5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Attn: Frankencar . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 07:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Attn: Frankencar . . .

Hi Steve --

Some of us would like you to test your mid-pipe on a 2K or 2K1 Maxima using the following parameters:

1) Install a cone intake on a 5-speed Maxima but do NOT install your mid-pipe. (It doesn't matter whose cone intake you use.) Dyno test this setup and record the results.

2) Immediately install your mid-pipe on the same 5-speed Maxima and reconnect THE SAME CONE INTAKE you used in Step 1. Dyno test this setup and record the results.

Post your results here.

Thanks.

Bruce (y2kse) . . .
Old 04-02-2002, 07:32 AM

You forgot to say please.

Please, Steve.

Old 04-02-2002, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by Adboy
You forgot to say please.

Please, Steve.

Hi travis
Old 04-02-2002, 07:53 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Maybe

If we do not see anything from FC, we should just all chuck in a few bucks to an owner of a 2k1 with that type of setup and make those runs.

I have a 2K1 and would be willing...but I am getting married this Sat so it would have to wait a couple of weeks. But I dont have the cabbage to sport about 1.5 hours of runs. It easy to move the hardware around, but does take some time as I dont like to rush it.

But I agree. It should be run stock, then stock tube with cone filter and then full FC tube and cone filter. That way all results would be known.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:56 AM

While your at it try a run with the new monsterflow filter too.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:57 AM

Re: Maybe

Originally posted by Colonel
It should be run stock, then stock tube with cone filter and then full FC tube and cone filter. That way all results would be known.
Roger that, Colonel. But my feeling is that Frankencar should run the tests and that a disinterested third-party should be present to audit the results. After all, they're the ones claiming that their mid-pipe alone yields an increase of 3 hp and 7 ft-lbs of torque. As far as I'm concerned, let them be the ones to prove it.

PUHLEASE!

PS: Yes Anachronism, Frankencar should run a test with the Monsterflow it they're alleging that it yields more horsepower and torque than some other brand of cone filter. The easy thing for them to do would be to run the tests as Colonel and I have suggested using a cone filter other than a Monsterflow. Then at the end of the tests, they can replace the cone filter they originally used with a Monsterflow and run a final test to prove (or disprove) their allegation.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:09 AM

Oh, yeah- Steve, while you’re at it, test a baseline and then put a Stillen sticker on your car and test it again- I want to put this "5HP for a sticker" thing to rest. Oh. And windshield washer nozzle lights. Test red, then blue, then green to see which ones yield more HP. Come to think of it, you might want to just rent a Dyno for a month.

In all seriousness, I think we’re getting carried away here, guys. I think Steve ought to Dyno test his filter to support HP/TQ claims for a 2K-2K1. As promised.

Anything beyond that, and he’d be doing us all a huge favor, so let’s treat it that way.

Hi YJ.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Adboy

In all seriousness, I think we’re getting carried away here, guys. I think Steve ought to Dyno test his filter to support HP/TQ claims for a 2K-2K1. As promised.
Understood, Adboy. But as Colonel pointed out, it's easy to move the hardware around. So if Steve is going to go to the trouble of keeping his word and testing his setup on a 2K-2K1 Maxima, he might as well kill as many birds with one stone as possible. Besides, the tests Colonel and I are proposing are the only FAIR way to judge the accuracy of his HP/TQ claims. Continuing to compare apples (Stillen Intake) to oranges (Frankencar Intake) when a REAL test (Frankencar Intake using the same filter with and without the mid-pipe) can easily be conducted could be viewed as a cop-out.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:31 AM

JWT intake with Frankencar midpipe

I originally had the JWT intake and recently bought the Franken Intake's midpipe. I installed the midpipe about two weeks ago and I definitely feel a little difference .

Haven't done a dyno but I was still able to gauge the increase in performance.

There is a mile long strip on staten island that me and my friends will race on every once in a while.

About .20 miles(little less than a quarter mile) from the starting line there is a large orange cone on the sidewalk.
When I had the JWT intake alone I would always hit that cone at
about 90 - 91 mph.

After the install of the midpipe by Frankencar performance I can now
consistently hit 94 - 96 mph when I reach that cone.

I know this is nowhere near as accurate as a dyno but I do see and experience gains from just the addition of the Frankencar Midpipe.
Not to mention.....the sh*t sounds so much better at WOT.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:34 AM

Re: JWT intake with Frankencar midpipe

Originally posted by acMAX
I originally had the JWT intake and recently bought the Franken Intake's midpipe. I installed the midpipe about two weeks ago and I definitely feel a little difference.
Thanks acMAX. It sounds like you achieved a great result by installing the mid-pipe, and it should provide Steve with even MORE encouragement to conduct his testing as Colonel and I have suggested.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:17 AM

I tested it on my 02 and got 5.9 FWHP with the addition of the franken ram. A 2000-2001 should not be much different as far as gains go.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by emax95
I tested it on my 02 and got 5.9 FWHP with the addition of the franken ram. A 2000-2001 should not be much different as far as gains go.
Hi emax95. I figured you'd show up sooner or later.

What kind of setup did you have before you installed the Frankencar Intake. Was it a Stillen Intake? If so, did you test the Frankencar Intake with the Stillen air filter or with the air filter that Frankencar provided? Was the Stillen air filter clean or dirty when you replaced it?

What I'm trying to determine by asking all these questions is whether ANY VARIABLE OTHER THAN THE ADDITION OF THE MID-PIPE could have contributed to the 5.9 FWHP increase you experienced when you installed the Frankencar Intake.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

at what RPM was the gain? Losses?

I installed it and it seems to have taken out some of the bottom end torque....
Old 04-02-2002, 11:35 AM

Re: Re: JWT intake with Frankencar midpipe

Originally posted by y2kse

Thanks acMAX. It sounds like you achieved a great result by installing the mid-pipe, and it should provide Steve with even MORE encouragement to conduct his testing as Colonel and I have suggested.
I have the same set up running in my car as acMAX. I definitely noticed a difference in sound and MAYBE SOME HP GAINS! I am waiting for my APEXI rev/speed meter to arrive and once it does we'll know what kind of gains it produces. I could do the setup you guys are asking for with just the JWT and then with the mid-section installed. Its no dyno, but for this minuscule amount of hp I don't believe Steve will run dynos because that cost money!
Old 04-02-2002, 11:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: JWT intake with Frankencar midpipe

Originally posted by CIRCO

. . . but for this minuscule amount of hp I don't believe Steve will run dynos because that cost money!
Perhaps you're right, CIRCO. But I understand that Steve promised to test his intake on a 2K-2K1 and he has not done so yet. He didn't make that promise to me so I can't vouch for it personally. But apparently he made it to others.

If Steve is going to take the time to actually run the tests on a 2K-2K1, then how much more expensive would it be to perform the testing that Colonel and I are suggesting?

I look forward to hearing your results once you get your APEXI rev/speed meter installed.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:57 PM

Bump. (Waiting for Steve to respond.)
Old 04-02-2002, 05:13 PM

Hi emax95. I figured you'd show up sooner or later.

What kind of setup did you have before you installed the Frankencar Intake. Was it a Stillen Intake? If so, did you test the Frankencar Intake with the Stillen air filter or with the air filter that Frankencar provided? Was the Stillen air filter clean or dirty when you replaced it?

What I'm trying to determine by asking all these questions is whether ANY VARIABLE OTHER THAN THE ADDITION OF THE MID-PIPE could have contributed to the 5.9 FWHP increase you experienced when you installed the Frankencar Intake.
I tested teh franken intake with my stillen intake. Anotehr words I had teh stock air box on and stillen intake and then I added the franken ram. This was done back to back on the same day. The gains are very real.

Also I just put the franken air filter on a couple of days ago so it had nothing to do with the testing.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:15 PM

Re: at what RPM was the gain? Losses?

Originally posted by Gnstrolv
I installed it and it seems to have taken out some of the bottom end torque....
The gains were from about 4K and on, below 4K the numbers were the same as before the ram, I experinced no loses anywhere.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by emax95

I tested teh franken intake with my stillen intake. Anotehr words I had teh stock air box on and stillen intake and then I added the franken ram. This was done back to back on the same day. The gains are very real.

Also I just put the franken air filter on a couple of days ago so it had nothing to do with the testing.
Super. So what you're telling me is that you tested your Stillen Intake without the Frankencar mid-pipe to establish a baseline, then you removed the SI and installed the Frankencar mid-pipe, then you reinstalled the SI without cleaning or changing the air filter, and then you tested it again. Having done that, you achieved an increase of 5.9 HP on a 2K2. If that's the case, you've met the parameters for the test. And the results are impressive. Thanks.

You stated that you'd expect comparable gains on a 2K and a 2K1. That's probably a fair statement.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:57 PM

Super. So what you're telling me is that you tested your Stillen Intake without the Frankencar mid-pipe to establish a baseline, then you removed the SI and installed the Frankencar mid-pipe, then you reinstalled the SI without cleaning or changing the air filter, and then you tested it again. Having done that, you achieved an increase of 5.9 HP on a 2K2. If that's the case, you've met the parameters for the test. And the results are impressive. Thanks.

You stated that you'd expect comparable gains on a 2K and a 2K1. That's probably a fair statement.
That is all correct, back to back to back all with in 30 minutes of each other
Old 04-02-2002, 09:09 PM

Very good!! And can we use this mid pipe with the Berk Intake???

By the way I love my Berk Intake!!!!! Installed it last Sunday. Not too loud and has a deep roar!!!!

Mark
Old 04-02-2002, 09:17 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

How much would the Mid pipe cost , so I can hook it up to my Berk Intake...
Old 04-02-2002, 09:19 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ok i'm here i've been making intakes all night. here's what i will do. i'll find a test subject, prolly RU4REAL, get him out to worcestor with his stock box on, make a run, take it off put just out cone and adapter on, make a run. install mid section make a run, install monsterflow instead of k/n make a run. i can't give a time frame but hopefully within the next couple weeks when we both have time, will he be a good third party audit. i'll also get pics and maybe vids and the dyno jet files. also we haven't alleged a hp and tq gain with the monster flow. i've always said we might see a hp or two, we don't expect to, the biggest reason is for smoother flow and the non maf damaging tactifying solution.

any other questions feel free to email me or post here and

emax always got my back man, thanks.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
the biggest reason is for smoother flow and the non maf damaging tactifying solution.

What do you mean by this??

And does your mid-pipe work with the Berk Filter??

Do you have a pic of the monster filter??

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-02-2002, 09:27 PM

yes the mid pipe will work with the berk intake and it's 65 shipped for 2k-2k1 and 60 shipped for 2k2

the monsterflow filter has a mild velocity stack along with patented turbulence reducers in teh filter structure that is supposed to smooth the air flow.

there are pics on www.monsterflow.com but the site is down, it's the same filter pr uses with their CAI's now.

-steve
Old 04-02-2002, 09:37 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Ok Steve, you'l be gettting an order from me for a MIDPIPE !
Old 04-02-2002, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
. . . here's what i will do. i'll find a test subject, prolly RU4REAL, get him out to worcestor with his stock box on, make a run, take it off put just out cone and adapter on, make a run. install mid section make a run, install monsterflow instead of k/n make a run. i can't give a time frame but hopefully within the next couple weeks when we both have time . . .
That's great, Steve. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Guys, I don't know if I'm stating the obvious, but when you install the Stillen intake with the stock resonator/mid-section it ends up bent/curved (particularly the accordion section) even more than with the stock airfilter box. The Franken Ram section is straight. I think if you could somehow install the Stillen Intake (or any other intake for that matter) and somehow adjust and straighten the stock resonator position, you very likely would not see any losses (I don't know if this is possible fitment-wise since I haven't tried it myself....). This is a significant variable that should also be looked at when making comparisons. There may not be a need to purchase a mid-section after all.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by sleepermax

Guys, I don't know if I'm stating the obvious, but when you install the Stillen intake with the stock resonator/mid-section it ends up bent/curved (particularly the accordion section) even more than with the stock airfilter box. The Franken Ram section is straight. I think if you could somehow install the Stillen Intake (or any other intake for that matter) and somehow adjust and straighten the stock resonator position, you very likely would not see any losses (I don't know if this is possible fitment-wise since I haven't tried it myself....). This is a significant variable that should also be looked at when making comparisons. There may not be a need to purchase a mid-section after all.
aside from the better sound and the ease of install, and proven gains from it. even with that part straight i think you will still see a pretty similiar gain with the mid pipe installed because it's still not smooth and the size changes all over the place.

-steve