5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best GXE mods - Bang for Buck

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 08:31 AM

Best GXE mods - Bang for Buck

I've been a lurker and occasional contributor to this board for 2 1/2 years. I own an early 2000 GXE 5-spd, Super Black with absolutely no factory options or packages. When I leased this car, my goal was to duplicate the Contour SVT experience (previous car) in a larger, much more reliable sedan. Early advice from many of you helped me significantly reduce wasted time and money on unneccessary mods. So, thanks to you all.

The advice, which I'll reiterate here, was as follows:

1. Wheels and tires - I did MAS MGRs and (don't gag, see Tirerack survey) Firestone SVX Z50 EP's. Great stick, horrible road noise as they wear.
2. Rear sway bar - I got the Addco and it works just fine.
3. Front strut bar - I got the Courtesy and ditto.
4. Lower, stiffer springs - I bought the Maxspeeds (my son likes the fact that they're yellow).
5. Better valved shocks - I purchased another member's 2001 AE's with low miles.

The net effect is just as I'd hoped - a slightly lowered, much better handling (my real priority, living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains) stealthy sedan that will keep going for many years. In essence, the best bang for my buck.

So, that's my advice to you GXE folks looking for a more real-world capable sedan. If you're never going to the local track or not planning to street race the thing, but you're tired of the 330's and A4's eating you up in the off-camber twisties, start with these.

Denver Doug

P.S. All these items are available through vendors mentioned on the board, other members selling in the Parts for Sale or Group Deals sections of the Forums or on ebay. Be resourceful.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:37 AM

Re: Best GXE mods - Bang for Buck

5. Better valved shocks - I purchased another member's 2001 AE's with low miles.

Are these the same as stock SE struts?

How many miles do you have w/ these struts and how is the ride -- bouncy?

Another cheap thril - K&N Drop-in air filter ~$40
Old 04-02-2002, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Best GXE mods - Bang for Buck

Originally posted by noflash

Another cheap thril - K&N Drop-in air filter ~$40
Or for $20.00 more, either an OSCAI or a Berk Tuning Intake (when Bryan runs his special pricing).
Old 04-02-2002, 09:41 AM

on my list to come: 17" wheel/tire set, window tint, and all new speakers...Pesonally, I do not believe in messing w/engine before the wtty is up. Well, maybe the y-pipe. The handling sucks a big time though..
Old 04-02-2002, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Best GXE mods - Bang for Buck

DenverDoug, NICE POST!!!now that is the kind of information I would think alot of folks would like to see, read, and hear about. Straight forward and to the point. A bit more detail regarding the AE struts would be nice, such as other applications it would work on. Did I mention, NICE POST!!!!

Another inexpensive option for some of you to free up those ponies in these engines, and throughout the driveline would be changing to synthetic fluids such as Amsoil. A good buck well spent in my opinion....
Old 04-02-2002, 10:13 AM

check out my homepage, love all my mods!!!
Old 04-02-2002, 10:22 AM

Re: Re: Best GXE mods - Bang for Buck

Are these the same as stock SE struts? How many miles do you have w/ these struts and how is the ride -- bouncy?

Noflash, I suspect they are exactly SE struts. I didn't really check for part numbers, but the GXE's were stamped NISSAN and the new ones were stamped TOKICO. I defer to more informed sources. And, I was told, and have no reason to doubt it based on the condition of the struts we they arrived (thank you, Derrick), that they had about 5,000 miles. The ride is significantly more controlled than the 60,000 mile GXE's I replaced, but it's unfair to compare, since I also replaced the springs with Maxspeeds which are stiffer and lowered the car slightly. All I can compare this set-up to is my former SVT Contour and the two cars are now functionally equal.

The other, unmentioned bonus, is to my eye, the car now looks exactly right. Plus, it's been my experience that plenty of SE folks upgrade quickly so low-mile dampers are easy to find.

If you're an SE guy or gal looking to upgrade, PM your favorite GXE owner and make them an offer they can't refuse. You'll both find the changes enjoyable.

Doug
Old 04-02-2002, 11:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Best GXE mods - Bang for Buck

So, you seem pretty happy with your setup. I am shopping for springs as well and was sold on H&R b/c of their "near-stock" ride and reputation. The only drawback I see is the rear appears much more lowered than the front - Like you had a load in your trunk. I researched and found that Maxspeed has a "near-stock" ride and a more even lowering for about half the price. Did you compare the two yourself? I know nothing about the quality of Maxspeed. I know H&R are the benchmark for high standards. Do you have a picture w/ the Maxspeed? None in "Shop Talk". Lastly, where did you purchase them?

Thanks