5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxspeed v. H&R

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 12:12 PM

Maxspeed v. H&R v. Progress

Here's my understanding so far:

H&R
-near stock ride
-excellent quality/ highest standards
-Twice the $ of Maxspeed
-uneven drop (looks like a load in the trunk)

Maxspeed
-near stock ride
-even drop
-less than half the $ of H&R
-Quality?
-reported squeaks and rattles?

Progress
-near stock ride
-even drop?

So let's have it. Pros, Cons, and Why.

PS where are Maxspeed besides Ebay?
Old 04-02-2002, 12:17 PM

you should throw progress springs in your little comparison
Old 04-02-2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by zman187
you should throw progress springs in your little comparison
happy now?
Old 04-02-2002, 12:39 PM
01BLKMaximaSE

Re: Maxspeed v. H&R v. Progress

[QUOTE]Originally posted by noflash
Here's my understanding so far:

H&R
-near stock ride
-excellent quality/ highest standards
-Twice the $ of Maxspeed
-uneven drop (looks like a load in the trunk)

Maxspeed
-near stock ride
-even drop
-less than half the $ of H&R
-Quality?
-reported squeaks and rattles?

Progress
-near stock ride
-even drop?

So let's have it. Pros, Cons, and Why.

PS where are Maxspeed besides Ebay?
[/QUOTE

I had H&R's installed 2 days ago, No problems at all. It looks good, it doesn't look like there is a load in the trunk though. The back is still a little higher than the front. It takes away the wheel gap perfectly.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Very sound, Mike

This is how i'd state the comparison between Maxspeed and H&R.

Maxspeed is an H&R-like spring of similar quality that costs half(or so) less and gives a lower drop.

I'm also going to the extent of saying that auto springs, by itself, won't necessarily cause squeaks and rattles.

Contact Wizzamax, he knows where to get them for $85+s/h (Group deal price)
Old 04-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Maxspeed v. H&R v. Progress

I had H&R's installed 2 days ago, No problems at all. It looks good, it doesn't look like there is a load in the trunk though. The back is still a little higher than the front. It takes away the wheel gap perfectly.
I am confused, how could the back be higher than the trunk? I have never seen a max w/ oem springs sit higher in the back than the front, it always looks as if there is a 80 pound bag of cement in the trunk. Do the H&R's level it out perfectly?
Old 04-02-2002, 02:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

On my H&R's the back definitely sits lower then the front.. Thats what it is with most people..
Old 04-02-2002, 03:28 PM

Progress...pretty much even...for me its not even anymore cuz my system is weighing down the back...i like the ride...i need shocks though...progress goes lower than the other 2...also i have no squeaks or rattles, unless the groaning from the shocks counts...
i cant really say much about the other two...gonna be about
$130 + S&H..
atw
Old 04-02-2002, 04:34 PM

I have the max speed and like them alot.

The drop evens the gap so they are the same in the front and rear.

Ride is close to stock but stiffer over bumps and groves. (good in turns!)

Check out the group deal forum, they are on their 3rd round now.

For $85 bux, they are worth it. As far as quality, haven't heard of any problems.

I think eibach are the best performance springs but the ride was to stiff for me.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:47 PM

To be honest, maxspeed isn't that good of a brand. Simply put, it is just a brand that started by selling rice accessories for Honda. As the company grows bigger, it starts to sell springs.....

Maybe the quality of the MaxSpeed spring has improved, but H&R is just guranteed for quality......
Old 04-02-2002, 05:03 PM
Very sound, Mike

Because? What's your experience with Maxspeed?

Rice is simply defined as adding parts to a car that doesn't benefit its performance. As far as i know Maxspeed doesn't produce them even from the start. They've done well with their Coilovers in the past and up to the present.

And what's wrong with a growing product base? Everyone starts somewhere you know.

Originally posted by sympatico
To be honest, maxspeed isn't that good of a brand. Simply put, it is just a brand that started by selling rice accessories for Honda.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:15 PM

decision time

Well, unless anybody can point me to a reputable dealer of Maxspeeds for an '01 Maxima, I am going with H&R. I can only find them in group deals and that apparently takes weeks and disclosing you credit card info in an email. Not down with that.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:50 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: decision time

I paid via paypal.

If i'm not mistaken the deal was done through Volkscafe.com , Double check with Wizzamax about this. NOt going through the group deal prices are usually in the $140 range though... so that's not much of an incentive to forego and just get the H&R instead.

Originally posted by noflash
Well, unless anybody can point me to a reputable dealer of Maxspeeds for an '01 Maxima, I am going with H&R. I can only find them in group deals and that apparently takes weeks and disclosing you credit card info in an email. Not down with that.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:14 PM

Re: Re: decision time

Originally posted by soundmike
I paid via paypal.
If i'm not mistaken the deal was done through Volkscafe.com , Double check with Wizzamax about this. NOt going through the group deal prices are usually in the $140 range though... so that's not much of an incentive to forego and just get the H&R instead.
great topic!!!

soundmike, you're talking about MSRP sellers use to "build up value" of what they're selling. And we all know what to do with MSRP

Sounds like MaxSpeed, H&R, Progress, and Eibachs are about the same, but experiences you guys have are different. Why is that-because the same brand can be made @ different factory, different kind of steel?
Because you can kiss an *** to the wtty on those springs..Once you install them, you already spent 150-200bux on labor..so whats this, if you dont like 'em, then pay for labor again?
Old 04-02-2002, 08:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: decision time

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

great topic!!!

soundmike, you're talking about MSRP sellers use to "build up value" of what they're selling. And we all know what to do with MSRP

Sounds like MaxSpeed, H&R, Progress, and Eibachs are about the same, but experiences you guys have are different. Why is that-because the same brand can be made @ different factory, different kind of steel?
Because you can kiss an *** to the wtty on those springs..Once you install them, you already spent 150-200bux on labor..so whats this, if you dont like 'em, then pay for labor again?
Find some friends and do the install yourself! Its not that hard.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...82_18_full.jpg

Maxspeeds go for about $140 on ebay, starting bid at $95.

We'll just have to see how the maxspeed's stand up over time.

I thought cattman y's were the best because of the materials used and now I might have to send it back for a faulty flex..you never can tell.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:53 PM

Go here for personal purchase from someone who is selling theirs from the group buy...same price so value is retained on purchase

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=109492

Or contact the seller

Email seller : Borgioli74@aol.com

PayPal to : vwcafe@volkscafe.com

and see what kind of purchase you can work out with him directly.

Bear in mind thewre are now over 60 people who have purchased the MaxSpeed springs and I have seen no posted complaints...I hav elooked specifically for them in fact...granted they are not the lowest drop but they are the lowest price for the set and the performance is SOLID!

Judge for yourself when you get them though...as it was said before...everyone starts somewhere and Eibach and H&R parts are found on MANY MANY MANY riced out cars...don't think a stopped clock is not right twice a day for nothing.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
Go here for personal purchase from someone who is selling theirs from the group buy...same price so value is retained on purchase
the price on used will eventually come down, because if you buy new for 85, who would pay the same for used?! non-sense

yes, 85 is the best, and you can not beat that. However, due to the complexity of install, I would rather pay 50 more dollars but to make sure they will give me the "even" drop, near-stock ride so I can enjoy my car on hwy, no squealin noises, and other B.S. From what I hear, Maxspeeds just give a slight drop...some say thats good, some say its bad. If you do drop it, then why drop only a little?
Old 04-02-2002, 11:54 PM

My Maxspeeds dropped my car 1-1/8" in the front and 5/8" in the back. It looks GREAT. I didn't want so much drop that my car looked like a lowrider, but I wanted to close the wheel gap & improve handling.

The springs made a little creaking noise the first week or so and are now perfectly quiet. Ride is slightly firmer over bumps, like on rough roads, but only slightly. Handling improved quite a bit.

Tony
Old 04-03-2002, 05:37 AM

I think the drop is very good. I have stated before: Front gap went from entire hand, down to about two fingers. The back only went down from 3 fingers to 2 fingers, which is perfect because I didn't want "the load in the trunk look".
Old 04-03-2002, 07:23 AM

He's an '02. Are those the same springs as for an '01?
Old 04-03-2002, 07:43 AM

to Tony and 2000SE

Originally posted by 2000 SE
I think the drop is very good. I have stated before: Front gap went from entire hand, down to about two fingers. The back only went down from 3 fingers to 2 fingers, which is perfect because I didn't want "the load in the trunk look".
No Bottoming Out, or Bouncing? Just Good Fun?
Old 04-03-2002, 08:51 AM

Ok, ok, someone who actually has H&R springs (and everything else stock) does there actually look like there's a load in the trunk? The gap in the rear well is smaller in the 02 Max to begin with, but the H&R lowers the front by slightly more than the rear, so I would at least think the ratio would be preserved, not that it would start leaning towards the look of the rear dipping... Please educate, because I am seriously considering these and I don't wanna look rear-heavy!
Old 04-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: decision time

huh? i don't get your point about the MSRP thing. The springs go on ebay for 90-140 each on average. Groupd deals go for $85.

The drop, when people say "Doesn't go very low" is in relation to some other spring that drops you 2" or so, which to me and quite a few others is just too low and will make your max look somewhat uneven.

The 1.7/1.4(F/R)" drop of the Maxspeed is similar to the H&R's. This is also a good enough drop that you feel and see a difference without necessarily having to change your stocks outright because the drop is just too low for the shocks to handle in the first place.

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

great topic!!!

Old 04-03-2002, 09:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: decision time

Originally posted by soundmike
huh? i don't get your point about the MSRP thing. The springs go on ebay for 90-140 each on average. Groupd deals go for $85.

The drop, when people say "Doesn't go very low" is in relation to some other spring that drops you 2" or so, which to me and quite a few others is just too low and will make your max look somewhat uneven.

The 1.7/1.4(F/R)" drop of the Maxspeed is similar to the H&R's. This is also a good enough drop that you feel and see a difference without necessarily having to change your stocks outright because the drop is just too low for the shocks to handle in the first place.
...Did you actually measure and get a 1.7" front and 1.4" rear drop from your Maxspeeds? I had been hearing 1-1/8" front and 5/8" rear from Maxspeeds, so I am a little confused...
Old 04-03-2002, 10:10 AM

besides all these droppings...

How's the body roll/handling/control with H&R and/or Maxspeed?
Old 04-03-2002, 10:10 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: decision time

Nope. That's from the stickies above. The measurements i've seen on board are done by the usual "Fender/wheel well-line to top of tires" method which isn't very accurate IMHO as tire pressure can easily change the distance. But the photo's people have taken and posted should give you a good idea of how even the drop actually is.

It's not too low, nor too high. It's just right. This is the same reason several people have stated the drop and ride is similar to H&R... because it is.

The drop is lower in front than in the back according to spec for a reason. To make the overall drop (F+R) equal in relation to the wheel well clearance and horizontal plane.

Originally posted by Matthew

...Did you actually measure and get a 1.7" front and 1.4" rear drop from your Maxspeeds? I had been hearing 1-1/8" front and 5/8" rear from Maxspeeds, so I am a little confused...
Old 04-03-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
My Maxspeeds dropped my car 1-1/8" in the front and 5/8" in the back. It looks GREAT. I didn't want so much drop that my car looked like a lowrider, but I wanted to close the wheel gap & improve handling.

The springs made a little creaking noise the first week or so and are now perfectly quiet. Ride is slightly firmer over bumps, like on rough roads, but only slightly. Handling improved quite a bit.

Tony
How much did it affect your wheel alignment? Did it cause the tires to have a 'negative camber' where the wheel looked like it was 'tipped inward' on the top near the fender?
Old 04-03-2002, 10:44 AM
Very sound, Mike

Any drop below 2" (0.1 - 1.9") if i remember right, will not need any camber adjustments.

Heck, actually the Maxima doesn't even need camber kits in the first place

There was a good post somewhere about the myth's on lowering which you should read. Negative/positive camber doesn't always mean it's a bad thing. In fact on some cars it's needed... just depends on the type of suspension system used.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:39 AM

How much did it affect your wheel alignment? Did it cause the tires to have a 'negative camber' where the wheel looked like it was 'tipped inward' on the top near the fender?
I had an alignment after the springs were installed. They guy said it didn't change very much. My guess is that I probably could have saved my $$ and not even had one done. But I figured better safe than sorry.

Tony
Old 04-03-2002, 11:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: decision time

I'm not sure if it's possible that you might have different results from the same springs on different cars, etc. But I measured my car from fender to ground before and after the springs were installed and that's how I got my results. Same tires, so tire pressure had nothing to do with it. I don't care what Maxspeed claims is the drop...mine was 1-1/8" in front and 5/8" in the back. Click my homepage to see the drop.

Tony
Old 04-03-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: to Tony and 2000SE

No Bottoming Out, or Bouncing? Just Good Fun?
No, none of that. I was quite happy with the results. I wanted to change the comfort of my ride as little as possible but still have the added benefit of lowering (cause it looks better) and handling. The springs did both. Now whether or not H&R would have done a better job I'll never know.

If someone wants to buy me some H&R springs and pay for installation, I'd be happy to report on my observations!!

Tony
Old 04-03-2002, 11:53 AM

Re: Re: to Tony and 2000SE

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

No, none of that. I was quite happy with the results. I wanted to change the comfort of my ride as little as possible but still have the added benefit of lowering (cause it looks better) and handling. The springs did both. Now whether or not H&R would have done a better job I'll never know.

If someone wants to buy me some H&R springs and pay for installation, I'd be happy to report on my observations!!

Tony
Thanks for the tip. Sorry I can't help you eith the H&R. I think I'll go with Maxspeed if I can find a set.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: to Tony and 2000SE

I think I'll go with Maxspeed if I can find a set.
You can get them on EBaymotors.com or contact the seller in the For Sale board who is selling his new at Group Deal price...look around and you can find them...Good Luck and Happy Motoring!
Old 04-03-2002, 06:20 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I ordered a set of Maxspeeds from another member. I will be getting them sometime next week, so I will install them soon. I was curious what you guys have paid for installation.. I dont really want to try this myself...
Old 04-03-2002, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
Progress...pretty much even...for me its not even anymore cuz my system is weighing down the back...i like the ride...i need shocks though...progress goes lower than the other 2...also i have no squeaks or rattles, unless the groaning from the shocks counts...
i cant really say much about the other two...gonna be about
$130 + S&H..
atw
That may not be moaning, it may be your control arm. I thought my shocks were noisy, but it was my left control arm.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:31 PM

Also, I have been made fun of already for my uneven drop with my H&R's. Mind you, when you say H&R, they still hold some respect.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:15 PM

ebay

I found a pair of Maxspeed on Ebay. Are all Maxspeed springs the same? These were on an Accord for a year. I don't think this is the deal. Any comments?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:22 PM

Accord is a different car. so the springs should be different.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by theMax
I have the max speed and like them alot.

The drop evens the gap so they are the same in the front and rear.

Ride is close to stock but stiffer over bumps and groves. (good in turns!)

Check out the group deal forum, they are on their 3rd round now.

For $85 bux, they are worth it. As far as quality, haven't heard of any problems.

I think eibach are the best performance springs but the ride was to stiff for me.
hey, there

I have eibach pro-kit springs with tokico shocks, the front way higher than the back, I do have Maxspeed springs brand new in box, and right now I deciding if I should switch springs so the front will be even with the back gap wise. And this comparison is confusing me even more. I know eibach is a better brand and quality but the question is will the maxspeed lowering spring last in the long run ,which brand will out perform the other, or are they the same quality. Is it because one is more known (eibach) and the other is newer (Maxspeed)or is lowering springs all the same technology these days nothing new in concept is brand a real issue. Please help me out, Very Very Confused!!!!
Old 04-04-2002, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
I ordered a set of Maxspeeds from another member. I will be getting them sometime next week, so I will install them soon. I was curious what you guys have paid for installation.. I dont really want to try this myself...
I paid $100, but average is from $125-$175

NOFLASH,

I don't have clearance problems or anything of that nature. I will say that I am getting comfortable with the handling and starting to push the car. I love the fact that the body roll has been reduced, but our seats are still not supportive enough.

Quick Reply: Maxspeed v. H&R