5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maximizd..Have a question about carbon-fiber

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2000 | 02:52 PM

I have an idea about the carbon fiber. Maybe someone could help.

How hard would it be to have someone make carbon fiber appliques (sp?) for the taillamps? Maybe to make them look like SE taillamps.....covering up all that red-useless stuff on the GXE! Although this may not be possible because the taillamps are not perfectly flat and they wrap around to the side of the car.

But if this were possible...it would probably have to be in more than one piece for each lamp...a smaller piece would probably be needed to go around the "profile view" or wrap-around part of the taillamps.

Also I was wondering if anyone could let me know if there are different colors of carbon fiber...such as white or something.

Just wondering about this. I just can't warm up to the look of the taillamps on my car....I just think it needs something. And since my Maxima is Icelandic Pearl I do not feel that tinted SE taillamps would look right. If there is such a thing as a white carbon fiber...I might give that a go!
Old 11-23-2000 | 09:12 PM

Carbon, nice

Carbon Fiber is like fiberglass, except it's not glass fibers, it's carbon fibers...

It shouldn't be harder than molding something from fiberglass. (woven sheets with epoxy) The questions is, who will or can do it. Carbon fiber is also more expensive. It's natural color is black. But I think the colored ones are either colored fibers of other materials like kevlar weaved into the fibers or mixed in with it.

I don't know any suppliers of raw materials (carbon fiber sheets) or how to really go about doing it. All I know is it'll take time and money to build a mold for the lights and then actually forming the shell to cover the red part of the rear lights.

good luck on finding someone that can do it.

Old 11-24-2000 | 09:19 AM

Originally posted by warrlocked
I have an idea about the carbon fiber. Maybe someone could help.

How hard would it be to have someone make carbon fiber appliques (sp?) for the taillamps? Maybe to make them look like SE taillamps.....covering up all that red-useless stuff on the GXE! Although this may not be possible because the taillamps are not perfectly flat and they wrap around to the side of the car.

But if this were possible...it would probably have to be in more than one piece for each lamp...a smaller piece would probably be needed to go around the "profile view" or wrap-around part of the taillamps.

Also I was wondering if anyone could let me know if there are different colors of carbon fiber...such as white or something.

Just wondering about this. I just can't warm up to the look of the taillamps on my car....I just think it needs something. And since my Maxima is Icelandic Pearl I do not feel that tinted SE taillamps would look right. If there is such a thing as a white carbon fiber...I might give that a go!
Well, I have seen other colors woven into carbon fiber at some dash kit makers sites, but I have never seen them in person. I think getting custom pieces made to do what you want would be expensive and the end result may not look like what you were trying to achieve with the flat stick on parts. I don't think the lights lend themselves to the flat pieces. You could try the similar effect with the carbon fiber look vinyl film and try to cut your own pieces out of it and stick them on. You can get this stuff in the autoparts store or order it from this guy Jeff at AP Signworks. The vinly should only cost a few bucks. Since there are no aftermarket tail light options for the 2K at this time, this may be your only hope, OR you can buy a set of SE tailights from a dealer (Southpoint or Courtesy Nissan) and put them in yourself.