5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 06:24 PM

Hesitation

I've posted on this before, but I'm still experiencing this "problem". I experience momentary hesitation under hard acceleration in almost any gear (I have 6 speed 2k2). It's not all the time, just when I floor it or thereabouts.

Anyone else experiencing this and have mentioned it to your dealer? It is annoying, and my 2k1 didn't do this. Thoughts? srm
Old 04-03-2002, 06:32 PM
Boost.....

Re: Hesitation

Originally posted by Maxmann
I've posted on this before, but I'm still experiencing this "problem". I experience momentary hesitation under hard acceleration in almost any gear (I have 6 speed 2k2). It's not all the time, just when I floor it or thereabouts.

Anyone else experiencing this and have mentioned it to your dealer? It is annoying, and my 2k1 didn't do this. Thoughts? srm
Yeah I got it too.

If your car's in a gear traveling at about 2.5-3 rpm's and you WOT...it will hesitate......Its because of the throttle by wire shat.

If you carry the RPM"s thru each gear....you should not feel a hesitation.

Talk to me.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:38 PM

hesitation

I also thought I felt a hesitation under WOT. But after having driven my 02SE several times now under these conditions, I think my expectation time maybe too fast. I've had a few occasions where I've floored it from a stop and I've yet to have a case where I didn't come out first. Granted this doesn't mean that my car is not hesitating. I've just noticed that I don't see the hesitation anymore. It may be that I've become used to it. It may be that I'm more anxious about the "race". I suspect that its more of getting a realistic expectation of a "launch".
Old 04-03-2002, 09:00 PM

Re: hesitation

It feels like a boost kicks in
I kinda like it.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:14 PM

Me too...

Yep, I feel it also. It doesn't even have to be full throtle, sometimes just half way will make it hesitate. It is quite annoying. When I bring it in to the dealer for my first oil change it's one of the things on my list to address.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:22 PM

Well, I can't say I'm glad others are experiencing this, but at least I know it is not just with mine. It does feel sort of like something "kicks in" when you accelerate and true it doesn't have to be WOT. If I feather the throttle smoothly, it usually doesn't occur; it is just when I really go for it I'll get the little hiccup, so to speak. I don't like it, but apparently it is part of the package. Something they'll probably fix for the 03's, I'm sure. I haven't yet mentioned it to my dealer; can't imagine what they'd do. But might as well get it on record in the event it is something serious. Maybe a TSB will come out for it, who knows.

srm
Old 04-06-2002, 07:21 AM
fatfossil

Acceleration hesitiation in my 2002 6-spd

Yep, I've experienced the hesitation too! It's caused by a lack of fuel to the engine.....basically fuel starvation. No fuel = hesitation. It sucks I know. It gives me a pit in my stomach every time it happens but what can you do. BTW, my Max is completely stock, no mods to cause the fuel starvation problem. I hope they can fix this!

Old 04-06-2002, 07:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe a TSB will come out for it, who knows.

srm
It might, but only if enough people complain about it. I'd recommend that EVERYONE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM report it to their dealer. If your dealer doesn't know how to correct it . . . and they won't . . . insist that the problem be escalated to Nissan North America. If you can get a Zone Rep to acknowledge that the problem exists, you're half way home. But be patient. Even if the Zone Rep acknowledges the problem, it may be months before a TSB is issued. How do I know? I've already been through this TWICE (fuel-cut issue and ignition coils)!
Old 04-06-2002, 10:05 AM

Re: Acceleration hesitiation in my 2002 6-spd

Originally posted by fatfossil
It gives me a pit in my stomach every time it happens but what can you do.
since the throttle is electronic couldnt a simple ECU reprogramming fix the problem?
Old 04-06-2002, 10:08 AM
RKS

Re: Hesitation

Same problem here. 2K2 SE 6M. I thought it was the new throttle design Anybody want to organize this effort to have Niddan look at it?
Old 04-06-2002, 10:10 AM

Re: Re: Acceleration hesitiation in my 2002 6-spd

Originally posted by Newman96SE

since the throttle is electronic couldnt a simple ECU reprogramming fix the problem?
Probably. But consider the procedure. First, the problem has to be acknowledged by NNA. Then NNA has to make a request of Nissan Japan to fix the problem. Then Nissan Japan has to agree to the request. Then the appropriate engineers at Nissan Japan have to write or edit the code. Then it has to be tested. Then Nissan Japan has to inform NNA. Then NNA has to publish the TSB.

Are you starting to get a feel for this?
Old 04-06-2002, 10:14 AM

Re: Re: Hesitation

Originally posted by RKS

Same problem here. 2K2 SE 6M. I thought it was the new throttle design Anybody want to organize this effort to have Niddan look at it?
The only "organization" required is for each individual experiencing the problem to bring it to the attention of their dealer. When the dealer can't fix it, the operative word is "escalate". DON'T GET PUSHY! Remember your dealer will NOT be able to fix the problem. All you want your dealer to do is "escalate" the issue to your local NNA Zone Rep. Eventually the word will get to NNA (if it hasn't gotten there already) and the process of correcting it will begin.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:33 AM
swallac2

I have posted here about it too. I feel it,and plan to tell the dealer about it when I go back for an oil change.

Old 04-06-2002, 10:40 AM

This appears to be a prevalent problem with 2K2's, so it's possible that NNA may already know about it. Don't assume anything, however. EVERYONE EXPERIENCING THE PROBLEM SHOULD BRING IT TO THE ATTENTION OF THEIR DEALERS. You never know which dealer will cooperate and ask the Zone Rep to investigate. And you never know which Zone Rep is going to run with it. (Take it from me . . . some Zone Reps are better than others!)
Old 04-06-2002, 05:59 PM

I have it too. It drives me crazy. It almost feels like an automatic downshifting. I bought a standard so that I don't have to feel that.
Old 04-06-2002, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by bhess
I have it too. It drives me crazy. It almost feels like an automatic downshifting. I bought a standard so that I don't have to feel that.
You know what to do.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:18 PM

EXACTLY!
Old 04-06-2002, 07:19 PM

EXACTLY! As a matter of fact, when I first posted on this a couple months ago, that is how I described it. It is strange and I don't like it, either!!! We gotta do something. I've already emailed this thread to my dealer. I'm gonna start working them over, now!!!

srm
Old 04-06-2002, 08:09 PM
swallac2

EXACTLY! As a matter of fact, when I first posted on this a couple months ago, that is how I described it. It is strange and I don't like it, either!!! We gotta do something. I've already emailed this thread to my dealer. I'm gonna start working them over, now!!!

srm
GET ON IT!!!

Old 04-06-2002, 09:35 PM

Remember, your dealer CANNOT fix your problem. What you want your dealer to do is open a case with Nissan North America in order to have a Zone Rep come out and look at the problem. YOU CANNOT OPEN A CASE WITH NISSAN NORTH AMERICA YOURSELF. You need your dealer's cooperation to accomplish that. So be prepared to balance your tenacity and persistence with an equal measure of tact and diplomacy. In other words, be firm but be nice. Once again, it's easier to attract bees with honey than with a baseball bat!
Old 04-07-2002, 04:30 AM

Letter to Nissan

I wrote a letter to Nissan in my "Dealership review" about the hesitation. We'll see if they say anything.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Acceleration hesitiation in my 2002 6-spd

Originally posted by fatfossil
Yep, I've experienced the hesitation too! It's caused by a lack of fuel to the engine.....basically fuel starvation. No fuel = hesitation. It sucks I know. It gives me a pit in my stomach every time it happens but what can you do. BTW, my Max is completely stock, no mods to cause the fuel starvation problem. I hope they can fix this!
My car did the exact same thing when I first got it. I thought it was poor timing on part of the variable intake and when I nailed the throttle as it always happens around the same rpm. When I installed my FrankenCar intake, the bog was completely gone, so I don't believe it's a fuel problem but rather an air flow issue. I replaced my stock intake setup (after about 8000 kms of driving on the FC - car now has 18000 km) and the bog is back. I'm convinced it's something in the air intake setup causing everyone the grief.

Albert
Old 04-07-2002, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by y2kse
Remember, your dealer CANNOT fix your problem. What you want your dealer to do is open a case with Nissan North America in order to have a Zone Rep come out and look at the problem. YOU CANNOT OPEN A CASE WITH NISSAN NORTH AMERICA YOURSELF. You need your dealer's cooperation to accomplish that. So be prepared to balance your tenacity and persistence with an equal measure of tact and diplomacy. In other words, be firm but be nice. Once again, it's easier to attract bees with honey than with a baseball bat!
Bravo! What you should do is first duplicate our concern (I have it too) to the service manager/shop foreman/master tech so that they see it occur and agree that it is NOT acceptable. They in turn SHOULD contact tech assistance (or if Nissan has a form to submit?) to advise them of this condition so that a fix could be investigated and then a TSB applied. This process could take weeks (if they already know about it) or months (if they don't). I they don't agree that it's not acceptable call Nissan cust. service and they will open a case and then the Nissan District Service Rep will more than likely get involved, this will of course add time but MAY actually speed results in the end. As usual y2kse has a good understanding of the workings of the dealers service departments.

thanks -- SS
l8tr
Old 04-07-2002, 02:42 PM

I think the hesitation may have more to do with the variable flow muffler than with the electronic throttle. It only opens up under high demand, which would naturally cause a little bit of hesitation.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by tbirdrob
I think the hesitation may have more to do with the variable flow muffler than with the electronic throttle. It only opens up under high demand, which would naturally cause a little bit of hesitation.
Nope. Guess again.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:28 PM
john2002max

Yes I have it too, I bought my 2K2 6 speed back in November and at first it seemed real bad, but after about 5,000 miles it seems to have gotten better. I also dropped in a K&N air filter that replaced the stock paper one. That seemed to help alot. I now have over 7,000 miles and I don't really notice it, or I might just be used to it! I owned a 2K1 5 speed and it never hesitated at all. Nissan really needs to fix this!

Old 04-07-2002, 05:36 PM

Re: Letter to Nissan

Originally posted by nddst
I wrote a letter to Nissan in my "Dealership review" about the hesitation. We'll see if they say anything.
Trust me. They won't say anything at all. If you want the situation dealt with, you'll have to take your case to Nissan via your dealer. Nissan will not come to you.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by john2002max

Yes I have it too, I bought my 2K2 6 speed back in November and at first it seemed real bad, but after about 5,000 miles it seems to have gotten better. I also dropped in a K&N air filter that replaced the stock paper one. That seemed to help alot. I now have over 7,000 miles and I don't really notice it, or I might just be used to it! I owned a 2K1 5 speed and it never hesitated at all. Nissan really needs to fix this!
I've got a theory in the works, goes something like this:

Maybe it is a "design feature" in the electronic drive by wire, that is meant to prevent the engine from leaning out too much? and promote smooth throttle response. With conventional cable actuated throttle plates, there is already a split second delay during which your foot needs to move to depress the pedal and pull on the throttle cable which then opens the throttle plate allowing more air into the engine. Perhaps with the drive by wire, since where your foot is on the pedal is directly relative to the position of the throttle, when you jam on the gas, the throttle plate moves to WOT in a smooth and controlled fashion, hence the delay.

This could be for a number of reasons: bad drivers with twitchy feet that could cause a rough ride with the ultra sensitive drive by wire.
.. Preventing damage to a more delicate throttle unit, emissions purposes..

I don't know, I've not really noticed it much on my 2k2, but then again i've been driving it nicely. I have noticed it however on my girlfriend's newbeetle turbo s, which is also drive by wire, so perhaps it is universal to drive by wire systems. Either way, I think it is an air intake issue as aftermarket intakes seem to have a mitigating effect on the problem. I have noticed also that the engine seems to be choking for air at lower RPMs, hopefully this will not be a problem when I install my intake. The stock intake system looks VERY VERY restrictive and inefficient.

Basically it might be an overcompensation for a hypersensitive Drive by wire system. ECU reprogram might fix it.

Please remember, this is all PURE SPECULATION. I could be TOTALLY WRONG.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:04 PM

your throtle cables. Nissan has a tendency to leave them loose. If the cable gives slack without accel, you can loosen the two nuts and stretch the cable back a bit so it is tight. That is what I did to my AE.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by 20th maxstyle
your throtle cables. Nissan has a tendency to leave them loose. If the cable gives slack without accel, you can loosen the two nuts and stretch the cable back a bit so it is tight. That is what I did to my AE.
Say what?
Old 04-07-2002, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by 20th maxstyle

2k2=Drive By Wire=Electronic Throttle control= NO THROTTLE CABLE
Old 04-07-2002, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

I've got a theory in the works, goes something like this . . .
Well as long as we're speculating, try this one out for size. Maybe the hiccup is an emissions issue. Perhaps when you stomp on the accelerator, you flood the cylinder with more gasoline than the engine can burn efficiently, thereby releasing too many hydrocarbons. As a result, the ECU may be programmed to momentarily retard the ignition when it senses WOT.

That may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. Believe it or not, emissions control is the reason why the engine in a 2K or 2K1 Maxima M/T will not decelerate instantly when you accelerate at WOT and then release the accelerator while simultaneously depressing the clutch. I'm not sure if Nissan has fixed that "problem" in the 2K2 M/Ts. But the condition and the reason for it have been confirmed in at least one published article.

You just gotta love OBD II.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:28 PM

Glad I got my AE. You guys have too many issues to deal with. Good luck with that "way too high tech for me" stuff.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:15 PM
swallac2

I mentioned this in a former thread: Perhaps it's the variable length intake runners. I have a friend with a GTI and he said the VW guys complained about a similar problem. Is the intake runner just two diff lengths or is it totatly variable? Stepping down on the throttle more then you already are may cause the computer to change the runners. You don't feel it at constant full throttle because the runners are already switched. It seems to happen when you are steady on the throttle and then step into it a bit more. You don't have to floor it, just step into it a bit. It feels like the torque converter on an auto trans unlocking. That's the best way I can describe it.

Old 04-07-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by swallac2
I mentioned this in a former thread: Perhaps it's the variable length intake runners. I have a friend with a GTI and he said the VW guys complained about a similar problem. Is the intake runner just two diff lengths or is it totatly variable? Stepping down on the throttle more then you already are may cause the computer to change the runners. You don't feel it at constant full throttle because the runners are already switched. It seems to happen when you are steady on the throttle and then step into it a bit more. You don't have to floor it, just step into it a bit. It feels like the torque converter on an auto trans unlocking. That's the best way I can describe it.
The 3.0L engine also has variable length intake runners, swallac2. But I've never heard of the problem described here occuring on a 3.0L engine. So unless Nissan changed the design of the intake runners on the 3.5L engine, I doubt that's the source of the problem.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:56 PM
swallac2

The 3.0L engine also has variable length intake runners, swallac2. But I've never heard of the problem described here occuring on a 3.0L engine. So unless Nissan changed the design of the intake runners on the 3.5L engine, I doubt that's the source of the problem.
Ah, ok wasn't aware of that. Back to the drawing board.

Old 04-23-2002, 02:57 PM

Who wants to play ???

All righty, boys and girls. We have Nissan's attention. What I need to know is whether anyone has had this condition documented by their dealer. If not, someone needs to be willing to take their vehicle to a dealer and have the condition documented. At that point, I'm fairly confident we can get a Zone Rep from NNA to look at the vehicle.

Somebody talk to me . . .
Old 04-23-2002, 04:52 PM
swallac2

Re: Who wants to play ???

All righty, boys and girls. We have Nissan's attention. What I need to know is whether anyone has had this condition documented by their dealer. If not, someone needs to be willing to take their vehicle to a dealer and have the condition documented. At that point, I'm fairly confident we can get a Zone Rep from NNA to look at the vehicle.

Somebody talk to me . . .
What do you mean we have their attention? HAve you talked to someone? I mentioned it during my first dealer visit, but Carmax's service sucks (won't be goign back there) and they "didn't feel it." I decided to wait a bit longer til the car broke in. My second oil change is coming up, so I will be taking it to a different dealer and do a little ride along. That probably won't be until June though.

So what do you know, elighten us?

Old 04-23-2002, 05:13 PM

Well as long as we're speculating, try this one out for size. Maybe the hiccup is an emissions issue. Perhaps when you stomp on the accelerator, you flood the cylinder with more gasoline than the engine can burn efficiently, thereby releasing too many hydrocarbons. As a result, the ECU may be programmed to momentarily retard the ignition when it senses WOT.

That may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. Believe it or not, emissions control is the reason why the engine in a 2K or 2K1 Maxima M/T will not decelerate instantly when you accelerate at WOT and then release the accelerator while simultaneously depressing the clutch. I'm not sure if Nissan has fixed that "problem" in the 2K2 M/Ts. But the condition and the reason for it have been confirmed in at least one published article.

You just gotta love OBD II.
Good theory, was what I was trying to get at with the whole emissions thing, you worded it better than I could. hehe..

I plan on complaining to my dealer next time I am in there.

BTW does anyone know why when I shift under semi-hard acceleration, sometimes my rev's continue upward about 500 rpm in neutral until I release the clutch. I have observed this many times making sure that I fully released the throttle.. what's going on!?

Swallac2: I sold my old car to carmax, and yes, their service does suck. When I was waiting for my papers, I saw an old lady that had been waiting there for 3 hours for an oil change. BTW if anyone bought a sunlit sand 2000 GLE from carmax plates 4PTE somethin, take care of her!!
Old 04-23-2002, 05:51 PM

My hesitation happens right as the clutch is finishing engaging. Is that where everyone else is experiencing their hesitation? My 93 SE 5sp did the same thing. I just thought it was me. DUH.

Buzz

Quick Reply: Hesitation