5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Max vs IS300

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2000, 07:16 AM
wht2kmax

Thankgiving evening got a call from Hogan AKA It so k.
"mini meet on Frannie Lew" Said Hogan. Brett(confused) is here too. Wut the hell, had too much turkey anyway. There I was 15 minutes later in front of the 7-eleven.

We messed around a bit, couldn't go all out. There were literally 5-0 on every other block!!! But we manage to get a couple good runs.

Just I was sitting in front of a light saw the familiar white/ yellow lights combo rolling down. Hah!!! Its an IS 300... Said to myself, I like to see wut this puppy can do!! The guys in the tinted banana lexus would not pull up. Said to myself, maybe hes not ready yet. I was fully prepped, had the "shift by itelf in 2".. As we came up to the second light, this Lexus again stayed about 3 cars behind in the next lane.... I gave up!! He just would NOT run with me, Keep in mind my car is all stock from the outside with the 16" stock rims, except its lowered. BTW he never headed up with me and he blew a U couple lights down..

So there, I know... Its not exactly the story you guys wanted to hear, But wut can I do...

Max 1
IS 300 Forfiet

Jason
00Maxima SE A/T with 2% secret sauce

[Edited by wht2kmax on 11-24-2000 at 09:19 AM]

Old 11-25-2000, 05:33 AM

perhaps

everyone doesnt want to race?
Old 11-25-2000, 08:49 AM

Still waiting..

There's a guy at my school with a blue IS. His brother tells me that his brother has beaten a 2K Max before and have no problem beating mine.

Saw him couple of times but going the other way. Can't wait to catch him at a light. A certain kill.
Old 12-01-2000, 05:25 PM

Re: Still waiting..

Originally posted by nismomax
There's a guy at my school with a blue IS. His brother tells me that his brother has beaten a 2K Max before and have no problem beating mine.

Saw him couple of times but going the other way. Can't wait to catch him at a light. A certain kill.
Shortly after the breakin period on my 2001 stock SE automatic, I spotted an IS300 on the Garden State parkway. I had driven the hell out of one at the Edmunds live event in Englishtown and thought it was a great car, but I couldn't afford it. After driving beside him for 1/2 mile, he started to cut through traffic to the exit for 287. I got in front of him and then we got to 287 where the traffic broke up. The race was on. I shot the gap and got a jump on him, but when he got through a couple of secs later, my Maxima was pulling away pretty steadily. I only had a chance to get up to 110 before we caught up to the traffic in front of us. At that point the race was over and when he got off at the next exit, he honked and gave me the thumbs up.

The IS300 may not have the power of the Max, but it handles like it is glued to the road. If anyone had a chance to drive it at the Edmunds event, you know what I mean. They had a test course set up with cones and you could just beat the crap out of the cars. It would be pretty hard to lose control of the 300, but amazingly some fool did manage to spin it around and hit the only tree in the entire lot. Can't wait til next year.
Gregg
Old 12-02-2000, 12:04 AM
wht2kmax

Re: Re: Still waiting..

Originally posted by greggmax
Originally posted by nismomax

Shortly after the breakin period on my 2001 stock SE automatic, I spotted an IS300 on the Garden State parkway. I had driven the hell out of one at the Edmunds live event in Englishtown and thought it was a great car, but I couldn't afford it. After driving beside him for 1/2 mile, he started to cut through traffic to the exit for 287. I got in front of him and then we got to 287 where the traffic broke up. The race was on. I shot the gap and got a jump on him, but when he got through a couple of secs later, my Maxima was pulling away pretty steadily. I only had a chance to get up to 110 before we caught up to the traffic in front of us. At that point the race was over and when he got off at the next exit, he honked and gave me the thumbs up.

The IS300 may not have the power of the Max, but it handles like it is glued to the road. If anyone had a chance to drive it at the Edmunds event, you know what I mean. They had a test course set up with cones and you could just beat the crap out of the cars. It would be pretty hard to lose control of the 300, but amazingly some fool did manage to spin it around and hit the only tree in the entire lot. Can't wait til next year.
Gregg
Gregg,

If you havee about 600 beans at your disposal, I suggest you give Yo its ok aka Hogan aka " Monkeyness" a call
with my tokico and eibach set up, I can do circles around a IS on the track and on the road..

Jason
00 Maxima SE A/T with 2% monkeyness

Old 12-02-2000, 05:52 AM

Jason

I was reading the post about you new tokicos with Eibach setup and asked several questions to Hogan, most of which were answered. 1)Are you saying 600 beans total for parts and labor on my Max to handle as well as or better than the IS300? 2)Will this setup look much different than stock? I plan on keeping the car for 8-10 years. 3)Will it affect the long term reliability of the suspension? 4)Do you have to worry more about potholes and clearance? 5)Does it void the mfr warranty? I do not want to modify the car engine or anything, but I would love it to handle like the 300. I live in NJ, so Hogan's shop is within range.

Thanks for your help--Gregg
Old 12-02-2000, 06:47 AM
wht2kmax

Re: Jason

1)Are you saying 600 beans total for parts and labor on my Max to handle as well as or better than the IS300?
Yes, for about 600 you can get the Tokico and Eibachs installed by Hogan. I will recommend getting the alignment done at the same time for about another 60 bucks.]
2)Will this setup look much different than stock?
Yes and no, the Eibachs drop the car about an inch in ht, thus gives a agreesive look, its definetly noticeable, but not radical.
I plan on keeping the car for 8-10 years. 3)Will it affect the long term reliability of the suspension?
Suspension is a wear and tear item just like the brakes, you wil need to change them sooner or later. You are just gonna change them early and believe me it's worth it!!
4)Do you have to worry more about potholes and clearance?
I watched potholes when I drove with my stock suspension, so there, as far as clearance, its really not that much of a differece, but I tend to go slower going over speed bumps, ramps, etc.
5)Does it void the mfr warranty? I do not want to modify the car engine or anything, but I would love it to handle like the 300. I live in NJ, so Hogan's shop is within range.
Honestly I dunno, but obviously you cant try to get warrenty work done on your suspension if you already modified it, right??

I hope this was helpful

Jason
00 Maxima SE A/T with 2% secret sauce

Old 12-02-2000, 08:11 AM

Jason

Thanks for the info. For $600, it sounds like it is pretty good bang for the buck. I'll try to work something out with Hogan when i ge some time after the holidays.
Gregg
Old 12-02-2000, 11:15 PM
wht2kmax

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Dang...when did Jason become my spokesman ?
Heh, thanx bro... :P
Gregg, anytime you're ready drop me an email, I'll work something out for ya.

-Peace
Hogan,

You do know my usual cut, right?? j/p

Jason
00 Maxima SE A/T with 2% secret sauce N 3% monkeyness~~

Old 12-02-2000, 11:55 PM
Maxx Atlanta

Good times only last for So Long...

When the 5-speed version comes, it will be hell on little wheels. Yes, the people at Lexus said the power increase and tranny options will come, like the Altezza (IS300 in Japan). Beat'em all while you can.

Old 12-26-2000, 08:57 PM

Maxima Vs. Is300

I can just kick myself for not waiting another month to look at an Is300. Saw a silver beauty for just 31K with just a sunroof option a month after the purchase of the GLE.

Old 12-27-2000, 05:01 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

Will 4th gen porterfields fit your car?

Where's my clearance light?? Before it rains.

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Custom CAI, 2.25" B-Pipe, Gutted Pre-Cat.
Auto, Manually shifting.
IS300 w/ Intake + Exhaust.
5speed auto makes it close, but if I had manual, easy victory.
Nice race, would've liked the race to continue, but his friend in an Accord was left at the line.
One sad part, realized how much Maxima brakes suck, when the fade kicked in from a sudden 80-0 stop.
IS300 looked comfy braking.
Thank god Eibach springs don't make the car look like its plowing the pavement.

-Seasons Greetings
Old 01-06-2001, 02:07 PM

I have had my 2001 AE SE for 1.5 months now. Had 2 encounters with IS300. Both times, results were the same.
Off the line, dead even, would start pulling in 2nd, by end of 3rd gear, about 1 car length ahead. All autos, mine too.
When I was shopping, looked at and test drove Acura TL, IS300, and Infinite I30t. Did not want to pay a few thousand more for the same car in the Infinite. The IS300 was interesting. Handled very well, but did not seem to have the torque of the Maxima, same of the Acura. IS300 seemed like a "kids" car to me... did not have enough interior space.