5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intakes Legal in California ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 10:40 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Intakes Legal in California ?

I was at a Napa store today, and I heard a guy talking about getting his Accord impounded last night, when the cop popped his hood and found a CAI......Is this possible. He said the cop asked him for a " STICKER " for the intake... He didnt have it.. so they impounded his car.... Can this happen to me ?
Old 04-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Intakes Legal in California ?

Originally posted by kloogy
I was at a Napa store today, and I heard a guy talking about getting his Accord impounded last night, when the cop popped his hood and found a CAI......Is this possible. He said the cop asked him for a " STICKER " for the intake... He didnt have it.. so they impounded his car.... Can this happen to me ?
Technically, yes. In the State of California, any modification you make to your vehicle that could affect emissions has to have a C.A.R.B. number to be legal. Unfortunately, there no C.A.R.B.-approved aftermarket intakes available for the 5th Gen Maxima. So what's the moral to the story?

If you're going to mod your Maxima, don't do anything to draw the wrong kind of attention.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:55 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

To late.. look at my rear .. Those 4 inch tips scream, pull me over ! I guess I should change the bulbs in my front clear markers to AMBER.. I think The Piaa's I have in there are illegal... I dont feel like getting my car towed.... When I put my Frankencar, with a RED midpipe, and a RED Monsterflow.. they might as well book me for felony modding !
Old 04-07-2002, 10:59 PM

To late.. look at my rear .. Those 4 inch tips scream, pull me over ! I guess I should change the bulbs in my front clear markers to AMBER.. I think The Piaa's I have in there are illegal... I dont feel like getting my car towed.... When I put my Frankencar, with a RED midpipe, and a RED Monsterflow.. they might as well book me for felony modding !
Reality bites!
Old 04-07-2002, 11:52 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Can I buy a sticker or a label to put on it that will sike out a COP ?
Old 04-08-2002, 07:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This is not good news....

I just put an intake on my Jeep Grand Cherokee too... It is SWEET at WOT...

Now BOTH of my cars will get impounded...
Old 04-08-2002, 08:00 AM

Can I buy a sticker or a label to put on it that will sike out a COP ?
You can try. But if the cop knows better, both you and your car might end up getting impounded!
Old 04-08-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by LeftCoast
This is not good news....

I just put an intake on my Jeep Grand Cherokee too... It is SWEET at WOT...

Now BOTH of my cars will get impounded...
Unless you do something to make the cop suspicious or p!ss him off, chances are he won't ask you to pop your hood. But if you're concerned, then simply don't attract attention. How do you do that? Well here are a few suggestions:

1) Don't street race.
2) Don't speed.
3) Don't lower your car.
4) Don't install 20" chrome rims.
5) Don't install a loud exhaust system.
6) Don't blast your stereo.
7) Don't put tint on your front door windows.
8) Don't put white bulbs in your clear side markers.

In others words, don't make yourself conspicuous.

Now you guys can argue these points with me if you want to. But keep one thing in mind. I'm not the one you need to convince!
Old 04-08-2002, 08:20 AM

As far as I know, K&N makes a CARB sticker for their products.

Whether or not this will work is anybody's guess, but at least if you have a K&N hanging off the end of the intake, you're partly right (but still may need to spread the BS).
Old 04-08-2002, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Sandman2K
As far as I know, K&N makes a CARB sticker for their products.

Whether or not this will work is anybody's guess, but at least if you have a K&N hanging off the end of the intake, you're partly right (but still may need to spread the BS).
Check again, Sandman2K. I think you're wrong about that.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:24 AM

Old fellow trick...

Originally posted by y2kse

You can try. But if the cop knows better, both you and your car might end up getting impounded!
Hey y2kse, one of the good old trick is to install hood locks, put some key lock on it and if you get pulled over just tell the cops you misplace or forgot the key, so they cant open the hood and see what's up there. The worst that can happend is they can give you a 48 hrs tickets, so then you have the obligation to go to a Police station with in 48 hrs, and they will only do a visual inspection. If you dont show up at a police station, you end up with a ticket 50$ -75$ with no point deduction.

Sometimes being older is quite an advantage...

Cheers

AA
Old 04-08-2002, 08:30 AM

Re: Old fellow trick...

Originally posted by doublea

Sometimes being older is quite an advantage...

Cheers

AA
Roger that, doublea! I wonder if anyone makes grey hair dye?
Old 04-08-2002, 08:30 AM

Check again, Sandman2K. I think you're wrong about that.
From the K&N website:

"Are K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kits – FIPK’s street legal and will I have a problem passing state vehicle inspections due to the altering of my air box?

K&N FIPK’s are legal in all 50 states. Each FIPK and Typhoon intake kit has been submitted and approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Since California has the toughest emission laws in the country, they have been accepted as legal by other states.

Each of these kits comes with a high temperature sticker with the CARB approved “EO” number.

This sticker differentiates approved devices from non-approved devices. As long as you have the approved sticker you shouldn’t have any problems with vehicle inspections."
Old 04-08-2002, 08:32 AM

From the K&N website:

"Are K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kits – FIPK’s street legal and will I have a problem passing state vehicle inspections due to the altering of my air box?

K&N FIPK’s are legal in all 50 states. Each FIPK and Typhoon intake kit has been submitted and approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Since California has the toughest emission laws in the country, they have been accepted as legal by other states.

Each of these kits comes with a high temperature sticker with the CARB approved “EO” number.

This sticker differentiates approved devices from non-approved devices. As long as you have the approved sticker you shouldn’t have any problems with vehicle inspections."
That's terrific, Sandman2K. Now for the really tough question:

Does K&N make a Fuel Injection Performance Kit (FIPK) or a Typhoon Intake Kit for the 5th Gen Maxima?
Old 04-08-2002, 08:38 AM
Very sound, Mike

Question for you guys, this only affects people in California right? (e.g. CARB).

Curious. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:39 AM

That's terrific, Sandman2K. Now for the really tough question:

Does K&N make a Fuel Injection Performance Kit (FIPK) or a Typhoon Intake Kit for the 5th Gen Maxima?
Not at the present time. But wouldn't you rather have something stating CARB certification for part of your system than nothing at all?

At least you have some ammo against a shakedown by the police, and I sincerely doubt they're gonna be able to differentiate between a K&N FIPK and other CAI's, since they're all basically a tube with a filter on the end.

And maybe we should be letting K&N know that there is a market for a Maxima FIPK, huh?
Old 04-08-2002, 08:41 AM

Re: Re: Old fellow trick...

Roger that, doublea! I wonder if anyone makes grey hair dye?
No need for me, grey hair started to grow a couple year ago, not to bad though, I guess my next personal mods will be gracian formula. He he he

Cheers

AA
Old 04-08-2002, 08:49 AM

Not at the present time. But wouldn't you rather have something stating CARB certification for part of your system than nothing at all?
Uhhh . . . NO! There is no "partial" C.A.R.B. certification. Either the ENTIRE INTAKE is C.A.R.B.-certified or none of it is C.A.R.B.-certified.

Now if you think you can lie to the police and get away with it, be my guest. But don't ask me to join you.

PS: For those who might be interested, how would you go about picking up a copy of K&N's C.A.R.B. certification?
Old 04-08-2002, 08:54 AM

Uhhh . . . NO! There is no "partial" C.A.R.B. certification. Either the ENTIRE INTAKE is C.A.R.B. certified or none of it is certified.

Now if you think you can lie to the police and get away with it, be my guest. But don't ask me to join you.
Ah. I see. So you have no problem with running Y-pipes that delete a set of cats, but putting a sticker under your hood for a product that looks and works exactly like a similar product (and uses roughly half the same components) is a sin. Makes sense.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Old fellow trick...

Originally posted by doublea

I guess my next personal mods will be gracian formula. He he he

Cheers

AA
Get in line!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:09 AM

Ah. I see. So you have no problem with running Y-pipes that delete a set of cats, but putting a sticker under your hood for a product that looks and works exactly like a similar product (and uses roughly half the same components) is a sin. Makes sense.
Unless I'm street racing or being a real a$$hole, I doubt a police officer is going to crawl under my car to look for a Y-pipe. I'm also not the least bit concerned about what you do to your car, what you're willing to tell a police officer, or whether you've committed any sins recently.

Now you keep referring to a "sticker". But you still haven't told me where I can get one. Is that because you don't have the answer?

Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:15 AM

Unless I'm street racing or being a real a$$hole, I doubt a police officer is going to crawl under my car to look for a Y-pipe, Sandman2K. I'm also not the least bit concerned about what you do to your car or what you're willing to tell a police officer, Sandman2K.

Now you keep referring to a "sticker". But you still haven't told me where I can get one. Is that because you don't have the answer?

Enjoy the ride!
Amazing. Ingenuity is a necessity for survival. If you want the sticker, just order a FIPK, ****** the sticker and send it back. Cheaper than a tank of gas.

And lemme ask you a question: when they perform the visual undercar inspection at your local emissions station, do they notice the aftermarket Y-pipe?

If not, then you're telling me they can't tell that there are cats missing, but they will surely say "that's a Berk, not a K&N".

Please.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:28 AM

Amazing. Ingenuity is a necessity for survival. If you want the sticker, just order a FIPK, ****** the sticker and send it back. Cheaper than a tank of gas.

And lemme ask you a question: when they perform the visual undercar inspection at your local emissions station, do they notice the aftermarket Y-pipe?

If not, then you're telling me they can't tell that there are cats missing, but they will surely say "that's a Berk, not a K&N".

Please.
Superb points, Sandman2K. You are, however, making an assumption. You're assuming that the K&N C.A.R.B. sticker is separate from the intake and that you can apply it yourself. Are you certain that the sticker isn't pre-applied from the factory?

And I, for one, intend to reinstall both my stock intake and my stock Y-pipe before I take my car in for a smog check. I'd also recommend that everyone running an aftermarket intake and Y-pipe do the same thing. According to my mechanic, an Inspection Station is required to report removal of smog equipment or installation of non-approved equipment to the State of California. And the fines for removing smog equipment or installing non-approved equipment can run into the thousands of dollars.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:31 AM
Very sound, Mike

Umm. Not to make this a bigger debacle than it already is. But just to clarify.

Technically. No. You pay for shipping both ways

Please.
Actually, the Berk Intake uses a K&N filter.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Umm. Not to make this a bigger debacle than it already is. But just to clarify.

Technically. No. You pay for shipping both ways

Actually, the Berk Intake uses a K&N filter.
Technically, that's true. Hence the discussion.

Yes, K&N makes the filter, BUT also makes a "Fuel Injection Performance Kit" that is essentially the same thing as many CAI's (the tubing section.)

All it comes down to is the spirit of hotrodding, when a solution doesn't exist, create your own.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:43 AM
Very sound, Mike

Yes, K&N makes the filter, BUT also makes a "Fuel Injection Performance Kit" that is essentially the same thing as many CAI's (the tubing section.)
Unfortunately, they don' thave one for the Maxima.

All it comes down to is the spirit of hotrodding, when a solution doesn't exist, create your own.
OSCAI!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:50 AM

Unfortunately, they don' thave one for the Maxima.

OSCAI!
Exactly! That's why you need to send K&N an e-mail telling them to get off their butts and make one for us.

It's incredibly expensive for small companies to go through a full CARB certification process for their products, and that's why a K&N 'fully-certified' CAI would be a very good thing for Max owners.

Tell me something, if they made one, you'd have the check in the mail already, right?

And then the issue would be resolved, and Y2KSE and I would be able to "just get along."
Old 04-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Very sound, Mike

Me? Naah. Not really. Already got an intake coming in (hopefully) this week.

Btw, dya know if CARB certification only affects people living out of California?

And yeah, you and y2kse should get along. we all should get along. after all we are part of the max family

Tell me something, if they made one, you'd have the check in the mail already, right?

And then the issue would be resolved, and Y2KSE and I would be able to "just get along."
Old 04-08-2002, 10:24 AM

Unless I'm street racing or being a real a$$hole, I doubt a police officer is going to crawl under my car to look for a Y-pipe. I'm also not the least bit concerned about what you do to your car, what you're willing to tell a police officer, or whether you've committed any sins recently.

Enjoy the ride!
I dont think the police have a clue about Y-Pipe, I asked one of my friend in the police and he goes like a Y what... is this a turbo boost or something he asked, I told hime it was some chip in the car computer, he he he, after my other friend and I laugh till we past away, I end up telling him the truth, it's a part for a Mustang GT.

Cheers

AA
Old 04-08-2002, 10:44 AM

California has the largest amount of slamed rice burners in the world! All of them have intakes and more! I don't see how this would effect your imissions in the first place, adding cold air to your engine will not cause your car to puff black smoke. THIS IS BS!! where else are there laws like this in this ****y country. Soon we'll be forced to move to Canada. DAMN COPS!
Old 04-08-2002, 10:57 AM

What about all of the thousand importshows they have in California. ALL of the cars have intakes and practically all of the spectators which go to them have mods done to there cars? If its soo illegal then why dont the cops just sit at the entrances and ask people to pop open their hoods? There has to be a loop-hole somewhere this is BS
Old 04-08-2002, 10:58 AM

Sandman2K and I don't have a dispute with one another. In fact, I think we're being remarkably well-behaved. And we won't get into a dispute provided we continue to argue the issue rather than resort to slinging epithets at each other.

Yes, I think it would be wonderful if K&N developed a C.A.R.B.-approved intake for the 5th Gen Maxima. For that matter, I think it would be wonderful if ANYONE developed a C.A.R.B.-approved intake for the 5th Gen Maxima. And I, for one, would be willing to purchase one even if it cost slightly more and offered slightly less performance than the alternatives. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a C.A.R.B.-approved intake for the 5th Gen to come to market. My guess is if Stillen won't get C.A.R.B. approval for their 5th Gen intake . . . and they won't . . . neither will anybody else.

To answer your question, soundmike, C.A.R.B. stands for California Air Resources Board. C.A.R.B. approval is required for all emissions-related equipment in the State of California and in all other states that subscribe to C.A.R.B. standards.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by ironmike355

There has to be a loop-hole somewhere this is BS
The loophole is not getting caught.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:39 AM
Very sound, Mike

Is there a site i can check to see if Texas subscribes to this standard? This was an issue during the Honda days a while back but no one really seemed to care much about it.

To answer your question, soundmike, C.A.R.B. stands for California Air Resources Board. C.A.R.B. approval is required for all emissions-related equipment in the State of California and in all other states that subscribe to C.A.R.B. standards.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:47 AM

Is there a site i can check to see if Texas subscribes to this standard? This was an issue during the Honda days a while back but no one really seemed to care much about it.

I'm not sure if this will help, but you might give these a try:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm

http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/homepgs/oprr.html
Old 04-08-2002, 12:22 PM
lcf

it is a violation of your civil rights for a police officer to search your vehicle (even under your hood) without your consent. however, cops DO have the right to search the vehicle if you are being charged with a misdemeanor for speeding, reckless driving, etc., or if you have any outstanding warrants, etc. its called probable cause.

regardless, cops many times will usually do what they want and face the music later... if youve pist the cop off or something he may just go ahead and open it up even though you have not given consent. they think theyre invincible it aggravates the #$@%@!#$ out of me and i have a folder full of tickets to prove it, hahaha.

cop: "do you have any illegal substances in the car?"

me: "no, sir."

cop: "do you mind if i search your, vehicle?"

me: "actually, yes i do mind."

me: "either write a ticket, or let me go."

cop: goes and writes up the ticket.

according to the ACLU (american civil liberties union):

IF YOU'RE STOPPED IN YOUR CAR:

Upon request, show them your driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance. In certain cases, your car can be searched without a warrant as long as the police have probable cause. To protect yourself later, you should make it clear that you do not consent to a search. It is not lawful for police to arrest you simply for refusing to consent to a search.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:15 PM

Question for you guys, this only affects people in California right? (e.g. CARB).

Curious. Thanks.
Anyone can get a ticket for modding their Max (or any car), but the CARB (California Air Resources Board) emission laws only effects those in Cali.
CARB
Old 04-08-2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by HulaMAX

Anyone can get a ticket for modding their Max (or any car), but the CARB (California Air Resources Board) emission laws only effects those in Cali.
CARB
Technically you are correct, HulaMAX. But some other states subscribe to California clean air standards. And while you won't get a ticket in, say, Florida for violating California law, you might very well get a ticket for violating Florida law.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:50 PM

I dont like the C.A.R.B. emmissions thing i live in louisiana but my car is from cali with cali emmissions Louisiana is adopting the c.a.r.b. emmisions requirements now but as for a cop to tell us to pop the hood you wont see that here but if your riding around with your neon on (well in my city ne way ) you can get a freakin $300 dollar ticket and the cop saying that i had blue neon(it was tourquoise) and said i was impersonating a officer.. luckly i knew the judge real well, and yes he drives a max... and he let me out of it
Old 04-08-2002, 08:31 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

The whole point is if a COP get a wwild hair up his A$$$ , he can do whatever he wants.... Cali. is the land of slammed rice burners. I will be making no mods to the extrior, except my ORG sticker, and exhaust. Im even thinking of not changing wheels. I have Maxspeeds on the way, but they only lower me 1 inch... Hope Ihave no troubles... I fought for years with my Stang and TA...both had NO CATS !

Quick Reply: Intakes Legal in California ?