5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 6spd vs. 2k2 6spd HLSD

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 04:33 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

2k2 6spd vs. 2k2 6spd HLSD

I just missed out on a i30 5-speed LSD tranny on ebay to some guy here, and got to thinking about limited slip....

Does HLSD do anything for the 2k2 Max? What are the 0-60 and 1/4th times of the Minima with and w/o HLSD?

Doesn't it just make launching a little easier, or is there more to it...
Old 04-09-2002, 04:42 PM

i think i am the only HLSD 6-speed that has gone to the track so far and i did very very poorly. 15.4, 15.4, and 15.3. all with horrendous 60s. pretty embarrassing. im going back in the next few weeks though. hopefully ive gained a little bit of skill since then.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=104214
Old 04-09-2002, 04:45 PM

also, there is a theory that some of us 2k2s that are getting crappy gas mileage are possibly being robbed of some power. i PMed ethan about it since he's dyno'd his 6-speed and his car seemed to have less power than it should but he hasnt responded. im getting really bad MPG so according to this theory maybe my poor track times arent all driver error.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:34 PM

Damn so it's actually robbing your car of power and gas? Damn...
Old 04-09-2002, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Newman96SE
also, there is a theory that some of us 2k2s that are getting crappy gas mileage are possibly being robbed of some power. i PMed ethan about it since he's dyno'd his 6-speed and his car seemed to have less power than it should but he hasnt responded. im getting really bad MPG so according to this theory maybe my poor track times arent all driver error.
I replied to you PM, my car's MPG is fine and I am fairly pleased with my dyno results, theres definatly nothing wrong with my car.

Craig, on a clean straight stretch of pavement a HLSD equipped maxima will have no advantage, infact it may have a slight disadvantage due to more power being robbed through the drive train(this theory has not been proven yet). If you introduce a corner or a sandy street a HLSD equiped max should fair better. When I had my LSD equipped 5spd I30 I never noticed any difference with the cars performance compared to my 95 max, if I was you I would not even bother with it.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Damn so it's actually robbing your car of power and gas? Damn...

no no no. not necessarily. is just apparent that some 2k2 owners are getting bad gas mileage (both auto and 6-speed as well as HLSD and non-HLSD). someone brought up the idea that maybe those whos car are eating gas may also be losing power. it was just a thought. but i thought thatmy track times and Ethan's dyno (which was an incorrect assumption on my part since he is not disppointed like i thought) seemed to back up that idea.

ethan, sorry to assume that. i just remember the post where some 2k2 got 230 FWHP and someone said to you "ethan, whats wrong with your car?" i never went back to check though.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by emax95

I replied to you PM, my car's MPG is fine and I am fairly pleased with my dyno results, theres definatly nothing wrong with my car.

Craig, on a clean straight stretch of pavement a HLSD equipped maxima will have no advantage, infact it may have a slight disadvantage due to more power being robbed through the drive train(this theory has not been proven yet). If you introduce a corner or a sandy street a HLSD equiped max should fair better. When I had my LSD equipped 5spd I30 I never noticed any difference with the cars performance compared to my 95 max, if I was you I would not even bother with it.
accually at the track it would make a difference last time i went to the track went into the burn out pit with my NITTO drag radials on reved it up yanked the ebrake and dropped the clutch held the rpms steady for 3-4 seconds so the nittos would get nice and hot but the good ol open differential didnt like spinngin both wheels so i did a great peg leg burn out! launching sucked bc the tire that didnt spin broke lose! ( i still got another 14.3 but the MPH went up from last time 98mph was the highest trap speed i got) so i dunno i would like to do some research on this and dirve a HLSD bc i am accually thinkin about doing a differential swap! i think HLSD should be faster through the turns but at the track its all up to the driver..... newman96se DONT DROP THE CLUTCH OFF THE LINE!!!! slip the clutch a little until u get going but at the same time easing into the gas! just some help if u need it!

will
Old 04-09-2002, 06:05 PM

Ethan,

Thanks alot bro this is VERY good news. I will just concentrate on a regular Minima 5-speed tranny.

Thanks again for clearing this up, you answered a question that Jeffrey (Jeff92se) failed to.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE

newman96se DONT DROP THE CLUTCH OFF THE LINE!!!! slip the clutch a little until u get going but at the same time easing into the gas! just some help if u need it!
i know i know!! i was launching based little bits that i remembered READING about. i had never actually done it in real life until that day. ive though about it so much since then. ill take your advice next time around
Old 04-09-2002, 06:26 PM

accually at the track it would make a difference last time i went to the track went into the burn out pit with my NITTO drag radials on reved it up yanked the ebrake and dropped the clutch held the rpms steady for 3-4 seconds so the nittos would get nice and hot but the good ol open differential didnt like spinngin both wheels so i did a great peg leg burn out! launching sucked bc the tire that didnt spin broke lose! ( i still got another 14.3 but the MPH went up from last time 98mph was the highest trap speed i got) so i dunno i would like to do some research on this and dirve a HLSD bc i am accually thinkin about doing a differential swap! i think HLSD should be faster through the turns but at the track its all up to the driver..... newman96se DONT DROP THE CLUTCH OFF THE LINE!!!! slip the clutch a little until u get going but at the same time easing into the gas! just some help if u need it!

will
I guess in that particual case a HLSD max would do better. But typicaly on a straight away with clean dry pavement both HLSD and non HLSD would fair pretty much equaly.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:59 PM

I guess in that particual case a HLSD max would do better. But typicaly on a straight away with clean dry pavement both HLSD and non HLSD would fair pretty much equaly.
i agree with u but when it comes to wheel spin HLSD is better!

will
Old 04-09-2002, 08:16 PM

i agree with u but when it comes to wheel spin HLSD is better!

will
I had a race with a CL TypeS tonight (which I won by about 2-3 cars) and had the worst wheel hop of my life. I have a 2k2 with the HLSD and launched at about 2600RPM. I usually launch around there are get a little hop right when I hit it, but only for about a split second. This time I had it all through 1st and it was so bad my windshield wipers went on!! I wonder if HLSD has anything to do with that...I know that wheel hop is mainly attributed to soft suspension components (bushings, shocks, etc..) but I wonder if HLSD has something to do with it.

You non-HLSDers have bad hop? I sent a not to Dallas to see how the radial arms are coming...hopefully soon...nothing worse than wheel hop.

Brian
Old 04-09-2002, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by TellschMax02

I had a race with a CL TypeS tonight (which I won by about 2-3 cars) and had the worst wheel hop of my life. I have a 2k2 with the HLSD and launched at about 2600RPM. I usually launch around there are get a little hop right when I hit it, but only for about a split second. This time I had it all through 1st and it was so bad my windshield wipers went on!! I wonder if HLSD has anything to do with that...I know that wheel hop is mainly attributed to soft suspension components (bushings, shocks, etc..) but I wonder if HLSD has something to do with it.

You non-HLSDers have bad hop? I sent a not to Dallas to see how the radial arms are coming...hopefully soon...nothing worse than wheel hop.

Brian

HAHA wheel hop!!! i get that **** too! its not HLSD or suspension look at the suspension i have and i get it bad just like u said the windshield wipers went on a few times..... i would love to find a fix for this! i accually had mad wheel hop at the track and my windshield wipers went on! how cool is that in front of everyone at the track!

will
Old 04-09-2002, 08:41 PM

HAHA wheel hop!!! i get that **** too! its not HLSD or suspension look at the suspension i have and i get it bad just like u said the windshield wipers went on a few times..... i would love to find a fix for this! i accually had mad wheel hop at the track and my windshield wipers went on! how cool is that in front of everyone at the track!

will
LOL

When I beat the Acura I felt pretty good...then felt like a dill as my windshield wipers were going.

When I was talking about suspension, I mainly meant bushings. Although aftermarket shocks (firm) should help...replacing the bushings is key. Our stock bushings are rubber. If you replace all of the stock bushings with something like Energy Suspension complete kit (not sure if they make a kit for the Max - http://www.energysuspension.com), it should help a lot. Also, replacing the stock motor mounts with polyurethane ones will help.

Warpspeed is working on Radial Arms...they are suppose to eliminate wheel hop completely. I have seen videos of FWD cars doing launches without any wheel hop with radial arms installed.

Hopefully these will be an option for us!!

Brian
Old 04-09-2002, 08:47 PM

nice keep us informed about any new break through to get rid of this wheel hop ESP motor mounts!
Old 04-09-2002, 08:57 PM

nice keep us informed about any new break through to get rid of this wheel hop ESP motor mounts!
Will do...you do the same if you hear anything.

Everytime I get wheel hop I cringe...that is so hard on the whole front of the car.

I am hoping WSP has good news...but only time will tell.

Later,
Brian
Old 04-09-2002, 09:17 PM

Will do...you do the same if you hear anything.

Everytime I get wheel hop I cringe...that is so hard on the whole front of the car.

I am hoping WSP has good news...but only time will tell.

Later,
Brian
I can't wait until we get radial arms! I can never push my car as hard as I would like to becuase of the damn wheel hop. Even with my rock solid suspension my car hops, it got even worse with my 18's.

Please keep me informed with WSP's reply on the arms! Last I checked energy suspension did not have any kits available for our max's. I am going to email Energy S. tonight and ask them what it would take for them to make a kit for us! I bet if I get a bunch of people together they will make us a complete kit.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:31 PM

I can't wait until we get radial arms! I can never push my car as hard as I would like to becuase of the damn wheel hop. Even with my rock solid suspension my car hops, it got even worse with my 18's.

Please keep me informed with WSP's reply on the arms! Last I checked energy suspension did not have any kits available for our max's. I am going to email Energy S. tonight and ask them what it would take for them to make a kit for us! I bet if I get a bunch of people together they will make us a complete kit.
I will post the response I get from WSP so all will be informed.

The one note on these, you need access to a press or have a performance shop do it for you. So this probably isn't a complete DIYer, but should be worth it!!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:52 PM

I just emailed this to energy suspension.

Hello, I was wondering if your company would be willing to make a "HYPER-FLEX SYSTEM" for the 5th gen Nissan maxima(2000-2002). I am a member of www.maxima.org (over 10,000 members) and I believe I could get together a list of people willing to buy this package. Please let me know what I need to do to make this happen? If you need a certain amount of people willing to buy let me know, I can try to gather a list.

If your willing to consider making a kit for us please let me know how many people I need to get together to make this happen and also a approx. price and also a approx. time frame for when a kit would be made available.

Thank you for your time,
Ethan (2002 6spd maxima)
If I get a good repsonse maybe we can all make this happen!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:56 PM

I just emailed this to energy suspension.

If I get a good repsonse maybe we can all make this happen!
eggcellent...
Old 04-09-2002, 10:55 PM

man..more progress....mMm...more mods....and oh man that wheel hop...scared the Sh*t out of me the first time..it was the first time ive ever heard something like that....i thought i broke something when it went "bam bam bam" but i realized what it was. Id be down to throw $ for a bushing kit...i've heard good things. But...ive worked on a civic in our best buy install shop with "polyurethane" mounts...is that the same thing were getting into?..It seems the only side-effect is the increased vibration in the steering wheel...
Old 04-09-2002, 11:02 PM

When I beat the Acura I felt pretty good...then felt like a dill as my windshield wipers were going.
think about how i felt running my brand new 4-door 2k2 maxima at a drag strip next to a low 12s corvette and my windshield wipers going on as im heading down the track after a 1.5 second recation time while a bunch of 10 second mustangs and cameros watch. talk about feeling out of place damn wheel hop.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Newman96SE

think about how i felt running my brand new 4-door 2k2 maxima at a drag strip next to a low 12s corvette and my windshield wipers going on as im heading down the track after a 1.5 second recation time while a bunch of 10 second mustangs and cameros watch. talk about feeling out of place damn wheel hop.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:18 PM

ouch..but but...its not our fault...we have 2 extra doors...thats what i say...
Old 04-10-2002, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
man..more progress....mMm...more mods....and oh man that wheel hop...scared the Sh*t out of me the first time..it was the first time ive ever heard something like that....i thought i broke something when it went "bam bam bam" but i realized what it was. Id be down to throw $ for a bushing kit...i've heard good things. But...ive worked on a civic in our best buy install shop with "polyurethane" mounts...is that the same thing were getting into?..It seems the only side-effect is the increased vibration in the steering wheel...
I would guess that the vibration in the steering wheel was from a polyurethane motor mount rather than the polyurethane bushings. I don’t know for sure, but I would not think the bushings would add any vibration (not connected to the engine). I think I remember hearing a while back that sometimes they squeak, but I don’t know for sure.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:52 PM

Anyone find a way to tell if you have HLSD or not?
Old 04-12-2002, 06:28 AM

Update from WSP

Here was Dallas's response ojn the radial arms:

"My only concern on the radial arms for the 02 Maxima is that if it is like the 02 Altima the mounting location is cast aluminum. I did notice holes in the Altima for mounting but have not seen the 02 Maxima up close.
We have not yet figured a price but time frame will be just a couple of weeks if all goes well. They will be equipped with quick disconnects for easy removal."

Hopefully we will see something in the next month or so. The nice thing is that these will be bolt on and not weld on.

Brian
Old 04-12-2002, 08:36 AM

Re: Update from WSP

Here was Dallas's response ojn the radial arms:

"My only concern on the radial arms for the 02 Maxima is that if it is like the 02 Altima the mounting location is cast aluminum. I did notice holes in the Altima for mounting but have not seen the 02 Maxima up close.
We have not yet figured a price but time frame will be just a couple of weeks if all goes well. They will be equipped with quick disconnects for easy removal."

Hopefully we will see something in the next month or so. The nice thing is that these will be bolt on and not weld on.

Brian
Cool, thanks for the update.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:31 AM

will

Punctuation actually makes things easier to read you know.