5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Farwell Guys!! It's Been Fun!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 10:14 AM

Farwell Guys!! It's Been Fun!!

Hey guys I'll soon be leaving the board. I just ordered my 2002 BMW 330i last week and it's scheduled for 4/26/02 production which should put it here near the end of May. I got it in metallic Titanium Silver with 5-speed manual transmission, black leatherette interior with titanium finished trim, sport pkg, moonroof, and bixenon headlights. I've listed my maxima in the paper for $19,500 with all the mods, however I would really like to sell it to a fellow enthusiast. $$ is $$ so whenever I get a buyer it'll be gone. Any interested takers or offers? My BMW dealer has agreed to do an "in and out" meaning that when I find a buyer they'll buy the car from me and then sell it to my buyer for the agreed upon price. This way I can count it as a trade in and save about $1000 in taxes. Yall have been great and I've enjoyed meeting some of you and talking with all of yall. Good luck and continue to have fun with your maximas. I can honestly say that I'll miss my max but I'll be even more happy when my new ride arrives !! Later

Diederik
Old 04-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stop by when you get the BMW and tell us how it compares.

Mark
Old 04-11-2002, 10:31 AM
JET Speed Lab

Old 04-11-2002, 10:41 AM

Re: Farwell Guys!! It's Been Fun!!

Can i buy your VB upgrade, Joking!!!
Have fun with the BEAMER!
Roger
Old 04-11-2002, 10:48 AM

Now I have to aspire to Kev for Boosted 2K Automagic-ism.
We'll miss ya around here.

DTMpower.net

-Peace

Old 04-11-2002, 11:06 AM

byebye Dman
Old 04-11-2002, 11:13 AM

In out ='s interesting

I have never heard of that, so they have to pay the tax? how does that work? are most dealers willing to do that? or do they make it up on the price of your new deal? Any info would be mucho appreciated.

Good luck with your BMW, I have a jealous hate for you.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:23 AM

Bimmer/Beemer/Beamer

Originally posted by radpp16
Can i buy your VB upgrade, Joking!!!
Have fun with the BEAMER!
Roger
Quick Bimmer, Beemer, Beamer vocab lesson...

Beamer -- <hardware, jargon> A video projector that can be connected to a computer instead of, or as well as, a monitor, and used for making presentations.

Beemer -- BMW motorcycle

Bimmer -- BMW automobile

I know the word "bimmer" sounds very 90210, but it's the correct word to use when referring to a BMW auto.

Scott Buchanan -- former Bimmer guy
2K SE (manual)
Old 04-11-2002, 11:45 AM

DEFINITLY . . .

Originally posted by Maximam
Stop by when you get the BMW and tell us how it compares.

Mark
I'll probably pop in every once in a while to read some posts. I recently test drove the 330i with the auto tranny and triptonic shifter and let me tell you those things are quick off the line!! Tons of useable low end and mid range torque. I think the 5-speed manual would definitly give my max a run for its money from a dead stop and it would definitly take it from 60 mph and up. Adbody's 5-speed manual AE max took me from 70 mph due to the crappy gear ratio in the 4 speed autos even with the SCer.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:53 AM

Re: DEFINITLY . . .

Originally posted by DMan_2KMax

I'll probably pop in every once in a while to read some posts. I recently test drove the 330i with the auto tranny and triptonic shifter and let me tell you those things are quick off the line!! Tons of useable low end and mid range torque. I think the 5-speed manual would definitly give my max a run for its money from a dead stop and it would definitly take it from 60 mph and up. Adbody's 5-speed manual AE max took me from 70 mph due to the crappy gear ratio in the 4 speed autos even with the SCer.
Did I understand you right?? The 330i would take your SCed Max from 60mph???

I think the 5-speed manual would definitly give my max a run for its money from a dead stop and it would definitly take it from 60 mph and up.

?????
Old 04-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: In out ='s interesting

It's a basic "I trade in my car and save on taxes" deal. Only difference is in this case the dealership, dman and whoever buys his maxima work together. (as opposed to trading in your car, and the dealer waits for a buyer on the lot)

He saves on taxes because it's a trade-in, the amount taxed is the balance of the new car (e.g. trade in value is 20k, BMW value is 25k. Taxable is 5k)

Originally posted by Blackgums100
I have never heard of that, so they have to pay the tax? how does that work? are most dealers willing to do that? or do they make it up on the price of your new deal? Any info would be mucho appreciated.

Old 04-11-2002, 12:12 PM

Re: In out ='s interesting

Originally posted by Blackgums100

Here's how it works: Say I find a buyer for my car and he/she wants to buy the car for $19,500 then we go to my BMW dealership and the dealership will buy the car from me for $19,300 (price minus $200 processing and paper work fee) and sell it to my buyer for $19,500. They will count this $19,300 as my trade-in which is then subtracted from the $37,000 price of my car and comes to a figure of $17,700. Tax will then be assessed on that figure as follows: 17,700 X 6.25% = $1106.25 in taxes. Now if I sold the car myself outright then I would not have a "trade-in" and would then be paying tax on the negotiated price of the car which would come to:
$37,000 X 6.25% = $2312.50!! So by doing an "in and out" and paying a nominal $200 fee I will end up saving $1206.25 in taxes. I believe and I could be wrong but usually only the high end car dealerships are willing to do this type of deal. Hope that made sense.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:20 PM

Re: Re: DEFINITLY . . .

Did I understand you right?? The 330i would take your SCed Max from 60mph???

I think the 5-speed manual would definitly give my max a run for its money from a dead stop and it would definitly take it from 60 mph and up.

?????
I believe I said, "the 5-speed manual would definitly give my max a run for its money from a dead stop . ." I've never raced one so I can't say for sure but the 330i 5-speed would definitely be right there with me. Adboy's 5-speed AE max hung with me pretty good from a dead stop race and I know the 5-speed 330is are quicker than the 5-speed maximas according to all the magazines.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:34 PM

"I think the 5-speed manual would definitly give my max a run for its money from a dead stop and it would definitly take it from 60 mph and up."

That is your quote and is what confused me. I would think a SC auto Max would beat a 330i from a roll, is a SC Max auto not all that fast??

Mark
Old 04-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: In out ='s interesting

Here's how it works: Say I find a buyer for my car and he/she wants to buy the car for $19,500 then we go to my BMW dealership and the dealership will buy the car from me for $19,300 (price minus $200 processing and paper work fee) and sell it to my buyer for $19,500. They will count this $19,300 as my trade-in which is then subtracted from the $37,000 price of my car and comes to a figure of $17,700. Tax will then be assessed on that figure as follows: 17,700 X 6.25% = $1106.25 in taxes. Now if I sold the car myself outright then I would not have a "trade-in" and would then be paying tax on the negotiated price of the car which would come to:
$37,000 X 6.25% = $2312.50!! So by doing an "in and out" and paying a nominal $200 fee I will end up saving $1206.25 in taxes. I believe and I could be wrong but usually only the high end car dealerships are willing to do this type of deal. Hope that made sense.
Actually, you would be saving $1006.25. You should subtract the $200 fee.

The only problem with that scenario is that the guy/girl buying your Maxima will now pay $1218.75 in taxes to the BMW dealer. The reason why MOST people buy private party is to avoid sales tax. I doubt you would find many takers unless your car is worth more than $20718.75($19.5K + $1218.75 in taxes).

Don't fall for dealer "tricks", try and sell it private party. I'd rather buy a new 2K2, since some are getting them for under $25K OTD.

Good luck though. I'm jealous!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:10 PM

"I think the 5-speed manual would definitly give my max a run for its money from a dead stop and it would definitly take it from 60 mph and up."

That is your quote and is what confused me. I would think a SC auto Max would beat a 330i from a roll, is a SC Max auto not all that fast??

Mark
From 60 mph till the car shifts at 75-80 mph from 2nd to 3rd is very quick, however from 75-80 mph up to 120 mph it takes a while to build optimal boost due to the wide gear ratio. This is where Adboy and certainly a 5-speed manual 330i would have the advantage and take me down. From a dead stop my car is a blast and fast but from 70 mph to about 90 mph it is a little disappointing. (Crappy 4 speed auto) Don't get me wrong my car owns most cars from stop light to stop light but is no king of the hill above 70 mph unless it is cold outside.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:06 PM

Lest we forget, this was when Adboy was stock.

Adboy now has Y-pipe and UDP. I think Adboy would now put the beat-down on the SC’ed Auto max.

It sure was fun, Diederik. I hope to run into you and your new 330 some day.

I, too, am jealous of your new sweet, sweet ride.

Good luck, man.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:20 PM

From 60 mph till the car shifts at 75-80 mph from 2nd to 3rd is very quick, however from 75-80 mph up to 120 mph it takes a while to build optimal boost due to the wide gear ratio. This is where Adboy and certainly a 5-speed manual 330i would have the advantage and take me down. From a dead stop my car is a blast and fast but from 70 mph to about 90 mph it is a little disappointing. (Crappy 4 speed auto) Don't get me wrong my car owns most cars from stop light to stop light but is no king of the hill above 70 mph unless it is cold outside.
Oh OK got ya now!

I think I hear a SC for your 3 series coming about 5k miles into it.

Mark
Old 04-11-2002, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Adboy
Lest we forget, this was when Adboy was stock.

Adboy now has Y-pipe and UDP. I think Adboy would now put the beat-down on the SC’ed Auto max.

It sure was fun, Diederik. I hope to run into you and your new 330 some day.

I, too, am jealous of your new sweet, sweet ride.

Good luck, man.

Let me get this straight you took Diederick w/SC & mods completely stock! Somehow I am finding that very unbelievable or something was wrong with this a/f mixture.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:56 PM

Bimmer?

Why not just buy the new Altima 3.5 SE and save about 15k for your kid's tuition?

The fastest numbers I've seen for a 330ci stick are 5.9 0-60. And I've actually seen reports of new stripper Altimas turning the same times. Not to mention the fact that you get the new IRS instead of the dated Max beam-axle, allowing you to hang with the 330 in the twisties.

And you'll always know that there's an M3 around the bend ready to show you what the word "Bimmer" really means. (And yeah, I know about the G35 and 350Z, but their secret's already out. Nowhere near the Q-Ship value the Altima has.)
Old 04-11-2002, 02:58 PM

Yeah Right !!

Oh OK got ya now!

I think I hear a SC for your 3 series coming about 5k miles into it.

Mark
If I do that my wife will cut my ***** off!! YIKES I gave her enough grief with the whole SCer thing and I don't have the heart to do it again to her. I will however be getting the AutoAuthority ECU chip upgrade for the 330i and be putting a CAI once they finish development for the E46 3 series, but that's about it for me.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:03 PM

Are you on CRACK??

Originally posted by Sandman2K
Not to mention the fact that you get the new IRS instead of the dated Max beam-axle, allowing you to hang with the 330 in the twisties.
I don't even think so!! Have you even driven a 3 series with the sport package? There is no way in Hell a maxima will handle like that no matter what mods you dumb into it!! Now I love maximas just as much as yall but lets be a realist. With an ECU chip upgrade and a CAI the only thing you'll see on my 330i will be the tail lights.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:04 PM

Re: Bimmer?

allowing you to hang with the 330 in the twisties.

No way!!! Everyone knows BMW makes one of the best sorted and designed chassis period. Not to mention, when was the last time you saw a FWD roadcourse real racecar.

Mark
Old 04-11-2002, 03:07 PM

Re: Are you on CRACK??

I don't even think so!! Have you even driven a 3 series with the sport package? There is no way in Hell a maxima will handle like that no matter what mods you dumb into it!! Now I love maximas just as much as yall but lets be a realist. With an ECU chip upgrade and a CAI the only thing you'll see on my 330i will be the tail lights.
That's why I was referring to the Altima.

Even with 240 horses, they walk away from the 255hp 6-speed Maxs. And I have no doubt the Altima can hang with you, all the way to the track to bet those 15 large on the ponies.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:15 PM

Re: Re: Are you on CRACK??

That's why I was referring to the Altima.

Even with 240 horses, they walk away from the 255hp 6-speed Maxs. And I have no doubt the Altima can hang with you, all the way to the track to bet those 15 large on the ponies.
This statement is going to start alot of $h!t. This thread is going to be BIG!!

LMFAO!!!
Old 04-11-2002, 03:18 PM

they could probably hang with the 330 but on the twisties the altima will get raped....its a FWD car just like our maximas
Old 04-11-2002, 03:20 PM

altima WALKS away from the 6 speeds?
Old 04-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: Are you on CRACK??

This statement is going to start alot of $h!t. This thread is going to be BIG!!

LMFAO!!!
Doubt it.

Coming from a newbie that can't even figure out how to enter his Profile info.

No need to waste time(read server bandwidth) on posers.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
they could probably hang with the 330 but on the twisties the altima will get raped....its a FWD car just like our maximas
Hey, hey. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my '00 SE 5-Sp. But I may have to swap it for an Altima because it just handles better. Try driving a Mustang GT with the live rear-axle and jump in a Cobra with the IRS and see what you think (I know it's a repulsive idea for the Max crew, but it's true.)

No b*ll****, here's a report on the Altima:

"Similarly, the suspension setup results in confidence-inspiring handling, allowing the front-wheel-drive Altima to beat a recently tested Mustang GT and nearly equal the vaunted BMW M3 in the slalom run. With a front strut and multilink independent rear suspension that incorporates aluminum components to save weight, we found body dive, squat and roll well controlled, with a nice blend of sporty stiffness and comfy compliance on tap during most driving situations."

Ever hear that about our beloved Max?
Old 04-11-2002, 03:36 PM

5 speed altima walking away from a 6 speed max? dont think so..... when it comes down to it, it is all the driver not the car..... they r too close in power and weight to compare (altima weighs 10lbs more) but the 6 speed is said to hold more back in the drive terrain..... altima will never walk away from a max buddy!

will
Old 04-11-2002, 03:39 PM

Hey, hey. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my '00 SE 5-Sp. But I may have to swap it for an Altima because it just handles better. Try driving a Mustang GT with the live rear-axle and jump in a Cobra with the IRS and see what you think (I know it's a repulsive idea for the Max crew, but it's true.)

No b*ll****, here's a report on the Altima:

"Similarly, the suspension setup results in confidence-inspiring handling, allowing the front-wheel-drive Altima to beat a recently tested Mustang GT and nearly equal the vaunted BMW M3 in the slalom run. With a front strut and multilink independent rear suspension that incorporates aluminum components to save weight, we found body dive, squat and roll well controlled, with a nice blend of sporty stiffness and comfy compliance on tap during most driving situations."

Ever hear that about our beloved Max?
Dont always listen to reports.. i hope you didnt listen to motor trends car of the year, Chrysler Pronto Cruiser.. by the way, you need to get realistic here, go drive a the 330I with sport package and go test drive a Altima SE and come back and tell me teh Altima handles better...
Old 04-11-2002, 03:59 PM

Re: Yeah Right !!

If I do that my wife will cut my ***** off!! YIKES I gave her enough grief with the whole SCer thing and I don't have the heart to do it again to her. I will however be getting the AutoAuthority ECU chip upgrade for the 330i and be putting a CAI once they finish development for the E46 3 series, but that's about it for me.
Chips dont really do much on the 330i. Basically it just raises te rev limiter and removes the govenor.

BTW.....CAI is ot for the 330i. Conforti has one out and so does Dinan.

Try....www.turnermotorsports.com
Old 04-11-2002, 04:08 PM

...so lemme see if I have this straight. The Altima is basically the same car as the Max, but on this forum it's the enemy. Got it.

And I truly enjoy being a "newbie" on this board. Somehow there's a correlation between not having 4,500 posts on this forum and not knowing anything about quick/fast cars or the street scene for the past few decades. Makes sense.

And while BMW makes fine automobiles, to be so slavishly in awe of their cars is to get walked by a sleeper when you least expect it.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:25 PM

...so lemme see if I have this straight. The Altima is basically the same car as the Max, but on this forum it's the enemy. Got it.

And I truly enjoy being a "newbie" on this board. Somehow there's a correlation between not having 4,500 posts on this forum and not knowing anything about quick/fast cars or the street scene for the past few decades. Makes sense.

And while BMW makes fine automobiles, to be so slavishly in awe of their cars is to get walked by a sleeper when you least expect it.
No no, its not an enemy to us Maximas, the altima just doesnt WALK the maxima, and the maxima doesnt WALK the altima.. they are basically dead even, up to drive skill.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:51 PM

Nothing to do with being a newbie, your opinions are just far fetched.
Don't be discouraged, this is just a very accurate board. Actually this and LS1.com are my favorites because there is a lack of bull$h!t.

Mark
Old 04-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good luck with the Bimmer, Diederik. Come back and say hi when you get a chance.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:23 PM

Nothing to do with being a newbie, your opinions are just far fetched.
Don't be discouraged, this is just a very accurate board. Actually this and LS1.com are my favorites because there is a lack of bull$h!t.

I'd say it's fairly accurate. Unfortunately, whenever there's an allegiance to a particular brand, there's a few knuckleheads that will fly the corporate flag regardless of common sense.

The pure street-racing boards seem to have it nailed, though. It's not the make, but the well-balanced mods performed on the car. I've seen Ford Focus SVT's with N20 that would dust a new 330ci, and trounce it in the slalom with barely any suspension mods.

And while the Altima and Max are very similar in straight-line performance, toss a 75-degree turn into that race and the Max will have a tough time keeping up.

Sure, a BMW is a well put-together automobile, but in a side-by-side comparison, show me how it is vastly superior to an Altima (or Max for that matter)? If you like the marque, that's one thing, but if you were piloting a 330ci and saw a 2002 Max in the rearview, do you think you'd be laughing it off?
Old 04-11-2002, 05:30 PM

I'd say it's fairly accurate. Unfortunately, whenever there's an allegiance to a particular brand, there's a few knuckleheads that will fly the corporate flag regardless of common sense.

The pure street-racing boards seem to have it nailed, though. It's not the make, but the well-balanced mods performed on the car. I've seen Ford Focus SVT's with N20 that would dust a new 330ci, and trounce it in the slalom with barely any suspension mods.

And while the Altima and Max are very similar in straight-line performance, toss a 75-degree turn into that race and the Max will have a tough time keeping up.

Sure, a BMW is a well put-together automobile, but in a side-by-side comparison, show me how it is vastly superior to an Altima (or Max for that matter)? If you like the marque, that's one thing, but if you were piloting a 330ci and saw a 2002 Max in the rearview, do you think you'd be laughing it off?
This is a dumb arguement. Drive a 330i then drive Altima and come back and report here. The altima has a cheaply built interior.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

This is a dumb arguement. Drive a 330i then drive Altima and come back and report here. The altima has a cheaply built interior.
Cheaply-built interior. There's a solid argument.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:35 PM

Cheaply-built interior. There's a solid argument.
Thats just an exampe of "You get what you pay for" A 330i stock will outhandle and out brake a Altima 3.5 SE or Maxima. You need to drve them both before you make stupid comments.

Quick Reply: Farwell Guys!! It's Been Fun!!