5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Resolved 2k2 Turning Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 03:33 AM
john2002max

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I think what you did is going to cause you some problems down the road. The engineeres at Nissan limited the rack travel for a reason. Not only are you putting excessive strain on your CV joints but I imagain your also over running the design capabilities of your steering rack as well. I wouldn't be suprised if the seals and such on your rack and pinnion start leaking prematurely. Your adding travel that was not designed to be there. In other words, your over running it!
I fully agree, The enineers are alot smarter than us, and I think that there must have been a real good reason for this lousy turning radius. I hope this mod works out, it sounds great and I'd love to do it also but I believe it could cause damage down the road. I'll wait and see if Nissan recalls the cars and ok's the changes for the adjustment.

Old 05-23-2002, 03:54 PM

I just had my SE into the dealer for an oil change. My service advisor is a performance guy so we've developed a good relationship and I trust what he has to say. He seems to know his stuff and he sees a lot of Nissans go through the service dept. Anyway, while I was there I asked him about that stop for the steering. I was the first one to bring it up to him and he really wasn't sure but he would talk to the service people. When he came back he had a parts list in his hands and showed me the steering rack on the GXE is a different one than on the SE and GLE. That's the reason the GXEs don't have the stop. Everyone's conclusion was that the stops were there for a good reason and I shouldn't mess with it. Hope this clears up why one model doesn't have the stops but the other two do.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:48 AM

Well, I just couldn't take it anymore. After feeling the need to call for a tugboat assist every time I parked my Max, I removed the steering stops today. I checked for any odd sounds, noises, vibrations, etc in the steering and so far all seems okay. I'm hoping this turns out to be a good thing overall, and if I have to replace CV boots slightly more often I can deal with that.
Originally posted by ohmitr
I just had my SE into the dealer for an oil change. My service advisor is a performance guy so we've developed a good relationship and I trust what he has to say. He seems to know his stuff and he sees a lot of Nissans go through the service dept. Anyway, while I was there I asked him about that stop for the steering. I was the first one to bring it up to him and he really wasn't sure but he would talk to the service people. When he came back he had a parts list in his hands and showed me the steering rack on the GXE is a different one than on the SE and GLE. That's the reason the GXEs don't have the stop. Everyone's conclusion was that the stops were there for a good reason and I shouldn't mess with it. Hope this clears up why one model doesn't have the stops but the other two do.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Can you phone the dealer, or Nissan and ask whether the Mod you did is ok? Would that alter the warranty?
Wait, Nissan or any car company, especially a dealer telling you it's ok to do a mod? And risk getting sued when something goes wrong? Don't bet on them telling you it's ok. I have no problems doing u turns, but I can't park anymore since upgrading to my Max from a cavalier, but then the Max is also a bigger car. But yea, the turning radius is definitely smaller, I think I had no problems driving a Lincoln Town Car, and that car's bigger. Or just compensate the bad turning radius by not cutting the turn or turn wide... like driving a truck or bus... like I have, and I compensate.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by 2k2Merlot
Well, I just couldn't take it anymore. After feeling the need to call for a tugboat assist every time I parked my Max, I removed the steering stops today. I checked for any odd sounds, noises, vibrations, etc in the steering and so far all seems okay. I'm hoping this turns out to be a good thing overall, and if I have to replace CV boots slightly more often I can deal with that.
Do you have to put the car on a lift to get to the steering stops, or is there enough clearance by jacking each wheel seperately ? What size wrench did you use to unbolt those steering stops ?
Old 06-19-2002, 01:07 AM

madmax...the car doesn't have to be jacked up at all. You can access the bolts just by turning the wheels fully to the left then to the right. I believe the bolts are 18mm. I hope this helps.
Originally posted by madmax2k1

Do you have to put the car on a lift to get to the steering stops, or is there enough clearance by jacking each wheel seperately ? What size wrench did you use to unbolt those steering stops ?
Old 06-19-2002, 05:28 AM

no one has said anything about variable assist steering. Do the GXEs come with speed sesative/variable assist steering?

If they don't then that'll be a big determining factor in why there's a difference in steering rack. Check the specs?