5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Resolved 2k2 Turning Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 03:37 AM

Resolved 2k2 Turning Problem!

Ok, so when I first got my new max I loved EVERYTHING about it.
Then I tried to make a U-turn in downtown LA...

I was ****ED off, I had to back up in a crowded intersection with other cars honking at me. My old 2k GLE had a MUCH smaller turning radius. So I endeavored to find a solution.

Went home, jacked up my car, got a flashlight and got under. I remember someone posting about some sort of plastic stop behind the wheel on the 2k2's and removing it, but when I looked under the car, I didn't see a big green plastic stop like I remembered in the pictures.. All I saw was a large bolt on the back of the rotor (?) with a white plastic hat that would contact a plate on the control arm when the wheel was turned all the way. Well got the monkey wrench out, cause I didn't have a crecent of the proper size 17? 18mm? And two twists of the wrench and both sides were out.

I'm happy to report that I can properly make a U-turn and park now.

So far no adverse affects, I will jack the car back up in a week and look for score marks or wear, but I think everything should be fine. Recommend you all try this as well if you don't like making 3 point turns in intersections
Old 04-13-2002, 03:51 AM

Re: Resolved 2k2 Turning Problem!

Hey,
This is a terrible mod for two reasons..1)it didn't cost a lot to do and 2)It didnt take hours to accomplish.... LOL ..

Great job, keep us posted if you feel or see anything adverse.

RalphW

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

I was ****ED off, I had to back up in a crowded intersection with other cars honking at me. My old 2k GLE had a MUCH smaller turning radius. So I endeavored to find a solution.

Went home, jacked up my car, got a flashlight and got under. I remember someone posting about some sort of plastic stop behind the wheel on the 2k2's and removing it, but when I looked under the car, I didn't see a big green plastic stop like I remembered in the pictures.. All I saw was a large bolt on the back of the rotor (?) with a white plastic hat that would contact a plate on the control arm when the wheel was turned all the way. Well got the monkey wrench out, cause I didn't have a crecent of the proper size 17? 18mm? And two twists of the wrench and both sides were out.

So far no adverse affects, I will jack the car back up in a week and look for score marks or wear, but I think everything should be fine. Recommend you all try this as well if you don't like making 3 point turns in intersections
Old 04-13-2002, 03:53 AM

Re: Re: Resolved 2k2 Turning Problem!

Originally posted by RalphW
Hey,
This is a terrible mod for two reasons..1)it didn't cost a lot to do and 2)It didnt take hours to accomplish.... LOL ..

Great job, keep us posted if you feel or see anything adverse.

RalphW

LOL you're absolutely right
down with free mods!

No problems so far, no clunking, grinding, whirring, squeaking, vibration or anything else. Will keep you posted.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Resolved 2k2 Turning Problem!

LOL you're absolutely right
down with free mods!

No problems so far, no clunking, grinding, whirring, squeaking, vibration or anything else. Will keep you posted.
Will do it today....I HATE the current turning radius!

Thanks -- SS
Old 04-13-2002, 08:22 AM
lcf

hey Chinkzilla,

is the new turning radius better or about the same as your 2k?
Old 04-13-2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by lcf
hey Chinkzilla,

is the new turning radius better or about the same as your 2k?
Don't know (1st Max) but I just did it and MAN what a diff. The only downside MAY be accellerated wear on the outter cv boots over the loooong run (over 90k?) other than that it stays as is on my car!
Thanks Chinkzilla -- SS
Old 04-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Kal

Re: Resolved 2k2 Turning Problem!

God tell me bout it. I thought only the I30's only had this problem. Its embarresing when u pull up to the bank or anywhere else, like i did yesterday, and they watch you out the window having to back up and park again. . Please do keep us updated, and i'll try to go under and take pics soon.

Old 04-13-2002, 03:56 PM
lcf

Re: Re: Resolved 2k2 Turning Problem!

Originally posted by kalbundy
God tell me bout it. I thought only the I30's only had this problem. Its embarresing when u pull up to the bank or anywhere else, like i did yesterday, and they watch you out the window having to back up and park again. . Please do keep us updated, and i'll try to go under and take pics soon.

it definitely is embarrassing more than anything else. people must think i cant drive or something. usually i can work with it though... wideeeeeeee turns.

Old 04-13-2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by ssiperko

Don't know (1st Max) but I just did it and MAN what a diff. The only downside MAY be accellerated wear on the outter cv boots over the loooong run (over 90k?) other than that it stays as is on my car!
Thanks Chinkzilla -- SS
That was my concern, but how many times do you have your steering wheel turned full over right or left in a day? I did it mostly to avoid embarassment and dangerous situations, like getting stuck halfway through a u-turn then getting nailed by someone not paying attention. Oh well, at 90k I should probably be replacing my cv boots anyway. I will keep an eye out and let you all know.

LCF- The turning radius is WAY better, I turned in the smallest circle I could and I felt like I was turning in place. I had my window rolled down listening for any noises. I dunno if it's any better than on my 2k, but it's at LEAST as good. Probably about the same.
Old 04-14-2002, 01:32 AM

good stuff D

btw, i got a question for u. Does the new steering wheel feel stiffer? cuz when i drove my bro's 2k i can make a u turn with 1 finger, with mine i need 2 hands. Both cars are with eibachs and 18s.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by CharlieNewbieMax
good stuff D

btw, i got a question for u. Does the new steering wheel feel stiffer? cuz when i drove my bro's 2k i can make a u turn with 1 finger, with mine i need 2 hands. Both cars are with eibachs and 18s.
Dunno, when I test drove your car, I could almost swear it was looser, but that was when it was stock. Maybe the lower stance and 18's made a difference. So far, I can't really tell a big difference in steering between my old 2k gle and the new 2k2 se, might be stiffer for all I know, need to drive both cars back to back to know for sure.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I think what you did is going to cause you some problems down the road. The engineeres at Nissan limited the rack travel for a reason. Not only are you putting excessive strain on your CV joints but I imagain your also over running the design capabilities of your steering rack as well. I wouldn't be suprised if the seals and such on your rack and pinnion start leaking prematurely. Your adding travel that was not designed to be there. In other words, your over running it!
Old 04-15-2002, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I think what you did is going to cause you some problems down the road. The engineeres at Nissan limited the rack travel for a reason. Not only are you putting excessive strain on your CV joints but I imagain your also over running the design capabilities of your steering rack as well. I wouldn't be suprised if the seals and such on your rack and pinnion start leaking prematurely. Your adding travel that was not designed to be there. In other words, your over running it!
Sure looks like the EXACT same steering/suspension set up as on my 2k, and that didn't have the stops. I already said I would be monitoring it for excess wear and tear, and was well aware of these possibilities when the modification was made. I am experimenting with something new, it might be good, it might be bad, but either way give it a chance before you start the pessimism.

It's more than likely, that nissan reduced the steering travel to prevent percieved rubbing on the inside of the tire with 17"s now standard on all SE and GLE maximas. This might be to prevent a premature tire blowout. They might be especially cautious after the whole firestone/ford fiasco.

I was under the car for quite a while the other day while my friend turned the steering wheel all the way both ways. I couldn't find anything that might be a problem so I can only conclude that this one is a risk worth taking. All mods have their inherent risks, you just have to decide whether the benefits outweigh those risks.

Besides.. don't you drive a 4th gen?
Old 04-15-2002, 08:53 AM

Can you phone the dealer, or Nissan and ask whether the Mod you did is ok? Would that alter the warranty?
Old 04-15-2002, 11:19 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

All mods have their inherent risks, you just have to decide whether the benefits outweigh those risks.

Besides.. don't you drive a 4th gen?
I understand your aware of the risks. My response in this thread was to make sure others are aware of the possibility of damage to the steering rack and other suspension components. CV joints, axels and steering racks are expensive. I only pointed out that this might cause you some problems down the road. I've seen a few guys on here complain of their racks leaking. Why put it through any more stress then needed? So you can make a U turn tighter? Ok thats fine if you really need a tighter turning radious, but I dont think it's really needed for the normal day to day driver.

And yes I drive a 4th gen (1999) which has the steering stop bolts on it as well. Your point with that statement might be???
Old 04-15-2002, 11:57 AM

we had this discussion about the steering stop bumps a long time ago, Russ did it to his 2k1.

All i know is I didn't do it cuz i remmember that it wasn't worth it at the end and its better off with those stop things. but the turninig radius is freaking me out sometimes, so i might just take those stop bumps and forget about it.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:23 PM

njmaxseltd......i completely agree

My 5'th gen does have the steering stops just for starts.

Right away you will not notice anything. Nissan power steering pumps are very quiet, even with air in the system. The CV joints are being stressed out by "overturning the car. I'm actually more worried about the rack than anything (nice rack!). The nissan engineers, although sometimes i wonder, didn't just put them there for nothing.

but anyway, if its worth not being embarrased at the bank, than go for it.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:56 AM

Actually, the 2k2 turning radius is pretty unbearable. Parallel parking, U-turns, whatever, it's really annoying. The "bus" analogy is decently accurate. Somebody please ask your mechanic as to the consequences of this mod! I'd really like to know if long term damage is really that bad..
Old 04-16-2002, 11:18 AM

Poor radius

I hear you on the steering. I look like a jacka$$ trying to park mine sometimes...

Ugh.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:20 PM

Re: njmaxseltd......i completely agree

Originally posted by Foglght
My 5'th gen does have the steering stops just for starts.

Right away you will not notice anything. Nissan power steering pumps are very quiet, even with air in the system. The CV joints are being stressed out by "overturning the car. I'm actually more worried about the rack than anything (nice rack!). The nissan engineers, although sometimes i wonder, didn't just put them there for nothing.

but anyway, if its worth not being embarrased at the bank, than go for it.
The 2k and 2k1 Maxima GXE and GLE have exactly the same front suspension/steering setup as the 2k1 and 2k2 SE models but came with 16" wheels without the steering stops, so I don't think the steering stops are there to protect the CV joints.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:07 PM

hey Chinkzilla,

do you think you could post some photos of the wheel stops?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:15 PM
Very sound, Mike

The radius is bad alright. To make up for the wide turn i usually to the L-R-L or R-L-R technique if i think i can't make it via an ordinary turn (e.g. like how truck drivers do it).
Old 04-16-2002, 02:32 PM

Re: Re: njmaxseltd......i completely agree

I got one of the first 2k maxes. Mine was an SE. And at the time you could not get the 17" wheels.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:21 PM

are you talking about the bolts that sorta stick out from where the rotors are with the bolt heads hitting the stop? if it is, isn't i possible to simply replace them with shorter ones? also, if it's missing, what's hitting the stop now?
Old 04-16-2002, 06:23 PM

btw, when the hell did you get a 2k2? was that the car you drove to tapioca express?? if it was, then i shoulda checked it out.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:34 PM

After reading all these posts here's my opinion:

If there are max's out there without the stop bolts, then it's probably ok. They probably put them there because of the 17" tires. If you turn the wheel completley without the stops and hammer the throttle, perhaps the tires will rub with the body roll. That was probably what they were worried about. If the original design for the car was for 16" wheels, then they had to modify for 17"'s. They may have erred on the safe side to not worry about lawsuits. I don't see myself cranking the wheel all the way over unless I'm doing SLOW manuvers...such as parking or a u-turn. I think if you keep to a min like that, there should be no problem.

However, I am not going to remove my bolts on my 02 until I hear what happens to your cars!
Just kidding...I'll probably take em out when I get a chance...I really don't think the radius is THAT bad...I mean, it is a big car. MY integra with 17" wheels just as bad of a turning circle.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by serin
are you talking about the bolts that sorta stick out from where the rotors are with the bolt heads hitting the stop? if it is, isn't i possible to simply replace them with shorter ones? also, if it's missing, what's hitting the stop now?
Yes, they hit a plate on the back side of your control arm when the wheel is turned all the way in either direction. I have also considered replacing them with shorter ones, but first I wanted to see if removing them completely had a negative effect.

Njmaxseltd, I meant no hostility, I was simply implying that you may not have first hand knowledge of this problem on the 2k2's as it is REALLY pronounced. Having owned my last maxima for two years, I never once had a problem making a u-turn or parking. I assume that since the overall suspension geometry and steering components are identical, that we should be able to get away with it. I'm just experimenting right now to see if we can figure out a solution that is both safe and effective.

I'm going to ask my mechanic about it the next time I'm in the shop for my dyno run. I will post pictures of the stops as soon as I can find my digital camera.

Serin: That wasn't my 2k2, that was my 2k GLE.. I got my new car about a week afterwards.. Hopefully I'll see you at the next meet or stillen day.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ooooohhhhhhhh ive always wondered why it took me so damn long to get into our parking space inside our carport/driveway/backyard i just thought my car was alot bigger than my dads 1989 camry...
Old 04-16-2002, 10:35 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have experience driving Mack Trucks, and I have a hard time pulling this thing into a carport.. I want pictures of these stops !
Old 04-17-2002, 01:59 AM

I took pictures of before and after shots of me removing the stops that your talking about... The increase in turn radius was very very freaking small... I want to see some measurements before I beleive you

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=107211
Old 04-18-2002, 10:18 AM

No pics.

Old 04-18-2002, 10:11 PM

Guess my friend took them down. Won't be able to get them back soon either. My point is I removed them with barely an increased turning radius. Wondering how exactly yours got better when mine did not.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:35 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

only the SE and GLE has these on 2k2 cus of the 17inch wheels. the GXE doesn't come with them so they can't be too essential and GXE people upgrade thier rims and are fine.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by melteye
Guess my friend took them down. Won't be able to get them back soon either. My point is I removed them with barely an increased turning radius. Wondering how exactly yours got better when mine did not.
Not having your pictures to compare, nor mine for that matter it's difficult to say. however, as I remember it, the stops you removed looked a little different than the ones I did? All I know is it made a huge difference in my turning radius and was immediately noticable. The stops I removed were approximately 3 1/2 inches long and had little white hats... for that matter they were blue too, no just kidding.

But all in all they looked very much like bolts with white plastic caps.. But I suppose I'm just talking in circles until I take pictures so I'll go look for my camera today.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:18 AM

Same thing I removed. I should try again.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:53 AM

Same thing I removed. I should try again.
try this. Go to a street you have trouble making a U-turn on, make the u-turn with no L-R-L or R-L-R technique. Drive home. Remove stops. Go back to intersection and repeat U-turn. Return to .org with results.

BTW the gremlins have eaten my 800 dollar digital camera
Old 04-19-2002, 03:29 AM

I already did that. And remember the old threat? I even measured before and after. Only a few inch decrease.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:33 AM

I already did that. And remember the old thread? I even measured before and after. Only a few inch decrease.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:58 AM

Yes, they hit a plate on the back side of your control arm when the wheel is turned all the way in either direction. I have also considered replacing them with shorter ones, but first I wanted to see if removing them completely had a negative effect.

Njmaxseltd, I meant no hostility, I was simply implying that you may not have first hand knowledge of this problem on the 2k2's as it is REALLY pronounced. Having owned my last maxima for two years, I never once had a problem making a u-turn or parking. I assume that since the overall suspension geometry and steering components are identical, that we should be able to get away with it. I'm just experimenting right now to see if we can figure out a solution that is both safe and effective.

I'm going to ask my mechanic about it the next time I'm in the shop for my dyno run. I will post pictures of the stops as soon as I can find my digital camera.

Serin: That wasn't my 2k2, that was my 2k GLE.. I got my new car about a week afterwards.. Hopefully I'll see you at the next meet or stillen day.
sorry if it is a silly problem, u meant the rims hit the back side of the control arm?? but u can still be able to turn?? so whenever u U-turn, u can't turn ur wheels all the way since it will hit the control arm??? will it be danerous during the high speed?? thanks!!
Old 04-23-2002, 05:26 AM

Are you turning the steering wheel all the way right and left? It did not make my car turn on a dime, but it did keep me from making a 3pt turn to park @ Bob Chinn's Crab House!
l8tr -- SS

Quick Reply: Resolved 2k2 Turning Problem!