5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Newbie here; Former Acura owner has questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 09:07 PM
jl74

Newbie here; Former Acura owner has questions.

This is my first post. After 2700+ post on Honda-Tech.com after 2 years, I am leaving the H-A scene and start this one. My Acura GS-R was stolen and I am moving up to a Maxima SE, with 6 speed.

I am picking up the car next week.
1. I am confident I have made the right choice but additional support would be nice, especially from those who had the 8k rpm high reving GSR.
2. I am picking one up for around invoice price. I did some research and it seems like the going rate. Anyone got theirs for less? If so how much?
3. Is the Limited Slip Diff. worth it? The package I am getting doesn't come with one, and if opt for that $350 option, it will add another 1k since it is only available with certain packages.
4. About the advertised 28 mpg, is this really accurate from you driving experiences? It seems to high for a 3.5 engine. I mean my Path only gets like 19 mpg but I am sure the fuel delivery is different due to a variety of things but I am just a bit skeptical.
5. Repairs? anyone had some bad experiences?
6. My stolen GS-R was loaded with aftermarket, are there significant aftermarket support for the Maxima?

Thanks in advance and I will keep using the search function.

Old 04-13-2002, 09:12 PM
jjs

Some feedback...

1. Think you did. Had a Prelude V-TEC and really enjoy the Max.
2. This entirly depends on location, dealership, etc. You can drive yourself nuts with this one if you dwell on it!
3. Get the HLSD, I know I am very happy with the VLSD that came on my 2001 AE.
4. Don't expect that high a mileage...some members do get that, but with the fun that the Max delivers, it is VERY difficult to stay off the throttle!!
5. Not yet thank god, but others have...on the 2k2's some include sunroof problems, manual shifter 'stickiness', etc. Beware of brake rotor ills like on the 2000 and 2001 models.
6. Unfortuenately, not really...I mean there are some suppliers, but nothing like for the Honda/Acura market...

Enjoy!
Old 04-13-2002, 09:19 PM
jl74

thanks. I know that 255 hp is plenty but a few additional ones don't hurt.
The first thing I will definitely jump on is the exhaust and intake and since I am soooooo ignorant regarding Nissan aftermarket stuff, the only one I know on top of my head are the Stillen.
I will keep searching and learning.

Old 04-13-2002, 09:39 PM

Re: Newbie here; Former Acura owner has questions.

I am picking up the car next week.
congrats!

1. I am confident I have made the right choice but additional support would be nice, especially from those who had the 8k rpm high reving GSR.

Best car for the money, I used to own an acura and a honda, Legend and an accord. The maxima reminds me lots of fond memories with my torquey legend.. Although my honda was only an accord, i've driven my friend's RSX, preludes, and integras and I can honestly say, there's just one thing missing in all that, TORQUE! You'll love it. BrianV is an ex GSR owner, he also had his stolen, but he loves his max now, he drives a supercharged 4th gen.

2. I am picking one up for around invoice price. I did some research and it seems like the going rate. Anyone got theirs for less? If so how much?

Got mine for about Invoice plus some goodies thrown in, you probably have some room to negotiate a bit lower, try for invoice before the rebate and special financing. So ending up below invoice, this was my mistake, I didn't realize they had already tacked on the rebate to my price and by the time they made it known to me, i was already like, screw it i want the car now.

3. Is the Limited Slip Diff. worth it? The package I am getting doesn't come with one, and if opt for that $350 option, it will add another 1k since it is only available with certain packages.

YES, get the LSD, your complaints about fwd will be forgotten. None of the dealers around my area were willing to find one for me, I got screwed oh well, i guess no snow in socal means no LSD for me =( An aftermarket one will cost 1400+500 in labor if they even make one for the 2k2's. 350 plus some cool options is a great deal. Plus it's warranteed.

4. About the advertised 28 mpg, is this really accurate from you driving experiences? It seems to high for a 3.5 engine. I mean my Path only gets like 19 mpg but I am sure the fuel delivery is different due to a variety of things but I am just a bit skeptical.

I too was skeptical, and on the first tank of dealer gas, I only got around 19 mpg, but after I filled up with 91 octane chevron I got 22-23 mpg, and that's mostly city driving. On the freeway I sometimes get 30+ mpg cruising in 6th.

5. Repairs? anyone had some bad experiences?

Not yet, both maximas I've owned have been nothing but completely, utterly, unwaveringly reliable. SOME here might disagree, but I think it's one of the most problem free cars I've ever owned.

6. My stolen GS-R was loaded with aftermarket, are there significant aftermarket support for the Maxima?

Not half as much support as acuras and hondas, but enough to keep you busy for a while. When you run out, you can explore many of the custom and home made options that our members work on all the time.

Thanks in advance and I will keep using the search function. [/B]

I guess some of us really scare the newbies around here

Hope this helps sorry so long
Old 04-13-2002, 09:55 PM
RKS

Originally posted by jl74
thanks. I know that 255 hp is plenty but a few additional ones don't hurt.
The first thing I will definitely jump on is the exhaust and intake and since I am soooooo ignorant regarding Nissan aftermarket stuff, the only one I know on top of my head are the Stillen.
I will keep searching and learning.
Except for the supercharger there are alternatives to $tealin' for other modifications. I can't speak for everybody but it seems most of the org does not approve of their high prices and low service.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:22 PM
jl74

Thanks guys.,
I am so stoked about my upcoming Maxima SE.
TORQUE is sooooooo nice that I think about when I did like a 25 minute test drive. Yeah I took my time. But now, I am having second doubts not opting for the limited slip. I got to call the dealer tomorrow to find me one.
It is an entirely different car than a modded GSR. My ex car was fast but you need to be spinning at around 7-8k rpm for anything to happen, and I love the way the Maxima ooomphs at just the tap of the gas.
Damn, I am excited now after spending two hours so far on this site and just reading recent and archived threads.

People here seems to be nicer and less arrogant (less kids) than in Honda Acura forums.

Old 04-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

youll like it...you wont necessarily need to downshift to pass cars on the freeway..ive raced my boss' GSR plenty of times..hes got a CAI..header..complete exhaust...MSD...iridium plugs...ground controls..but..never fails..he might pull a little at the end of 3rd gear..but anything pass that..hes looking at my lights..and rear sway bar! and for right now he can out corner me..but i'll soon fix that..with some ground control's and KYB's. Aftermarket is comming..slowly..but surely.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:10 PM

Maximas are a wise purchase.

With 255 Hp already and it sounds as if your going to mod for more power defintely get the HLSD. Really will help when hitting the gas around corners or when conditions turn poor.

I previously have owned an integra and find the Maxima to be a much better all-around car. My 2 year old Max has had no issues other than TSB work. Integra was kinda problematic by comparison. Lookout for paint chips though.

Enjoy the Ride
Old 04-14-2002, 12:05 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Maximas are a wise purchase....

But a foolish sale

thats the ONLY thing you will miss about your GSR, resale. On the lot, it's the best near luxury, near sports sedan 'value' out there.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:39 AM

As a non-HLSD 6spd owner, all I can say that if you are going to drive it HARD then you should probably get it. I did not get it, but I'm not racing around with it either. No intent on modding it, unless you include adding baby seats in the back! The only time I may wish we would have gotten it is in the snow, but since it doesn't snow in Pa. anymore, it should not be a problem. We don't have winters like we used to. I think the Potenzas will be more of a problem. As a former Acura/Honda owner (Civic and Integra), I am loving the torque.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by phillyguy
As a non-HLSD 6spd owner, all I can say that if you are going to drive it HARD then you should probably get it. I did not get it, but I'm not racing around with it either. No intent on modding it, unless you include adding baby seats in the back! The only time I may wish we would have gotten it is in the snow, but since it doesn't snow in Pa. anymore, it should not be a problem. We don't have winters like we used to. I think the Potenzas will be more of a problem. As a former Acura/Honda owner (Civic and Integra), I am loving the torque.
I totally agree with most of the posts here. I still have my modded 6th gen Accord (hence my 'F23A4' handle) and am a Moderator on Superhonda.com. My Accord has an Iceman Intake, DC Sports headers, APEXi Exhaust, Stillen Fuel Pressure Riser, Skunk2 Cam, AEM Tru Power Pullies and APEXi VAFC and still doesn't come near the HP/torque level of my Maxima. I now even have that Maxima cockiness that I hated from other Maxima owners previously. (Though I still can't beat heavily modded Tegs or Civics, I've definately narrowed the margin.)

Caveat, you're more than likely not going to see 28mpg. I think I'm seeing around 20mpg at best. And as for the import performance aftermarket, no motor has as much support as the B-Series Honda motors. So VQ35DE support won't compare--right now. But this is a new motor currently only avail in the Max, Altima, G35, I35 and Pathfinder but soon to make its way into the 350Z, Murano SUV, GTR and Quest minivan. So the shear number vehicles that will soon have this motor will hopefully induce a large aftermarket.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:28 PM

welcome to the board.