5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman CAT-BACK issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 01:50 PM

Cattman CAT-BACK issues

Just wanted to let you all know that I finally received my cat-back from cattman yesterday.

I went to install it, and guess what ... hey it didn't fit. what a surprise from such an early buy in from him. Anyway, the resonator pipe was too long by about six inches. I had to cut it off and weld it to the b-pipe to get it to fit.

No real problem, but paying almost $600 for this entire system that had supposedly been prototyped before hand was a little hard to swallow.

The pictures will follow.

Also, just a note to anyone who wants this system and your car is lowered ... the resonator just sits about 3 inches from the ground

Pic of how much pipe to cut off ...

Pic of resonator welded to B-pipe

Pic of resonator/cat ground clearance
Old 04-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Cattman CAT-BACK issues

yikes! That's brutal! I wonder if you'll lose your warranty because of your custom modification?

Originally posted by ispeed
Just wanted to let you all know that I finally received my cat-back from cattman yesterday.

I went to install it, and guess what ... hey it didn't fit. what a surprise from such an early buy in from him. Anyway, the resonator pipe was too long by about six inches. I had to cut it off and weld it to the b-pipe to get it to fit.

No real problem, but paying almost $600 for this entire system that had supposedly been prototyped before hand was a little hard to swallow.

Also, just a note to anyone who wants this system and your car is lowered ... the resonator just sits about 3 inches from the ground

Old 04-19-2002, 02:10 PM

Re: Re: Cattman CAT-BACK issues

Originally posted by ohboiya
yikes! That's brutal! I wonder if you'll lose your warranty because of your custom modification?

i'm sure he'll probably say that I did lose the warranty by doing that, but it was either do that or wait another 3-6 to send it back, let him work on it again and get it sent back to me ...

I would be very pi$$ed if it voided the warranty from cattman, but hey that's the decission I had to make ...
Old 04-19-2002, 02:16 PM

YIKES!!!

That resonator is hanging WAY TOO LOW!!! Did you have to remove any of your braces to install the Cattman catback, ispeed?
Old 04-19-2002, 02:21 PM
PRINCE NISMO

Sorry to hear about the fitment problem ispeed, but I thought that the exhaust was test fitted several times and all install issues had been solved......

Old 04-19-2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by PRINCE NISMO
Sorry to hear about the fitment problem ispeed, but I thought that the exhaust was test fitted several times and all install issues had been solved......
Man, if the fitment problem and the resonator placement are any indication, Cattman needs to start over! There's just no reason for the resonator to be hanging down like that. If I were you, ispeed, I'd let Brian know what's going on right away.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:28 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Man, with that resonator hanging like that, get ready for some major damage to it real soon. That hangs dangerously low ! I think I will pass on Cattman...
Old 04-19-2002, 06:28 PM

Re: Cattman CAT-BACK issues

Here we go again, how many times do ppl need to see that Cattman's products have fitment problem..it's been a long time issue,not one day or one week, it's been at least 2 years as far as I know.

From , Coil-Over (gen I, II),CAI, Y-pipes, motor Mounts(not his fault, i know but that just adds to his already existing"fitment" problems products..now his Cat-Back...

Very Great..
Old 04-19-2002, 06:44 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Do you have the S-section (an O2 should go into it)? I can't tell from the picture... but it sort of looks like you do have it.

If you do, then you probably didn't need to cut that section off. All you have to do is weld an O2 bung on the b-pipe and remove the s-section.

Old 04-19-2002, 07:01 PM

Shouldve gotten greddy, or saved for some volk le-37 wheels like someone..cough cough
Old 04-19-2002, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Do you have the S-section (an O2 should go into it)? I can't tell from the picture... but it sort of looks like you do have it.

If you do, then you probably didn't need to cut that section off. All you have to do is weld an O2 bung on the b-pipe and remove the s-section.

You are correct Kevin! If he removed his (which he definatly has) S-Section the pipe would have been just the right length. Sad thing is that the S-section is the most restrictive part of the B-Pipe and really should be replaced.

Now he has a S-Back exhaust rather then a "cat" back exhaust.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:44 PM

get ready for the resonators to get majorly scrape. You have about the same clearance as I do on my Miata, which is lowered for autocrossing. My Thermal catback (fully polished) got thrashed within 3-4 months. Just take all the speedbumps and driveways at an angle or you'll hear a loud scrape
Old 04-19-2002, 09:05 PM

Fitment problems with Cattman? Let's hear it from all of the flamers that claim that Stillen performance is expensive and that their products are a rip-off. I have yet to hear about a single fitment problem on a Stealing product. Maybe, just maybe there is a reason why companies like Stillen charge what they do. I beleive it is call R&D.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by rubman
Fitment problems with Cattman? Let's hear it from all of the flamers that claim that Stillen performance is expensive and that their products are a rip-off. I have yet to hear about a single fitment problem on a Stealing product. Maybe, just maybe there is a reason why companies like Stillen charge what they do. I beleive it is call R&D.
Not to flame or anything, but I've heard some of the FSTBs from Stillen to pinch off the windshield washer lines. While this is not as big an issue as the Cattman one, it's still not a perfect product. Also, I believe that the Cattman catback is a quality product. It is a very nice system, however, if everything was perfect in life, then it wouldn't be life right? Just my two cents.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:03 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

My point is if anyone of us spends $600.00 for a Cat Back.... IT SHOULD FIT ! No freakin excuses !
Old 04-19-2002, 11:13 PM

I agree ... it should be as simple as that ...

Originally posted by kloogy
My point is if anyone of us spends $600.00 for a Cat Back.... IT SHOULD FIT ! No freakin excuses !
Old 04-19-2002, 11:50 PM
RBa

Originally posted by ohboiya
I agree ... it should be as simple as that ...

I was planning on purchasing it from catman but I guess I'll pass and stick with Greddy...

All this time waiting anxiously has gone down the drain.. I expected better...
Old 04-20-2002, 12:11 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hey guys... if you're Fed spec, all you have to do is remove the s-section. If you're Cali spec, don't worry about it because it'll fit.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:20 AM

Y2KevSE,

Did you get some new wheels? I went to your homepage and didn't see them, but on your car in your sig. they look good.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:46 AM

Hey guys... if you're Fed spec, all you have to do is remove the s-section. If you're Cali spec, don't worry about it because it'll fit.

well I must admit I didn't know that ... would have been nice to have instructions.

On an install note, I thought about doing that. I saw the section (S pipe) on the cat with the o2 sensor on there. It would have still been a tight fit, but still would have most like had to cut the resonator pipe. Also, I called my exhaust shop about welding the o2 sensor in like that to such a shor resonator pipe. He told me no.

Anyway, its on there now. If I get a wild hair, I might go back under and replace the S pipe that you are talking about with another straight pipe.

P.S. Don't kick Cattman in the teeth just yet ... he does have good products and if he ever has anything else I need, I will buy from him (he is also a pretty good guy). I just won't be the first in line. I think I will let everyone else work out the kinks.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:48 AM

I think I will let everyone else work out the kinks.
I thought that was what the manufacturer was supposed to do before bringing a product out to the market ...
Old 04-20-2002, 09:53 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by 2000 SE
Y2KevSE,

Did you get some new wheels? I went to your homepage and didn't see them, but on your car in your sig. they look good.
I haven't updated my homepage yet, but you can check out more pics at http://boostedmaximas.com/y2kevse/images/le37k/

well I must admit I didn't know that ... would have been nice to have instructions.

On an install note, I thought about doing that. I saw the section (S pipe) on the cat with the o2 sensor on there. It would have still been a tight fit, but still would have most like had to cut the resonator pipe. Also, I called my exhaust shop about welding the o2 sensor in like that to such a shor resonator pipe. He told me no.

Anyway, its on there now. If I get a wild hair, I might go back under and replace the S pipe that you are talking about with another straight pipe.

P.S. Don't kick Cattman in the teeth just yet ... he does have good products and if he ever has anything else I need, I will buy from him (he is also a pretty good guy). I just won't be the first in line. I think I will let everyone else work out the kinks.
Instructions stating the differences in Fed and Cali spec would've been really helpful. I had no idea the Fed spec has the s-section until people started talking about welding O2's on the GReddy b-pipe. I know I didn't have to do that.

You might want to replace the s-section because it looks somewhat restrictive.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:02 PM

So this should fit on a Cali spec with no problems? I was going to get this too, but am having second thoughts now after reading this thread.
Man, nice rims Kev!
I was all ready to by a set of Volk Racing GT-Ps... but the tax man took all my money
Old 04-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
So this should fit on a Cali spec with no problems? I was going to get this too, but am having second thoughts now after reading this thread.
Man, nice rims Kev!
I was all ready to by a set of Volk Racing GT-Ps... but the tax man took all my money
Thanks Sheldon.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:40 AM

FYI

I e-mailed Brian about the Cattman exhaust for fed spec 2ks. The fed specs, as opposed to the cali spec 2000 and the 2k1/2k2, have an 02 sensor located in the S pipe immediately after the cat. There is no such sensor on the cali/2k1/2k2.

Cattman's exhaust does not have a bung for that 02 sensor. If you have a fed spec, you'll need to take the mid-pipe to an exhaust shop and have them add a bung. Brian said it should cost no more than $20 or so and could be done by the average shop.