5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help - strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 07:48 PM

Need help - strange problem

Hi experts
I've got 2000 SE no mods.
I've got a strange problem since a cople days ago.
Here it is: Right after I stop the engine I can hear strange squeaking noise coming from under the hood for about 5 to 7 seconds. I had this car for almost 2 years by now and had never heared anything like this. I set an appointment and went to my dealer's service center and ( you can guess it ) was told that it's normal and this is some valve working... When I told them I never heard that kind of a noise befor - answer was - "You just never paid attention to it...". Stupid.
So my question is do you guys have that kind of a noise ( doubt it ) or you may have some kind of a idea what it could be?
Please help, I don't even know if it's safe to drive this car anymore.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:51 PM

Re: Need help - strange problem

Originally posted by Yogik
Hi experts
Here it is: Right after I stop the engine I can hear strange squeaking noise coming from under the hood for about 5 to 7 seconds. I had this car for almost 2 years by now and had never heared anything like this. I set an appointment and went to my dealer's service center and ( you can guess it ) was told that it's normal and this is some valve working... When I told them I never heard that kind of a noise befor - answer was - "You just never paid attention to it...". Stupid.
So my question is do you guys have that kind of a noise ( doubt it ) or you may have some kind of a idea what it could be?
Stop by and have them listen to it, if they say it's normal have them show you another car they have that does it. Since you have 2k they should have 1 in for service or a used 1 on the lot! If you were my customer that's what I would do!
l8tr -- SS
Old 04-19-2002, 07:52 PM

squeaking noise

Generally speaking noises like that are due to either a belt slipping or a pulley bearing going. A competent mechanic can diagnose this with a mechanic's stethascope (similar to a doctor's except it allows them to hear much more localized sound and at a greatly diminished volume). Does the sound get worse with the AC on? Does the pitch change with the speed of the engine? These might all help to localize the problem.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:56 PM

Guys pay attentions to what I'm saying -5-7 SECOND OF SQUEAKING AFTER I STOP ENGINE. INGINE IS NOT RUNNING!!! They listened to it and said it's normal. I know it's not. I've never had it. Any ideas?
Old 04-19-2002, 07:58 PM

misread

Guys pay attentions to what I'm saying -5-7 SECOND OF SQUEAKING AFTER I STOP ENGINE. INGINE IS NOT RUNNING!!! They listened to it and said it's normal. I know it's not. I've never had it. Any ideas?
Sorry, I misread what you wrote. It's not uncommon to hear pinging (metal cooling) but squeaking is a little strange. Does it sound like gas under pressure escaping? Is the engine really stopped or have you simply turned off the car? Is it the electric fan motor cooling the engine off (they continue to run until a certain temperature is reached).
Old 04-19-2002, 08:00 PM

rusty timing belt pulley?
Old 04-19-2002, 08:02 PM

Everything is off. I start engine. I stop engine and remove the key from the lock. 7 seconds of squeaking coming from the engine, sonds like a valve of some opens and release the pressure , then again and again... Ups-Ups..Ups-Ups.. 2 times a second or so. And electric fan os off.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I get the same thing, but i've had it for a while. It seems normal, like stuff is winding down or valves are closing. Got 31K miles, doing ok so far.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:10 PM

another attempt

Everything is off. I start engine. I stop engine and remove the key from the lock. 7 seconds of squeaking coming from the engine, sonds like a valve of some opens and release the pressure , then again and again... Ups-Ups..Ups-Ups.. 2 times a second or so. And electric fan os off.
Don't really have a clue. Sorry. I briefly thought it might be a fuel leak but I'm sure you would smell the fuel and see the mileage drop. You can check by switching the car to on, without starting (starts the fuel pump), and then shut the car off.

You didn't specifically say if the cooling fan was definitely off. I believe they are electric and not driven by the motor directly. That might be the bearing you are looking for.

But it sounds like you need to call the service manager and ask them to show you where on the car the noise is made from (since they say this is normal they should be able to explain/show where it comes from). Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Tanmann9
I get the same thing, but i've had it for a while. It seems normal, like stuff is winding down or valves are closing. Got 31K miles, doing ok so far.
Is it loud? You have it for 7 seconds after you stop the engine?
Old 04-19-2002, 08:16 PM

Is it loud? You have it for 7 seconds after you stop the engine?
Loud enough so I can hear it after I exit the car. I've lingered a few times to see what the noise is and it goes for 5-10 seconds after I've turned off the engine and got out of the car (another few seconds). When I first noticed it, I opened the hood and cut the engine, then looked in the engine bay. I didn't see anything moving, but heard the sounds clearly. Some whirring, some clicking, some creaking.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:20 PM

Loud enough so I can hear it after I exit the car. I've lingered a few times to see what the noise is and it goes for 5-10 seconds after I've turned off the engine and got out of the car (another few seconds). When I first noticed it, I opened the hood and cut the engine, then looked in the engine bay. I didn't see anything moving, but heard the sounds clearly. Some whirring, some clicking, some creaking.
Thank you Tanmann9. At least now I know I'm not alone. I'm going to try to get it fixed.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:26 PM

Thank you Tanmann9. At least now I know I'm not alone. I'm going to try to get it fixed.
Honestly I don't think it can be fixed. It seems pretty normal to me that mechanical parts will continue to move until they come to a stand still (inertia or something). Like I said, I've had my Maxima for 2.5 years with 31K miles and no signs of problems even with the sounds from the engine.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:32 PM

Honestly I don't think it can be fixed. It seems pretty normal to me that mechanical parts will continue to move until they come to a stand still (inertia or something). Like I said, I've had my Maxima for 2.5 years with 31K miles and no signs of problems even with the sounds from the engine.
It seem for now that we are only people here who have this sound. If so - to me it's not normal, it bothers me and I didn't have it before so I'll try to get it fixed or at least explained.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:42 PM

Anyone else has this problem? Please let me know, I'm trying to collect information before I go to my dealer again.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:24 PM

does it sound like engine is still running after you turn the igniton off, a simple detonation, then you have probs with ignition. But if you hear some excessive noise, I would really be concerned. Take your car to another dealer and dont delay, it may cost you engine.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:40 PM

if you are an automtic, this could be your liquid filled motor mounts. my 2k did the same thing, i got it replaced and never heard that noise again.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:43 PM

Maybe a rat or squirrel living under the hood? j/k.

Seriously, I would take it to a REAL mechanic and let him listen to it and make a diagnosis. If its still under warranty take it to the dealer and tell them whatever the mechanic tells you.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:15 PM

Re: Need help - strange problem

Hi experts
Amazing how few respondants actually read your whole post. I'll bet it's related to the evaporative emissions package (maybe the mechanic said "evap purge valve"?). It is sort of normal although I haven't heard it on my 2k yet. Possibly cleaning out the charcoal cannister would help.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:27 AM

Re: Re: Need help - strange problem

Originally posted by wdave

Amazing how few respondants actually read your whole post. I'll bet it's related to the evaporative emissions package (maybe the mechanic said "evap purge valve"?). It is sort of normal although I haven't heard it on my 2k yet. Possibly cleaning out the charcoal cannister would help.
You may be right. However it now starts to makes same noise and shakes the engine when I brake and makes this noise when I turn key to the "on" position....
Strange..
Old 04-23-2002, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone else has this problem? Please let me know, I'm trying to collect information before I go to my dealer again.
I came to the forum to look for just this problem. I have 2k1 max se auto. I turn off the engine and I hear a noise. it sounds less like a squeak and more like a mechanism winding down (mechanical buzz). it sounded closer to the ground then anything so I am wondering if it has something to do with the ABS. I have to get a second person to listen for it. the only thing I can do is open the door, stick my head down as far as I can an turn off the ignition. the acoustics could just make it sound like it is coming from somewhere other than where I think it is.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:59 AM

Ok, here it is. I went to another dealership today and found real PRO tech guy there. The reason for this noise is ( are ) electric motor mount(s). This dealer orderd them and as soon as they come dealer will install them.
Another thing that has been done - reprogramming of the computer. I've got to tell you - now it's a different car. Faster acceleration, more powerfull and ideling noise dissapeared , I'd recommend it to all 2000 owners.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:43 AM

This sounds like the same exact noise I was experiencing. After shutting off the engine, I would hear a winding noise underneath the hood. I took the car to my Nissan service center and they identified the problem to be the elecronic motor mounts. I had the car serviced (replace motor mounts) and never heard the noise again. This was covered under the warranty.

2001 Icelandic Pearl Maxima SE

IceMaxSE
Old 04-25-2002, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, here it is. I went to another dealership today and found real PRO tech guy there. The reason for this noise is ( are ) electric motor mount(s). This dealer orderd them and as soon as they come dealer will install them.
Another thing that has been done - reprogramming of the computer. I've got to tell you - now it's a different car. Faster acceleration, more powerfull and ideling noise dissapeared , I'd recommend it to all 2000 owners.
this is great. now I have a place to point to about the noise.
about the reprogram, did they do this for you for free and was there something specific that you told them that got them to do it? I know for some of these hidden recalls and service bulletins you have to ask for a specific fix in order for them to offer to do it for you. the thing I noticed in my car is that depending on how fast you press down on the accelorator, the transmission will shift differently. I thought this was intentional but maybe it is something that can be improved.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by bcookin

this is great. now I have a place to point to about the noise.
about the reprogram, did they do this for you for free and was there something specific that you told them that got them to do it? I know for some of these hidden recalls and service bulletins you have to ask for a specific fix in order for them to offer to do it for you. the thing I noticed in my car is that depending on how fast you press down on the accelorator, the transmission will shift differently. I thought this was intentional but maybe it is something that can be improved.
No I didn't ask for it, I just mentioned shaky ideling, the tech asked me if computer has ever been reprogrammed. I said - NO, he said that there is a good chance reprogramming will improve performance and fix many other problems I may have ( excluding of cource the noise ). And I tell you - shifting now is different and much improved comparing to what it was before reprogramming. It feels like I got 20 more hp , and I almost can't hear the engine while ideling.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:48 AM

Here's a TSB that might cover your problem from the NHSTA site. Maybe someone can post a copy.

Make: NISSAN Model: MAXIMA Year: 2000

Service Bulletin Number: NTB01010 Bulletin Sequence Number: 187 Date of Bulletin: 02/01

NHTSA Item Number: SB618795
Component: ENGINE
Summary:
SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A BUZZING NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT FOR SEVERAL SECONDS AFTER THE IGNITION KEY IS TURNED OFF. *TT
Old 04-26-2002, 04:34 PM

I stand corrected

Great that you found a way to fix the problem. Were the motor mounts bad or failing or something? When I checked with a local dealer, he said the 2K Maxima doesn't have electric motor mounts.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:17 PM

I told you that was what was wrong with it. I had that done to both me 2k maximas. glad to hear your prob is fixed
Old 04-26-2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by 00Semaxi

I told you that was what was wrong with it. I had that done to both me 2k maximas. glad to hear your prob is fixed
So do they replace the electric motor mounts with non-electric ones, or are the electric ones just replaced?
Old 04-26-2002, 10:20 PM

Re: I stand corrected

Great that you found a way to fix the problem. Were the motor mounts bad or failing or something? When I checked with a local dealer, he said the 2K Maxima doesn't have electric motor mounts.
I don't think this dealer would lie to me, This sounds like a known problem and tech I spoke with had no doubt what is is right after he checked the noise. Btw I had a call today from this dealer and my part ( electric motor mounts they are) just came so they will be replaced Monday.
Tanmann9 I'd got to your dealer again or found another one, it is a problem that needs to be fixed .
Thanks 00Semaxi for advise, it really helped.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:15 PM

I HAVE A 01 A.E AND I HAVE THE SAME SOUND. IT HAD IT SINCE IT WAS NEW .ITS NOT A PROBLEM.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by CHEPS,MAX
I HAVE A 01 A.E AND I HAVE THE SAME SOUND. IT HAD IT SINCE IT WAS NEW .ITS NOT A PROBLEM.
My friend, it looks like you bought a brocken car. Read the topic.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Re: I stand corrected

I don't think this dealer would lie to me, This sounds like a known problem and tech I spoke with had no doubt what is is right after he checked the noise. Btw I had a call today from this dealer and my part ( electric motor mounts they are) just came so they will be replaced Monday.
Tanmann9 I'd got to your dealer again or found another one, it is a problem that needs to be fixed .
Thanks 00Semaxi for advise, it really helped.
I'm sure they weren't lying to you, I'm just wondering what is wrong with the mounts if they make the whirring noise. Does that mean they're about to go bad or that they're already bad?
Old 04-27-2002, 10:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: I stand corrected

I'm sure they weren't lying to you, I'm just wondering what is wrong with the mounts if they make the whirring noise. Does that mean they're about to go bad or that they're already bad?
I don't know I think they got bad already, or one of them. There is tsb about it I think, look in previous posts in this topic.
Let's make sure we are talking about the same noise
You can listen to it here
It goes - key to "ON" position (noise) - start engine - stop engine (noise)
Old 04-27-2002, 02:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I stand corrected

I don't know I think they got bad already, or one of them. There is tsb about it I think, look in previous posts in this topic.
Let's make sure we are talking about the same noise
You can listen to it here
It goes - key to "ON" position (noise) - start engine - stop engine (noise)
Yikes that sounds horrible! Mine isn't doing the same thing then. It makes some gas-release noise and a clickity-click noise for maybe 3 seconds after I turn off the engine. Glad you found the fix!

BTW, the TSB doesn't have much information in it. I checked the NTSA website and it has no more information than what was posted here.
Old 04-27-2002, 03:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I stand corrected

Yikes that sounds horrible! Mine isn't doing the same thing then. It makes some gas-release noise and a clickity-click noise for maybe 3 seconds after I turn off the engine. Glad you found the fix!

BTW, the TSB doesn't have much information in it. I checked the NTSA website and it has no more information than what was posted here.
I've figured this. You would know it's a problem when you hear something like this Just if you hear it , don't wait , and replace motor mounts
Old 04-28-2002, 09:06 PM

Take it to another dealer, if they this dealer said no problem then
try calling Nissan Headquarter. I have a different problem with my 2000 Max and the dealer where I bought my car said it got no problem after I brought it to their dealer. Finally I brought it to another dealer and they fix it.