5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tint Problems...what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 11:17 AM

Tint Problems...what can I do?

Alrite, I got my Max's windows tinted [20%] like a month ago and besides the greenish look of the windows, I'm not satisfied w/the job that the tint shop did. On ALL of the windows tiny bubbles have shown up. I took it to the shop last week and they said they would only re-tint the front 2's because you have to look really close to find the bubbbles on the back 2. According to the guy, the front 2 are "really bad" and something they would replace. He says "because you have to look really close to see the bubbles in the back, I can't replace it, its inevitable that you will get some bubbles." I'm going back on Friday to see if he can do the back..I called the manufacturer who makes the tint and they said they only warranty the film itself and not the labor. I took the car to another tint shop and they said it's definately a flaw in the other place's labor. According to the other shop, there is like granuals(sp?) of dirt that got caught up behind the film. This is really p***in me off because the car is only one month old!

What do you guys suggest I tell this guy? How do I get him to replace the tint in the back? Anything in particular I can say to get him to do it?..

By the way, I did pay for the job using a credit card. Do you think I should try and dispute the charges? Sorry for making this soo long..Thanks in advance for your replies! [I really need help my poor max!]
Old 04-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Tint Problems...what can I do?

Originally posted by nissan5788
Alrite, I got my Max's windows tinted [20%] like a month ago and besides the greenish look of the windows, I'm not satisfied w/the job that the tint shop did. On ALL of the windows tiny bubbles have shown up. I took it to the shop last week and they said they would only re-tint the front 2's because you have to look really close to find the bubbbles on the back 2. According to the guy, the front 2 are "really bad" and something they would replace. He says "because you have to look really close to see the bubbles in the back, I can't replace it, its inevitable that you will get some bubbles." I'm going back on Friday to see if he can do the back..I called the manufacturer who makes the tint and they said they only warranty the film itself and not the labor. I took the car to another tint shop and they said it's definately a flaw in the other place's labor. According to the other shop, there is like granuals(sp?) of dirt that got caught up behind the film. This is really p***in me off because the car is only one month old!

What do you guys suggest I tell this guy? How do I get him to replace the tint in the back? Anything in particular I can say to get him to do it?..

By the way, I did pay for the job using a credit card. Do you think I should try and dispute the charges? Sorry for making this soo long..Thanks in advance for your replies! [I really need help my poor max!]
I have no bubbles in my tint so the guy is BSing you trying to fix his poor craftsmanship. I am not sure there is any "specific" thing you can say to replace the tint. If he is reputable and been around a while (in my book 10 years or more) then he should fix w/o much hassle.

Disputing using your CC is not as easy as you think and it WILL show up on your credit record. My parents did this w/o much research and it caused problems...do some research with your CC company first to see if they have options for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2002, 11:26 AM

AFTERMARKET TINT IS NOT PERFECT

I work at a shop where we tint windows and all I can say is aftermarket tint is not perfect! You will always have a certain amount of imperfections in tint. People pay 200 bucks for a tint job and expect it to look like it came from the factory. If there are only a few small pin ***** type bubbles I say be happy w/it and enjoy your Max!
Old 04-24-2002, 11:27 AM

I got mine tinted and I have no bubbles what so ever, not even on the back window, however I do have some(two or three) hairline scratches, but you can only see those when the sun hits it just right(I think that just the integrity of the tint. Anyway I would tell them that he his full of it about inevietiably getting bubbles. yes you will get some small ones around the edges but nothing noticable.(unless you are really looking). Tell him in a nice fashion that you would like for him to replace all the window tint or pay for someone else to do it. If not report him to the BBB.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:33 AM

Yes, call your credit card and tell them you want to dispute the labor charge - worth a shot. Then tell the guy if he refunds you your money then you won't report him to the BBB and you won't tell all your friends and family what kind of business they do. BBB and the threat of spreading the word usually gets them listening (in my experience). Guy is right that it won't be perfect, but sounds like you got far from it. I am suprised that they got the dot-matrix strip in the back right. Usually, that where the imperfections show.
Good luck.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:54 AM

I visited a local tint shop a couple of days ago. They said my tint will look greenish too. The guy tells me that is because factory windows have a little green tone to them, but for some reason I think the film color should make a difference. Does anyone know for sure? I have a black car and I want the tint to look as black as possible.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:53 PM

How much did u pay for the job? If you paid more than $175, I'd argue with the guy and report him to the BBB. I had all mine done at 20% and it turned out great... so if the guy f**ks up, you shouldn't have to deal with that. I mean, if you paid under $100, then maybe the quality of the work is represented in the price. Threaten the guy (nicely...) A good rule of thumb for customer service and businesses is "One bad experience is worse than 1000 good ones... cause people only remember the bad times."
Old 04-24-2002, 02:31 PM

That isn't the least of the problem either....

Ya, I paid $200 for EACH car..that's rite, I got 2 of my cars done by this guy [at the same time..ya, my mistake, should have done the Intrepid then looked at the job he did and then hand over the Max. Only reason I did both was cause of this "special" he was running $200] I have the same problem on my Intrepid! The guy seemed reputable in talking to him before I got them tinted. He said they were franchisees of Ziebart but that they got rid of the Ziebart "name" to save on royalties etc. about a year ago. He claims he has been tinting cars for 16 years. It's shocking that he doesn't care more about my concerns. Oh ya, and before I got the Max and Intrepid tinted I asked if he could do the back window in one piece. He said "sure, no problem." Guess what? Both cars' back win. are done in 2 pieces! Ugh!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys...I'll try the BBB threat thing [also suggested by the film company] and if worse comes to worse I'll just have to dispute the charges.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Pointy Elbows

Re: That isn't the least of the problem either....

Ya, I paid $200 for EACH car..that's rite, I got 2 of my cars done by this guy [at the same time..ya, my mistake, should have done the Intrepid then looked at the job he did and then hand over the Max. Only reason I did both was cause of this "special" he was running $200] I have the same problem on my Intrepid! The guy seemed reputable in talking to him before I got them tinted. He said they were franchisees of Ziebart but that they got rid of the Ziebart "name" to save on royalties etc. about a year ago. He claims he has been tinting cars for 16 years. It's shocking that he doesn't care more about my concerns. Oh ya, and before I got the Max and Intrepid tinted I asked if he could do the back window in one piece. He said "sure, no problem." Guess what? Both cars' back win. are done in 2 pieces! Ugh!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys...I'll try the BBB threat thing [also suggested by the film company] and if worse comes to worse I'll just have to dispute the charges.
I'm getting my windows tinted at Ziebart right now. I'm pickin it up in a couple hours. I hope it comes out ok. $200

J.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: That isn't the least of the problem either....

Originally posted by 00MaxSE

I'm getting my windows tinted at Ziebart right now. I'm pickin it up in a couple hours. I hope it comes out ok. $200

J.
I feel sorry for all of you living in the North. I have called three or four shops here in South Florida for quotes. The most expensive quote was $150. All four shops carry Llumar and the quote was for the lifetime warranty tint. Maybe a road trip vacation should be in order whenever you need a car tinted.

Hobert
Old 04-26-2002, 09:39 AM
Pointy Elbows

TINT

Originally posted by Hobert

I feel sorry for all of you living in the North. I have called three or four shops here in South Florida for quotes. The most expensive quote was $150. All four shops carry Llumar and the quote was for the lifetime warranty tint. Maybe a road trip vacation should be in order whenever you need a car tinted.

Hobert
Hey I picked up my car. The tint looks great! They do a good job at Ziebart. I paid $199.95 +tax. 50% is the legal limit in OHIO. (what a joke!) So, I got 50 for the front windows, and 35 around back. My buddy from school got 35% all around for his Grand Am, and got 2 tickets. ($100 fine each! ouch.)

Later,
J.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:37 AM

Hey..thats great to hear!
I went to the guy today and had no luck trying to convince him to do the backs. I'm just going to see what the BBB can do [if anything]. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 04-27-2002, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey..thats great to hear!
I went to the guy today and had no luck trying to convince him to do the backs. I'm just going to see what the BBB can do [if anything]. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Got my windows tinted @ ziebart for $175 & they did awesome job...got metalized tint all around that came w/ lifetime warranty.

P.S.-- Try call your local DMV & ask them to direct you to the dept that can tell you if the business is a franchise. Once you get there find out, if not ask the name of the owner they have listed & phone#. This worked for me one time (but thats another story)...
Old 04-27-2002, 06:37 PM

i got the windows tinted by the dealer on both the maxima and the civic. the civic was taken to alta mere by the dealer, they did a decent job, except for the drivers side window, which had blemishes on it. i took the car back, and they re-did the window, they did better but still has 2 blemishes, can see them in sunlight, so i left it, didn't bother getting them to do it again, i mean, i really didn't pay for it, i worked it into the deal of the car.
bubbles occured in the civic tint, the guy at alta mere told me it will go away in a couple weeks, and it did, the tint settled. the maxima however, NEVER had any bubbles on it, and there are no noticeable imperfections in the tint(i dont know where the dealer took the maxima to have it tinted).
i never knew it cost so much to tint windows, if i paid $200, i might have gone back with civic to get the drivers windows tint re-replaced.

BTW, what is the tint percentage in oklahoma? and what do the percentages mean? is 25% light or dark?
Old 04-27-2002, 07:14 PM
lcf

what green color are you guys talking about? i got my max tinted 2 days after i got it so i dont remember the coloration of the stock glass.

is it only the 2k2s that have the "green" glass or the 2000s also?

this is an important question because im getting my window glass replaced on monday and i dont want that one tinted window to look different than the rest of them!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2002, 08:42 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally posted by slick
i got the windows tinted by the dealer on both the maxima and the civic. the civic was taken to alta mere by the dealer, they did a decent job, except for the drivers side window, which had blemishes on it. i took the car back, and they re-did the window, they did better but still has 2 blemishes, can see them in sunlight, so i left it, didn't bother getting them to do it again, i mean, i really didn't pay for it, i worked it into the deal of the car.
bubbles occured in the civic tint, the guy at alta mere told me it will go away in a couple weeks, and it did, the tint settled. the maxima however, NEVER had any bubbles on it, and there are no noticeable imperfections in the tint(i dont know where the dealer took the maxima to have it tinted).
i never knew it cost so much to tint windows, if i paid $200, i might have gone back with civic to get the drivers windows tint re-replaced.

BTW, what is the tint percentage in oklahoma? and what do the percentages mean? is 25% light or dark?
Yep, Ziebart does a great job. But they charged me 199. 25% is very dark and it means that only 25% of the light shines through.