5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bought wife a 1.8T, Nissan just didn't want to sell SE-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 06:24 AM

Bought wife a 1.8T, Nissan just didn't want to sell SE-R

I originally wanted to get the SE-R with the intent to have two Nissan's in the garage, but Nissan was just trying to make a killing on these cars. Anyway, I was passing by VW and test drove a 1.8T 5speed Tiptronic Auto and I was sold!! I will also mention that it is loaded (except for leather), and I got it for $80/mo cheaper with all the same terms as they wanted for the SE-R.

It has 180hp and 174ftlbs, but we will se how long that lasts!!!
Old 04-26-2002, 07:37 AM

The Jettas are nice cars but can any one tell me why a Jetta GLX VR6 is heavier than a Maxima (3263 lbs vs 3261 lbs.)???? I look at these two cars and just can't figure out why. I was first looking at cars and wanted a smaller car with V6 power and looked at the Jetta among others. A small car - 2.8 liters of 6 cyl engine and thought that it should move pretty good but the performance just wasn't there. Once I found out that the the car is just as heavy and in some cases heavier as a lot of bigger cars I figured it out. Do the Germans build their cars out of lead?
Old 04-26-2002, 07:42 AM

Reminder, Supra weights in around 3700lb. Alot of small cars are heavy... Its weird.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Phydeaux
The Jettas are nice cars but can any one tell me why a Jetta GLX VR6 is heavier than a Maxima (3263 lbs vs 3261 lbs.)???? I look at these two cars and just can't figure out why. I was first looking at cars and wanted a smaller car with V6 power and looked at the Jetta among others. A small car - 2.8 liters of 6 cyl engine and thought that it should move pretty good but the performance just wasn't there. Once I found out that the the car is just as heavy and in some cases heavier as a lot of bigger cars I figured it out. Do the Germans build their cars out of lead?
Yeah I don't understand either, but thats why I got the little turbo for the wife. The potential for this car is very good.

"honey why does my car sound like an airplane"
Old 04-26-2002, 07:54 AM

Yea, I can see some of that weight from the rear drive hardware in the Supra.

Maybe it's a testament to Nissan that the Max isn't that heavy even though it's a fairly big car compared to other mid-sized 4 doors.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:00 AM

If you look at German all German cars, they are mcuh heavier than an average Japanese or American. I am thinking they are using heavier (more rigid) frames.

Old 04-26-2002, 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Bought wife a 1.8T, Nissan just didn't want to sell SE-R

u tried to get the spec-v?
did u consider WRX? If I want something turbo...this will be my first choice.

Originally posted by 2000 SE
I originally wanted to get the SE-R with the intent to have two Nissan's in the garage, but Nissan was just trying to make a killing on these cars. Anyway, I was passing by VW and test drove a 1.8T 5speed Tiptronic Auto and I was sold!! I will also mention that it is loaded (except for leather), and I got it for $80/mo cheaper with all the same terms as they wanted for the SE-R.

Old 04-27-2002, 07:12 AM
BuddyWh

Cast iron block?? don't know for sure, just an idea... engine will weigh more so front suspension has to be beefier and weigh more and the chassis, being a German car with their well known stiffness anyway, would have even more gusseting, lap and full seam welds, heavier guage support members, etc so it would wind up weighing more... and so on.

Buddywh

Old 04-27-2002, 07:17 AM

180's just the start. With a chip and exhaust (under $1k) you'll be over 200hp, and dust just about every SE-R you come across.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:44 AM

You are saying the 1.8T cost $80/month less than the Spec V? Interesting as I don't know how much the V cost. The SE-R isn't that much. I would have guess that the 1.8T is fairly close to the Altima SE, at least here in Canada.

I like the looks of the 1.8T. Did you mention the color? Black and Silver are both very popular, and both very nice. I prefer the silver. Then you see the Blue, with is rare around here, and the red. All those colors are nice. For some reason VW and Audi's have nice paints.

I would definitely get the APR ? upgrade if everything will still be warranty. I saw one here that has bigger wheels, looks slightly lowered (stance more like that of a A4), and exhaust and looks sweet.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think all German cars are heavy so itll be safer on the road when u get into an accident?
Old 04-27-2002, 10:56 AM

Nice choice! My girl just bought a 2002 1.8T and once I got my hands on it was time for some serious mods. I have already put in a Neuspeed Chip, P-Flow Intake, Turbo Inlet pipe, Downpipe, and Greddy on the way. This car really pulls! I have a supercharged max and messing around me and her gunned it from a stop and she actually kept up 1 and a little of 2, 3&4th I took her hard but this was before the downpipe,inletpipe which is about another 20hp. If you have questions about modding this car let me know.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:57 AM

consider this; a 5th gen maxima is larger, more interior space then a 5 series, and look at the weight differences.. around 1000lbs..
Old 04-27-2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
consider this; a 5th gen maxima is larger, more interior space then a 5 series, and look at the weight differences.. around 1000lbs..
You have also forgotten to factor in item's like driveshaft,rear differential,half shaft's etc.The max being FWD does not have these item's and they are not exactly light.

As for the Supra factor in the weight of all the above item's,two turbos,intercooler plumbing..................