5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxspeed update

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 01:02 PM

Addco RSB and Maxspeed update

Today has been the first dry day I have had a chance to test out my setup. To recap, here's what I have:

Courtesy FSTB
235/45-17 RE950s
Addco RSB - new
Maxspeed Springs - new
STOCK GXE struts/shocks

At first, I reported that ride quality had stayed the same. This only is true for nice, smooth roads.

I used to only notice bumbs more from the 15" to 17" wheel upgrade.
Now, I notice imperfect roads more. I'm refering to road w/ tar lines all over them and worse. Never noticed them before, now I do.

Also, on an imperfect very cury road at 60mph ride became VERY bouncy. Now I see the need for shocks!

Last of the bad news - I have encountered a harsh bang three times in three days when traveling over a slight bump at ~45mph. This may be bottoming out, but I sort of can't believe it. The bumps weren't that big and the rear barely even dropped after installation!! WTF!

Besides all that. The ride is more controlled. It is a stiffer, more sporty ride. There is less verticle movement on hard launches, between shifts, and when braking.

I thought the RSB would negate all body rote, but it is still there -- much less so, but I was expecting more control from the mod.

I'll check with the installation shop on the rear bang.

Sorry so long.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The banging you are getting is your ADDCO RSB hitting the cross member. Believe me, I am getting the same thing. This is because you lowered the car about 1.5"s and the ADDCO is more prone to hit the cross member. You will need to shave the bracket to clear the cross member when it comes down near it.

ADDCO problems, I know....... What you gonna do? Just shave it.

Dixit
Old 04-28-2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
The banging you are getting is your ADDCO RSB hitting the cross member. Believe me, I am getting the same thing. This is because you lowered the car about 1.5"s and the ADDCO is more prone to hit the cross member. You will need to shave the bracket to clear the cross member when it comes down near it.

ADDCO problems, I know....... What you gonna do? Just shave it.

Dixit
Damn! Good catch. Thanks for the tip... Um, what's the cross member?

check that, I just went out and looked. You are exactly right. The right bracket is a smidget too big and I can see where it made contact. I knew I couldn't be bottoming out! I might just slide the assemblies in to increase roll control. Think that'll kill two birds with one stone?
Old 04-28-2002, 02:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by noflash

Damn! Good catch. Thanks for the tip... Um, what's the cross member?

check that, I just went out and looked. You are exactly right. The right bracket is a smidget too big and I can see where it made contact. I knew I couldn't be bottoming out! I might just slide the assemblies in to increase roll control. Think that'll kill two birds with one stone?
Sliding it in will take care of the problem.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:23 PM

Sliding it in will take care of the problem, but I thought keeping the bracket closer to the outside gives better body roll control?

Maybe I am wrong, if you right, then maybe I need to slide mine in also.

Dixit
Old 04-28-2002, 03:42 PM

Sliding it in will take care of the problem, but I thought keeping the bracket closer to the outside gives better body roll control?

Maybe I am wrong, if you right, then maybe I need to slide mine in also.

Dixit
On the supplied "directions":

Step 4 states - "NOTE: THIS BAR YOU CAN ADJUST THE RATE THE BAR PUTS OUT BY SLIDING THE ASSEMBLY. TOWARDS THE END OF THE BAR DECREASES IT AND AWAY FROM THE END OF THE BAR INCREASES IT."

It's not exactly clear, but I gather if you move the bracket assemblies closer towards center it will increase the rate of tension & therefore less body roll?

Maybe this should be a new thread. "Maxspeed update" might not get the RSB expert opinions needed.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:49 PM

You right about changing it into a new thread, I just searched a rack of threads to look for pictures of actual installed Addco RSBs to see how far or how close the brackets are on the rear beam. Found nothing. Except mine.

Dixit
Old 04-28-2002, 03:55 PM

You right about changing it into a new thread, I just searched a rack of threads to look for pictures of actual installed Addco RSBs to see how far or how close the brackets are on the rear beam. Found nothing. Except mine.

Dixit
Posted new thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=115684