5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 05:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

Say bro, did you by chance notice in the June edition of Sport Compact Car in the article on the tuner Acura RSXs that one of the Progress Group rides (silver one) has Axis VPD 17 x 7" rims with 235/40/17 Toyo RA1 rubber. What gives? Does Toyo allow for this size on 7" wide rims or what? This article actually provides a fair amount of insight into lowering springs on stock shocks on this vehicle as well. Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are on tire choice there. Later!
Old 04-30-2002, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Scares the crap out of me, Stevie. I just visited the Toyo web site (http://www.toyo.com) and the rim width range for the 235/40R17 Toyo RA-1 is 8.0" to 9.5". Whoever made the decision to run those tires on 7" wide rims is simply not in their right mind.

I visited the Progress Group website (http://www.progressauto.com/). They don't appear to be a manufacturer of Toyo tires. According to the post I wrote and Kevin published in the FAQs:

". . .never accept anyone's advice on what constitutes acceptable rim widths OTHER than the manufacturer's. The word "anyone" specifically includes tire DEALERS and people on this forum. Both are notorious for providing dangerous and irresponsible advice in this area."

Apparently, Progress Group is no exception to this rule.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:35 AM
lcf

Originally posted by y2kse
Scares the crap out of me, Stevie. I just visited the Toyo web site (http://www.toyo.com) and the rim width range for the 235/40R17 Toyo RA-1 is 8.0" to 9.5". Whoever made the decision to run those tires on 7" wide rims is simply not in their right mind.

I visited the Progress Group website (http://www.progressauto.com/). They don't appear to be a manufacturer of Toyo tires. According to the post I wrote and Kevin published in the FAQs:

". . .never accept anyone's advice on what constitutes acceptable rim widths OTHER than the manufacturer's. The word "anyone" specifically includes tire DEALERS and people on this forum. Both are notorious for providing dangerous and irresponsible advice in this area."

this is an outrage! we should take this to congress and have them pass a bill or something!!!

Old 04-30-2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by lcf
this is an outrage! we should take this to congress and have them pass a bill or something!!!

There are three great lies in life. The first is, "the check is in the mail." The second is, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you." And the third is not repeatable in mixed company.

If you decide to run 235/40R17 tires on your 7" wide rims, lcf, the only thing you need to concern yourself about is whether you'll live long enough to take the issue to Congress . . .

Old 04-30-2002, 09:01 AM
lcf

There are three great lies in life. The first is, "the check is in the mail." The second is, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

i got a variation of the check in the mail from my previous landlord. after i moved out he said he would mail my security deposit to my forwarding address. lo' and behold, a month and a half later no check. i wrote the fukka a certified letter notifying him that if i did not receive my money within 10 working business days (very reasonable), then i would have my attorney contact him. i guess he thought i was bluffing (how many 23 year olds have an attorney on retainer). i gave him 2 extra weeks past the 10 working days, no avail.

i called my attorney and HE wrote a letter to the landlord and i received my check 2 weeks later.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:09 AM

Re: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever
Say bro, did you by chance notice in the June edition of Sport Compact Car in the article on the tuner Acura RSXs that one of the Progress Group rides (silver one) has Axis VPD 17 x 7" rims with 235/40/17 Toyo RA1 rubber. What gives? Does Toyo allow for this size on 7" wide rims or what? This article actually provides a fair amount of insight into lowering springs on stock shocks on this vehicle as well. Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are on tire choice there. Later!
HOLY SHEIT!!! An abomination! The nerve of those people mounting too wide of tires on narrow rims. These people should burn in hell.
EVERYONE: Boycott Sport Compact Car--they are putting other drivers' lives at risk!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:17 AM

Re: Re: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

Originally posted by maximawanabee

HOLY SHEIT!!! An abomination! The nerve of those people mounting too wide of tires on narrow rims. These people should burn in hell.
EVERYONE: Boycott Sport Compact Car--they are putting other drivers' lives at risk!
Oh I wouldn't do that, maximawanabee. I'd just learn the obvious lesson that no one, and I mean NO ONE, can be trusted to render responsible advice in this area besides the tire manufacturers themselves. But hey, I invite you to follow in Progress Group's footsteps and be the first kid on your block to prove that the manufacturers don't know what they're talking about.

Damn those pesky specifications anyway!

Never underestimate the power of denial!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:29 AM

We all know that tire companies can be trusted. I was reading on the firestone web site and they said that you can mount that tire on a 7" wheel with no problem.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Re: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

Originally posted by maximawanabee

Maximawanabee, are you really running Potenza S-02 P275/35ZR17 on stock 7" rims? Is that the 17x7 SE OEM rim? Got pics?

Old 04-30-2002, 09:37 AM

You should not a started this or y2kse will be turned loose on ya!
Get um boy!
l8tr -- SS
Old 04-30-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by maximamaybe
We all know that tire companies can be trusted. I was reading on the firestone web site and they said that you can mount that tire on a 7" wheel with no problem.
That's TERRIFIC news, maximamaybe. A 235/40R17 on a 7" wide rim. Go figure. You wouldn't mind telling me which Firestone tire you saw with those specs, would you? Or should we just take your word for it?

PS: At the risk of going out on a limb, I just checked the Firestone web site for myself. Based on the specifications I saw, I think we've heard the last of maximamaybe. But hey, maybe I could be wrong . . .
Old 04-30-2002, 09:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

Originally posted by SterlingMist00

Maximawanabee, are you really running Potenza S-02 P275/35ZR17 on stock 7" rims? Is that the 17x7 SE OEM rim? Got pics?

I wanna see 'em too!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:46 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

thats really nice...

stop flaming y2kse for not wanting you to be disfigured or die in a fiery car crash.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:53 AM

Re: thats really nice...

Originally posted by TimW
stop flaming y2kse for not wanting you to be disfigured or die in a fiery car crash.
And once again, TimW dots the I. It's clear that no one else here has anything nearly as intelligent to say as Tim does. So with that, I'm outta here! (The only possible exception is if maximamaybe can actually produce a Firestone 235/40R17 tire with the specs he claims. In fact, I'll be amazed if he can produce a Firestone tire in that size at all.)

Hi Ho Silver . . . AWAY!
Old 04-30-2002, 10:04 AM

I was just joking about the firestone thing. You know with the problems they have had on the Ford Exporers. Didn't mean to start any ****.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by maximamaybe
I was just joking about the firestone thing. You know with the problems they have had on the Ford Exporers. Didn't mean to start any ****.
Acknowledged, maximamaybe. The problem is, when you get on the side of the flamers and you come after someone who has all the facts, you're the one who ends up getting singed whether you intend to or not. The guy with the facts ALWAYS comes away unscathed. And this time it's no different than all the rest.

I understand that nobody likes a know-it-all . . . except, perhaps, the know-it-all. But this is an issue I take seriously. And just like in the Whack-a-Mole game, I stand ready with my mallet to see which Mole is going to pop its head up next.

Ciao!
Old 04-30-2002, 10:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

I wanna see 'em too!

We're still waiting for those PICS maxima "Six Feet Under" wanabee...
Old 04-30-2002, 10:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

We're still waiting for those PICS maxima "Six Feet Under" wanabee...
Sho thing...I got the pics! It's just..umm..somewhere; I can't seem to rememb...oh yeah!...not it's not there. I'll post 'em when I find them. I do have pics of BFG G Force's P255/40WR17 on a 6.0" rim. Yeah...that's the ticket. If only I could find them
Old 04-30-2002, 12:08 PM

There are three great lies in life. The first is, "the check is in the mail." The second is, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you." And the third is not repeatable in mixed company.

If you decide to run 235/40R17 tires on your 7" wide rims, lcf, the only thing you need to concern yourself about is whether you'll live long enough to take the issue to Congress . . .

I have a friend with 7.5" wide rims and he is running 235/ 45/ 17's

is this safe?
Old 04-30-2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by acMAX

I have a friend with 7.5" wide rims and he is running 235/ 45/ 17's

is this safe?
I'm running 235/45/17 on 7.5 rims. I got the package from a local tire shop.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:29 PM

The minimum acceptable rim width for 235/45R17 tires is 7.5" regardless of the manufacturer of the tires.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:52 PM

Beware! Beware! The end is nigh! Fire and Brimstone from above! Repent all ye sinners, repent!

Old 04-30-2002, 05:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

I wanna see 'em too!
y r u making such a big deal out of someone running 235/45/17 tires on a 7" rim? i am doing it and have done it since my last max..... i accually had 245/45/17 on my stock rim and my konigs..... all the tire manufacturer is doing is watching their A$$..... let the man do what he wants and drop the subject this is always on the org and it doesnt need to be...... I FEEL 100% SAFE running 235s on a 7inch rim! OH btw i drive the hell out of my car!

will
Old 04-30-2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE

y r u making such a big deal out of someone running 235/45/17 tires on a 7" rim? i am doing it and have done it since my last max..... i accually had 245/45/17 on my stock rim and my konigs..... all the tire manufacturer is doing is watching their A$$..... let the man do what he wants and drop the subject this is always on the org and it doesnt need to be...... I FEEL 100% SAFE running 235s on a 7inch rim! OH btw i drive the hell out of my car!

will
I have always said that what people do to their cars is none of my business. My sole purpose is to state the facts. That is what I intend to do, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:29 PM

will
The facts are merely being stated in order to aid fellow members in making an informative decision. The manufacturers are trying to protect their A$$ by trying to protect yours.....
You should NOT feel 100% safe riding around with your present (and past) combination....the facts state otherwise-

http://www.dunloptire.com/tiretech/?...tire_width.txt

In any event... good luck!
Old 04-30-2002, 06:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

The facts are merely being stated in order to aid fellow members in making an informative decision. The manufacturers are trying to protect their A$$ by trying to protect yours.....
You should NOT feel 100% safe riding around with your present (and past) combination....the facts state otherwise-

http://www.dunloptire.com/tiretech/?...tire_width.txt

In any event... good luck!
i am buyin new tires soon....my choice will be 235/45/17 kumhos! im not worried..... when i die bc my tire fell off the rim u can say i told u so until then u cant say nothin!

will
Old 04-30-2002, 06:45 PM

I have to admit I put 235/45/17 BFgoodrich G-force KWDS on my car last week. I am well aware of the manufacturers spec's. I noticed that the tires dont buldge, like I have seen on 4th gen owners who put 225/50/16s on. I plan on watching PSI religously. Overall these tires make me feel a lot safer driving than do the RE92's. Everytime it rained I was nervous driving.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!

i am buyin new tires soon....my choice will be 235/45/17 kumhos! im not worried..... when i die bc my tire fell off the rim u can say i told u so until then u cant say nothin!

will
Man, thats just like my uncle.. "im not dead because of ciggerettes and achohol, until I die, you can say I told you so.."
do you really think Y2kse is going to say that?
hes just watching out for the public.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:46 PM

Said it once, I will say it again

y2kse please show a single safety related post to a tire problem involving 235/45/17's on the stock 17's. The last time I asked this you half heartedly made a snappy comment to brush it off. But I have seen numerous posts of members (over 10) that have run 235/45/17's, some for over fourty thousand miles and I have yet to see a post reporting a safety issue.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:52 PM

Re: Said it once, I will say it again

Originally posted by Blackgums100
y2kse please show a single safety related post to a tire problem involving 235/45/17's on the stock 17's. The last time I asked this you half heartedly made a snappy comment to brush it off. But I have seen numerous posts of members (over 10) that have run 235/45/17's, some for over fourty thousand miles and I have yet to see a post reporting a safety issue.
I believe my half-hearted snappy comment had to do with the fact that such statistics are the province of the insurance industry. I'm afraid I don't have access to them. But I'll make you a deal. I'll stop posting if you can find just ONE manufacturer of 235/45R17 tires willing to stipulate in writing that it's OK to run that size tire on 7" wide rims. What's your snappy comment to that, Blackgums100?

And I'm afraid we're going to need a larger sample than 10 people to create statistical significance.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:03 PM

I'm waiting . . .
Old 04-30-2002, 07:10 PM

Re: Re: Said it once, I will say it again

I believe my half-hearted snappy comment had to do with the fact that such statistics are the province of the insurance industry. I'm afraid I don't have access to them. But I'll make you deal. If you can find just ONE manufacturer of 235/45R17 tires willing to stipulate in writing that it's OK to run that size tire on 7" wide rims, I'll stop posting. What's your snappy comment to that, Blackgums100?

And I'm afraid we're going to need a larger sample than 10 people to create statistical significance.

You believed wrong, here was your comment "So whadya think, folks? Should I reply to this or just let it slide on by? I'll let you make the decision.

PS: Sorry, Blackgums100. You don't get to vote."

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=2

That is a snappy BS comment. Your tire crusade is old and worn out, and many of us have grown weary of it. Your specifications are just that. On this org are many members running 235/45/17's, deal with it. It's a shame you have got stuck on the tire crusade, you use to have good info, especailly regarding exhuast threads, etc...

Old 04-30-2002, 07:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Said it once, I will say it again

You believed wrong, here was your comment "So whadya think, folks? Should I reply to this or just let it slide on by? I'll let you make the decision.

PS: Sorry, Blackgums100. You don't get to vote."

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=2

That is a snappy BS comment. Your tire crusade is old and worn out, and many of us have grown weary of it. Your specifications are just that. On this org are many members running 235/45/17's, deal with it. It's a shame you have got stuck on the tire crusade, you use to have good info, especailly regarding exhuast threads, etc...

For the last time, he never said it was 100% not safe. Hes just watching your back, my back, the orgs back, as much posts at a time as he can. Yea I'm sure he's doing this to tick people off about running 235's on 7" rims right?
Old 04-30-2002, 07:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Said it once, I will say it again

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
For the last time, he never said it was 100% not safe. Hes just watching your back, my back, the orgs back, as much posts at a time as he can. Yea I'm sure he's doing this to tick people off about running 235's on 7" rims right?

My post was actually directed at him, we all know he can defend himself. I was actually going to drop the subject until his I'm waiting post. My posts to him lately are actually just trying to lessen his hollier than thow attitude regarding tires.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:57 PM

so its a game?

Look, its NOT HIS OPINION. He got in the information from the tire mfgs and relayed it here. that is all. He is right, and I dont know what your point is. that no one has died? weak.

I'm not defending him, he can handle himself. But I dont want someone coming here and thinking its a safe choice, because none of you have died. It's out of spec. period.

Same with a supercharger, you know the risks.. over boost.. boom.. warranty void. Same with the tires.. Run what you want, know the risks.

Heck, its America.. you could probably mow down a whole gaggle of people and then blame the tire shop for mounting them.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:06 PM

My point is

we have all heard it a thousand times. You act like it's saving lives. I have never seen a post were 235/45/17's have malfunctioned on the stock 17's. It's not saving lives, his information is not like an update that smoking may cause cancer. I think everytime I see a post were anyone hits a speed higher than the posted speed limit I will start flaming about how according to blah blah blah it is dangerous and out of spec blah blah blah..
Old 04-30-2002, 08:27 PM

Can't we all just get along... y2kse has the right info and relays it to us for our safety. That said, if he relayed the same info with much less attitude there would be less argumentative replies to his correct info. Personally I think reading these threads containing the now age old argument are pretty hilarious. Lastly, thanks y2kse for adamantly pointing out the correct specs. I'm sure many have made educated purchases because of you.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: My point is

we have all heard it a thousand times. You act like it's saving lives. I have never seen a post were 235/45/17's have malfunctioned on the stock 17's. It's not saving lives, his information is not like an update that smoking may cause cancer. I think everytime I see a post were anyone hits a speed higher than the posted speed limit I will start flaming about how according to blah blah blah it is dangerous and out of spec blah blah blah..
The thing is, it's NOT recommended by tire manufactures.. and like TimW said, you run it at your own risks, even though chances of anything happening are slight.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:31 PM

still missing the point

"I have never seen a post were 235/45/17's have malfunctioned on the stock 17's"

yeah, if it didnt happen on an internet bulletin board, it cant be true.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:18 PM

I'm still waiting . . .

Quick Reply: Y2kse AKA Master of all things Rubber!