5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 12:15 PM

Vibrations

I did a search with no results, but I do remember reading about someone who bought a set of rims and experienced vibrations when going 60+mph in the steering wheel and floor. I balanced my rims twice within a two week period, and three times if you count tireracks balancing. Someone has the solution to this problem by using spacers or something. Please let me know.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:25 PM

Re: Vibrations

Originally posted by CIRCO
I did a search with no results, but I do remember reading about someone who bought a set of rims and experienced vibrations when going 60+mph in the steering wheel and floor. I balanced my rims twice within a two week period, and three times if you count tireracks balancing. Someone has the solution to this problem by using spacers or something. Please let me know.
Mine occurs at about 75mph, and slightly at 45mph. Anyone??
Old 05-02-2002, 12:29 PM

Re: Vibrations

Yup, that was me. My rear wheel weren't fitting snug b/c of the rotor caps. The center holes of the rear wheels weren't deep enough. Major vibration! Made me want to cry. I got wheel spacers for all four wheels and it solved the prob. They couldn't have been more than .25" thick, but were this enough so the rear wheels fit snug as a bug. The ride is smooth as ever now (bouncy, but smooth).
Old 05-02-2002, 12:37 PM

Re: Re: Vibrations

Originally posted by noflash

Yup, that was me. My rear wheel weren't fitting snug b/c of the rotor caps. The center holes of the rear wheels weren't deep enough. Major vibration! Made me want to cry. I got wheel spacers for all four wheels and it solved the prob. They couldn't have been more than .25" thick, but were this enough so the rear wheels fit snug as a bug. The ride is smooth as ever now (bouncy, but smooth).
Best place to get them? Or are they something that are pretty evenly priced at tire shops?
Old 05-02-2002, 12:37 PM

Re: Re: Vibrations

Originally posted by noflash

I am pretty sure all four fit snug and are hub centric. Where did you get the spacers? Where did you buy your rims?
Old 05-02-2002, 12:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Vibrations

I am pretty sure all four fit snug and are hub centric. Where did you get the spacers? Where did you buy your rims?

Best place to get them? Or are they something that are pretty evenly priced at tire shops?
I got my wheels from a garage that sold tires/wheels. They got the spacers from some auto parts shop and didn't charge me for them -- so you know they must be cheap. They are a donut-shaped plate with holes for the lug bolts. Ask your local parts store.

Gotta run, if you got more questions I'll be back tomorrow.