5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

does the traction control on the 5G really work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 08:28 AM
ascan

I'm thinking of getting the traction control option on my new 5G GLE. Just wanted to know if it really helps the car from slipping in different kinds of weather.

Old 11-28-2000, 08:38 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I cant comment on the Max in particular, but both of my parents cars have traction control. They both also have big V8 engines (Lexus GS400 and Benz S500 coupe). The traction control helps with wheelspin out of tight corners in the rain. That is the only situation where I have activated it during normal driving. Of course it will try to stop the spinning on a hard launch, but one shouldnt be trying that on low traction surfaces anyway. I guess it would be helpful if you live in an area that gets lots of rain or snow.

My two cents.
Old 11-28-2000, 09:39 AM

will let you know in a few months

I had traction control on my previous car, which was rear-wheel drive. The traction control was essential in winter, as was the ability to turn it off when necessary.

As a front-wheel drive car, I doubt whether having the traction control will make a night and day difference. My wife's Maxima has it (I wanted it , but couldn't get it in combination with the manual transmission), so I should be able to see if it helps when the heavy snow hits in January.
Old 11-28-2000, 10:04 AM
is invisible

Would love to have access to those cars...

Originally posted by mzmtg
...but both of my parents cars have traction control. They both also have big V8 engines (Lexus GS400 and Benz S500 coupe).
What do your parents think of adoption (of me)?
Old 11-28-2000, 10:27 AM

Traction control definately helps during winter or when weather/road condition is bad.

I've driven my friend's 540 when it was raining hard....during stop light take off the car's rear wheel easily slips cuz the car has so much torque and the low profile tires, and BMW's DSC will step in and correct the wheel spin. it's kinda cool to see the orange DSC light kept on blinking on the dash....

IMO it's good to have such feature to help you out of trouble sometimes.
Old 11-28-2000, 01:17 PM

I have a 5th GLE with TCS. My salesman felt tha any front wheel didn't need it. However I he did mentioned if I was ever stuck in a snow bank I should turn it off to get out. So I was thinking if I was going around a corner or just hit a patch of "black ice" with one wheel, I would want the other wheel to maintain traction, more importantly control.
Old 11-29-2000, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

TCS

Yo_its_ok is right. The TCS is handy for off-the-line starts, unless you're intent is to drag race someone on a rainy road, at which point the TCS will basically just shut down the gas until the wheels stop spinning.. Dont expect to be able to MASH the accelerator to the floor and have a nice smooth take-off. Its nothing like that at all. It does an effective job at keeping spin down when performing normal starts on slippery surfaces, as I've experienced.

-Kevin

Old 12-17-2000, 04:30 PM

TCS

I found an open parking lot with at least 4 inches of snow on it along with some spots of ice....Floored it Traction control works as advertised. Cut-off fuel, but you don't feel it like you do on a rainy day. Also, the car would not budge pass 2,000rpm's which makes me believe that it Shifted into 3rd or 4th gear. Excellent!! Hardly feel the system working in the snow. The car got going easily. Only knowledge of it working is the orange (((Slip))) light blinking each time it cuts off fuel.

Old 12-17-2000, 05:19 PM

Traction control is definately helpful for places where there're snow and heavy rain in the Winter. There was a small snow storm few days ago here in Vancouver. The traction control definately helps you to lauch when you stop at a inclined surface. It's kinda fun seeing the "slip" light blink and your car started to move while others slipping like crazy.

I think it's a must have for hilly places with snow.
Old 12-17-2000, 06:45 PM

Worth it

Definitely worth it if you ever get snow (or in my case, wet icy snow). Recently got a freak snowstorm in Vancouver and I was gunning my Maxima everywhere. Didn't lose control. I was actually trying to spin it and couldn't do it with the traction control on. Took it off and a spinning we will go. ABS is also a must. L8r.
Old 12-17-2000, 07:48 PM

I have it on my '99 Max GLE..it's helpful..however you have to turn it off if you want your car to get out off a snowbank (my driveway). It does help during cornering or hard accel in wet/snowy conditions.

Is the TCS in the '99 same as in the 2K?
Old 12-17-2000, 08:53 PM
steveyang

i just leave it on all the time, regardless of what the weather's like. is that a problem? peace