5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 11:26 AM

Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

I got to thinking about it, and I came to the conclusion that there is just NOTHING that can compete with the 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6-speed. I mean, how much more do you have to spend for a car with comparable luxury comfort and feature levels, < 6 second 0-60 acceleration, manual transmission, room for five real people, and fairly decent handling?

The cheapest thing I can think of is a BMW 540. The 3 series are too small, and the 530 isn't fast enough. Volvo s-60, Volkswagen Passat, Audi A6; Lexus IS300, Cadillac CTS, Linlon LS, Jaguar X-Type: not fast enough. Acura TL, every other Lexus, most Mercedes: no manual transmission.

Maybe it's why I bought the Maxima--what else is there for anything less than &60,000? What does everyone think? What constitutes REAL competition given the standards I listed above?
Old 05-04-2002, 12:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CL-S 6spd?

S4?
Old 05-04-2002, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
CL-S 6spd?

S4?
CL-S-----> 2door not comfortable for 5
S4------->
Old 05-04-2002, 12:24 PM

v6 altima bigger faster cost less what a concept
Old 05-04-2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
CL-S 6spd?

S4?
CL-S is only 2 doors. The Audi is smallish, and it still can't keep up with a Maxima. Check this page.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...8/page001.html
Old 05-04-2002, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by tbirdrob

CL-S is only 2 doors. The Audi is smallish, and it still can't keep up with a Maxima. Check this page.

He said S4 not A4, there is a difference.....just in case you didn't know.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:30 PM

Nevermind. That link is for A4, not an S4 (sorry). It looks like the S4 is good competition, but it's still a little on the small side.

Old 05-04-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

G35...fast enough, a bit pricey. roomy, RWD, 52 - 48 balance....
but no doubt that maxima is the decent package for the price....but for speed and handling, it still has a truck load of cars sitting in front of her (for the price range)

I got to thinking about it, and I came to the conclusion that there is just NOTHING that can compete with the 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6-speed. I mean, how much more do you have to spend for a car with comparable luxury comfort and feature levels, < 6 second 0-60 acceleration, manual transmission, room for five real people, and fairly decent handling?

The cheapest thing I can think of is a BMW 540. The 3 series are too small, and the 530 isn't fast enough. Volvo s-60, Volkswagen Passat, Audi A6; Lexus IS300, Cadillac CTS, Linlon LS, Jaguar X-Type: not fast enough. Acura TL, every other Lexus, most Mercedes: no manual transmission.

Maybe it's why I bought the Maxima--what else is there for anything less than &60,000? What does everyone think? What constitutes REAL competition given the standards I listed above?
Old 05-04-2002, 01:07 PM

it's looking like the closest competition is other Nissan products--G35, Altima.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:10 PM

going on a limb here:

'92 Supra turbo w/ sunroof

- power window, locks, brakes, steering, 8 way driver's seat
- automatic climate control
- ABS
- 232hp
- 270?tq
- 5spd
- 140mph governed topspeed
- home made cupholder (the ashtray)
- auto headlamp off
- LSD
- 3.0L, DOHC, intercooled turbo w/ stock psi at 6.5lbs.
- Can't beat boost
- 4 seater
- hatch back
- Average going cost - $7000-$8000

Aftermarket support:
- $300 gets you into the 13s. (MBC, 3" DP, air filter)
- $1500 gets you into the 13s and makes it handle
- $4000 gets you into the 12s w/o nitrous
Old 05-04-2002, 01:18 PM

What!? no butt warmer????

Originally posted by Driven EF9
going on a limb here:

- ABS
- 232hp
- 270?tq
- 5spd
- auto headlamp off
- LSD
- Can't beat boost
- 4 seater
- hatch back

Aftermarket support:
Old 05-04-2002, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by 1997 Maxima SE
v6 altima bigger faster cost less what a concept
Since when was the v6 altima bigger or faster...and hell, it doesn't cost less right now!

Get your head outa yer ****!
Old 05-04-2002, 02:06 PM

from nissan website

NISSAN ALTIMA 3.5 SE advantages over the NISSAN MAXIMA SE

MSRP $3100 less

1.5 gallon(s) larger fuel tank
0.1 inch(es) more overall width (in)
1.9 inch(es) longer wheelbase (in)
21.7 inch(es) less curb to curb turning circle (ft)
0.3 inch(es) more front headroom
0.2 inch(es) more rear headroom
0.2 inch(es) more rear leg room

that means the new maxima's going to be a BOAT......
Old 05-04-2002, 02:18 PM

I meant to add 4 doors as one of the criteria. It's a little much to say that a 2-door can comfortably hold five people when the comfort part of the equation includes getting into and out of the seat. If we count 2-doors, there are plenty of things that would outdo a Maxima in all of these categories.

That Supra is a nice machine though!

Originally posted by Driven EF9
going on a limb here:

- ABS
- 232hp
- 270?tq
- 5spd
- auto headlamp off
- LSD
- Can't beat boost
- 4 seater
- hatch back

Aftermarket support:
Old 05-04-2002, 02:52 PM

Re: Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
For less than 60,000? That has got to be the funniest thing I've ever head! Think agian cop. There are so many cars, I'm not even going to list them all (by the way, you answered your own f*cking question--540i).

Just to keep this in the realm of Nissan and the same price range, go read the reviews of the altima vs the maxima. The altima is constantly rated better and it is cheaper. If you put the extra money into some mods, it will blow the maxima away. The price of the maxima dropped like rock as the altima/maxima comparison reviews came out. Hmmmm I wonder why?
Old 05-04-2002, 03:43 PM

The interior and quality of the Altima... sucks. I was going to buy one for my girlfriend and decided not to.

I was looking at a WRX instead... or a W8.
Old 05-04-2002, 03:50 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

Originally posted by Dan4614

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
For less than 60,000? That has got to be the funniest thing I've ever head! Think agian cop. There are so many cars, I'm not even going to list them all (by the way, you answered your own f*cking question--540i).

Just to keep this in the realm of Nissan and the same price range, go read the reviews of the altima vs the maxima. The altima is constantly rated better and it is cheaper. If you put the extra money into some mods, it will blow the maxima away. The price of the maxima dropped like rock as the altima/maxima comparison reviews came out. Hmmmm I wonder why?
What? I have been reading articles lately that have been trashing the Altima for its FORD build quality basically. They said it has nice looks, but the interior will fall apart after a few thousand miles. (I am being a bit over optimistic) but still you get my point. They talk about the Maxima and its raved alwasy better than the Altima including now.

Old 05-04-2002, 04:56 PM

yah, wtf is he mumbling about the Altima and the maxima

and don't compare cars by their 0-60, 540i is a REAL car not some 30k Maxima. when comparing 540i to a maxima, the maxima isn't really a car lol. people here you got to admit that the maxima's materials are very cheap and that's what ruins it. little things can make it a lot better but then it wouldn't be so cheap as it is now.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:26 PM
swallac2

Originally posted by ewood420
from nissan website

NISSAN ALTIMA 3.5 SE advantages over the NISSAN MAXIMA SE

MSRP $3100 less

1.5 gallon(s) larger fuel tank <-Keep your foot out of it
0.1 inch(es) more overall width (in) <-I'm not a fat a$$ so I don't care
1.9 inch(es) longer wheelbase (in) <-If I want a limo, I'll buy a limo
21.7 inch(es) less curb to curb turning circle (ft) <-I know where I'm going thus no need to U-Turns
0.3 inch(es) more front headroom <- Get a hair cut, hippie
0.2 inch(es) more rear headroom <- My seat is in the front of the car
0.2 inch(es) more rear leg room <- My seat is in the front of the car

Minus power passanger seat, minus heated steering wheel, minus that extra cog in the trans, minus Limited Slip.

On the plus side the Altima has an interior that can be purchased at any local dollar store!! Once you start adding options to the Altima, and go option for option, that $3100 difference dwindles fast.

Ya those stats above are impressive alright!!

Old 05-04-2002, 09:58 PM

Re: Re: Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

Congratulations to the first guy to make this a rudeness contest instead of simply posting an opinion.

My original post acknowledged the BMW 540, but what I am asking about are cars under that price range, which is $60,000. Of course the 540 is an awesome car, but what else competes with a Maxima for less money than that?

Altima just doesn't answer it. I fully intended to buy an Altima until I sat in it and drove it. Interior appointments and features don't come anywhere near competing with Maxima.

And what's the point of the "cop" comment. How does that have anything to do with which cars compare to a Maxima?

Originally posted by Dan4614

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 05-04-2002, 10:26 PM

some people are just jerks...
yes maximas have some cheap materials to keep the cost down, but I think it still looks darn good for only $27000. Good everyday commuter car. If you want real luxury, you'd be looking at a gs430 or 540i.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:19 PM
4 Maximas and counting

Re: Re: Re: Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

4 door, manual transmission sedans under $60K currently available or will be in the near future... some I can think of:

Audi A6 2.7T ($1K in mods makes it a monster)
Acura TL-S 6spd
BMW 540i
Infiniti G35 6spd
Mazda RX-8
Saab 9-3 Viggen
Saab 9-5 Aero
VW Passat W8
Volvo S60 T5 (does it still come in stick?)

Add in the automatics and you get the likes of:
Infiniti Q45
Lexus GS400
Lincoln LS8
Mercedes Benz C32 AMG
Volvo S80 T6 (import a euro manual transmission with the $$ difference

_just_ past the cutoff is the Audi S6, and I don't know if wagons are allowed, because that let's in the Audi Allroad, another Passat and the Volvo XC

Congratulations to the first guy to make this a rudeness contest instead of simply posting an opinion.

My original post acknowledged the BMW 540, but what I am asking about are cars under that price range, which is $60,000. Of course the 540 is an awesome car, but what else competes with a Maxima for less money than that?

Altima just doesn't answer it. I fully intended to buy an Altima until I sat in it and drove it. Interior appointments and features don't come anywhere near competing with Maxima.

And what's the point of the "cop" comment. How does that have anything to do with which cars compare to a Maxima?

Old 05-05-2002, 07:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

You can get a Passat W8 with a stick?! Now that would certainly be some good competition. If they ever do make the TL-S and G-35 in shift-it-yourself mode (as advertised), then Maxima will have some catching up to do.

To the guy who said Maximas use cheap materials, I just don't see it. Of course, next to the high-end Bimmer, it may be cheap, but just to say that Maxima uses cheap materials--I disagree.

Originally posted by philpoe
4 door, manual transmission sedans under $60K currently available or will be in the near future... some I can think of:

Acura TL-S 6spd
BMW 540i
Infiniti G35 6spd
Mazda RX-8
Saab 9-3 Viggen
Saab 9-5 Aero
VW Passat W8

Infiniti Q45
Lexus GS400
Lincoln LS8
Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

_just_ past the cutoff is the Audi S6, and I don't know if wagons are allowed, because that let's in the Audi Allroad, another Passat and the Volvo XC

Old 05-05-2002, 12:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

Originally posted by philpoe

Acura TL-S 6spd
BMW 540i
Infiniti G35 6spd
Mazda RX-8
Saab 9-3 Viggen
Saab 9-5 Aero
VW Passat W8

Infiniti Q45
Lexus GS400
Lincoln LS8
Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

Yup, this is the long as$ list that I wasn't goning to bother with. I would take any one of those cars over the 2k2 maxima. tbirdrob, where did you get the number 60,000 anyway? The new 2k2 is worth 23,765 (tmv). You are comparing apples to oranges, and that's why I laughed at you. And I only used the altima as an example to explain exactly how ridiculous what you are saying is.

Don't get me wrong, the 2k2 is a sick car. BUT, you are the kind of person who would swear whatever car you drive is the best, fastest, most luxurious car ever made. If you drove a civic, you'd be on the civic boards posting this same thing. I gotta go fry up some bacon now. See ya.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:09 PM
4 Maximas and counting

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maxima vs. EVERYTHING

Perhaps I got one or 2 mixed up. I doubt that the W8 will have a stick as an option, though I imagine that the Audi 6-speed seen matched with the 2.7Ts would easily handle the power.

The TL-S is a done deal if I'm not mistaken, and the G35 is just about a done deal. They may follow the Acura footsteps and offer it in coupe form first to test the waters.

Also just past the cutoff is an Audi A8 (but stripped. Maybe a demo model)

Even if you cut the mark down to $40K, you'd only cut out mostly the big automatic cars (maybe not the S80 T6)

You can get a Passat W8 with a stick?! Now that would certainly be some good competition. If they ever do make the TL-S and G-35 in shift-it-yourself mode (as advertised), then Maxima will have some catching up to do.

To the guy who said Maximas use cheap materials, I just don't see it. Of course, next to the high-end Bimmer, it may be cheap, but just to say that Maxima uses cheap materials--I disagree.

Old 05-05-2002, 09:55 PM

How about the Saab 9-3 Viggen? A little pricey but still comparable.