5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brakes are shot....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 02:52 PM
Got Bent?

Brakes are shot....

Well, it looks like it's time to replace the stock brakes. My front rotors are shot. They had been resurfaced once under warranty at 10k miles. Now I have almost 30k miles and the rear pads are squealing. I am also getting a strange grinding noise from the front passenger side that I still haven't totally figured out. It is intermittent and happens while cruising and sometimes happens under light braking at lower speeds and when turning. I think it's coming from the brakes, but I'm not 100% sure. The front rotors look pretty bad and are warping again. I know Phuong at GR Racing sells a Stillen brake kit and I am considering that. Are there any new options available for brakes? Thanks for any input
Old 05-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Man I'm in the same boat. Also thinking about the Stillen kit that Phoung is selling. It's like $500.00 right? If I had the cash I would get these Brembo Brakes

Let me know what you wind up getting, I need options as well.
Old 05-04-2002, 04:37 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive
Man I'm in the same boat. Also thinking about the Stillen kit that Phoung is selling. It's like $500.00 right? If I had the cash I would get these Brembo Brakes

Let me know what you wind up getting, I need options as well.
mmmm.... that brembo big brake kit looks hot.... but the price..... $$$$$

The TT Z brake conversion is another option, but I would need to get new wheels for the calipers to fit, or use spacers. I think I may just go with the Stillen kit..... it is around $500 or so and I think it comes with SS brake lines.....
Old 05-04-2002, 04:39 PM

Yeah the Brembo's are sweet. Did you see the rotors?

When are you getting the Stillen kit? When you do let me know how you like them. I might follow your lead.
Old 05-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive

When are you getting the Stillen kit? When you do let me know how you like them. I might follow your lead.
I think I'll order them within this week.... I really need new brakes.....
Old 05-04-2002, 05:19 PM
Banned

Nauman where the heck have you been. Good to see you posting again.
5sp ownz jOO
Old 05-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by matt calder
Nauman where the heck have you been. Good to see you posting again.
5sp ownz jOO
I been maaad busy with things no time to mod

what happened to clubmaxima?
Old 05-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

I been maaad busy with things : no time to mod :

what happened to clubmaxima?
That is what keving told me. Sucks

I think danny or whoever was running got ****ed off or something and shut it down.

Better get to modding, Keving is going insane.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:46 AM

Re: Brakes are shot....

Well, it looks like it's time to replace the stock brakes. My front rotors are shot. They had been resurfaced once under warranty at 10k miles. Now I have almost 30k miles and the rear pads are squealing. I am also getting a strange grinding noise from the front passenger side that I still haven't totally figured out. It is intermittent and happens while cruising and sometimes happens under light braking at lower speeds and when turning. I think it's coming from the brakes, but I'm not 100% sure. The front rotors look pretty bad and are warping again. I know Phuong at GR Racing sells a Stillen brake kit and I am considering that. Are there any new options available for brakes? Thanks for any input
I am having the exact same problem with the front brakes which i just got replaced and i also go the rotors turned. I also get a loud squealing noise when I put the car in reverse. it is so embarrasing. Sounds like a mating call some animal would make.
Old 05-05-2002, 06:57 AM
Got Bent?

Re: Re: Brakes are shot....

Originally posted by Menacer
I am having the exact same problem with the front brakes which i just got replaced and i also go the rotors turned. I also get a loud squealing noise when I put the car in reverse. it is so embarrasing. Sounds like a mating call some animal would make.

hmmmm.... so I guess it is the front brakes that are causing that grinding noise. It's strange cause I can hear it while cruising without even touching th brakes hehehehe.... your rear brakes sound like mine
Old 05-05-2002, 07:02 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by matt calder

Better get to modding, Keving is going insane.

i know....

oh well..... just proves that jOO fear automagics
Old 05-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Get spacers and go with the Z TT conversion if you can. It's only about $200 more (depends on the price of the calipers).
Old 05-05-2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Get spacers and go with the Z TT conversion if you can. It's only about $200 more (depends on the price of the calipers).
Kevin, are you saying TT conversion costs roughly $700? Is that for the front end only? I'm wondering if its just as worth while to get a set of Brembo non drilled or slotted rotors and good pads with stainless lines and get improved fade, fade free (non track use), jutter free use. Having said that the other half of me would like to get the TT conversion up front and possible stock front rotors in the rear and see how much better it can be. Hmmm, just ordered some 18" rims so the future could be bright!
Old 05-05-2002, 05:50 PM

Hey, I'm getting that grinding noise also.....

It happens when I apply the brakes. It usually doesn't do it if I'm slowing down from 20 mph, but it does it alot when slowing down from higher speeds. I've already put the stillen rotors and pads on and it has actually become more noticable. I'm not sure what it is, but I'll be going to Nissan about it soon. If you find out anything before I do please let me know.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:06 PM

Oh my god!!

hmmmm.... so I guess it is the front brakes that are causing that grinding noise. It's strange cause I can hear it while cruising without even touching th brakes hehehehe.... your rear brakes sound like mine
ME TOO! Me too. Everything you are describing is exactly what I am experiencing with my car. But do you also get the same noise when you hit slight bumps on the road. I don't even apply the brakes and it makes the noise that i get when i do apply the brakes. I wonder what's going on there. oh and when i make a right turn, seems to be thhe only other when I don't apply the brakes, that it makes that grinding noise.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:27 AM
Got Bent?

Re: Oh my god!!

ME TOO! Me too. Everything you are describing is exactly what I am experiencing with my car. But do you also get the same noise when you hit slight bumps on the road. I don't even apply the brakes and it makes the noise that i get when i do apply the brakes. I wonder what's going on there. oh and when i make a right turn, seems to be thhe only other when I don't apply the brakes, that it makes that grinding noise.
I checked it carefully this morning.... it looks like something is grinding against the hub of the rotor.... I see a groove forming where the flat part of the rotor meets the hub.... I think I'll have the dealer look at it and see what they say...

Oh, and I do get that same noise when i hit bumps and ruts in the road.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:38 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
hmmm... sounds really tempting.... does the brake pedal feel change dramatically since they are 4 piston calipers running off the stock master cylinder?
Old 05-10-2002, 11:40 PM

Re: Re: Oh my god!!

I checked it carefully this morning.... it looks like something is grinding against the hub of the rotor.... I see a groove forming where the flat part of the rotor meets the hub.... I think I'll have the dealer look at it and see what they say...
Have you figured out the brake problem, or have you gone to the dealer. i checked my rear brakes and have very little left. After I try to change them I will head to the dealer if I have the time during the next two weeks. Whats your situation?
Old 05-11-2002, 10:10 AM

same #### here! grinding noise. What is the cost of brand-new OEM rotors and pads per axle? I am going to see the dealer on this, but may need to go aftermarket...looking at this issue cost/longevity, which way is the best to go? I would spend 500 bucks on front rotors if I knew they'd last for at least 3 yrs.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:05 PM

i hear many people see good results with the brembo blanks (non x-drill/slotted) and some better pads (carbotech, porterfield, etc)...

I think one thing to help prevent (won't eliminate) warped rotors is to NEVER let ANY mechanic put your rims on your car. Do it yourself and torque the rims properly with a torque wrench. I loosened my lug nuts and retorqued them the day i got my Maxima...cause i KNEW they were overtightened from the factory...

of course, my rotors warped after 18K miles...but, this was after 2 open-track events and 3 autocrosses.

I'm not sure if I can agree with the Z brake upgrade... since the Z guys think their brakes are horrific and the Maxima is only slightly lighter than the Z (300lbs)...the Z guys tend to do the 3000GT brake swap...might be a possibility?
Old 05-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Got Bent?

Re: Re: Re: Oh my god!!

Have you figured out the brake problem, or have you gone to the dealer. i checked my rear brakes and have very little left. After I try to change them I will head to the dealer if I have the time during the next two weeks. Whats your situation?
Its the rear brakes.... my pads are gone and they make all kinds of screwed up noises. I never went to the dealer.... I just got the brake kit from www.eatricezone.com .....
Old 05-14-2002, 01:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh my god!!

Its the rear brakes.... my pads are gone and they make all kinds of screwed up noises. I never went to the dealer.... I just got the brake kit from www.eatricezone.com .....
What a coinsidence, i change my rear brakes today because I checked them a few days ago and saw that I had to pad left. I can show you I have pics of the whole process. It wasn't hard to change them it just took a while because I took my time. It helps a lot if you have the tools. All the noises that where bugging me are gone but I think because I got cheap pads for the rear they need some brake quiet. Sometimes it makes some kind of whistling sound and I think because I went so long with no pads, I may have messed up something else because I get a creeking noise when I am almost at a complete stop, but maybe it's normal. But the annoying noises that it made before are gone. I would post a pic but I don't know how to attach a pic, guess I will have to upload it to a site and paste the link. Glad to hear you fixed things.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:58 AM

Luckily for my, my dealer is going to honor the TSB for the 2nd time. He is going to machine rotors and install new pads under wtty. If that is not going to help, then he'll install new rotors. Jee for the amt of noize I had to make by calling Nissan direct.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

they are not going to change the rotors? machine down the rotors and change the pads are not going to eliminate the problem. I think Nissan just want to get us to pass 36k or 3 years.

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Luckily for my, my dealer is going to honor the TSB for the 2nd time. He is going to machine rotors and install new pads under wtty. If that is not going to help, then he'll install new rotors. Jee for the amt of noize I had to make by calling Nissan direct.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:37 PM

I'm having the same problems. I have 52K miles on my max (2000) and I have had all 4 rotors replaced once already. Last time I went in for service, I told them that my brakes make a lot of noise when slowing down from high speeds (I take the highway a lot). They told me that the rotors are fine and the pads have plenty left on them. I have no clue what it is. If anyone hears anything new on this, let me know.

It's interesting, I was gonna spend some cheese and get a good set of brakes (stillen, etc) but now that I read an earlier post that says that going to better materials doesnt help, I'm holding tight. I may just go to my dealer at some point and just b*tch about it. They tell me that nothing is wrong, but this grinding just can't be right.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:54 PM

Ok here are some pics of my rear brake install. The ones uploaded to geocitites are only a few of the 20+ I took of this process. Notice the old pads compared to the new ones. I only wonder what would have happend if I had waited any longer. Advice to all of you reading this, if you are experiencing some of the "symptoms" that are described on this thread, check your rear brakes. It took me 5 hours to do this with taking pictures, cleaning the parts, going to the store for brake cleaner and taking time to figure out how to disassemble and assemble. Not to hard, pretty easy actually if you have the tool for this. http://www.geocities.com/octoman77/rearbrakes/