5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Don's VB Mod, do it yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 09:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don's VB Mod, do it yourself?

To everyone with Don's valvebody recalibration mod, did you remove and reinstall the valvebody yourself, or did you pay to have that part done?

I'm no mechanic (took 3 hours to install the Frankencar intake ), and I'm really worried about messing up the transmission on my car by trying to do this myself. I've been thinking about checking with a local repair shop to have them remove and reinstall it, but I'm not sure how much it'll cost. If you're a complete non-mechanic like me and have done this mod yourself, please let me know how it went.

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2002, 09:42 PM

I paid for install and everything.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Very sound, Mike

Yep. Tan, you're in Houston... get the man himself to do the labor
Old 05-14-2002, 10:55 PM
Jer

Re: Don's VB Mod, do it yourself?

I just wish I knew what was happening with my VB right now 3 business days.. still no replies back...

Originally posted by Tanmann9
To everyone with Don's valvebody recalibration mod, did you remove and reinstall the valvebody yourself, or did you pay to have that part done?

I'm no mechanic (took 3 hours to install the Frankencar intake ), and I'm really worried about messing up the transmission on my car by trying to do this myself. I've been thinking about checking with a local repair shop to have them remove and reinstall it, but I'm not sure how much it'll cost. If you're a complete non-mechanic like me and have done this mod yourself, please let me know how it went.

Thanks,
Old 05-15-2002, 04:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Don's VB Mod, do it yourself?

Originally posted by Jer
I just wish I knew what was happening with my VB right now 3 business days.. still no replies back...

So did you do a hot swap or is your Max our of commission for a few days?
Old 05-15-2002, 04:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Don's VB Mod, do it yourself?

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

You should feel lucky. I sent $$$$$$$$ over 40 days ago and have yet to see mine, little feedback also.
l8tr -- SS
Old 05-15-2002, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Yep. Tan, you're in Houston... get the man himself to do the labor
Hey Mike,

Yeah, I'd prefer he did the work, but that jumps the price up to around $800. For the extra money, I'd like to try it myself, if it's not too difficult. I still need to get an alarm, rsb, torque converter, etc...
Old 05-15-2002, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by mattattax
I paid for install and everything.
I'm considering doing the same, but if it's not difficult, I want to try it.

Originally posted by ssiperko
You should feel lucky. I sent $$$$$$$$ over 40 days ago and have yet to see mine, little feedback also.
So your Maxima has been garaged for 40 days? That would suck. Luckily, I live in Houston and could track him down...
Old 05-15-2002, 06:28 AM
Very sound, Mike

Tan, $800? Did Don increase his price already? I think he charged Matt and Eric $650 for the mod+install. (Which puts the install rate at a very good number).

Then of course, can't blame you for wanting to install it yourself. Btw, check out the instructions on Don's site. That should give you an idea of the de-install/install process.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:55 AM

Tan, $800? Did Don increase his price already? I think he charged Matt and Eric $650 for the mod+install. (Which puts the install rate at a very good number).

Then of course, can't blame you for wanting to install it yourself. Btw, check out the instructions on Don's site. That should give you an idea of the de-install/install process.
Mike, I was quoted $300 for the install. Plus the tranny cooler and mod, that totals around $800. I guess he's busy or maybe he gave them a group deal. I'll try to renegotiate the price

I saw the instructions on the website and they make it sound real easy, but I know it's never that easy. Especially the transmission, don't want to mess that up.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:16 AM
Very sound, Mike

Tan, if it includes the tranny cooler then the price doesn't sound so bad. Yep, they did get a group deal... i could've gotten it for the same price but i had to prepare myself for Mr. Moneybags (IRS) during tax season
Old 05-15-2002, 07:27 AM

Tan, if it includes the tranny cooler then the price doesn't sound so bad. Yep, they did get a group deal... i could've gotten it for the same price but i had to prepare myself for Mr. Moneybags (IRS) during tax season
Mike,

Right now the price is $450 for the mod, $300 for the labor. Cooler is $40. Maybe he'll throw in the installation of the cooler for $10. I'll see if I can get a better install price from Don or a local repair shop.

If you're looking to get the VB mod done soon, maybe we could get a group deal too?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:52 AM
Very sound, Mike

Nope, no mod for me in the meantime. Took a big hit this tax season (Unemployment for 1/2 yr + No tax deductions = Hole in wallet)
Old 05-15-2002, 07:53 AM

yeah, our's was $600,we had a group deal and we were the first 2k2s (guinea pigs)--neither of us got tranny coolers installed but I'm planning on it soon--Don recently had a family emergency, so that could be the reason for the hold up
good luck
Old 05-15-2002, 08:29 AM

yeah, our's was $600,we had a group deal and we were the first 2k2s (guinea pigs)--neither of us got tranny coolers installed but I'm planning on it soon--Don recently had a family emergency, so that could be the reason for the hold up
good luck
Crap, why didn't someone tell me, I would have hopped in on the group deal. Oh well, maybe I can get another GD going.

Nope, no mod for me in the meantime. Took a big hit this tax season (Unemployment for 1/2 yr + No tax deductions = Hole in wallet)
That sucks man. Hope you're working now. Need money for mods
Old 05-15-2002, 09:25 AM
Jer

Re: Re: Re: Don's VB Mod, do it yourself?

I'm hoping for a core.. I really don't know.. I haven't heard back yet: made a payment, no eta, no replies on core/no core, nothing. I'm assuming he's just "busy".

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Old 05-15-2002, 09:26 AM

Re: Don's VB Mod, do it yourself?

Originally posted by Tanmann9

Thanks,
Seriously, if it took 3 hours for the Frankencar install, I would pay someone to do it.

I changed a VB on my Mustang, and it took about 2 hours. I am not sure how many bolts you have to remove on the Maxima, but it was 26 on my car and you had to use a micro tourqe wrench to tighten them down in a special sequence. It was a messy job as you spill quite a bit of fluid removing the pan. Someone quoted me a price of $200 to do the labor. I am pretty mechanically inclined, as I changed the heads on my Mustang.

--Ray
Old 05-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Jer

Ouch. Hope everything is ok...

BTW, does Mobilitek have a phone #?

good luck
Old 05-15-2002, 11:29 AM

Re: Re: Don's VB Mod, do it yourself?

Originally posted by raynist

Seriously, if it took 3 hours for the Frankencar install, I would pay someone to do it.

--Ray
My thoughts exactly

I think there's only 13 bolts on the Maxima vb, but that's still quite a few. I'm going to check with some local repair shops to see if they'll do it. I gotta contact Don about it too.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Don's VB Mod, do it yourself?

Originally posted by ssiperko

l8tr -- SS
You should feel lucky! I sent lots of $$$ over 10 weeks ago, and have yet to see mine. (Granted, he started from scratch, as he is getting a 5th gen. VB swap up and running with my stuff; but that is a long time to wait.)
Old 05-15-2002, 01:02 PM

good luck
Sad to hear about Don's family emergency, but good to know that he's just busy. Luckily I haven't sent any VB or $$$ and not waiting for anything. I guess I'll just have to sit tight until I hear from Don. Thanks!