5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stupid friends result in a new car... Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 04:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stupid friends result in a new car... Need advice

Hey, this is my first post. First off I turned 16 March 9 and got a 98 v6 Accord Coupe silver, it was really nice for a first car. I paid 25000 dollars of it, so it wasn't a complete gift I have a very generous grandmother and parents. She is trying to dump all her money off right now, already wants me to look at wedding presents, don't ask. I was driving one of my friends home b/c he had too much to drink so I took him to another friends house instead at his request. I got there and the friend said I should just spend the night, so I did. Well I went to sleep and in the middle of the night they took my keys, remember they are drunk as hell and went joyriding STUPID STUPID. Well one of them drove up to a store and then the one who I had been the DD for drove it back. When they got to the guys house who we were staying at they decided to take my AV6 offroad and do some high speed circles the lil lake in front of his house (large piece of property). Well I don't know what happened but they crashed my car into the lake and his older sister and parents heard them and swam to get them out of the water. They didn't wake me up until 9 the next morning, happened around 1:30 b/c they wanted to get the car out of the water so I wouldn't see how deep it had gone. Never filed a police report and never called my parents. Tried to tell me that only the front right part of the fender had gone into the water but my whole interior was soaked and my trunk was filled with water so that didn't last very long. Well my car is totaled, bent frame and salt water corrosion. Well, they got to pay me and my parents all of our money back or else we sue them. We got attorneys .

Well, I think I am going to get it a 2000 Maxima GXE Black with 5 speed. We found one with only 11,000 miles for only 16,000 and we can get them lower than that, so it's a pretty good deal. Never been in an accident or anything, had an inspector check it out for us. Good deal, right? You all know the best.

The only thing I want to know are the 2000 seats are they any different then the ones found in the 2002 SE's rather than the cloth? How much can I get a pair of 2000-2001 SE Tailights for? How much for the wheel and tires off a 2002 SE 17' ones? What is the best Y-pipe (Yes, I know they are illegal)? And if you had around 1500 to 2000 dollars to spend on mods what would you do? All depends on if they want to settle or for us to throw their asses a lawsuit. The guy whose house we stayed at had turned 18 to days before and was having a party there earlier that night, so he was no longer a minor and hes the one that took my keys and car so thats GTA, and his parents were legally supposed to file the police report since they were the supervising adult or something.

Thanks for all your help, and sorry it was so long had to vent. Thanks again. Hopefully I will be getting the black max next weekend.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

file a police report before its too late....& get a '02 maxima~~ they are fast as hell stock
Old 05-04-2002, 05:24 PM

Thinking about it

Florida state law gives us up to a year to file a police report. Remember these people WERE my friends and we don't want to ruin their lives over this. Both would get Grand Theft, his parents tampering with evidence, and all sorts of open house party laws. Luckily one is a wealthy chiropractor, so we basically said if you settle and give us all our money back we will not press charges. I just want my money and if I got a 2002 max my older sister and brother would kill someone. Brother got a pos 3 year old sentra for his first car that had been in an accident, went to U of Florida and to drive home to Pensacola he would have to carry a gallon of water with him for his engine. But then he got nice brand new loaded integra gsr so he made out fine. But my sis got a brand new chevy beretta don't know what my parents were thinking on that one, and she wants a new car so she is not really happy with me getting nice cars.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:30 PM

Wow, sounds like you learned 20 years worth of lessons in one night. I do not mean that in a negative way as the father of a 23 year old.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:40 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Gee, teenagers taking out cars for a joyride? As payback I would smear dog poop in their faces.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:46 PM

are you still friends with these idiots?
Old 05-04-2002, 08:28 PM

First of all: people do such things to do ain't your friend.
Second of all: If it's a "WEALTHY" chiropractor; why not take advantage and sue the hell out of him. With the evidence you have you can end up with enough money to buy more than one max.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:00 PM

NO I am not friends with these two idiots anymore. It sucked though to be helping out a friend being the DD and then have him go and do this to you. They would laugh in my face if my family tried to sue them for more money than the cars worth. My family is doing pretty good, so the money isn't as much of a concern as we just want all the money we had put into the car back.

Anyone konw any of the answers to my questions?
Old 05-04-2002, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by 00MAXIST
NO I am not friends with these two idiots anymore. It sucked though to be helping out a friend being the DD and then have him go and do this to you. They would laugh in my face if my family tried to sue them for more money than the cars worth. My family is doing pretty good, so the money isn't as much of a concern as we just want all the money we had put into the car back.

Anyone konw any of the answers to my questions?
2000 cloth and leather seats are different from 2002 cloth and leather. nissan changed the seats for 2002 (i dont know why though)
i think the 2k-2k1 se tail lights were a bit over a $100 for the pair, maybe they dropped in price cause the 2k2 has some "wanted" clear like tails.
i dont know have a y-pipe(i actually dont even have a maxima (check my sig)) but stillen, cattman, and warpspeed(?) make y-pipes for the maxima. i think that the stillen one is probably best, but most expensive, but i would wait until someone who actually owns this product replies.
upto $2000, you would probably want a front strut tower brace, intake, shocks and struts(or whatever, i dont have mods, so i dont know, just trying to give you a reply).
depending on where you get the se 17"s, i think they are cheap at www.aaarims.com, but i dont know anything about that website, and i dont know if the rims on the site or real or replicas. you might just want to try some aftermarket rims, probably some light 17's or 18's, search the forum, you will find tons of "look at my new rim" threads, lots of pics on this site, check the members websites from the main page(click on links).
hope this helps, and hope you get the maxima.

BTW, your friends sound dumb, and you seem to be the total opposite of them, get rid of them and move on.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:27 AM

sue em, get more than 25k back, and get yourself a nice brand spankin' new 350Z, you will feel better about your decision the first day u take it out for a spin
Old 05-05-2002, 12:41 AM

i duno... some times things happen for the better... just get what was lost out of them... and be as nice as possible as u can.. i'm sure they'll more than love you for your generosity and great personality.. they'll see u in a totally different way as a person. true it is messed up that they took your car out and did this and that to it, but that happened. use them as a stepping stone. great stories about you will be told by them to others. you'll be a legendary saint.. maybe they'll return the favor ten folds back to u in the future.. prolly not in the same form but good things happen
Old 05-05-2002, 01:22 AM

If you sue them legally and you end up getting a new car, think about the consequences that might come up with your idiot friends. They'll probably cause more headaches in the future with your new ride. I think it's better for you to settle this w/ their family. BTW, it's worth getting the '02 Maxima because it has more power and standard equipment.
Old 05-05-2002, 04:31 AM

Re: Stupid friends result in a new car... Need advice

Hey, this is my first post. First off I turned 16 March 9 and got a 98 v6 Accord Coupe silver, it was really nice for a first car. I paid 25000 dollars of it, so it wasn't a complete gift I have a very generous grandmother and parents. She is trying to dump all her money off right now, already wants me to look at wedding presents, don't ask.
Is it just me or is 25k alot to be only part of the cost of a 98 Accord? Did you mean $2500? What was the total cost of the Accord? I am guessing $2500 + "What Grandma Paid".
Old 05-05-2002, 08:34 AM

Oh my bad didn't notice that we paid 14,900 for the car, I paid a lil over 2,500 dollars for it and then parents and gmom paid for the rest. I don't think we can get into the over 16,500 range for the car.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:49 AM

All this talk of suing is just crap. Settle with them and get on with your life. It's because of the stupid 'sue everyone and their mother' mentality in the US that has my company's new owner (Hanson out of Dallas) coming up with some of the most ridiculous safety rules I've ever heard of. Try this one: wear your hard hat and safety glasses in your car if you drive onto the property. Being 5'10" with a black leather/white headliner in my 2k2 Max, I'm not too impressed with this one.

Come to a reasonable settlement and everything should be fine. I agree with Sillepimp, things could get worse.

Albert
Old 05-05-2002, 09:20 AM
BuddyWh

Re: Stupid friends result in a new car... Need advice

Thanks for all your help, and sorry it was so long had to vent. Thanks again. Hopefully I will be getting the black max next weekend.
You, as owner, file a report for stolen vehicle (actually, I think it is something like operating without permission), then file on your insurance. Tell them whole sordid story... they will take appropriate action against their (your "friends") insurance if they can.

Decide later if you want to press on with the complaint, but your insurance will want a police report!

Then get new friends.

BuddyWh

Old 05-05-2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by akrus
All this talk of suing is just crap. Settle with them and get on with your life. It's because of the stupid 'sue everyone and their mother' mentality in the US that has my company's new owner (Hanson out of Dallas) coming up with some of the most ridiculous safety rules I've ever heard of. Try this one: wear your hard hat and safety glasses in your car if you drive onto the property. Being 5'10" with a black leather/white headliner in my 2k2 Max, I'm not too impressed with this one.

Come to a reasonable settlement and everything should be fine. I agree with Sillepimp, things could get worse.

Albert
i'm with akrus on this one, if they are going to settle this outside of court, then just settle it, and get another car. the only reason i see to sue them is if they dont want to give you what you paid, if thats the case, threaten to sue to see if that helps, otherwise drag them to court. but if they are going to settle, dont waste your time, take the money, buy a car, and get some new friends.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:46 PM

I never said that we were going to sue. We just want our money back, not trying to make a profit off of them. We think we are settling. But we got two lawyers, ones a family friend who has been in Time magazine and has a law school named after him at U of Florida making some calls for us cause hes got the big name and can scare the money out of them. We will get our money back, trust me on this we are calling the Nissan guy back tommorow to make some more bids on the car.

Thanks for all your help...
Old 05-05-2002, 01:03 PM

I don't know much about legal stuff, but why not deal directly with your insurance company. You get a fair price from them for your car, then the insurace company goes after the culprits. That way you will not be in the middle of everything.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:22 PM
BuddyWh

Originally posted by unrealii
I don't know much about legal stuff, but why not deal directly with your insurance company. You get a fair price from them for your car, then the insurace company goes after the culprits. That way you will not be in the middle of everything.

Good luck.
That's the way to do it... but his insurance will need a police report. Think of it...next time you want a new car, just drop yours in the nearest lake and tell your insurance your "friends" did it. Can you say... insurance fraud?

BuddyWh