5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Auto w/ 4 passengers VS BMW 530i w/ 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 12:30 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

2K2 Auto w/ 4 passengers VS BMW 530i w/ 2

I was headed back from watching Spiderman... close to midnight, I had 4 people in my car, myself included when a 530i, a newer one pulls next to me and starts to accelerate and lets off...he did this about 4 times till I just said to the fellow passengers.." HOLD ON ".... WOT !!!! We went from about 65 MPH all the way up to 125 MPH... Thanks Maxspeeds and FSTB, and Frankencar !... He got walked by a car and a half ! ..... He did his fly by as I shut it down at 125.. He turned his dome lights on and gave me a thumbs up....Needless to say he was surprised. One of the passengers asked me if the roar in the motor was from a " TURBO"... I said.. NO, just good OLE FRANKEN ! ...
Old 05-05-2002, 12:39 AM

wow, spiderman and a bimmer kill?
good night, eh?
Old 05-05-2002, 12:58 AM

damn , I WANT A 2K2!!!!

those are just fuc*king beasts. i can't believe they can beat almost any normal car on the road, its just so fun i bet knowing your car can do like 6.2 0-60 and has tons of toque under the hood stock.

anyways, enjoy your car man, if i got a 2k2, i will get one just like yours

you guys think i can beat those 530i's with my auto 2k1?
they do 0-60 like 7 flat
Old 05-05-2002, 01:01 AM

Re: 2K2 Auto w/ 4 passengers VS BMW 530i w/ 2

Originally posted by kloogy
I was headed back from watching Spiderman... close to midnight, I had 4 people in my car, myself included when a 530i, a newer one pulls next to me and starts to accelerate and lets off...he did this about 4 times till I just said to the fellow passengers.." HOLD ON ".... WOT !!!! We went from about 65 MPH all the way up to 125 MPH... Thanks Maxspeeds and FSTB, and Frankencar !... He got walked by a car and a half ! ..... He did his fly by as I shut it down at 125.. He turned his dome lights on and gave me a thumbs up....Needless to say he was surprised. One of the passengers asked me if the roar in the motor was from a " TURBO"... I said.. NO, just good OLE FRANKEN ! ...
Definitely a good night
Old 05-05-2002, 05:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 2001SE
they do 0-60 like 7 flat

no
Old 05-05-2002, 06:56 AM

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAA. I knew that we could take a 5 series (cept a M)! I thought I was gonna get a chance Fri nite on my way home from work but the guy had either no nuts or didn't know that the throttle pedal would go all the way to the floor. My son thinks the sound @ wot means we're doing 50mph (in 1st), he gets freaked out when it "hits".
l8tr -- SS
Old 05-05-2002, 07:32 AM

Re: Re: 2K2 Auto w/ 4 passengers VS BMW 530i w/ 2

Originally posted by ssiperko

My son thinks the sound @ wot means we're doing 50mph (in 1st), he gets freaked out when it "hits".
l8tr -- SS
huh
Old 05-05-2002, 08:20 AM
Maxtor

On a roll from 65-125 and only beat him by a car and half??? Is everything ok with your car? You should have beat him by a lot more than that! I realize 2k2 Autos don't trap that high so maybe that is what it is? 4 people in your car or not on a roll at those speeds it doesn't make that much of a difference. A 330 would beat you easily under the same circumstances. A 540 would have destroyed you!

Old 05-05-2002, 08:44 AM

a 330 wouldn't have beat him easily, especially not an auto--I've raced my cousin's 330 (manual) to 115 many times and take him by several car lengths--a 540 is a different story

I just read "under the same circumstances" so from 65-125 you could be right
Old 05-05-2002, 09:03 AM

damn , I WANT A 2K2!!!!

those are just fuc*king beasts. i can't believe they can beat almost any normal car on the road, its just so fun i bet knowing your car can do like 6.2 0-60 and has tons of toque under the hood stock.

anyways, enjoy your car man, if i got a 2k2, i will get one just like yours

they do 0-60 like 7 flat
Probably not with a 01 auto, sorry man... Now get some mods and maybe...
Old 05-05-2002, 09:03 AM
Maxtor

Originally posted by mattattax
a 330 wouldn't have beat him easily, especially not an auto--I've raced my cousin's 330 (manual) to 115 many times and take him by several car lengths--a 540 is a different story

I just read "under the same circumstances" so from 65-125 you could be right
On a roll at those speeds a 330 auto or 5spd would beat his modded 2k2 auto with out a doubt!

Old 05-05-2002, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Maxtor

On a roll at those speeds a 330 auto or 5spd would beat his modded 2k2 auto with out a doubt!
I am sorry, are you on crack? How can you say that? A 2002 Max SE with springs exhaust and intake on a roll is exactly where you would want it to be... A 330 weighs 100+ lbs. more and has about 30 less horsepower... RWD or not, it is toast from a roll, and probably from a standstill too. Especially if he shifts 1-2-3 himself instead of letting the tranny do it...
Old 05-05-2002, 09:16 AM

NISSAN MAXIMA SE (AUTO) advantages over the BMW SERIES 3 330I
MSRP $8541 less 12 months longer powertrain warranty 0.5 liter
larger engine V-configuration engine 30 more horsepower 32 more
torque (ft lb) 20mm wider tires V-speed rated tires Trunk/hatch
spoiler Lock-up (auto only) transmission Electronic control (auto only)
transmission 3-point center rear seat belts Automatic operation rear
view mirror Lumbar adjustment driver front seat Audio system
includes single CD Remote fuel filler door release Automatic drive
indicator on dashboard Power steering Rear seat cup holders Pearl
paint standard Metallic paint standard Body color bumpers Body
color door mirrors 1.9 gallon(s) larger fuel tank 15.5 inch(es) more
overall length (in) 1.8 inch(es) more overall width (in) 1 inch(es)
longer wheelbase (in) 2.1 inch(es) more front headroom 2.5 inch(es)
more front leg room 1.6 inch(es) more rear leg room 2.5 inch(es)
more front shoulder room 2 inch(es) more rear shoulder room 57 lbs
less curb weight (lbs)

Thanks for playing, come again...
Old 05-05-2002, 09:23 AM
Maxtor

Originally posted by Matthew

I am sorry, are you on crack? How can you say that? A 2002 Max SE with springs exhaust and intake on a roll is exactly where you would want it to be... A 330 weighs 100+ lbs. more and has about 30 less horsepower... RWD or not, it is toast from a roll, and probably from a standstill too. Especially if he shifts 1-2-3 himself instead of letting the tranny do it...
First off he is an auto not a 6spd! Secondly springs don't do jack for speed as well as his muffler (makes more noise and that is about it!). The intake would help as well but isn't going to make a world of difference especially on an auto! Your crazy if you think a 2k2 auto will beat a 330 on a roll! You guys keep thinking that and when you finally race one for real you will then understand. He needs more mods to beat one for sure!

Old 05-05-2002, 09:32 AM

First off he is an auto not a 6spd! Secondly springs don't do jack for speed as well as his muffler (makes more noise and that is about it!). The intake would help as well but isn't going to make a world of difference especially on an auto! Your crazy if you think a 2k2 auto will beat a 330 on a roll! You guys keep thinking that and when you finally race one for real you will then understand. He needs more mods to beat one for sure!

...Lets go through some basic math here. Did you see my advantages post? The 330 has 30 less hp and 32 less torque. It weighs 60 lbs. more. And it is simply not going to take a Max 02 from a roll. Sorry. I work at an architecture firm and one of my best friends there is an absolute BMW fanatic. He owns a 325cI with 17" sport package and whenever he goes in for routine maintenance his BMW dealer gives him a black 330I for the day. I have driven it, and I OWN a 02 SE auto. SORRY. The max is faster. Look it up.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:42 AM

From BMW USA's own website:

Top speed1

mph

Acceleration 0-60 mph2

sec

6.4 (7.0)
...The parentheses is obviously the Tiptronic, and I am sure that the 02 auto with intake can run a neck-and-neck 6.4 from 0-60... Check out the top speed. From a roll? With the Max's high end power (255 @ 5500rpms and 246 @ 4400rpms...) Bye-Bye Bimmer...
Old 05-05-2002, 09:49 AM
Maxtor

...Lets go through some basic math here. Did you see my advantages post? The 330 has 30 less hp and 32 less torque. It weighs 60 lbs. more. And it is simply not going to take a Max 02 from a roll. Sorry. I work at an architecture firm and one of my best friends there is an absolute BMW fanatic. He owns a 325cI with 17" sport package and whenever he goes in for routine maintenance his BMW dealer gives him a black 330I for the day. I have driven it, and I OWN a 02 SE auto. SORRY. The max is faster. Look it up.
Sorry guy but a 330 is faster than a 2k2 auto max! Your little math quiz is great and all but the bottomline is that the bimmers lose a lot less power through their trannies, geared better, and the rwd will smoke you off the line every single time! Get yourself a video camera and race a 330 at various speeds then talk! Until you have actually raced one your just another magazine racer/dreamer! Or get yourself a 6spd Max or start modding the hell out of your auto.

Old 05-05-2002, 09:56 AM

Sorry guy but a 330 is faster than a 2k2 auto max! Your little math quiz is great and all but the bottomline is that the bimmers lose a lot less power through their trannies, geared better, and the rwd will smoke you off the line every single time! Get yourself a video camera and race a 330 at various speeds then talk! Until you have actually raced one your just another magazine racer/dreamer! Or get yourself a 6spd Max or start modding the hell out of your auto.

0-60 they are tie (auto max and a 5sp 330i)
from a roll, weight doesn't really matter, its the torque and hp, and the maxima has a lot more then the 330i, so wtf is your problem to understand that from a roll the 330i will see maxima tails. look at the numbers...they all make sense,

also about gearing, the 3rd gear on the auto maximas is incredible , its geared so good for highways that it could beat those 330 with no problem at all.

the new 2k2 auto tranny doesn't loose a LOT power through the tranny then the crappy 2k/2k1 trannys.

also, there isn't much difference between the 6sp and the auto 2k2, there is but still both are monsters, just for you to know

how much does a 2k2 6sp does 0-60 and how much does an auto does 0-60?
Old 05-05-2002, 09:59 AM

Honestly a 530i isnt that big of a deal. They are like high 15s cars and are much heavier than a 330i. A 330i Manual will be a great match for a 2k2 Auto. That is until a turn comes up
Old 05-05-2002, 10:01 AM

0-60 they are tie (auto max and a 5sp 330i)
from a roll, weight doesn't really matter, its the torque and hp, and the maxima has a lot more then the 330i, so wtf is your problem to understand that from a roll the 330i will see maxima tails. look at the numbers...they all make sense,

also about gearing, the 3rd gear on the auto maximas is incredible , its geared so good for highways that it could beat those 330 with no problem at all.

the new 2k2 auto tranny doesn't loose a LOT power through the tranny then the crappy 2k/2k1 trannys.

also, there isn't much difference between the 6sp and the auto 2k2, there is but still both are monsters, just for you to know

how much does a 2k2 6sp does 0-60 and how much does an auto does 0-60?
...Thank you. I am just not getting through to this guy. Just look at the ACTUAL numbers I have posted.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:06 AM
† ErV †

hmm

Is it only me but aren't the Max and 3 series different class cars?

The 3 is more like a compact sedan while the max is a full fledged powerhouse. You really should be compairing them with the 5 series but i guess that's way out there.

note to nissan: for '03 we want a 5 series contender just stack the hp to 325 and it's all set

While the rwd on the 'trois' will give more sports like handling and feel, that engine lacks torque. The hp/weight ratio is ok but the torque... :x tata beamer.

On the other hand.. if it's tight city racing i give the 3 series the kill. It's more nimble for the conditions.

that's just my piece of though

Old 05-05-2002, 10:06 AM

Make up your mind buddy, and don't get mad and insulting just because you are wrong... You said from a roll the Max is the loser, now in this post you say 'rwd will smoke you from the line'... Are you actually READING my posts? I just said a 02 Max SE auto and 330I 5-speed are neck and neck 0-60. That is an auto vs. 5-speed. But from a roll, (that was your original argument) rwd don't mean a DAMN thing. That heavier and less powerful BMW 330 is gonna see tailights. Wake up, and read my posts instead of flaming and back-peddaling to change your statement.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:13 AM

Re: hmm

Originally posted by EvilRoadsVictim
Is it only me but aren't the Max and 3 series different class cars?

The 3 is more like a compact sedan while the max is a full fledged powerhouse. You really should be compairing them with the 5 series but i guess that's way out there.

note to nissan: for '03 we want a 5 series contender just stack the hp to 325 and it's all set

While the rwd on the 'trois' will give more sports like handling and feel, that engine lacks torque. The hp/weight ratio is ok but the torque... :x tata beamer.

On the other hand.. if it's tight city racing i give the 3 series the kill. It's more nimble for the conditions.

that's just my piece of though
...Actually, you are right, they are different class of cars. This thread started out as Kloogy telling a story about how he smoked a 530I and this other guy jumped in talking about the 330 would smoke an 02 auto, I didn't start the discussion, I merely replied with the facts. But the 5 series is the size and class comparison with Max... 530 loses, 540 will rule the max I admit it, of course it also costs about 15-20 grand more... Go figure...
Old 05-05-2002, 10:15 AM

Make up your mind buddy, and don't get mad and insulting just because you are wrong... You said from a roll the Max is the loser, now in this post you say 'rwd will smoke you from the line'... Are you actually READING my posts? I just said a 02 Max SE auto and 330I 5-speed are neck and neck 0-60. That is an auto vs. 5-speed. But from a roll, (that was your original argument) rwd don't mean a DAMN thing. That heavier and less powerful BMW 330 is gonna see tailights. Wake up, and read my posts instead of flaming and back-peddaling to change your statement.
A 330i Manual actually weighs 20 lbs more than a 2k2 Maxima. I recently saw a dyno of a 330i on e46fanatics.com AND it was putting equal or more HP than the dynos i have seen of stock 2k2 autos. Keep in mind that this is a STOCK 330i. Honestly, a well driven 330i will give a 2k2 Maxima a awesome race and imo will pull very slightly from a roll.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:32 AM

...All argument aside, I didn't really come in here to get into it, I find it pretty remarkable that it nows seems all of a sudden that a Maxima on the road is generating enough interest from BMW etc. drivers that they actually pull something like this to get a race going... Regardless of winner or loser, the fact that the new Max is getting a 'reputation' of sorts is only a good thing for Nissan and the car that we all love. This four-door 'family car' is changing some people's stereotypes about what is sporty and what is power... Just because you have two fewer doors than me and a big 'ol wing doesn't mean you have a sports car and I don't, and it doesn't mean I can't roast you like a turkey if I am feeling a little 'energetic' at that moment... I love that about Max, that it can give someone more than they were bargaining for...
Old 05-05-2002, 10:55 AM

From BMW USA's own website: Top Speed 128

The 3-series is actually limited to 128, but is capable of much more...

525i and 530i: 128 mph

540i: 155 mph

All 7 series: 155 mph

All M's are limited to 155 as well...

Straight from the dealership...
Old 05-05-2002, 10:57 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

To Mr 330CI, let me solve the question for you, I have raced at least 4 of them from a stop, and none of them have been able to touch me. You say I " ONLY " beat him by a car and a half, but remember I let off the throttle at 120+125 mph, I had 4 people in the car, and didnt want t freak them out more than they already were. 65 TO 125 in a 2K2 maxx goes by REAL FAST ! You can take your 330 and your 530 and put them back in the garage, and dont bother showing up to race ! I'll save the $12,000 more my coworker paid for her 330Ci, and go on vacation, get an SC , and still have money left over, and they will still lose ! I love the way some of you always find a way to Put Down somebody else's testimonial, If I LIE and say " I walked him by 4 cars "..you will say : NO WAY ! If I tell the truth and say I had him by a car or a little more " Something's wrong with your car ".......Make up your mind !
Old 05-05-2002, 12:05 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Originally posted by Scormunch240

The 3-series is actually limited to 128, but is capable of much more...

525i and 530i: 128 mph

540i: 155 mph

All 7 series: 155 mph

All M's are limited to 155 as well...

Straight from the dealership...
I have to argue about the 7 series. I ran one on the freeway from 60~65 all the way till he topped out at 128, at that point i cought up and proceeded to pass him with his mouth dropped open. he pulled about 2 cars on me till he topped out. after that i played with him, kept speeding up and slowing down, just to make my point. i passed his azz up and left him at 135. BTW I have a 2k1AE AUTOMAGIC BABY!
Old 05-05-2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Rob'sAE

I have to argue about the 7 series. I ran one on the freeway from 60~65 all the way till he topped out at 128, at that point i cought up and proceeded to pass him with his mouth dropped open. he pulled about 2 cars on me till he topped out. after that i played with him, kept speeding up and slowing down, just to make my point. i passed his azz up and left him at 135. BTW I have a 2k1AE AUTOMAGIC BABY!
7 series are limited at 128, unless it is a sport package.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:44 PM

why would you race a 7 series on the highway

they got tons amount of torque and would dust you on the highway
also if you have an auto, you can forget about htat, their gearing is tons of times more better then that crappy 2k/2k1 tranny(i fuc*king HATE it)
Old 05-05-2002, 01:29 PM

I love the fact that Maxtor is always the skeptic and he usually has good thoughts on things but...

if he thinks a 330 manual or auto will take a 2k2 auto max he is ill-informed--maxtor: if you would like to come to Houston or Austin I will gladly allow you to experience a race between these two cars and maybe even drive so you can't have the excuse "he doesn't know how to drive" that gets dished out everytime one loses to an auto--my cousin is selling his 330 soon but we have raced several times and he has lost most of them--I'll be the first to admit that the numbers don't mean a whole lot b/c his car is faster than the hp and tq. would have you believe--so those quoting numbers might wanna take that into consideration before judging the 330

I would take him by about 4 cars to 100mph when he first got it and was getting used to shifting and all--a few weeks ago we raced to 100 from a stop and a roll and 4 out of 5 times I would take him by at least a car--

it seems like you're always looking for someone to exagerate the power and speed of the max so you can stomp in and say that it happens all the time, and I agree, it does happen SOMETIMES, but this thread is not one of those times--I'm not trying to convince you of anything so hold on to your opinion of the matter if it suits you; but let it be known that that opinion will embarass you (or enlighten you) in good time

sometimes your right sometimes not, this happens to be a not
Old 05-05-2002, 04:41 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Thanks Matt.. If I had beat a 330, I wouldnt even've posted it !
Old 05-05-2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by mattattax
I love the fact that Maxtor is always the skeptic and he usually has good thoughts on things but...

if he thinks a 330 manual or auto will take a 2k2 auto max he is ill-informed--maxtor: if you would like to come to Houston or Austin I will gladly allow you to experience a race between these two cars and maybe even drive so you can't have the excuse "he doesn't know how to drive" that gets dished out everytime one loses to an auto--my cousin is selling his 330 soon but we have raced several times and he has lost most of them--I'll be the first to admit that the numbers don't mean a whole lot b/c his car is faster than the hp and tq. would have you believe--so those quoting numbers might wanna take that into consideration before judging the 330

I would take him by about 4 cars to 100mph when he first got it and was getting used to shifting and all--a few weeks ago we raced to 100 from a stop and a roll and 4 out of 5 times I would take him by at least a car--

it seems like you're always looking for someone to exagerate the power and speed of the max so you can stomp in and say that it happens all the time, and I agree, it does happen SOMETIMES, but this thread is not one of those times--I'm not trying to convince you of anything so hold on to your opinion of the matter if it suits you; but let it be known that that opinion will embarass you (or enlighten you) in good time

sometimes your right sometimes not, this happens to be a not

Your Comparing apples to oranges. Your car is modded vs your cousins stock 330i. Put a Dinan Intake and Chip in the 330 and the outcome will be different.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:02 PM

Max2000JP has a really good point here, right kloogy?

that intake makes a hugh difference, 10hp and 14tq to wheels
Old 05-05-2002, 05:03 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Your Comparing apples to oranges. Your car is modded vs your cousins stock 330i. Put a Dinan Intake and Chip in the 330 and the outcome will be different.
Not in MY case.. I really dont have any TRUE mods, Intake, maybe but mufflers are useless for HP gains... I have eaten at least 4 of those up...from a light, never raced one from a roll..Getting into the " IF " scenario, we could go on forever..
Old 05-05-2002, 05:23 PM

Not in MY case.. I really dont have any TRUE mods, Intake, maybe but mufflers are useless for HP gains... I have eaten at least 4 of those up...from a light, never raced one from a roll..Getting into the " IF " scenario, we could go on forever..
Your intake and exhaust adds roughly 13 crank hp. Thats a pretty decent gain right there for the money. Im just saying, if the 330i was modded with intake and exhaust, the outcome would be different.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:25 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Max.. I raced a 330 when my car was only about a week old.. I barely had it when I went for it. It was no contest... Look at the specs for that car !
Old 05-05-2002, 05:27 PM
† ErV †

simple

I would personally race anybody with enough snobism in them to spend 72+ grand on a car that is limited to 128mph. It's so ironic... Now the 'uncapped' 7 series should be a whole other story.

why would you race a 7 series on the highway

they got tons amount of torque and would dust you on the highway
also if you have an auto, you can forget about htat, their gearing is tons of times more better then that crappy 2k/2k1 tranny(i fuc*king HATE it)

Old 05-05-2002, 05:30 PM

Max.. I raced a 330 when my car was only about a week old.. I barely had it when I went for it. It was no contest... Look at the specs for that car !
I see your point. I honeslty believe that a well driven 330i 5 speed will be dead even with a 2k2 auto. Here why i think so....The 330i weighs only 20 lbs more than a 330i, but puts down the same hp as a 2k2 auto. Dont believe me...check this out http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...p?postid=17495
Old 05-05-2002, 05:32 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Ok Max..we can agree to disagree, no biggie.. Do you really think an intate can produce that kind of gain in HP ?

Quick Reply: 2K2 Auto w/ 4 passengers VS BMW 530i w/ 2