5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

wife doesnt like driving my max :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 12:22 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I took our pathfinder in for the its 12K oil change and she drove the Max today. She said she was glad to get out of it. bummer. She said she couldnt maintain 30mph, the car was either compression braking or accelerating. no in between. I then realized that I too do not drive the speed limit on this certain road because I really cannot without being annoyed (even with cruise). its a 30mph rolling road with lots of traffic. She said it feels like driving in mud. Yes, I know its all about the autofuel cutoff and may belong on that thread, but its also about the ton of compression braking with the max. Yeah, I know shes not used to the 'touchy' throttle, blah blah blah... I think I might have my TPS sensor looked at. I tend to just drive around it, but I'd like her to be able to enjoy the car too.
Old 11-28-2000, 12:37 PM
Rit

We need to fix "life". Women don't always

enjoy the "same things" that men enjoy. i guess you can substitute a number of items in for "same things".
Old 11-28-2000, 12:49 PM

I dont think a 4dr family sedan

falls into the men only category... I mean, If I had a Boxter and she didnt like her hair getting messed up, that would be one thing... but when a grocery getter wont get there gracefully, that kinda bums me out. I actually like to share things with my wife that I enjoy, she enjoys the power of the max. She has a pretty good time with it, but she was just really annoyed trying to pace traffic. The car should be refined enough to do such a thing.

I might even try using some other gas besides the exxon 93 stuff just to rule that out. I know having a 3rd diag on the car will be hard to get (2 for starting and rough idle problems, none found - yet the techs thought it enough to diag, but concluded everything in spec hence no problem)

Old 11-28-2000, 02:50 PM

just the opposite

My wife liked my Maxima so much we got one for her also.
Old 11-28-2000, 03:05 PM

Do you drive with od off all the time??? If you do it would never reach 4th gear and would be stuck in 3rd so when you let off the gas you would get compressioin braking.... I never notice it in my car. I notice it will coast forever with no gas input.....

Adam
Old 11-28-2000, 03:40 PM

wife and Maxima

I don't let my wife drive my Maxima. She can get the minivan scratched up
Martin
Old 11-28-2000, 04:19 PM

I did notice it bogging down alittle more

than usual.. its a bit colder out. I'm going to change gas stations before I take it back for diagnostic. I drive with OD on all the time... never thought of that tho.

Old 11-28-2000, 04:28 PM

Re: I did notice it bogging down alittle more

Originally posted by TimW
than usual.. its a bit colder out. I'm going to change gas stations before I take it back for diagnostic. I drive with OD on all the time... never thought of that tho.

My wife scares me when she drives my car, which is not that often. Im afraid she will scratch the chrome rims or dent the doors or even worse........She can drive her VOLVO 850 all that she wants!!!!
Old 11-28-2000, 05:01 PM
Johnson

Yeah, I get the same!

Ok, my wife used to complain, especially during the test drive @ the dealer. Well I get the car, and now she complains/yells (B+*Y#%S) about my driving. She complains that I drive too fast. Well, the truth is that I drive most carefully when she is in the car, and overall I am trying to take care of the car......... Lately (past 3-4 months) the car has started shocking sparks at her when she gets out of the car. I tell her its pay back, jokingly......

Thanksgiving night I have a DREAM, we stop at a store to get gas. We are in a hurry (trying to catch a movie).. She gets out of the car to finish pumping while I run in to pay for the gas. She comes around to take the hose and I walk around front on my way in I look down at the car (you know that glance you give it).... For some reason I look down at the headlights (they blink, NS)... I'm thinking that I hit the key remote in my pocket..... I run on in to pay, and as I hand the guy the money at the register, a flash of light!, a boom!, and LOTS of rolling black smoke come from the car.....

I WAKE up like some one shocked me, and I hear the horn beep on my car outside as if I just locked the doors.........

P.S. Am I a "Maxima Fanatic" yet?????

Old 11-28-2000, 05:44 PM

My wife also complained/teased me about getting a 5-speed Maxima, ("are you SURE we can't get an automatic?") Funny thing tho, everytime she goes somewhere and has a choice between the Maxima & her van, guess which one she takes! The other day, she comes back from the store & says "that Maxima gets pretty good second gear rubber" I guess I should be glad she's obviously a closet motor-head!
Regards, David Burnette
Old 11-28-2000, 05:53 PM

Oh she loves driving mine!

My wife can't get enough of my Maxima...she even tried to "borrow" it so she can take it to work.
I stood my ground and she only drives my baby on occasion. Frankly, I don't trust my wife with my car she already plowed into a stack of floor tile in my garage making a small gash in the front bumper...arrrrggghh!
Old 11-28-2000, 05:58 PM

for some reason my wife

wants a 911 (like a 97-98 model). She doesnt want to drive it, just to ride in it. She says she wants it to be my daily driver and ride in it on the weekends. Man, I cant argue with that logic Wont happen anytime soon tho Even if I got enough cash together, I dont think paying 4K per year in ins. would be fun.

Anyways, I tell her that if she thinks the max is rough around the egdes... I think a test drive will change her mind.

Yeah, on my car, the other doors dont always unlock, even tho I *know* I hit the button twice. So our joke is that when I finally unlock the pass. door and she gets in I tell her "she really doesnt like you, huh?" its a running joke.
Old 11-28-2000, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: just the opposite

Originally posted by MI2KSE
Same here, MI2KSE. We actually got my wife's 2K GXE A/T first. I got my 2K SE 5-speed several months later. They're both Sterling Mist with Sunroofs and Spoilers.

The compression-braking problem is part of the fuel-cut issue. But the problem isn't nearly as pronounced in her car as it is in mine. For example, her engine unloaded drops from 2500 rpm to 1500 rpm and then slowly decreases to idle. Mine drops from 2500 straight to idle with a little "bump" at 1500 rpm.

I'm meeting with my Zone Rep on Friday for a test drive. I'll post my results in the fuel-cut thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=9195
Old 11-28-2000, 06:06 PM

Heh

I know what you mean....the speed limit is mostly 30 mph in my area with police everywhere.....Car just does not want to run smoothly at 30.....heck the car doesnt want to run at 30 period

To borrow a line from Sammy Hagar, "I cant drive 55".....I have to be doing at least 70 or 80...dont know why, the car just wants to run
Old 11-28-2000, 08:01 PM

when i got my Maxima

..i just bumped up the insurance coverage..to full replacement cost of the vehicle for the first 3 years..if anything goes wrong.. like our Outback that she demolished on the higway in a single vehicle fishtail doo wahhh diddee on a perfectly clear and dry day. So..I let her drive the Maxima..but not when I'm in it!!
replacement insurance is a great thing!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2000, 08:17 PM

Re: when i got my Maxima

Originally posted by LeoB
..i just bumped up the insurance coverage..to full replacement cost of the vehicle for the first 3 years..if anything goes wrong.. like our Outback that she demolished on the higway in a single vehicle fishtail doo wahhh diddee on a perfectly clear and dry day. So..I let her drive the Maxima..but not when I'm in it!!
hmmm... I've never heard of replacement insurance.. how does that work?

Not that I could afford to add anything to my current policy. Insurance in L.A. isn't exactly cheap. grrrr
Old 11-28-2000, 08:45 PM

damn I love those wheels...

thats all had to say...
Old 11-29-2000, 06:02 AM

Re: Re: when i got my Maxima

Originally posted by xydavid
Originally posted by LeoB
hmmm... I've never heard of replacement insurance.. how does that work?

Not that I could afford to add anything to my current policy. Insurance in L.A. isn't exactly cheap. grrrr
replacement insurance is usually only offered on brand new cars, for the first three years.. If for whatever reason the car has to be written off in that time period, the insurance company pays the full cost of replacing the vehicle, with a brand new one. the value of the written off car is not depreciated. I gotta have it with the wife driving!!
Old 11-29-2000, 06:26 AM

Re: Re: just the opposite

Originally posted by y2kse
Originally posted by MI2KSE
Same here, MI2KSE. We actually got my wife's 2K GXE A/T first. I got my 2K SE 5-speed several months later. They're both Sterling Mist with Sunroofs and Spoilers.

I'm impressed you had the ***** to get two virtually identical cars. I have a Gray Lustre SE. My wife wanted a Sterling Mist GLE, but Gray Lustre was her second choice. Initially, the only vehicle I could find in the area that otherwise had the options she wanted was a Gray Lustre with a spoiler. I was not thrilled with the prospect of having two cars whose only outward differences were the taillight surrounds and the wheels.

Finally I found a Sterling Mist, which looks nice in the garage next to the Gray Lustre...