5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gear Signal

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 01:13 PM

Gear Signal

Does anybody know where I can pull a signal from that will signify what gear is being used? I know you can do it on motorcycles, and the signal is pulled off the tach. I was just curious if anybody knows. If not, then where can I get a manual that maps the electical systems of the car.

Thanks in Advance
Old 05-06-2002, 07:56 PM

come on people someone has to know something. Maybe this will get your attention. I am in the process custom fabricating a shift light for my car. The light will be 3" in diameter, I will have a small blue led 7pin light-bar in the middle that displays what gear you are in at the time. And when it is time to shift 8 high intensity blue led's will light up around the number(in a circle). I have already got the design down pat and My friend is goin to make me a custom dash mold for the light.

The only hard part is figuring out where to get the signal for the number in the light bar. My roomate is a Computer Engineer and knows how to do it, but I figured it would be easier to have an idea before we tear apart my car. Once I get this complete I will post pictures, but any help on the whereabouts of the signal would be great.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:27 AM

You might want to pick up a Chilton's or Haynes repair manual...they should have detailed electrical diagrams, although I'm not sure that they'd have the information that you want.

Good luck!

(p.s. you're most likely aware of this, but the automagics have a display to tell you what gear you're in (P/R/N/D/1/2), so there might be a breakout diagram of that system, and maybe even a similar system in place on a standard)