5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

check engine soon 2k2

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 05:16 AM
jun

check engine soon 2k2

after 6 mos and 4700 miles my 2k2 max "check engine soon" light turns on , i tried resetting the ecu overnight but when i turn the engine on this am the lights is still on, this is my first max and i have stillen intake and greddy evo, any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-09-2002, 06:38 AM

does it say check engine or service engine?
Old 05-09-2002, 06:45 AM

Re: check engine soon 2k2

gas cap on tight?
Old 05-09-2002, 06:51 AM
jun

my bad

it says "service engine soon "
Old 05-09-2002, 07:00 AM
jun

gas cap is tight
Old 05-09-2002, 07:27 AM

My service engine soon light came on my 2k2 Max
as well. I am at 5920 miles. There is only 1
engine light. It is stated in the owners manual.
I am having it checked at the dealers Monday.
I know its not my gas cap. Any other suggestions?
Old 05-09-2002, 08:02 AM

Gas Cap again

My light came on also. My gas cap was also on tight. Then I discovered that when I had tightened on the gas cap the thin plastic gas cap cord had gotten caught under the cap preventing it from sealing completely. Light's off now.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:35 PM

Re: Gas Cap again

I got the same problem at 750 miles...i took it to the dealer...1 week old...they said they reset something, but they couldn't find the problem...anyone have any ideas...i have the gas cap on tight...please help
Old 05-09-2002, 09:16 PM

Re: Re: Gas Cap again

Originally posted by luniz97
I got the same problem at 750 miles...i took it to the dealer...1 week old...they said they reset something, but they couldn't find the problem...anyone have any ideas...i have the gas cap on tight...please help
i got mine the same day, and i have about the same mileage already i thought i was the only one with that kind of mileage in like 10 days haha
Old 05-09-2002, 09:30 PM

yeah thats what my brothers did for awhile after he installed his intake.. the service engine light soon was on for a few days then all ofa sudden the car totally crapped out and he had to have it towed to the dealer.. turned out it was a bad Mass Air Flow sensor..
Old 05-09-2002, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by jun
after 6 mos and 4700 miles my 2k2 max "check engine soon" light turns on , i tried resetting the ecu overnight but when i turn the engine on this am the lights is still on, this is my first max and i have stillen intake and greddy evo, any input would be greatly appreciated

6=months 4700 miles!!!! DAMN!!! ME= 14,000 MILES 9 MONTHS!
TALK ABOUT DAILY DAILY DRIVER! thats me got the "C.E.L " 2 times.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:30 PM

haha i commute 100 miles a day
san francisco to san jose...love the max at 5:15 in the morning pullin out of my garage coasting with the xenons, navigation and bose
Old 05-10-2002, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by PlanoSER
yeah thats what my brothers did for awhile after he installed his intake.. the service engine light soon was on for a few days then all ofa sudden the car totally crapped out and he had to have it towed to the dealer.. turned out it was a bad Mass Air Flow sensor..
i have a question about this. I just installed an a frankencar intake and the serviced light went on also.. the engine shut of... is this becuase of the mass air sensor ??? how much it cost to replace it and is it warranty???
Old 05-11-2002, 12:50 PM

did anyone find a solution?
im so excited...im at 959 miles...
Old 05-11-2002, 06:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jcphamer

i have a question about this. I just installed an a frankencar intake and the serviced light went on also.. the engine shut of... is this becuase of the mass air sensor ??? how much it cost to replace it and is it warranty???
Mine threw the SES light and went into 'limp home mode' after having the Frankencar intake on it for about 5000 miles. Dead MAF. I replaced the stock air box, took car to dealer and they replaced the MAF. About 3000 miles later, I put the Frankencar back on the car (it wasn't making the box it was stored in any faster, though I'm sure it would have dynoed at least another 3hp ) I haven't blown another MAF in the last 1500 miles, but if I do, the Frankencar is going to be the most expensive paper weight I own.

I believe that the MAF that was originally on my car simply had a thin wire running down the center of it, the new one is encased in a rectangular box. Maybe there were some defective units? My car is a 9/01 build btw.

Albert
Old 05-11-2002, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you put a Frankentake on then drive it for about 200 miles and 50 restarts. It should shut off. If you have done NO mods, then go to the dealer and have the VIN run for the recall on the Throttle Controll. These issues have been going around for a while, I hate to sound cliche` but use the search, you will get a lot of the history on this stuff.

By the way, the ECU will not reset with just unhooking the battery, it has to run it's course or a dealer needs to reset it. I forgott to hook up the MAF when I put on the Franklentake and it triped the ECU. My dealership said to just drive it and it will turn off. It did and they have said nothing about the intake when I take it in.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by akrus

Mine threw the SES light and went into 'limp home mode' after having the Frankencar intake on it for about 5000 miles. Dead MAF. I replaced the stock air box, took car to dealer and they replaced the MAF. About 3000 miles later, I put the Frankencar back on the car (it wasn't making the box it was stored in any faster, though I'm sure it would have dynoed at least another 3hp ) I haven't blown another MAF in the last 1500 miles, but if I do, the Frankencar is going to be the most expensive paper weight I own.

I believe that the MAF that was originally on my car simply had a thin wire running down the center of it, the new one is encased in a rectangular box. Maybe there were some defective units? My car is a 9/01 build btw.

Albert
hey albert

my car did exactly the same thing... it went into limp mode.. the car starts but very sluggish...

question : did the dealer replace that maf for you under warranty?
my car production is 08/01... too. tell me what you did when you take it to the dealer... did you put back the stock box? did they say anything about mods to you... please let me know soon... i am taking mine in on monday....
Old 05-11-2002, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by dblrr900
If you put a Frankentake on then drive it for about 200 miles and 50 restarts. It should shut off. If you have done NO mods, then go to the dealer and have the VIN run for the recall on the Throttle Controll. These issues have been going around for a while, I hate to sound cliche` but use the search, you will get a lot of the history on this stuff.

By the way, the ECU will not reset with just unhooking the battery, it has to run it's course or a dealer needs to reset it. I forgott to hook up the MAF when I put on the Franklentake and it triped the ECU. My dealership said to just drive it and it will turn off. It did and they have said nothing about the intake when I take it in.

Hope this helps.
hmmm throttle control?? may be that is it ....
Old 05-11-2002, 08:46 PM

my cool dealer saw the frankencar and told me the MAF will trip the ECU and sometimes burn out with the cone intake from k&n most of the time, he's fixed many, and knows, he marks the screws holes on the factory air box, and when the car comes back for service he remembers and see his mark tampered! hah, he's seen many CEL victims who've honestly told him they had an intake, so far some filters are oiled too heavily and it is caught by the MAF sensor and causes it to trip up and sometimes burn out from the oil. (right frankencar guys?!?)
Old 05-12-2002, 05:41 AM

hey albert

my car did exactly the same thing... it went into limp mode.. the car starts but very sluggish...

question : did the dealer replace that maf for you under warranty?
my car production is 08/01... too. tell me what you did when you take it to the dealer... did you put back the stock box? did they say anything about mods to you... please let me know soon... i am taking mine in on monday....
Yes, the dealer replaced the MAF under warranty. I removed the FC intake and re-installed the stock box. I've talked to the service writer afterwards (about a month after they replaced the MAF) and asked him how sticky they would get with mods. His response was 'Don't come in here with NOS or electrical mods other than stereo' He flat out told me that exhaust and intake were no problem.

BTW, I neglected to mention that my car had the throttle stop replaced about 500 miles before the MAF blew.

Albert
Old 05-12-2002, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by 02MaximaSE
my cool dealer saw the frankencar and told me the MAF will trip the ECU and sometimes burn out with the cone intake from k&n most of the time, he's fixed many, and knows, he marks the screws holes on the factory air box, and when the car comes back for service he remembers and see his mark tampered! hah, he's seen many CEL victims who've honestly told him they had an intake, so far some filters are oiled too heavily and it is caught by the MAF sensor and causes it to trip up and sometimes burn out from the oil. (right frankencar guys?!?)
That's one paranoid dealership!

My dealership claims that my blown MAF is the only one they've seen on a 2k2. I can't be the only modded 2k2 out there can I? I really think that some of the MAFs were defective or improperly designed (as I noted in my original post to this thread). Only time with the FC Intake reinstalled will tell. I am seriously considering the purchase of an Apexi filter as it avoids the oiling problems, if indeed that is a problem with the K&N's. Visually, I couldn't say that my K&N was over-oiled. Maybe a quick email to K&N to get their response is due? I might send them an email with some links, asking for comments.

Albert
Old 05-13-2002, 07:24 PM
ABS

Albert
Albert,

Any chance you could post a pics of what you mean? How exactly is the new MAF sensor different than the old one? A lot of us with early builds (prior to 1/1/02) are seeing poor fuel economy and some other intermittent issues. We suspect faulty MAF sensors but haven't been able to find anything conclusive. Any information you could provide would be a help . . . thanks!

Andy
Old 05-13-2002, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by ABS

Albert,

Any chance you could post a pics of what you mean? How exactly is the new MAF sensor different than the old one? A lot of us with early builds (prior to 1/1/02) are seeing poor fuel economy and some other intermittent issues. We suspect faulty MAF sensors but haven't been able to find anything conclusive. Any information you could provide would be a help . . . thanks!

Andy
i just had my MAF replace today under warranty. I think it is not due to a defective MAF... I think the reason is the franken intake. and the way the max is design... it lets hot air into the intake more than it should causing the MAf to go bad.... if you have your stock air box.. i dont think this would happen becuase the stock air box keeps heat away and also suck in air from outside....
Old 05-13-2002, 07:55 PM
ABS

i just had my MAF replace today under warranty. I think it is not due to a defective MAF... I think the reason is the franken intake. and the way the max is design... it lets hot air into the intake more than it should causing the MAf to go bad.... if you have your stock air box.. i dont think this would happen becuase the stock air box keeps heat away and also suck in air from outside....
Interesting theory . . . If you are right, I wonder what will happen on really hot summer days?!?

I think the "oil theory" might be more probable than the "temperature theory", but I'm not really sure. My car is an early build, 10/01, has a slightly lumpy idle, and poor fuel economy. I suspect the MAF, but can't prove it . . .
Old 05-13-2002, 08:15 PM

I just thought I'd throw in my two cents here. My car is a 02/02 build, and it totally stock. I have had no problems with idle, perfrmance, etc. I usually am averaging 24mpg city and 29 or 30 hwy; it's just getting ready to turn 6k on the odometer.
Originally posted by ABS

Interesting theory . . . If you are right, I wonder what will happen on really hot summer days?!?

I think the "oil theory" might be more probable than the "temperature theory", but I'm not really sure. My car is an early build, 10/01, has a slightly lumpy idle, and poor fuel economy. I suspect the MAF, but can't prove it . . .
Old 05-13-2002, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by ABS

why dont you take it to the dealer? yeah the oil theory is good... but you are telling me that the filter comes oil from the factory just like that and you have to wash it and lightly oil it?? kind of strange? do you have an aftrermarket intake on... if so that must be the problem with your gas mileage and slightly lumpy idle...by the way did you sent it back for a throttle sensor recall? your car is one of the affected.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by ABS

Albert,

Andy
I'll try and get some pics of it on the weekend. Maybe I'll sketch out what I mean and scan/post. It's too cold/wet even for golf, let alone working on a car (ahhhh, condo life without a garage )

Albert
Old 05-14-2002, 03:09 AM

I was thinking about this the last time I resinstalled the FC, so I kept the first section of the factory intake on the car. You know, the scoop. It's held in there securely enough when the hood is down and I figure it can't hurt to direct some air towards the K&N, even just for cooling the engine bay down I think it's worthwhile.

Albert
Old 05-14-2002, 04:04 AM
john2002max

Re: Gas Cap again

Originally posted by Rogo
My light came on also. My gas cap was also on tight. Then I discovered that when I had tightened on the gas cap the thin plastic gas cap cord had gotten caught under the cap preventing it from sealing completely. Light's off now.
The same thing happened to me with that plastic cord and my light came on. I cut off that stupid cord and my light went out on it's own in a few day's.

Old 05-14-2002, 04:21 AM
john2002max

Originally posted by jun
I really believe that the problems with the check engine lights are caused by the intake mods. The engine was designed a certain way by people a whole lot smarter than us. Right now we can fool the dealers and have the map sensors replaced under warrenty, but soon they will catch on. And once the warrenty runs out we'll be screwed. Besides is it really worth the extra 3-6 HP? It seem funny how most of the cars with this problem have intake mods!

Old 05-14-2002, 04:52 AM

Re: Re: check engine soon 2k2

Originally posted by john2002max

I really believe that the problems with the check engine lights are caused by the intake mods. The engine was designed a certain way by people a whole lot smarter than us. Right now we can fool the dealers and have the map sensors replaced under warrenty, but soon they will catch on. And once the warrenty runs out we'll be screwed. Besides is it really worth the extra 3-6 HP? It seem funny how most of the cars with this problem have intake mods!
I've had K&N intakes on other cars in the past and never had a problem with them. I do trust their quality. My thinking is that there were defective units which have been redesigned.

See the quick sketch below for the diferences that I've seen between my two units. The blocky section in the new MAF appears to encase the wire from the inlet side but is open on the outlet side, exposing the wire.

Maybe one of you guys with blown MAF's still in your possesion can take before/after pics?

Also in response to john2002max's question re: "Besides is it really worth the extra 3-6 HP?" Yes. My FC intake dynoed 10 wheel hp and has gotten rid of the annoying, albeit momentary, bog associated with heavy throttle application at about 2800 rpm. The sound is nice occasionaly as well.

Albert
Old 05-14-2002, 05:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: check engine soon 2k2

my $.02. I had a totally modded 200sx SE-R with no problems or check engines lights. The intake should not trip it. I am taking my car in tomorrow for the third time. I am getting codes for a gas cap and cylinder 2 misfire. I'm going to swap back to stock and run that for a week and see if it trips up again. I'll keep you posted.

-jason
Old 05-14-2002, 06:09 AM

I have had my Frankentake for over 4 months now. No problems.

The only ECU trip I had was my own fault for not attaching the Sensor connector before starting. Since then no worries or trouble. I bought my car in Dec 2001 so I know it is in the troubled class. I dont think this is an issue for "everyone" with an intake, just some people are having the problem. Same goes for the clutch thing, not everyone is having the squeely clutch.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:28 AM

Re: Re: check engine soon 2k2

Originally posted by john2002max

yes i agree with you john2002, if we didn't mod our intake the light will never go on.... I think with the obdII, there is not much we can do for mods.. if you want more horses power get a better car....ex. M3, toyota supra, G35.... then you will be happy...
Old 05-14-2002, 05:53 PM

yes i agree with you john2002, if we didn't mod our intake the light will never go on.... I think with the obdII, there is not much we can do for mods.. if you want more horses power get a better car....ex. M3, toyota supra, G35.... then you will be happy...

I couldnt disagree more..... I had a 96 Civic with a 97 GSR motor (ODBII) and took that car from nothing to 13.4 in the 1/4 mile and it still could pass emissions on any given day. There is plenty you can do with ODBII cars, you just have to have good testing and technology going into the parts you put on the car. To be honest I don't think there is enough testing around the Maxima products, they are too few and to far apart to properly test.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:30 PM
ABS

why dont you take it to the dealer? yeah the oil theory is good... but you are telling me that the filter comes oil from the factory just like that and you have to wash it and lightly oil it?? kind of strange? do you have an aftrermarket intake on... if so that must be the problem with your gas mileage and slightly lumpy idle...by the way did you sent it back for a throttle sensor recall? your car is one of the affected.
jcphamer,

My engine is bone stock and I have had the recall done on the car (which did help matters a little). The stock filter in my car is red in color and looks like it's been oiled. I could be wrong though . . .
Old 05-14-2002, 10:42 PM

I've had K&N intakes on other cars in the past and never had a problem with them. I do trust their quality. My thinking is that there were defective units which have been redesigned.

See the quick sketch below for the diferences that I've seen between my two units. The blocky section in the new MAF appears to encase the wire from the inlet side but is open on the outlet side, exposing the wire.

Maybe one of you guys with blown MAF's still in your possesion can take before/after pics?

Also in response to john2002max's question re: "Besides is it really worth the extra 3-6 HP?" Yes. My FC intake dynoed 10 wheel hp and has gotten rid of the annoying, albeit momentary, bog associated with heavy throttle application at about 2800 rpm. The sound is nice occasionaly as well.

arkus

that is a nice pic of the maf... i hope they put the same one in my car... i am getting it back tommorrow.. so you dont have a problem with the fc intake after the maf replacement? what filter are you using?

Albert
Old 05-15-2002, 03:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: check engine soon 2k2

that is a nice pic of the maf... i hope they put the same one in my car... i am getting it back tommorrow.. so you dont have a problem with the fc intake after the maf replacement? what filter are you using?
Hehe, you like my artistic abilities More of my work will be on display at the Guggenheim

I haven't had any problems in the last 4000 kms (~2500 miles) with the Frankencar. My intake was an early one with the K&N filter on it. I was just at the dragstrip with my car last Saturday as well. Can you check your MAF to see if it's like what I describe above? Maybe even ask the tech to verify what it looks like before/after he changes it.

I really hope it's been a batch of bad MAFs that have caused the problems.

Albert
Old 05-15-2002, 04:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: check engine soon 2k2

Hehe, you like my artistic abilities More of my work will be on display at the Guggenheim

I haven't had any problems in the last 4000 kms (~2500 miles) with the Frankencar. My intake was an early one with the K&N filter on it. I was just at the dragstrip with my car last Saturday as well. Can you check your MAF to see if it's like what I describe above? Maybe even ask the tech to verify what it looks like before/after he changes it.

I really hope it's been a batch of bad MAFs that have caused the problems.

Albert
i picked my car up march 16th as it rolled off the truck(i assume january build date) with the HSLD. I have the MAF with the long sensor.

-j
Old 05-15-2002, 04:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: check engine soon 2k2

Originally posted by gt1380a

i picked my car up march 16th as it rolled off the truck(i assume january build date) with the HSLD. I have the MAF with the long sensor.

-j
By 'long sensor' do you mean the long hot wire (red in top pic) or the long box as in the bottom pic? Can you check your driver side door jamb and post the build date? It would be nice to see if there is a trend we can spot.

Albert

Quick Reply: check engine soon 2k2