5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

God no...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 10:44 PM

God no...

http://www.melteye.com/1.JPG

http://www.melteye.com/2.JPG
Old 05-10-2002, 10:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: God no...

Wowzers what the heck happened?
Old 05-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Re: God no...

What you hit.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:51 PM

damn that sux looks like it hurt
Old 05-10-2002, 11:08 PM

A curb... How much do you think this would take to repair?

Door doesn't close like it used to, the tire is bent at an angle its not suppose to be (looking from the front it goes left to right, and the bumper is scratched to all hell.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:10 PM

damn how fast where u going when u hit the curb?

price might depend if you bent the arm or not, scratches shouldnt be too bad for a bodyshop to fix
Old 05-10-2002, 11:11 PM

I probably did bend the arm. I was going a little less the 40.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by melteye
I probably did bend the arm. I was going a little less the 40.
the state needs to do something about these curbs. the darned things come out of nowhere and put everyones' lives at risk.

seriously, do you mind if i ask how it happened?

BTW, thats what we need our wheels to do when we're pulling into parking spaced or making u-turns. i say keep it like that. you'd be able to make right turns like a champ.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:14 PM

ouch that may hurt your wallet a little good luck man wish u the best
Old 05-10-2002, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Dario
ouch that may hurt your wallet a little good luck man wish u the best
BTW dario...i replied to you in the other thread but then it got deleted.

i havent talked to the body shop since they started working on it. i decided i'd rather talk to them when it was almost done so i wouldnt get as anxious. im going to give them a call on the 2 week mark (this tuesday) to see whats up.

thanks for asking.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:18 PM

yeah i saw the post and tried to reply but was to late

i know what u mean about calling every few hours thats exactly the way i was when my car was in the shop for tranny work. i had no patience what so ever! well good luck with the car and hope everything comes out alright
Old 05-10-2002, 11:20 PM

Apparently I slept with the curbs girlfriend and he was pretty ****ed off. I was just driving down the street and it jumped out in front of me and ****ed up my poor maxima... Revenge sucks.

Reality:

I just got my OXB FSTB this morning and put it on around 8:40PM. I got out on the street and decided to test it, so I went to the turn where I ALWAYS test my car (I have never lost control in that turn). Was going about 36-39 and turned and understeered severely... The car went perfectly straight while the steering wheel was turned. I tried the snap-back to regain control to no go, but it did start to barely turn... Then I slammed the breaks and the ABS didn't even kick in... All I heard was "SCREEEEECCCCHH" for 3-4 seconds before impact. The flatside of the wheel hit the curb and then bent and went on the curb... Then it rolled off...'

I'm sad.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:22 PM

damn that hurts
Old 05-10-2002, 11:25 PM

Why didn't the ABS kick in?
Old 05-10-2002, 11:48 PM

Any estimate on costs?

1) Control Arm

2) Bumper

3) Replacement Rim

4) Replacement Tire
Old 05-10-2002, 11:49 PM

check with DaveB on this board he is pretty good on prices but from the looks of it its going to be pretty expensive
Old 05-10-2002, 11:59 PM

Then I slammed the breaks and the ABS didn't even kick in... All I heard was "SCREEEEECCCCHH" for 3-4 seconds before impact. The flatside of the wheel hit the curb and then bent and went on the curb... Then it rolled off...'
Ow. Damn.

If you were already in a spin (i.e. all four tires broke loose) ABS may have activated, but it wouldn't have made any difference. (If the flatside of the wheel hit the curb, you were approaching the curb at an angle.) I'd expect different damage to your bumper too.

Anyway, I did this once to an '86 Grand Am I had. (Early in the morning, just enough dew to mix with the oil and create a skating rink.) There was less apparent damage than yours, but it bent the unibody just enough that the car ate CV joints for lunch. I eventually dumped the car, 'cause they couldn't fix it. I hope you have better luck.

(I'd point out, but you've probably already know, that you don't go out and do 10/10ths (or even 9, 8 or 7/10ths) when you first make suspension changes...)

How much? Depends on whether or not it went all the way to the transmission. If you damaged the trans...

Good luck. I hope your shop can fix it.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:07 AM

I wasn't sliding sideways... I was sliding straight but I turned the wheel towards the curb to regain movement, then I steered the other direction (so it started to slide at a 45 degree angle... Then I pushed the brakes and it made no different.

1) I turn and the car turns about 15 degrees then begins to slide straight towards a curb (and a wall).

2) I try to correct and the car turns 30 degrees more towards my intended route

3) I slam breaks (before I was only pressing lighty for wait transfer) and nothing happens at all... Still same screeching noise, no ABS (couldn't hear it, and usually when I autocross I hear it very very well even in situations like this)

4) Car hits curb at about a 45 degree angle and then FINALLY regains traction (since the impact slowed it down)

5) Car rolls off the curb going 10mph and about 4 feet later the wheel starts to flop and the car can't move anymore.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:19 AM

Whats with all these 5th gen mishaps lately? The deer that attack newman, the curbed that leaped out in front of melteye...... Just kidding with ya. That sucks, I know. About a month after I had mine I brushed a curb with my bumper and scratched up the area under the right foglight. Just haven't had time to have it repainted yet. Oh yeah, I noticed my first door ding too the other day. Sweet angel of death deliver me!
Old 05-11-2002, 12:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

body work will be around 700 - 900...ur fender/door/bumper (I think they can still sand it down if it is not cracked)

not sure about ur wheel and axle.

A curb... How much do you think this would take to repair?

Door doesn't close like it used to, the tire is bent at an angle its not suppose to be (looking from the front it goes left to right, and the bumper is scratched to all hell.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:09 AM

I can't beleive this happened...

Debate: Should I

1) Have insurance pay for it. I'm an 18 year-old male.

2) Pay for it out of my own pocket if its less then $4000 and not buy my motorcycle anymore.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:00 AM

I can't beleive this happened...

Debate: Should I

1) Have insurance pay for it. I'm an 18 year-old male.

2) Pay for it out of my own pocket if its less then $4000 and not buy my motorcycle anymore.
Insurance.

Ur rates will skyrocket though.

Looks like you might have axle damage. On New Year's Day I got into an accident with my mom's 2002 Mercedes Benz C320. Cabbie plowed through the cars front right. Broke the axle, replaced door panel, hood, fender, headlights. Came out to $9500 worth of damages. U dont look like you have too much body damage. But the fixing the axle will cost you a pretty penny.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:36 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

That wheel is going to cost a fortune....I'd bet around $400 for the stock one at the very least.

That's pretty nasty....I'd call the insurance company.

I ran over a ladder on the freeway going about 80. Control arm bent. Strut mounts broke. Cracked two rims (and they were discontinued so I had to buy all 4). 2 new tires (under road hazard warranty thank God). If I remember correctly I was in the $2000-$3000 range. I might be off on that though..
Old 05-11-2002, 05:46 AM

thanks for the help guys... nissan should be calling me early today...
Old 05-11-2002, 06:33 AM

I wasn't sliding sideways... I was sliding straight but I turned the wheel towards the curb to regain movement, then I steered the other direction (so it started to slide at a 45 degree angle... Then I pushed the brakes and it made no different.

1) I turn and the car turns about 15 degrees then begins to slide straight towards a curb (and a wall).

2) I try to correct and the car turns 30 degrees more towards my intended route

3) I slam breaks (before I was only pressing lighty for wait transfer) and nothing happens at all... Still same screeching noise, no ABS (couldn't hear it, and usually when I autocross I hear it very very well even in situations like this)

4) Car hits curb at about a 45 degree angle and then FINALLY regains traction (since the impact slowed it down)

5) Car rolls off the curb going 10mph and about 4 feet later the wheel starts to flop and the car can't move anymore.
Man, that sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me except I did mine in the rain
Pics look exactly like my accident too

Lower control arm bent
Upper strut mount messed up
Bumper under fog light scratched
Paint near bumper lens spider-webbed
Rim scuffed up
FCKed up alignment/toe
Fender bent

Ended up costing around 2500 with a 1000 dollar deductable. Oh well at least I got a body kit out of it..

I also tried to recover like you did. But in retrospect, I think I should have either slammed hard on the brakes quickly, then tried to accelerate out, or just tap the brakes and pulled the e-brake to induce spin.

Damned front wheel drive
Old 05-11-2002, 10:34 AM

Any estimate on costs?

1) Control Arm

2) Bumper

3) Replacement Rim

4) Replacement Tire
Fix it yourself, insurance will rape you!

I did the same thing, broke down like this. (This is a 4th Gen so your prices might be slightly higher)

1. Lower Front Right Control Arm - $60 Shipped - car-parts.com
2. Sway Bar Link - $13 - Nissan Dealership
4. Nuts and Bolts - $12 - Ace Hardware
3. Rim Repaired (It was bent to ****, now it looks brand new, stands out from my other rims) - $100 - Wheel Technologies
4. Lifetime alignment - $120 - Firestone

Don't now about the tire, but it didn't look like a gonner either.

Also, i dont know about the bumper, but are you sure you cant just get it repainted? Go to car-parts.com, you can get pretty good deals on all that stuff.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:29 AM

Also, mine looked much worse then yours. I actualy pushed the wheel up into the body. Looked terrible. Considering that, i would say that you probably haven't bent the frame, or messed up your axle.

I fixed mine about 12,000 miles back and no problems. Alignment isn't perfect, but it wasn't perfect before. I just think the firestone i go to sucks. They tore up my steering wheel aligning it
Old 05-11-2002, 02:34 PM

I did the same exact thing to my friends Mustang GT, took a 90deg corner way too fast, and hit a curb with the face of the wheel. Well, they dashboard had to be removed, because the floorpan was creased, the exhaust had to be cut out of the floorpan, frame straightened, new rim, new rack, a-arm, a little bodywork, total :$11,000.00 and 3mos in the shop.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:09 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

unfortunately.. this is true..

thats the thing about the maxima and turns.. it has happened countless times and everyone should take this as another lesson.

When the max breaks free in a turn, its over. And there in lies the rub. I think RSB, FTSB and stiff springs make you forget about the solid axle and the nasty understeer we inherently have. I forget sometimes too, but I get reminded fairly often that you better hang on if the rear gets bumped in a turn. And if they fronts break free, you're now a plow captain just along for the ride.

Its a heavy car, when the law of physics comes calling, its gonna hurt.

My point is that the max is fairly forgiving and can be driven somewhat aggressively, but more sports oriented cars can be corrected more easily. Don't let the false sense of security creep up on you.

Oh and Ed, bring $60-75 and I'll take you to a place on Tuesday that will make that ding a distant memory.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:32 PM

Will do Tim! It has scratched the paint a little too, so I'll go by the dealer and get a bottle of touchup paint.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:34 PM

the ding..

my paint was scuffed, not to bare metal though. Part of the repair was to buff the area. The dull scuff was gone. You have to really look closely in the right light to see the paint scuff. The dent was history. Regardless, if they cant repair it where you wont see it, they wont take your money and attempt the repair. Thats good and bad :/
Old 05-12-2002, 01:50 AM

I get a quote tommorow on how much it will cost to repair... You think I should have them do it and pay from pocket or ask them exactly what needs to be replaced and find someone to help me do it myself.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:53 AM

I get a quote tommorow on how much it will cost to repair... You think I should have them do it and pay from pocket or ask them exactly what needs to be replaced and find someone to help me do it myself.
Buy the parts and give it a shot yourself. A trained monkey could replace the lower control arm so if its not much more then that you should do it yourself. Drive up to your dealership and see if they will give your the torque specs for all those bolts. The guy at my dealership was pretty nice and let me borrow the service manual.

If you cant get it to work at least youll already have the parts to let someone else do it. But i think you should do it yourself, the maxima front suspension is very simple and easy to work on,

I'd help but im in dallas. But i can help you online.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:18 AM

melteye

not a good idea to post that here. For one, Nissan NA reads these boards and secondly Jambo is pretty strict about sharing software on the board.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:39 AM

Re: melteye

Originally posted by TimW
not a good idea to post that here. For one, Nissan NA reads these boards and secondly Jambo is pretty strict about sharing software on the board.

Did I miss something
Old 05-13-2002, 08:46 AM
jjs

Re: Re: melteye

Originally posted by 97GLE

Did I miss something
There was a post here, about copying info and sharing with other .org members, but apparently it has been deleted...