5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can a suspension modded keep up/take out a G35

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 01:29 AM

Can a suspension modded keep up/take out a G35

I was oogling one of the new G35s at the dealer the other day and started wondering.....who would win in the handling contest. Now, stock for stock....I think any sane person will conceded the fact that the G35 will run rings around the Max, but my question deals with mods. Will a suspension modded Max, mine for example , be able to outhandle or at least keep up with a stock G35?
Old 05-11-2002, 01:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Can a suspension modded keep up/take out a G35

Originally posted by Maximus1000
I was oogling one of the new G35s at the dealer the other day and started wondering.....who would win in the handling contest. Now, stock for stock....I think any sane person will conceded the fact that the G35 will run rings around the Max, but my question deals with mods. Will a suspension modded Max, mine for example , be able to outhandle or at least keep up with a stock G35?
....well with your properly tuned suspension id proably imagine your 2k2 will out handle the G35..im sure the G35 has ALOT of advancemnts...for instance 0 lift spoilers... but i dont think its can be as dialed in as your combination.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:08 AM

Well I'd have my doubts. One thing you probably couldn't do is match the comfort/performance of the G35. By dialing in a stiffer ride you might be able to, but the g35 can pull .86G on the skid pad with 215/55R17. That says something about the suspension. With some sticky tires id imagine it can handle extremely well.

Considering youv'e got MacPhearson strut up front and a beam axle in the rear, and the g35's got a full multilink suspension, made mostly of aluminum front and rear, it seams pretty difficult to match it.

I think you would have to have both cars in your possesion to figue it out definitively, but i doubt it.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:30 AM

No a max cannot out perform a g35.

Old 05-12-2002, 02:41 PM

Re: Re: Can a suspension modded keep up/take out a G35

Also, even if you could make your grip similar to a G35, you would only match it or exceed it to the limit of your tires. Once you hit the limit the Maxima goes into terminal understeer. Then you have no way of correcting until you regain traction. The G35 on the other hand can be coaxed into oversteer or even a slight 4 wheel drift which is very useful on some tight turns.

the Maxima understeer at the limit is why everyone is hitting curbs with there front wheels plowing strait in.