5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 09:09 PM

Traction Control

I'm trying to decide on some options for a 2K2 Max. I'm considering a GLE with Meridian. I live in Colorado, so snow and ice are a factor during the winter. Can anyone tell me if the TCS will make much of a difference? Or will just having front wheel drive be enough. (Also trying to keep costs under control a bit.)
Old 05-11-2002, 09:28 PM

I live in Texas so the ice can be a pain @ times. I also have a cabin in CO and the tcs came in real handy. it works great but it is a pain when you pull out in front of someone and floor it (it stalls when this happens)if i had it to do over, i probably would get it again
Old 05-11-2002, 09:31 PM

Re: Traction Control

Originally posted by mm7759
I'm trying to decide on some options for a 2K2 Max. I'm considering a GLE with Meridian. I live in Colorado, so snow and ice are a factor during the winter. Can anyone tell me if the TCS will make much of a difference? Or will just having front wheel drive be enough. (Also trying to keep costs under control a bit.)
Unless Nissan changed the traction control, you might be better off with a LSD. (Both will never hurt, though. )

Nissan's traction control only knows how to reduce engine output. It doesn't use the brakes/ABS at all, so at low speeds, you'll bog. (What were their engineers thinking? Don't get me started on the beam rear axle.)

I've had a couple of instances where I was coming out of a driveway onto a busy street, flooring it while turning, and the engine seems to have died, until the wheelspin dies down and the engine is fed gas again. (I at first though it might have been the dreaded trans slip, but I've determined it's the traction control.)

Then too, you're from Colorado. You might need all the help you can get. What do you do when you're in one of those "Chains Required" areas?
Old 05-11-2002, 10:55 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Just remember, you can always turn your TC on and off. I never use it really, I live in Sunny Southern Calif, and i also have meridian...
Old 05-12-2002, 05:07 AM

Re: Re: Traction Control

Originally posted by KaxMaxSEAE
Unless Nissan changed the traction control, you might be better off with a LSD. (Both will never hurt, though. )

Nissan's traction control only knows how to reduce engine output. It doesn't use the brakes/ABS at all, so at low speeds, you'll bog. (What were their engineers thinking? Don't get me started on the beam rear axle.)

I've had a couple of instances where I was coming out of a driveway onto a busy street, flooring it while turning, and the engine seems to have died, until the wheelspin dies down and the engine is fed gas again. (I at first though it might have been the dreaded trans slip, but I've determined it's the traction control.)

Then too, you're from Colorado. You might need all the help you can get. What do you do when you're in one of those "Chains Required" areas?
Sorry, HLSD is not available on the 02 auto cars. If it were, Kloogy and I would have it. Now you can add it aftermarket but I am not sure how effective it is. Kloogy.........maybe your next mod?
l8tr -- SS
Old 05-12-2002, 05:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Traction Control

Originally posted by ssiperko

Sorry, HLSD is not available on the 02 auto cars. If it were, Kloogy and I would have it
Bummer. The VLSD is the *only* reason I chose an AE over the SE. I like stealth cars. (I'd take off the body kit, but... but... I've grown fond of it. )