5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

WRX & Prelude 2K+ VS Max 2K+

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 08:31 PM

I'm curious how many people have raced Preludes 2K+ and WRXs and have won/lost. (I don't see many people racing WRXs too). Also who would win a stock prelude, stock wrx and stock Maxima 2000? Please list your car year and any mods you had. Thanx.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I personally have never raced any of these cars. But I think if they were all stock the WRX should smoke them all, second would be the Maxima and last the Prelude.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:42 PM

Re: WRX & Prelude 2K+ VS Max 2K+

Originally posted by Trunksu
I'm curious how many people have raced Preludes 2K+ and WRXs and have won/lost. (I don't see many people racing WRXs too). Also who would win a stock prelude, stock wrx and stock Maxima 2000? Please list your car year and any mods you had. Thanx.
i raced a supercharged 97 prelude in my 2k2. i beat him both times.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:58 PM
2K1HoMax

those prelude are very generous on power, if stock its an easy race even if u got an auto u can toy with it just matching speed, then once u get to 60 just punch it, u should see the look on their face( what happedned i thought i was walkin him?????) but if they got a few boltons they can be very fast... but the wrx is a fun car its got awd so traction is too much of an issue, just rev it and dump it and hold on. those thing jump off the line 60' times of better the 2 sec on most of them with a few bolt ons.

Old 05-12-2002, 09:09 PM

wrx will win

dude i got 2k1 and i raced stock prelude 5 spd. and i lost. and wrx stock is faster then prelude stok. i dont have any mods. i am trying to find me cheap supercharge.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:17 PM

yeah it's weird because i keep hearing different results on people racing preludes. some people say it's cake and others say it's not. Also it sounds like 2K2s will tear up a prelude with ease, just not the WRX.

- Trunksu
Old 05-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I tried to follow a stock look WRX...sure that **** will mow me down without any difficulty.
havent tried the prelude yet.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:28 PM

WRX arent that fast if you dont launch them very hard. Many people driving them dont know how to drive them properly or dont wanna be buying clutches/trannies prematurely. I raced a WRX 5 speed from a 5 mph roll and had about 1/4 on the guy when we shut down at 70. My car is broken too, if my VIAS was working I would have beaten him much worse.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:37 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
WRX arent that fast if you dont launch them very hard. Many people driving them dont know how to drive them properly or dont wanna be buying clutches/trannies prematurely. I raced a WRX 5 speed from a 5 mph roll and had about 1/4 on the guy when we shut down at 70. My car is broken too, if my VIAS was working I would have beaten him much worse.
very true, but if the person does know how to drive it, and they got a beefed up clutch and flywheel, u gotta a prob, they only advantage we got is they have very bad turbo lag no boost til like 3800-4000 rpm. so if u start from a roll it will be a easy race, but u start off the line, no chance theyll lauch hard and stay above 4k rpms. giving them boost at all times, ive unfourtunaley had the oppurtunity to try racing them both way, its a day and night diff, and prelude are fast if and only if they bolt a few bolt ons.

Old 05-12-2002, 10:57 PM

There was a new dyno figure for WRX's in SCC magazine. They previously had a comparison with a bunch of modded WRX's and stock they got about 145hp. Now they are saying it was a dyno error and you should see around 165 hp. The 2k2 6spd Maximas dyno at 205hp as well all know, so a race from a roll should be in our favor.

Jesse
Old 05-12-2002, 11:04 PM

I 'll proly get much flames for this ....

but,

One night late coming home had two runs with a goldish debadged WRX w/two guys vs only me (A quick glance at shoulders up, says were all same build).

first run I took off first thru the left lane opening we were already going 60+, he managed to get close until 80+, then past 90+ he began to fade, but chased me til 110+. He never caught me at all. OD/on

2nd run He took off first thru the right side opening, I was right behind him but gunned it a little late cause I didn't wanna run into his back. We were locked about a car length apart (thats how the race started) up until upper 80'ies. By around low 90'ies I was right beside him. held up the peace sign as I flew by. Ran it up til 110+ again. He wouldn't look over after that OD/on

btw. He started it, was flying by me then matched speed and revved both of them looking over at me in my six(aka smackdown)

boosted dreams
woosh
Old 05-12-2002, 11:31 PM

Well nobody said it was impossible to beat a WRX, but if it's a 5spd most Maxima's unless they're modded are going to have a heck of a time beating one. Now the guy you raced may have been an auto and also with him having 2 guys with him that slows his car down a bit. But either way you won so nice kill.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:49 AM

Re: I 'll proly get much flames for this ....

Originally posted by woosh
but,

One night late coming home had two runs with a goldish debadged WRX w/two guys vs only me (A quick glance at shoulders up, says were all same build).

first run I took off first thru the left lane opening we were already going 60+, he managed to get close until 80+, then past 90+ he began to fade, but chased me til 110+. He never caught me at all. OD/on

2nd run He took off first thru the right side opening, I was right behind him but gunned it a little late cause I didn't wanna run into his back. We were locked about a car length apart (thats how the race started) up until upper 80'ies. By around low 90'ies I was right beside him. held up the peace sign as I flew by. Ran it up til 110+ again. He wouldn't look over after that OD/on

btw. He started it, was flying by me then matched speed and revved both of them looking over at me in my six(aka smackdown)

boosted dreams
woosh

nice kill. u have any mods in ur ride or did you kill them with stock only? anyone know what kind of mods would be needed to take out a WRX with ease? (yeah I know a supercharger would do )
Old 05-13-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
There was a new dyno figure for WRX's in SCC magazine. They previously had a comparison with a bunch of modded WRX's and stock they got about 145hp. Now they are saying it was a dyno error and you should see around 165 hp. The 2k2 6spd Maximas dyno at 205hp as well all know, so a race from a roll should be in our favor.

Jesse
i better go get a rear strut bar first
Old 05-13-2002, 12:50 PM

2K A/T: Mods at the time: L 10 tranny, udp, custom intake, kittyman 2.5" Y-Pipe, test pipe, 2.5" mid pipe, stock muffler, eibachs.

Prelude I/H/E: 00 5spd, 1-2 car length win for Maxima, ran 7 times, 0-80, during high speed run, I got cut off by my limited @ 133mph, while he was able to easily keep going to 140, but I was ahead for the entire stretch and no one gained or lost ground until I hit the limiter.
Prelude I/N20/E: Didn't know til it was too late.

WRX A/T Stock: Driving back w/ Confused from Hempstead Turnpike, spotted a WRX, my run w/ him on a 50mph roll, whoever got on it first would win, but the WRX would die by 80-90, and I'd pull ahead.
Confused's run w/ the WRX was amusing, let the WRX gun it, and as soon as he punched it, he would walk him right away.

WRX M/T: INJEN CAI + STi Rear Section. 65-120mph I was able to reel him in, and pass him by 1/2 a car length.
WRX M/T: I had Nitrous, I was able to reel him in my 50mph, took me off the launch and able to juice from 4000rpm-6500 in 1st + 2nd, manually shifting which allowed me to hold gear and rpms to surpass my cut off rpm for 1-2 shift, by 2nd gear I was on juice and hauled on him, by 75 in a 35 zone = hit the brakes.

Old 05-13-2002, 04:04 PM

Ive race 3 different 5spd preludes about 2or 3 times each on different occasions. Firs one exaust and 18s beat him from stop to 100 by about 2 cars(I had a passenger so did he). Next raced a prlude with intake and pulleys from stop to bout 100 he had no passenger I had one. he walked me all the way to 100. Next prelude bdykit intake exhaust(maybe vtech controller), we both had passenger, raced from stop to about 90. beat em by about 3/4 car lenght.

And on the differnt times we race the results were almost identical except for the prelude with no passenger now had a passenger, we were even to 100< i inched ahead a tiny bit.
Im a/t with springs and only.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:01 PM

I own a 2k2 Max (4th Max overall) which I traded in on my 2k2 WRX a month ago.

If I didnt kill my back I would still have the WRX. For short distance raceing or twisty roads paved or not the WRX is very quick and very fun. But after about 80 it dosnt have the HP in stock or modified form to hold off a stock or lightly modified Max.

I will say this though if you wana run 0 to 60 or roling starts someone lke me will kill you to 80 with a WRX rev to 5K dump and hold on is accurate. after that you can have me for dinner I have tried to run top end and people can pull from you easly but in the WRX I will say it was more comfortable between 110 and 140 than my 92 300z Twin turbo. The car is damn responsive.

As for the prelude they can move with the right parts but stock both the WRX and Max will kill it.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:21 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

my run with a WRX

My very first race in SusieQ was with a WRX. I had his azz until the last stretch, he only beat my by his front fender. I know I would have won if I manual shifted my AUTOMAGICAL. We both started from a stop and i think I pulled a whole car off the line, and the only reason he was able to beat me is that he had a manual. I have messed with a few on the freeway and if they are expecting it and have already downshifted, they will get the jump because the turbo's already spooled. They can even get the jump (in an auto) if you start at the bottom of 3rd, but by the end of 3rd you should have wheeled him in no problem. BTW I only have a OSCAI intake (but did not have it the first race).
Old 05-14-2002, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Chimp Dj
2K A/T: Mods at the time: L 10 tranny, udp, custom intake, kittyman 2.5" Y-Pipe, test pipe, 2.5" mid pipe, stock muffler, eibachs.

Prelude I/H/E: 00 5spd, 1-2 car length win for Maxima, ran 7 times, 0-80, during high speed run, I got cut off by my limited @ 133mph, while he was able to easily keep going to 140, but I was ahead for the entire stretch and no one gained or lost ground until I hit the limiter.
Prelude I/N20/E: Didn't know til it was too late.

WRX A/T Stock: Driving back w/ Confused from Hempstead Turnpike, spotted a WRX, my run w/ him on a 50mph roll, whoever got on it first would win, but the WRX would die by 80-90, and I'd pull ahead.
Confused's run w/ the WRX was amusing, let the WRX gun it, and as soon as he punched it, he would walk him right away.

WRX M/T: INJEN CAI + STi Rear Section. 65-120mph I was able to reel him in, and pass him by 1/2 a car length.
WRX M/T: I had Nitrous, I was able to reel him in my 50mph, took me off the launch and able to juice from 4000rpm-6500 in 1st + 2nd, manually shifting which allowed me to hold gear and rpms to surpass my cut off rpm for 1-2 shift, by 2nd gear I was on juice and hauled on him, by 75 in a 35 zone = hit the brakes.
damn i need to get those mods still How's that Nitrous working for you? Was thinking of getting that someday.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by ChillWill2000
Ive race 3 different 5spd preludes about 2or 3 times each on different occasions. Firs one exaust and 18s beat him from stop to 100 by about 2 cars(I had a passenger so did he). Next raced a prlude with intake and pulleys from stop to bout 100 he had no passenger I had one. he walked me all the way to 100. Next prelude bdykit intake exhaust(maybe vtech controller), we both had passenger, raced from stop to about 90. beat em by about 3/4 car lenght.

And on the differnt times we race the results were almost identical except for the prelude with no passenger now had a passenger, we were even to 100< i inched ahead a tiny bit.
Im a/t with springs and only.
yeah i almost have the same mods as you, and that's the results i wanted to hear.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: WRX & Prelude 2K+ VS Max 2K+

Originally posted by Stranger808
I own a 2k2 Max (4th Max overall) which I traded in on my 2k2 WRX a month ago.

If I didnt kill my back I would still have the WRX. For short distance raceing or twisty roads paved or not the WRX is very quick and very fun. But after about 80 it dosnt have the HP in stock or modified form to hold off a stock or lightly modified Max.

I will say this though if you wana run 0 to 60 or roling starts someone lke me will kill you to 80 with a WRX rev to 5K dump and hold on is accurate. after that you can have me for dinner I have tried to run top end and people can pull from you easly but in the WRX I will say it was more comfortable between 110 and 140 than my 92 300z Twin turbo. The car is damn responsive.

As for the prelude they can move with the right parts but stock both the WRX and Max will kill it.

wow, both you and RobsAE are saying the same thing. I honestly thought the WRX would be better "overall". Reason i'm asking all this is because there is a WRX in my neighborhood, worried he might try to race me so I need to be prepared.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:08 AM

damn i need to get those mods still How's that Nitrous working for you? Was thinking of getting that someday.
Nitrous is bad, very bad. Nitrous = cheating.
True boost or no boost at all

Old 05-14-2002, 06:47 PM
2K1HoMax

Nitrous is bad, very bad. Nitrous = cheating.
True boost or no boost at all
yea i also consider nos cheating, but if u think of it its more or a self defense , just incase ur gonna lose, then hit the switch, but most people dont use it in that fasion, but oh well its still leaves u with a satisfying feeling when u race some1 with nos and they still coulndt beat u

Old 05-14-2002, 07:03 PM

boost is boost is boost.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

yea i also consider nos cheating, but if u think of it its more or a self defense , just incase ur gonna lose, then hit the switch, but most people dont use it in that fasion, but oh well its still leaves u with a satisfying feeling when u race some1 with nos and they still coulndt beat u
yeah i'm down to use it for defense purposes only.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:47 PM

Bost

Nitrous
Supercharger
Turbocharger
and proper engine building

All Legitimat ways of increaseing power

If you have a problem with one that is a personal issue but all can be used reliably and safely with a little education. Just as all can very quickly destroy an engin.

It is a matter of Education and application.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:18 PM

I was out last night with my friend who owns a wrx. We've raced from everything -- 0, 25, 50, 100...and he beat me every time. I drive a auto 2k with an intake, and he has a splitter on his scoop.

As for preludes, I've raced a few (mostly stock or just a little rice) and never had problems winning. They keep up but they aren't amazingly fast.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:54 PM

...Carry Nitrous, Just In Case...(MACE Spoof.)

Lose or not, I honestly hate the fact on how addictive nitrous got to me, and I was happy for a few months, then realized how much I spent, then I wasn't so happy.

Old 05-15-2002, 08:07 PM
2K1HoMax

...Carry Nitrous, Just In Case...(MACE Spoof.)

Lose or not, I honestly hate the fact on how addictive nitrous got to me, and I was happy for a few months, then realized how much I spent, then I wasn't so happy.
just curious, since the nos install u got have u noticed any changes in the way the tranny acts, and also how big of a shot r u running, 75? 100? i know u gotta uprage the fuel pump to 255lph if u go4 100 shot. and r u runnin wet or dry system???? just q few questions for a curious auto owner til the s/c get in place, the nos should hold off the power bug(i hope) even with the intake and y-pipe my car feels normal to me, i get used to power way to fast, need more of it

Old 05-15-2002, 08:23 PM

just curious, since the nos install u got have u noticed any changes in the way the tranny acts, and also how big of a shot r u running, 75? 100? i know u gotta uprage the fuel pump to 255lph if u go4 100 shot. and r u runnin wet or dry system???? just q few questions for a curious auto owner til the s/c get in place, the nos should hold off the power bug(i hope) even with the intake and y-pipe my car feels normal to me, i get used to power way to fast, need more of it
NOS #5124 Dry, I used Z32TT Pump.
My tranny was built for abuse.

Don't come back here when you complain about your car is not running right w/ Nitrous.

Do the search and find the N2O Heads, and contact them...the infamous sx7r crew

Old 05-15-2002, 09:06 PM
2K1HoMax

Don't come back here when you complain about your car is not running right w/ Nitrous.

looks like imma have to wait til i get my level10 trans, then ill go 4 the juicedboost...

Old 05-16-2002, 06:13 AM

looks like imma have to wait til i get my level10 trans, then ill go 4 the juicedboost...
To help you some more, contact "Synki" or "sx7r", his car was badass...4th gen A/T w/ 100shot, Dons' VB was all thats needed.
I daily drive my car, 73K miles since 9/99. My tranny goes through alot, especially in NYC, I need a HD tranny the way I drive, but doesn't hurt to over do it a bit.

Old 05-16-2002, 06:26 PM
2K1HoMax

To help you some more, contact "Synki" or "sx7r", his car was badass...4th gen A/T w/ 100shot, Dons' VB was all thats needed.
I daily drive my car, 73K miles since 9/99. My tranny goes through alot, especially in NYC, I need a HD tranny the way I drive, but doesn't hurt to over do it a bit.
over do it??? no no no, im gonna have to do that in order for the tranny to stay in one place, startin the end of this yr gonna tear the ride down, and build it up, from the motor, to the s/c w/2.62 and the juice as well, goin for the whole 9 yards, ill keep it as a weekend car but cant wait to see what kinda power i can make this max pump out, its gonna be a beast only down side is the cash and the completion date of appox middle of 2004

Old 05-16-2002, 06:54 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I ran dead even with a stock WRX in my 4th Gen 5spd from 30-80 when I had to shut down for traffic. When I say dead even, I mean dead even too.

Hogan knew the guy and said that he was trying but was loaded down with some cargo in the trunk (100lb or so) that he was taking back up to NY (from the MD/VA/DC area) so he wasn't as fast as he could have been. But to be honest, I'm a big guy myself and probably outweighed the driver by at least that much if not more so I think it was probably a reasonably fair race machine vs. machine.

If I had only remembered to turn off my damned A/C I might have actually pulled on him!

But anyways, WRX's are very dangerous from a stop if the driver is willing to abuse their drivetrain, but not so dangerous from a roll as indicated by their relatively low 1/4 mile trap speeds (90 flat I think)
Old 05-16-2002, 06:56 PM

what about a 50 shot with no mods? u think a 2K Max can take the abuse?
Old 05-17-2002, 05:11 AM

over do it??? no no no, im gonna have to do that in order for the tranny to stay in one place, startin the end of this yr gonna tear the ride down, and build it up, from the motor, to the s/c w/2.62 and the juice as well, goin for the whole 9 yards, ill keep it as a weekend car but cant wait to see what kinda power i can make this max pump out, its gonna be a beast only down side is the cash and the completion date of appox middle of 2004
I can see your pulleys melting now or other problems w/ STILLEN's S/C Kit.

Old 05-17-2002, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I ran dead even with a stock WRX in my 4th Gen 5spd from 30-80 when I had to shut down for traffic. When I say dead even, I mean dead even too.

Hogan knew the guy and said that he was trying but was loaded down with some cargo in the trunk (100lb or so) that he was taking back up to NY (from the MD/VA/DC area) so he wasn't as fast as he could have been. But to be honest, I'm a big guy myself and probably outweighed the driver by at least that much if not more so I think it was probably a reasonably fair race machine vs. machine.

If I had only remembered to turn off my damned A/C I might have actually pulled on him!

But anyways, WRX's are very dangerous from a stop if the driver is willing to abuse their drivetrain, but not so dangerous from a roll as indicated by their relatively low 1/4 mile trap speeds (90 flat I think)
I am able to stay on a WRX's rear and catch them by nearly 70mph from a dead start. On the roll, I pull on them hard, except for the dudes who are BPU++ or APU.(That was not pretty.)
Steve, wanna run him again ?
13.04 @ 107mph 60ft of 1.9

Old 05-17-2002, 05:18 AM

what about a 50 shot with no mods? u think a 2K Max can take the abuse?
Honestly I have no clue, but it will depend on your tranny's condition.

Auto might not handle it too well, but manual can.

Old 05-17-2002, 08:14 AM
2K1HoMax

I can see your pulleys melting now or other problems w/ STILLEN's S/C Kit.
who else makes s/c for the max then if there is i honestly havent heard of it unless its s custom made one, havent had much luck searching either so fill me in w/ some info here....

Old 05-17-2002, 02:19 PM

Stop day dreaming

Yo Trunksu,
How are u ganna race a WRX in your neighborhood if you have a speed bump every 50 meter.
By the way, let me know when the light gets there.

Quick Reply: WRX & Prelude 2K+ VS Max 2K+