5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Retinting

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Retinting

what's up guys.....i got a littel prob i had a tint done on my car about a year ago and it has turned purple...the dealer agreed to retint the whole car but will it mess up my defroster and/or my antenna since they are built into the rear window?? thanks
Old 05-13-2002, 02:11 PM

Re: Retinting

I have the same question... I have no idea why my rear window is turning purple. I only washed it once with warm water.. My rear window is the only window that has turned purple. Who knows..maybe the sun is fading the tint.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Retinting

Originally posted by maximaman14
I have the same question... I have no idea why my rear window is turning purple. I only washed it once with warm water.. My rear window is the only window that has turned purple. Who knows..maybe the sun is fading the tint.

Yea mine is pretty much just teh rear window....but the dealer agreed to do the whole thing so i figured might as well....but my dad told me not to do it becuase they might mess it up so im trying to figure what exactly to do..?? anyone know
Old 05-13-2002, 02:19 PM

Re: Retinting

From what I heard it is cheap film that turns purple. Make sure that they use better film (with metal in it) that shouldn't be turning purple.

Originally posted by 00SEMAX
what's up guys.....i got a littel prob i had a tint done on my car about a year ago and it has turned purple...the dealer agreed to retint the whole car but will it mess up my defroster and/or my antenna since they are built into the rear window?? thanks
Old 05-13-2002, 02:19 PM

i went through the whole re-tinting process...

the back stock tint from nisssan turns purple YES...
it's not your fault, its just cheap tints..
when you take off your old tints, do it slowly and have lots of patience. you dont want to risk messing up your window defroster.
just have it done somewhere professional if anything.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Retinting

I just had my tint pulled off last week...I wanted it darker than the 35% that it was. As long as you find someone with enough time/patience to do it, it will come out fine. They will probably need to use a small razor to get in between the lines of the defroster and the radio antenna inside the rear window as well.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:12 PM

I used to tint windows, and I must say that it's a nightmare to remove the tint off the back window. I can remove tint from all 4 side windows, plus the front winshield in 1/2 the time it takes to remove the rear glass. Don't be shocked or afraid, it can be done, but definitely ask the shop/installer if they have ever done it before, and if they did or did not re-tint the window. You wanna find an installer who removed the tint and did NOT put new tint on, as this means it had to be a perfect job.

As for the purple color, this can be caused by a few things. The first is cheap tint. Do NOT get any tint that doesn't come with a lifetime warranty against color changes. Pay the extra $15-30 for a metallized film, as it will look better, last longer, and not need cleaning as much (unless you smoke). Second, don't clean the tint or glass with anything but soap and water. NO GLASS CLEANERS OR AMMONIA. Glass cleaners and ammonia KILL tint color, and make them turn purple. Even the metallized film. Even if they say they won't. They do. It just takes longer for you to notice it. Instead, use the best glass cleaner in the world available (for $2.99 for like 10+ gallons worth)... Johnson's & Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Mix it up with water and shake in a bottle. Then spray on, and wipe off with an old t-shirt or a squeegee (is that how it's spelled?). We use a solution similar to that to clean the glass when the tint is applied, and there can be NO dirt marks, or else they will show up in the glass forever.

Other than that, ask to see some of the installer's work BEFORE letting them do your car. They should have done their own car, or should be working on someone's car when you go to their shop.

Hope this helps.