5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I am the luckiest man alive-almost died

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 07:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am the luckiest man alive-almost died

I'm in the right lane (of 3), heading S. My lane opened up, and I gunned it to pass all the cars in the middle lane, so I could pull into the middle.

I passed the cars (hitting about 80MHP), and pulled into the middle lane... I looked up and was 20 ft. from a red light. I slammed the brakes. Realizing I couldn't stop, I tried to turn right and slide into a right hand turn. My wheels wouldn't grip, I slid across the 2 lanes of W-bound traffic-luckily no cars where there.

My car now turning slightly, jumped the median (about a 4" tall, 2 ft. wide) and flew between the bumpers of 2 cars in the east bound left turn lane, and then into the straight lanes of the east bound traffic. My car finally slid to a stop up against the parked cars on the far side of the east bound lanes. I hadn't touched a single car.

Pointed the wrong way, I quickly took off, heading W down the E-bound lanes, until I found an opening in the median to cross over to the W-bound. I got off on a side street and parked, to catch my breath. I checked my car over and the only damage was that I knocked the front wheels out of alignment, when I jumped the median while turning.

I thanked God for sparing everyones' life, and my car.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:25 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: I am the luckiest man alive-almost died

Originally posted by Stikya
I'm in the right lane (of 3), heading S. My lane opened up, and I gunned it to pass all the cars in the middle lane, so I could pull into the middle.

I passed the cars (hitting about 80MHP), and pulled into the middle lane... I looked up and was 20 ft. from a red light. I slammed the brakes. Realizing I couldn't stop, I tried to turn right and slide into a right hand turn. My wheels wouldn't grip, I slid across the 2 lanes of W-bound traffic-luckily no cars where there.

My car now turning slightly, jumped the median (about a 4" tall, 2 ft. wide) and flew between the bumpers of 2 cars in the east bound left turn lane, and then into the straight lanes of the east bound traffic. My car finally slid to a stop up against the parked cars on the far side of the east bound lanes. I hadn't touched a single car.

Pointed the wrong way, I quickly took off, heading W down the E-bound lanes, until I found an opening in the median to cross over to the W-bound. I got off on a side street and parked, to catch my breath. I checked my car over and the only damage was that I knocked the front wheels out of alignment, when I jumped the median while turning.

I thanked God for sparing everyones' life, and my car.
thank god that you didn't hurt anybody or yourself and hope your car is ok
Old 05-16-2002, 07:39 AM

Re: I am the luckiest man alive-almost died

you were very lucky not to have seriously damaged your car, but more importantly, not to have hurt anyone. dont you hate cars that make you wanna drive too fast?
Old 05-16-2002, 07:47 AM

SLOW DOWN

I'm glad you didn't die, but damn! What's your problem? There is absolutely no need to be going 80mph weaving through traffic on a street with lights. Was the speed limit 35?

I will admit that I enjoy driving aggressively, but I always stay safe. You're right, you could've killed yourself. Worse, you could've killed someone else and had to live with it.

Sorry to preach, but I hope you learned your lesson will tone it down.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No luck is that good. The man upstairs must have been watching over you for you not to have touched any other car and live through that. Be careful. We don't need any less Org members.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:51 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Glad you're alright.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:57 AM

Re: SLOW DOWN

Originally posted by noflash
I'm glad you didn't die, but damn! What's your problem? There is absolutely no need to be going 80mph weaving through traffic on a street with lights. Was the speed limit 35?

I will admit that I enjoy driving aggressively, but I always stay safe. You're right, you could've killed yourself. Worse, you could've killed someone else and had to live with it.

Sorry to preach, but I hope you learned your lesson will tone it down.
Yea, 35 was the limit. I've never caused a wreck, in my 14 years of driving aggressively; so I considered myself a crazy yet excellent driver. I felt like I could do anything, and always be in control, because I never made mistakes. I don't think that as much any more. I definetly have plans to cool it down on city streets.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:02 AM

Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Yea, 35 was the limit. I've never caused a wreck, in my 14 years of driving aggressively; so I considered myself a crazy yet excellent driver. I felt like I could do anything, and always be in control, because I never made mistakes. I don't think that as much any more. I definetly have plans to cool it down on city streets.
Glad to hear it. Sorry if I was harsh. I guess we all get a reality check once and awhile. Maybe you should get a Volvo T5.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:16 AM

Lesson learned?
This hyper agressive driving in traffic has resulted in several wrecks that were admitted to in the past several months. I think those who own up here are to be commended. Buy telling the story I hope they are sharing the conseqences of bad decisions for the benefit of members. We need to realize what will eventually happen based on the odds of everything going your way in a risky, life threatening maneuver.
For instance you cannot whip between two slower cars too many times before disaster strikes. It is only a matter of time and unknown odds.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:19 AM

You certainly had your guardien Angel in the car!! Glad no one was hurt! Please be carefull next time. Learn from your mistakes, Life is too short, man. May the Force be with you!
Old 05-16-2002, 09:07 AM
Banned

Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

I definetly have plans to cool it down on city streets.
err, how about all public streets?
Old 05-16-2002, 09:11 AM

you lucky little sh*t, you coulda killed someone!!!

just playing with you man......glad you're alright
Old 05-16-2002, 09:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Originally posted by dave

err, how about all public streets?
Well, now, all modders race out on the open road. Tis part of the reason we spend all the money for the performance upgrades. But, from now on, I'll just make sure I have an open stretch of road and the only cars around me are any that I am racing-that way everyone involved is consiously choosing to take on the risks.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:44 AM

80mph in local? man......glad everything and everyone are ok
Old 05-16-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Well, now, all modders race out on the open road. Tis part of the reason we spend all the money for the performance upgrades. But, from now on, I'll just make sure I have an open stretch of road and the only cars around me are any that I am racing-that way everyone involved is consiously choosing to take on the risks.
Your last comment seems to say you haven't learned anything at all from this experience.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Originally posted by Magellan
Your last comment seems to say you haven't learned anything at all from this experience.
As soon as I read it I knew it was coming. There are many members who believe racing is for the track only. I have seen a thread die quickly b/c a member made reference to a friend being killed as a bystander b/c of street racing.

Can you safely race that mustang for two blocks from the red? Yes. Can an old lady turn into your lane, because she didn't know you were racing yes. Is this a touchy subject? YES.

Somehow, I believe that when driving, 99% of us know if we are being safe or reckless. You can drive aggressively AND defensively.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

I've learned there is a time a place for going fast, if you choose to do it. It's on an open stretch of highway, with only cars and people around that are choosing to race. The risk is lower (than a busy city street) and the risk only exists only for those that want it. No one innocent is involved.

So, I will still take risks with myself I have that right. But, I will reduce it (by using a more suitable location) and I will not involve anyone innocent. That is what I feel is key, and I have learned.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

As soon as I read it I knew it was coming. There are many members who believe racing is for the track only. I have seen a thread die quickly b/c a member made reference to a friend being killed as a bystander b/c of street racing.

Can you safely race that mustang for two blocks from the red? Yes. Can an old lady turn into your lane, because she didn't know you were racing yes. Is this a touchy subject? YES.

Somehow, I believe that when driving, 99% of us know if we are being safe or reckless. You can drive aggressively AND defensively.
Yes, I'm one of those members who believes racing is for the track only. It's a matter of risk. The risk is certainly higher when racing compared to when not racing, regardless of a driver's cocky belief in his or her skill. There are just too many factors out of the driver's control. On the track, everyone assumes this risk so I have no problem with it. But on the street it's fundamentally unfair for that old lady to loose her property, or life for that matter, based on the racer's willingness to take a risk. She did not agree to take this extra risk and should not have to pay for it.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Yes, I'm one of those members who believes racing is for the track only. It's a matter of risk. The risk is certainly higher when racing compared to when not racing, regardless of a driver's cocky belief in his or her skill. There are just too many factors out of the driver's control. On the track, everyone assumes this risk so I have no problem with it. But on the street it's fundamentally unfair for that old lady to loose her property, or life for that matter, based on the racer's willingness to take a risk. She did not agree to take this extra risk and should not have to pay for it.
Everything you stated is true, but I'll bet you understand the urge too.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:30 AM

I've learned there is a time a place for going fast, if you choose to do it. It's on an open stretch of highway, with only cars and people around that are choosing to race. The risk is lower (than a busy city street) and the risk only exists only for those that want it. No one innocent is involved.

So, I will still take risks with myself I have that right. But, I will reduce it (by using a more suitable location) and I will not involve anyone innocent. That is what I feel is key, and I have learned.
Your position has a flaw. Just like you didn't see the red light ahead, you cannot guarantee that the road on which you intend to race is free from innocents or other conditions that will cause an accident that involves others. Unless your Maxima is equipped with radar, infra-red displays, long range night vision or helicopter readouts from above you cannot be sure that the road conditions are free of risk to others, especially when traveling in excess of 80 mph.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Everything you stated is true, but I'll bet you understand the urge too.
Yes I do. And I will confess that I did my share of street racing years ago in my old Porsche. Somehow I lived through it without killing anyone. But now, as an old fuddy-duddy, I fear that not everyone here will be so lucky.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:39 AM

I beg to differ. There are many sections of divided highway (w/ concrete barriers), in my area, that are long and straight, 3 or 4 lanes, on which you can see no entry ramps for a mile or more.

This is plenty of room to race to high speeds and back down before anyone else can enter the road (including cops). You just have to choose your spots wisely.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:49 AM

I beg to differ. There are many sections of divided highway (w/ concrete barriers), in my area, that are long and straight, 3 or 4 lanes, on which you can see no entry ramps for a mile or more.

This is plenty of room to race to high speeds and back down before anyone else can enter the road (including cops). You just have to choose your spots wisely.
here we go...
Old 05-16-2002, 11:24 AM
Banned

So, I will still take risks with myself I have that right.
You may have the ability to, but no, you do not have the right to speed on public roads. Whether you feel it is safe or not, you do not have that right. The majority of the public feel it is unsafe, and if caught you may lose your right to drive altogether.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:44 AM

You may have the ability to, but no, you do not have the right to speed on public roads. Whether you feel it is safe or not, you do not have that right. The majority of the public feel it is unsafe, and if caught you may lose your right to drive altogether.
Actually, I wrote that I have the right to take risks w/ myself-and I do have that right. I merely choose to use my ability to speed to utilize that right. And, yes, the govering bodies have the right to punish me if I get caught.

And, if the majority of the public feels it is unsafe to speed, why do they do it? I always get passed by more cars then I'm passing, when I drive just over the limit. That would lead me to believe more people are speeding, than not. And if it's ok for someone to choose to go 4 MPH over, why not 8?, why not 15?, why not XX?

So, I think the law dictates that we are not to "speed"; but I am not convinced the majority of the public agrees with that.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

Don't you think if you drive in a manner the puts you screeching though an intersection, over a median and in the other lane of traffic, that you should re-evaulate your daily driving habits?

I catch myself tailing people too much. A few times on side streets, people pull over because they think I'm ****ed or just want to let that "tailgating butthole" past.

Actually, I wrote that I have the right to take risks w/ myself-and I do have that right. I merely choose to use my ability to speed to utilize that right. And, yes, the govering bodies have the right to punish me if I get caught.

And, if the majority of the public feels it is unsafe to speed, why do they do it? I always get passed by more cars then I'm passing, when I drive just over the limit. That would lead me to believe more people are speeding, than not. And if it's ok for someone to choose to go 4 MPH over, why not 8?, why not 15?, why not XX?

So, I think the law dictates that we are not to "speed"; but I am not convinced the majority of the public agrees with that.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Don't you think if you drive in a manner the puts you screeching though an intersection, over a median and in the other lane of traffic, that you should re-evaulate your daily driving habits?

I catch myself tailing people too much. A few times on side streets, people pull over because they think I'm ****ed or just want to let that "tailgating butthole" past.

Thank you for lightening things up. I think he just needs stickier tires.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Absolutely. As my earlier posts indicated I did reevaluate my daily driving habits, and which ones need to be changed-mainly the ones that involve high speeds in areas of traffic or peds. Ones where I am putting the innocent at risk are now out.

But, if I see an open stretch of highway w/ no traffic (or only another racer who chooses to put himself at risk also) I'm going to hit it and run until I feel that we are no longer being safe.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:34 PM

Stikya is guided by the mistaken belief that he can guarantee the risk only to himself while racing under certain conditions. Of course, he cannot. His own story that started this thread proves him wrong. But he wants to race, and has justified it by describing a scenario where there is no risk except to himself. It's as foolish as the belief that the Titanic was unsinkable.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:43 PM

Stikya is guided by the mistaken belief that he can guarantee the risk only to himself while racing under certain conditions. Of course, he cannot. His own story that started this thread proves him wrong. But he wants to race, and has justified it by describing a scenario where there is no risk except to himself. It's as foolish as the belief that the Titanic was unsinkable.
Mag, the Titanic? You are showing your age - Kidding!
Old 05-16-2002, 12:44 PM

You are mistaken that I believed I could guarantee others safety under the scenario which started the thread. I never said that, or thought it. I had just never faced the question, or even thought about it the potential of hurting anyone. I realize, now, that I was seriously jeopardizing many peoples' safety under those conditions.

But, yes, I do believe that under certain conditions, out on the open road you can speed and only jeopardize yourself-it would be when no one else is around.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Banned

I realize, now, that I was seriously jeopardizing many peoples' safety under those conditions.
so it seems you learn only from experience. that's a shame.

and you may have the right to take risks to yourself, but not on public roads, recklessly speeding, whether you feel it's safe or not. public roads involve the public not just yourself.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:06 PM
lcf

stop bagging on the guy bc he likes to drive his fast car fast. people will do it, so what. driving is always a risk. whether or not someone chooses to minimize some of those risks is up to the individual.

its not like hes driving drunk.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lcf
stop bagging on the guy bc he likes to drive his fast car fast. people will do it, so what. driving is always a risk. whether or not someone chooses to minimize some of those risks is up to the individual.

its not like hes driving drunk.

so what? because you're endangering other people's lives. and you're not choosing to minimize a risk, you're choosing to maximize the risk of an already risky situation. smart.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:16 PM

so it seems you learn only from experience. that's a shame.

and you may have the right to take risks to yourself, but not on public roads, recklessly speeding, whether you feel it's safe or not. public roads involve the public not just yourself.
Obviously, we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

I fail to see how me driving on an empty stretch of road is jeopardizing anyone but myself. It may be a public road, but that doesn't mean any public is on it.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Guys, chances are if you are a member here, you drive spiritedly also on occassion. I don't think ANYONE here follows the law exactly.

Given what he did in the first post was pretty crazy, but he did just admit to "re-evaluating" his driving habits.

At least he posted his mistake and admited to say he was going to change. What more do you want?

Hell, if I posted some of the dumb stuff I do on the road(abeit not has extreme as the 1st post), I'm sure some would flame also.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:23 PM
lcf

so what? because you're endangering other people's lives. and you're not choosing to minimize a risk, you're choosing to maximize the risk of an already risky situation. smart.
so u want a cookie bc youre the safest driver on the org?

cmon, get off your high horse.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:24 PM

Boys will be boys...and Men will be men. We all love the rush of adrenaline when driving fast whether you admit it or not. Some are lucky and some just run out of luck...Seems like you had both. Obviously, the big man upstairs was watching you and it just wasn't your time... Glad you and everyone around are alright!
Old 05-16-2002, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lcf
so u want a cookie bc youre the safest driver on the org?

cmon, get off your high horse.

yeah, i'll take a cookie

and i'll agree to disagree. glad you, your car, and everyone else is ok.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:42 PM

yeah, i'll take a cookie

and i'll agree to disagree. glad you, your car, and everyone else is ok.
Yes, I'm very glad no one was hurt, I couldn't have lived w/ myself had I hurt someone. And I'm definetly going to drive much more carefully, and thoughtfully, when others are around. So, at the very least, the road will be a bit safer now that I've learned a lesson-everyone makes mistakes and they could effect someone else.

I think we could all be a little more considerate and thoughtful of others when we drive; but still have some fun now and again.

Quick Reply: I am the luckiest man alive-almost died