5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Research

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 05:58 AM

2K2 Research

Hey all...great site and forum. I found I get a discount on Nissans through work. The wife has decided a car would be more practical than the Tacoma Xtra cab 4x4 I've been driving. Started looking into and really liking the Max. (Lots of good info here BTW!) Just about set to get a Max, but some of the things I've been reading are starting to concern me. Basically I'm looking for something that'll get me to work everyday and not be a "problem child". The Max appears to be the perfect fit, plus I'll do it with style and comfort. What I'm concerned about are some of the issues discussed, like; problems starting; paint chipping; having to run premium unleaded gas; poor dealership/service. This last one being a biggie. having been a "Toyota man", and having great service....this one scares me. We've moved to Colorado from Calif, and I don't know any independent mechanics to trust so I rely on the dealer. Any thoughts on any of these issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-19-2002, 07:23 AM

Re: 2K2 Research

Originally posted by mm7759
Hey all...great site and forum. I found I get a discount on Nissans through work. The wife has decided a car would be more practical than the Tacoma Xtra cab 4x4 I've been driving. Started looking into and really liking the Max. (Lots of good info here BTW!) Just about set to get a Max, but some of the things I've been reading are starting to concern me. Basically I'm looking for something that'll get me to work everyday and not be a "problem child". The Max appears to be the perfect fit, plus I'll do it with style and comfort. What I'm concerned about are some of the issues discussed, like; problems starting; paint chipping; having to run premium unleaded gas; poor dealership/service. This last one being a biggie. having been a "Toyota man", and having great service....this one scares me. We've moved to Colorado from Calif, and I don't know any independent mechanics to trust so I rely on the dealer. Any thoughts on any of these issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
i love my maxima.. best bang for the buck. as per the problems,

1) problems starting only occur in a few select cars, no prob on mine
2) paint chipping, yes this is on all maximas, very weak paint (im dissapointed here, but hey... if you want good paint, buy a benz)
3) i run atleast a 90 octane in my car.. rising gas prices is taking a toll on my wallet (if u want a practicle commuter w/ high gas milage, go with a civic )
4) i dont have many complaints about my dealer, they replaced my warped clutch plates with a new clutch assy. the first time i took it to them

good luck car shopping
Old 05-19-2002, 08:57 AM
Very sound, Mike

I've got mine for 10 months now and my only complaints are the paint problems (which seems to have stopped chipping lately). If you get the 3M clearbra early on then the area that chips the most will be spared (front end) the horror.

In terms of gas, 90+ octane is recommended. You can get by with 89 but it's only suggested when there's no other available.

As with the dealership/service... it's a hit or miss situation. Here in Houston there's the good and the bad. I've been with Mossy Nissan from the start and have had nothing but good things to say about them.

With regards to all the other problems you've read about so far. Take note, people tend to post about the problems more than the good points of the car. I'd say, the ratio of people having problems to the number of people who bought Maxima's is 1:10 or more.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am one who hasn't had a problem with the chipping. My Assembly date was 12/01. I bought the car March 31/2202. Maybe the paint really had time to cure and harden? Not sure. But I have no chips.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Hobert
I am one who hasn't had a problem with the chipping. My Assembly date was 12/01. I bought the car March 31/2202. Maybe the paint really had time to cure and harden? Not sure. But I have no chips.
i would strongly suggest the 3M clearguard bra for the frontend of your max......before its too late....because you will see chips if not sooner than later.......
Old 05-19-2002, 05:09 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I ran 87 octane for my first 2500 miles. I had no problems. I just started using 91, but I see no difference. Personally after speaking to many people about it, Im just throwing away my money by buying the 91.....
Old 05-19-2002, 05:17 PM
Very sound, Mike

Kloog.. that's interesting to note. I had to put in Texaco 87 on my Max (3/4 tank) and immediately noticed the lack of pick-up at WOT.

It took several fill-ups of Chevron 93 before i noticed the car perform like it used to.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
Kloog.. that's interesting to note. I had to put in Texaco 87 on my Max (3/4 tank) and immediately noticed the lack of pick-up at WOT.

It took several fill-ups of Chevron 93 before i noticed the car perform like it used to.
I have found that 93 gives me a better feel and fuel economy on the trip puter and real figures (although they are both about the same on my car).
l8tr -- SS
Old 05-19-2002, 06:06 PM
OG and counting...

Before I got mine....

I looked at Kev's TSB thread and reminded the dealer that these items needed to be done. As far as the paint chipping is concerned, I am not getting it too badly (despite going through construction zones) but I am going to invest in an XPel Clear Bra for mine.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:06 PM
john2002max

I have owned my 2K2 6 speed since November and have had "NO" problems at all. Reliability has always been great for the maxima, and I believe it will continue to do very well. Paint chipping is a problem with every car, as well as mine. It seems like the first month you own a new car, your gonna pickup a paint chip! As for gas I run only 93, it seems to give me much better performance. The extra buck or two I pay at the pump, I make up in better gas milage. The Maxima is a great car! for the price you can't beat it!

Old 05-19-2002, 07:51 PM

What I'm concerned about are some of the issues discussed, like; problems starting; paint chipping; having to run premium unleaded gas; poor dealership/service.
I've had my 2K2 Se since Dec 2001 and so far no problems. I don't have one paint chip yet (maybe due to the paint protection treatment I bought but I'm not sure). However, it scratches like hell (you scrape a cardboard box on the rear bumper or elsewhere and it leaves a scratch that won't come off but this might also be because of the paint protection).

As for premium gas price, to me this is a non-issue. If you calculate the number of gallons you buy in a year and multiply it by the price difference (regular vs premium) you'll find that it's not that much. In my case it comes to about $250CDN/year which is about $170US/year. The Maxima is not 'cheap'. So if you can afford to buy it, the extra 'gas money' should not hinder your budget.

----------
Alain
2k2 MAX SE
Auto, Sterling Silver
Old 05-22-2002, 02:21 PM

2002 GLE, manufacture date in march, took delivery in may. i can't find a single paint chip on my car after 1400 miles (600 was a road trip - new york to boston and back). i'm keeping my fingers crossed, but maybe the later built cars were made with more resilient paint?

Originally posted by Hobert
Old 05-22-2002, 02:25 PM
Very sound, Mike

Would be nice if it's true. But judging from experiences of 5th gen owners (and other Nissan owners actually) Nissan is notorious for providing chip-happy coat of paint on their newer cars.

Originally posted by Young04
but maybe the later built cars were made with more resilient paint?
Old 05-22-2002, 02:52 PM

The Max is a great car and I have had every GEn from 2nd to 5th gen. Lots of cars now have paint problems because of the type of paint MFg's use now including Acura,Honda to name a few. Maximas run better on premium and it is something that most of us 4th and 5th gen owners put in our babies, nad if you want basic/parctical transportation get a Sentra or Civic or Base Altima not a Maxima.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

took delivery end of oct(da#n thieves)so no 6sp were out have a few paint chips with local driving. otherwise i have no gripes.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:36 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: 2K2 Research

Originally posted by 20 MAXIMA 02

4) i dont have many complaints about my dealer, they replaced my warped clutch plates with a new clutch assy. the first time i took it to them

good luck car shopping
What did your warped clutch plates feel like?

I get a shaking feeling(kinda liked warped brake rotors when stoping) when I barely let out the clutch to take off from a stop.

Is this similar?
Old 05-22-2002, 04:37 PM

I took delivery of my 6-banger SE in Dec 2001, and have been running ever since. I've owned a 3rd, 4th, and now a 5th gen max, and have been really impressed with all of them. I owned a Cadillac Catera Sport between the 4th and the 5th gen, and boy was it a long 2 years. I am glad to be back in the family. As far as gas goes, I've always put 92+ oct in mine, so prices don't really phase me. From dead empty (i know, i know, bad driver *spank*), my fill ups are around $23-25, based on $1.67 gas price for 93 octane. As far as reliability, I owned 3 maxes, have had service 3 times. The 5th gen went in for the clutch problem (it got replaced), and then a short-circuit in the tach light (it got replaced). The 4th gen didn't go in. Period. Ever. Except the normal maintainence. I put 49,000 miles on it too. And the 3rd gen went in for a faulty seat belt switch at 68,000 miles (replaced free - lifetime warranty on seatbelts). Other than that, no service needed other than the usual: tires, brakes, bath, wax, oil, and gas. Must say I've definitely been won over.