5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The final straw in the 2002 WRX VS 2002 Maxima SE debate

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The final straw in the 2002 WRX VS 2002 Maxima SE debate

I have followed this argument for a while, baffled to a large degree. The stock WRX will destroy the stock SE from a stand still, and the Maxima will eventually win from a roll when you get to high speeds. (That six speed is soo sweet, wonder why they did not put it into the Altima - wait because no one would buy the Maxima.) If you want to aruge that then put on your retarded person helmet real tight, because you are going to hurt yourself.

Now when it comes to modding the SE vs the WRX there is no debate. Especially since Turboxs.com just made a bolt on kit to bring the wrx to 365 hp at the crank ~270 at the wheels. (Stock is 227/~170). Granted that is going to cost 3-4 grand, but what can you do to the Maxima to make it compete for a similar amount of money? Even with $1000, you can get make the WRX have more crank HP than a Maxima.

Sure the cost of the two cars is now the same, so maybe the stock Maxima might be a better deal depending on what you want. I guess based on that you could make an argument that it is till the better car to mod (just be sure to reach for that helmet ) But it was not always like that.

When I bought my wrx last year (when this debate started) a SE cost 3-4k more. So it was a choice between the WRX and money to mod it or a SE. Sure the turboxs kit I mentioned and others like it did not exist yet, but there was enough stuff around to make a WRX faster than a SE. Nissan really settled this debate for us I think by lowering the cost of SE.

But still there are those of you that can't accept the existence of a faster car, and will blindly defend what you have. I probably would to if my car depreciated 3 grand in purchase price within half a year of my purchase.

Guys I am not a Maxima basher, I have friends on this board (some of whom I told to get the Maxima). Nevermind that, but my cousin had modded 3rd gen that was sweet. The SE is still a really sweet car combining luxory and speed. But the **** just ain't a sweet sports car, or a platform to build one on. The reason I posted is there are some people who hopefully care about the truth, are uninformed, and just want to know - well now you do!
Old 05-20-2002, 01:19 PM

Re: The final straw in the 2002 WRX VS 2002 Maxima SE debate

Yeah but with the problem there having with there transmissions, I would be hesitant to do the car up. And from what I know from Subaru, and also from a recent magazine article, Subaru voids all kinds of warranties, for aftermarket products
Old 05-20-2002, 01:20 PM
Very sound, Mike

Custom Turbo

Originally posted by Gandalf
but what can you do to the Maxima to make it compete for a similar amount of money?
Old 05-20-2002, 01:24 PM
Boost.....

I have followed this argument for a while, baffled to a large degree. The stock WRX will destroy the stock SE from a stand still, and the Maxima will eventually win from a roll when you get to high speeds. (That six speed is soo sweet, wonder why they did not put it into the Altima - wait because no one would buy the Maxima.) If you want to aruge that then put on your retarded person helmet real tight because you are going to hurt your self.

Now when it comes to modding the SE vs the WRX there is no debate. Especially since Turboxs.com just made a bolt on kit to bring the wrx to 365 hp, ~270 at the wheels. Granted that is going to cost 3-4 grand, but what can you do to the Maxima to make it compete for a similar amount of money?
Sure the cost of the two cars is now the same, but it was not always like that. When I bough my wrx a SE cost 3-4k more.
Retarded helmet!! I LOVE IT

They are TOTALLY NOT in the same class though. Max is WAY bigger than the WRX.

I still want to race one with someone elses WRX in my trunk...
Old 05-20-2002, 01:25 PM

I have followed this argument for a while, baffled to a large degree. The stock WRX will destroy the stock SE from a stand still, and the Maxima will eventually win from a roll when you get to high speeds. (That six speed is soo sweet, wonder why they did not put it into the Altima - wait because no one would buy the Maxima.) If you want to aruge that then put on your retarded person helmet real tight because you are going to hurt your self.

Now when it comes to modding the SE vs the WRX there is no debate. Especially since Turboxs.com just made a bolt on kit to bring the wrx to 365 hp, ~270 at the wheels. Granted that is going to cost 3-4 grand, but what can you do to the Maxima to make it compete for a similar amount of money?
Sure the cost of the two cars is now the same, but it was not always like that. When I bough my wrx a SE cost 3-4k more.
Yes, but who will have to buy a new clutch first!?!

Also, retard helmet on, a lot depends on the driver. I beat one off the line - no destruction for me. Are you a little defensive maybe?
Old 05-20-2002, 01:26 PM

You obviously do not do your research. Not that it matters, why would you come on another forum just to tell everyone something they already know? No one is disputing a WRX will win from a stop, and I don't think anyone cares. And for your information, since you refuse to look around this forum that you've come to troll on, for 3-4k you can put a maxima at 270hp to the wheels no problem. Steps are as follows..

1. Drive a 4th or 5th Gen Maxima
2. Buy a Stillen Supercharger Kit
3. Slap that sucker on with a smaller pulley
4. Eat WRX's for lunch.

And it's true, a well driven WRX can hit 14.0's all day at the track, but i've also seen modded ones run 16's. Of course we will never see a maxima running 11 sec ET's without insane quantities of cash put in, nor will we ever see an AWD maxima. But i'm just setting the facts straight here folks.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:34 PM
Boost.....

Re: Re: The final straw in the 2002 WRX VS 2002 Maxima SE debate

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

You obviously do not do your research. Not that it matters, why would you come on another forum just to tell everyone something they already know? No one is disputing a WRX will win from a stop, and I don't think anyone cares. And for your information, since you refuse to look around this forum that you've come to troll on, for 3-4k you can put a maxima at 270hp to the wheels no problem. Steps are as follows..

1. Drive a 4th or 5th Gen Maxima
2. Buy a Stillen Supercharger Kit
3. Slap that sucker on with a smaller pulley
4. Eat WRX's for lunch.

And it's true, a well driven WRX can hit 14.0's all day at the track, but i've also seen modded ones run 16's. Of course we will never see a maxima running 11 sec ET's without insane quantities of cash put in, nor will we ever see an AWD maxima. But i'm just setting the facts straight here folks.
HELL YEAH!!
Old 05-20-2002, 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Chinkzilla - you are an idiot. Maybe you should read the forum, for it seems most people are pretty dissatisfied with the supercharger. I read about more problems than praise. More importantly can you read? Get mommy to help here: there is no supercharger for the 2002 yet, not to mention any automatic.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

"most"?? Like who? And no supercharger for the automatic?? Better tell Y2Kev he had better take off his supercharger on his 300 fwdhp AUTOMATIC 2000 maxima because it doesn't fit??

Chinkzilla - you are an idiot. Maybe you should read the forum, for it seems most people are pretty dissatisfied with the supercharger. More importantly there is no supercharger for the 2002, not to mention any automatic.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:50 PM

Chinkzilla - you are an idiot. Maybe you should read the forum, for it seems most people are pretty dissatisfied with the supercharger. I read about more problems than praise. More importantly can you read? Get mommy to help here: there is no supercharger for the 2002 yet, not to mention any automatic.

Insert foot in mouth.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:51 PM

the WRX seems to be set up for magazine times and even then they only get those times by practically destroying the clutch and tranny--stop reading mags and go race at the track
Old 05-20-2002, 01:55 PM

You little biotch, don't come up in here crying like a pu$$y. If you're so bad, why are you crying so much? Maybe your little turbo isn't enough to make up for your own littleness?

Jeff! Are you mderator or what? This guy can't come in here and shouting insults, right?

Send him back to spankville!

The silent but deadly Moderator

Gandalf...

How long is this thread? I didnt know they stacked st*t that high!

no seriously, say whatever you want about maximas, start calling people idiots, I'll have to regulate...
Donating Maxima.org Member

You're obviously the idiot. Why would you start flaming for no reason? He didn't attack you. Some people aren't too happy with the Stillen SC but the key word is "some". There are others who have no complaints.

He also never mentioned the SC and a 2k2 in the same sentence. The SC on a 5th Gen (2k-2k1) will yield 270 hp's and up.
Newbie - Just Registered

Y2Kev has the sicket Maxima ever, not to mention one of the sweetest cars I have ever read about (gimme a ride). About the automatic my apologies I mispoke, it does exist but without a warranty. And in my book forced induction without even a backing from manufacturer may as wll not exist.

Drivers are always a key factor but I am assuming equal skill. I think the tranny issues are overstated, but definately do exist (hear that SOA?). It all depends about what you want but I am talking about speed not reliability.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:57 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

WRX's look like tissue boxes with eggs for headlights
Old 05-20-2002, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

*** EDIT ****

Hi, I didnt read the Terms of Service... Thank you, please drive thru

Old 05-20-2002, 02:01 PM

NuJersey****suck - maybe you should enroll in phonics with chinkzilla because the thread title is not WRX VS 5th gen. Chinkzilla changed the premise of the argument.
Can we get a moderation on this stinky Gonnoreadalf?
Old 05-20-2002, 02:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hmm so what about all the transmissions that break after 300 or so hp AFTER the factory warranty is over? I was lurking Iclub for some time, you guys get alot of aftermarket backing because there is alot or WRXs in ralley and other forms of racing. But I also notice at least 3-8 guys with broken trannies and at least that amount of dudes w/ blown up short blocks after they boosted their NA Subarus too high.

WRX and Maximas are completly different animals. To really compare them(and more importantly make a flame war from the comparision) is ridiculas. I could say, no matter what you did to the WRX, it won't be as confortable or will have the same amount of passenger or luggage room.

Y2Kev has the sicket Maxima ever, not to mention one of the sweetest cars I have ever read about (gimme a ride). About the automatic my apologies I mispoke, it does exist but without a warranty. And in my book forced induction without even a backing from manufacturer may as wll not exist.

Drivers are always a key factor but I am assuming equal skill. I think the tranny issues are overstated, but definately do exist (hear that SOA?). It all depends about what you want but I am talking about speed not reliability.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:03 PM

*** EDIT ****

Hi, I didnt read the Terms of Service... Thank you, please drive thru

Thanks for cleanin up!
Old 05-20-2002, 02:08 PM

Gandalf said: If you want to aruge that then put on your retarded person helmet real tight, because you are going to hurt yourself.

I destroyed a WRX with my "retarded helmet" this weekend. I can post the timeslip if you'd like. The WRX is slow, and you are slower. In different ways, but you get the point.

Gandalf said: what can you do to the Maxima to make it compete for a similar amount of money?

No money needed. The Maxima is already faster than the WRX plus we get leather and a sunroof stock. Go buy a vowel and leave the car talk to the folks in pants.

Gandalf said: (just be sure to reach for that helmet )

LOL. More nonsense from the resident trolling cross-dresser.

Gandalf said: But still there are those of you that can't accept the existence of a faster car, and will blindly defend what you have.

ROTFLMAO! Gandalf, before you go to bed tonight, don't forget to brush your other mouth.

Gandalf said: The reason I posted is there are some people who hopefully care about the truth, are uninformed, and just want to know - well now you do!

The WRX's , Gremlin looks, sloth-like top-end, cheap zippered seat covers and equivalent plastic carpet, small stature and limited visibility make the WRX one of the worst choices for a vehicle since Ford developed the assembly line. Print out that last sentence, repeat it ten times, then shove the piece of paper up your can as a reminder.

Too easy...

-Left
Old 05-20-2002, 02:09 PM

Real creative with the name calling Judging by that and your chosen name you must have the mental capacity of a 12 year old. Flame on, you're not worth my time
Old 05-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Jeff92 - Thank you for being the first to make sensible comments. I agree the WRX is a bug eyed match box. Driver comfort is great, but I would rather walk than sit it my back sweet at six+ feet tall.

I never meannt to say that the WRX or SE were in the same class. This post was started because of those on this board that say the 2002 SE is superior in all areas. My friend on this board and I have been wondering for months what the debate was about. Turboxs came out with that kit, so I thought I would post to give substance to the claims others made about the WRX in previous debates.

As for the provocative tittle, would you have read it otherwise?

Moderators: My apologies for violating TOS but I was attacked, so I lashed out.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:10 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

It's a friggin Subaru. You are running your mouth about a car that Paul Hogan endorses? I am laughing my *** off.

Your WRX may run a quicker quarter mile than a Max, but we'll be waiting for you at 100K miles...... So keep burning that engine up while she's under the Subaru "warranty".
Old 05-20-2002, 02:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys I am not a Maxima basher, I have friends on this board (some of whom I told to get the Maxima). Nevermind that, but my cousin had modded 3rd gen that was sweet. The SE is still a really sweet car combining luxory and speed.
From my first post...

I see why my friends are leaving this board, you most of you guys are too insecure to be objective.
The silent but deadly Moderator

everyone...

Dont care who started it.. stop with the attacks.. if you want to chat about the WRX AND Max, feel free... or else the whole thread gets flushed..
MaxtorBeater

Wow, the 2k2 owners are pretty ****ed. Well...I guess I would be too if the car I bought was about $9000 more than a wrx but now costs the exact same amount, if not less (the wrx price has remained constant btw). I wounder what happened to the 2k2 price? *cough* Altima *cough* *cough*

That otta get the flames roarin'

Happy viewing Gandalf!

Old 05-20-2002, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by MaxtorBeater
Wow, the 2k2 owners are pretty ****ed. Well...I guess I would be too if the car I bought was about $9000 more than a wrx but now costs the exact same amount, if not less (the wrx price has remained constant btw). I wounder what happened to the 2k2 price? *cough* Altima *cough* *cough*

That otta get the flames roarin'

Happy viewing Gandalf!
Wow, you guys are like bullies or something, huh? I don't know what you two's problem is. We all admit that stock, of the line, the Impreza will win. Mods and drivers change that a bit. No one's arguing that. But you two are just coming up in here talking trash like little ghetto kids. What gives man? You just want to spread the truth or smack?
Old 05-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you please show me where I spoke trash, without provocation? I just remember posting some facts and some praise then getting attacked. Maybe I am such a "ghetto kid" I am blind to it.

BTW who ever posted about the Gandalf twelve year old comment, you are not serious right? I mean Tolken defined a genre, a generation of readers some would say, but I guess if a Maxima owner doesn't like it...
Old 05-20-2002, 02:33 PM

Being that i just bought a 2k2.. HAVEN'T got delivery of it yet but this is what i feel about the topic.

THe suburu WRX is an incredible little car <====LITTLE is the key word.

When you pick up a WRX you are getting a compact awd turbo car with much higher up keep as a result of the turbo. And a car like that is usually purchased because you want to boot it alot. I actually considered the WRX, but it was only a few thousands cheaper and i personally think the older Imprezzas are a lot better looking.

I bought my 2k2 because its a luxury sports car, not a pure sports car with four doors. And the 2k2 is not much slower in stock form than a WRX, but we get HiD's, and a much luxury oriented interior.

Mind you the only thing that bothers me about the maxima is the handling. I am very unimpressed with the handling in stock form. But considering that i don't plan on racing the car for a while, i feel this car suited me nice.

I think WRX vs Maxima comparison is quite an odd comparison becuase of the fact that the WRX is a lot smaller, and less oriented towards luxury..

MAxima is a blend of luxury, sportiness and roominess, which is why it is very popular.

ED
Old 05-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Can you please show me where I spoke trash, without provocation? I just remember posting some facts and some praise then getting attacked. Maybe I am such a "ghetto kid" I am blind to it.

BTW who ever posted about the Gandalf twelve year old comment, you are not serious right? I mean Tolken defined a genre, a generation of readers some would say, but I guess if a Maxima owner doesn't like it...
Old 05-20-2002, 02:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Probably because you slanted your comments toward the WRX. "maxima will eventually pass it in the higher speeds". I don't know if that's entirely accurate. What if the wrx/maxima go from a 20mph roll from 1500rpm(or any rpm actually)? That's not high speeds but from even a low roll, the WRX's awd launch is not as great.

Now what if us maxima guys went over to the Scubie boards and started saying.."well you guys have turbos but no matter what, it's a less than pleasing to the eye, has an undersized input spline from the tranny, has a cheaper interior than it should for a WRX and it clutch failure prone to get decent 1/4 times." ??????

All fact right? But could you imagine the replies??

Old 05-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 05-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Very sound, Mike

I'd just like to clarify two things. True with the FI w/ warranty. However, you also have to take note that it is not a good comparo. WRX w/ stock turbo and a NA Max. If this were to be an equal and fair comparison a lot of other factors need to be leveled out.

At the very least, let's take the engines for example. To level things out. Let the WRX run w/o the Turbo. Or if you prefer, let the Max run with a turbo. (Theoretical leveling of the playing field).

Point being. There is just no comparing these two cars.

Performance-wise. The WRX may be quick but doesn't necessarily mean it's fast. The Max OTOH may not be the quickest of the bunch. But at a top speed of 145mph+ (drag and road limited) i wouldn't necessarily consider it slow either.

Additionally, i know there's been a lot of posts lately about WRX vs. Maxima but i have yet to see one wherein a poster specifically mentioned "My Maxima is superior to the WRX" in a serious tone of voice - which seems to be part-basis of your original post.

As for your statement on: "But still there are those of you that can't accept the existence of a faster car, and will blindly defend what you have. I probably would to if my car depreciated 3 grand in purchase price within half a year of my purchase. "

Personally, the way you posted that was an attack by itself to other members of this board. I don't take these seriously, but as life dictates... not everyone reacts like i do (And vice versa).

...And in my book forced induction without even a backing from manufacturer may as wll not exist... It all depends about what you want but I am talking about speed not reliability.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:07 PM

very sound, mike
Old 05-20-2002, 03:13 PM

heh I almost bought a WRX I was really close but it was to small and Subaru has always brought out problem infested cars so I changed my mind because of those reasons. I didn't need a throw away car im not to sure on the quality of a Subaru. So for me it wasn't because I was looking for the fastest car I was looking for the best all around car.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
WRX's look like tissue boxes with eggs for headlights
ROFLMAO!
Old 05-20-2002, 03:50 PM
Boost.....

Just Drove a WRX

I just drove a 2002 WRX...white with a blue mesh cloth interior.

NOT IMPRESSED....

WAY too small for me (6'5")

Once you popped the clutch...it was quick, but not that quick, it did not pull like my 6SP at all.

It did handle a lot better though, nice and tight.

All in all....26,000 sticker for a turbo ford escort.....Nah.

BTW....It almost did fit in my trunk

Old 05-20-2002, 04:02 PM

The other day I was drivin my gorgeous 2k2 at night, and all of a sudden i hit a big bump. It seemed like a pretty hefty one, so i look back, and to my surprise it was a WRX that I ran over (didn't even see the poor little thing). I apologized to the driver, and offered to put the car in my trunk, instead of making him wait for a tow-bike. The dwarf (maybe Gandalf knows him)agreed, and we were off. I brought the car home, and parked it in my little sister's barbie dreamhouse garage until the next day.

Note: While some may be amused by this story, its a tragic one that's all too common. Each day, midgets and dwarves driving WRXs are seriously injured by accidents with squirrels, large leaves on the road, and sometimes crushed by bird feces. It is a serious problem today that can be avoided by not driving vehicles weighing less than Louie Anderson. Please pass this on to your loved ones.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:09 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

All I know is what I saw.... Leftcaost vs a WRX.... He can post the timeslip... Can you say SPANK SPANK !!!!

Quick Reply: The final straw in the 2002 WRX VS 2002 Maxima SE debate