5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

exhaust tone

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

exhaust tone

TAAA DAAAA!!!

thanks to the wonders of technology....I have recorded my new exhaust tone!!!

check out my "other" website to hear the tone outside the car and see pics of the resonator removal!!

thanks to all who provided info on the mod!!

resonator mod
Old 05-25-2002, 10:14 AM

Re: exhaust tone

Originally posted by thicknes
TAAA DAAAA!!!

check out my "other" website to hear the tone outside the car and see pics of the resonator removal!!

resonator mod
You RULE, Annette. Your car sounds fantastic. What a SWEET mod, particularly for the $$$.

You know what to do next.

PS: The link in your sig doesn't work. For those who want to listen to it, go to the pics of the resonator removal and click on the link at the bottom of the page.
Old 05-25-2002, 10:25 AM
lcf

sounds really good. which mod are you talking about? just the one where ya take out the resonator?
Old 05-25-2002, 10:29 AM

Yeah, sounds great! Will definitely being doing this soon...
Old 05-25-2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by lcf
sounds really good. which mod are you talking about? just the one where ya take out the resonator?
yep!

I removed the resonator and replaced it with a piece of pipe...then welded on some tips

$25 for resonator removal and pipe welding
$10 for tip welding
$14 for tips and discount auto

total...priceless!!! hehehhee
Old 05-25-2002, 10:45 AM

Start by removing the resonator and see how you like that, GetSome681. If you want a little more tone, add a straight-through muffler like a Magnaflow or an OBX. The muffler won't produce much more volume, but it will deepen the tone quite a bit. Either way, you shouldn't end up with the dreaded "drone" in the cabin.

REMEMBER, however. If you're planning to add a Y-pipe, keep your stock resonator and rear section. The combination of a Y-pipe, no resonator and a straight-through muffler will drone every single time. There are no exceptions.
Old 05-25-2002, 10:54 AM

total...priceless!!! hehehhee
Yeah. But look at all of the status you gave up by not being able to whisper "Greddy" or "Stillen" or "HKS" or "Cattman" into the ears of your peers. Aren't you ashamed of yourself?

Old 05-25-2002, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by y2kse

Yeah. But look at all of the status you gave up by not being able to whisper "Greddy" or "Stillen" or "HKS" or "Cattman" into the ears of your peers. Aren't you ashamed of yourself?

ummmm.

HELL NA!!! cause I gots mo money left!!!
Old 05-25-2002, 11:01 AM

Start by removing the resonator and see how you like that, GetSome681. If you want a little more tone, add a straight-through muffler like a Magnaflow or an OBX. The muffler won't produce much more volume, but it will deepen the tone quite a bit. Either way, you shouldn't end up with the dreaded "drone" in the cabin.

REMEMBER, however. If you're planning to add a Y-pipe, keep your stock resonator and rear section. The combination of a Y-pipe, no resonator and a straight-through muffler will drone every single time. There are no exceptions.
Well, I WAS planning on adding a y pipe, probably in the next 2 months or so, after I did some audio work on the car. However, I might be able to hold off on the y pipe if this can give me a good sound for the meantime. I am hestiant though, because with lugging around the extra 100+ lb in the trunk, I'm going to prob want some more power to go along with the exhaust sound!! Anyone have a sound clip of what their max sounds like with the y pipe?
Old 05-25-2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by GetSome681

Well, I WAS planning on adding a y pipe, probably in the next 2 months or so, after I did some audio work on the car. However, I might be able to hold off on the y pipe if this can give me a good sound for the meantime. I am hestiant though, because with lugging around the extra 100+ lb in the trunk, I'm going to prob want some more power to go along with the exhaust sound!! Anyone have a sound clip of what their max sounds like with the y pipe?
Interestingly, my setup sounds pretty close to Annette's. That's why I'm recommending that you hang on to any OEM equipment you remove from your exhaust.

I'd say you have a decision on your hands, GetSome681. If you're going to add a Y-pipe, I wouldn't make any other changes to your exhaust system until that's been installed. If not, I'd go Annette's route.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:15 AM

HELL NA!!! cause I gots mo money left!!!
Imagine that!
Old 05-25-2002, 11:38 AM

Interestingly, my setup sounds pretty close to Annette's. That's why I'm recommending that you hang on to any OEM equipment you remove from your exhaust.

I'd say you have a decision on your hands, GetSome681. If you're going to add a Y-pipe, I wouldn't make any other changes to your exhaust system until that's been installed. If not, I'd go Annette's route.
money is always of the essence...but I think I'll just keep penny pinching, and hopefully add the y pipe and fstb by the end of the summer. Also, if I add in the Place Racing CAI, is that going to make any difference in the noise?
Old 05-25-2002, 12:17 PM

. . . if I add in the Place Racing CAI, is that going to make any difference in the noise?
In a word, yes . . . but mostly at WOT.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:10 PM

TAAA DAAAA!!!

resonator mod
I just added another sound clip

this one is inside the car on the open road WOT redlined!!

enjoy (click on the same link above)
Old 05-25-2002, 02:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: exhaust tone

I just added another sound clip

this one is inside the car on the open road WOT redlined!!

enjoy (click on the same link above)
The second clip sounds very very nice. Congrats on a truly sweet exhaust tone.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:33 PM
Blu
the tits

sounds pretty good with it was a little deeper though do you think my 2002 will have a deeper tone than his since its a little larger engine
Old 05-25-2002, 02:35 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I only have a muffler, but my tone is deeper, than that......
Old 05-25-2002, 02:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: exhaust tone

Originally posted by Hobert

The second clip sounds very very nice. Congrats on a truly sweet exhaust tone.
ROGER THAT!

I really like that exhaust tone too. And I don't necessarily equate "mean" with "deep". I'd rather not have something that sounds too much like an American muscle car. That's why I wouldn't put a Flowmaster on a Max.

The tone Annette is getting from her exhaust is pretty much the same as mine, particularly in terms of the frequency range. If anything, my Y-pipe produces an even nastier growl at high rpms. But for a cost-effective setup, I don't think it's possible to get a much better sound out of a Maxima than what she's getting.

Kudos, thicknes!

PS: Before the RIAA shuts Audiogalaxy.com down, go up to their web site and download a song by Ronnie Milsap called, "She Loves My Car". You'll get a kick out of that.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: exhaust tone

PS: Before the RIAA shuts Audiogalaxy.com down, go up to their web site and download a song by Ronnie Milsap called, "She Loves My Car". You'll get a kick out of that. [/B]

PLEASE tell me you're kidding about audiogalaxy and the RIAA...

dang...i better get what i can while the gettin' is good

glad that the master loves my.......

tone...he he he...what did you think i was gonna type??
Old 05-25-2002, 03:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: exhaust tone

PLEASE tell me you're kidding about audiogalaxy and the RIAA...
No, I'm afraid I'm not kidding. Go get your downloads while you can.

back at ya!
Old 05-25-2002, 04:49 PM
2K1HoMax

yeah no joke about that, i got my resonator removed yesterday as well, but the y-pipe i kinda played around with so its more of a complete y-pipe now. the y-pipe makes the tone deeper at idle and somewhat burly as well, the only thing is it gets kinda raspy and make a anoying rattling sound which u can hear only outside the car.
im just gonna go rip the whole cat-back off and have them make the 2 1/2" pipe and still use the same flanges, that crimp after the resonator really bothers me.

Old 05-25-2002, 04:52 PM
2K1HoMax

u cant tell its there....if thats the only exhaust mod u got, just more power. make it ur first exhaust mod, trust me ull save alot of time and money.

Old 05-25-2002, 04:53 PM
pjalst

TAAA DAAAA!!!

resonator mod
Saweeet

does this Mod effect Emmissions in any way?

Old 05-25-2002, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by pjalst

does this Mod effect Emmissions in any way?
No.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:59 PM

Not too shabby, but check this out and when your car sounds like this then we've got something to talk about.

But unlike the car in this video at least your car has a proper idle and hopefully your headlights don't flicker because of a low idle ;P

And yes thats a V6 not a V8.

EDIT: My typing sucks.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:17 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by Greystar
Not too shabby, but check this out and when your car sounds like this then we've got something to talk about.

But unlike the car in this video at least your car has a proper idle and hopefully your headlights don't flicker because of a low idle ;P

And yes thats a V6 not a V8.

EDIT: My typing sucks.
all i can say is that one bad grand prix, the only thing is ive grown to hate the grand prix due to constant gloating from a friend of mine that thinks his car is a classic and its faster then any car on the road, i mean seriously thing guy thinks his nascar wheely, but i can still say that is the baddest gtp ive ever seen, much props to that ride.

Old 05-25-2002, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

all i can say is that one bad grand prix, the only thing is ive grown to hate the grand prix due to constant gloating from a friend of mine that thinks his car is a classic and its faster then any car on the road, i mean seriously thing guy thinks his nascar wheely, but i can still say that is the baddest gtp ive ever seen, much props to that ride.
Yeah it's got a REALLY agressive cam in it

Theres always someone with whatever type of car that thinks it's the best thing out there when well they're not.

GP's are good cars; Maxima's are good cars. End of story. People just have different tastes in vehicles.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:51 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

WOW! .. That GP sounds wicked ! Imagine what 4 custom Cams would sound like on a Max?
Old 05-26-2002, 10:11 AM

[B]Not too shabby, but check this out and when your car sounds like this then we've got something to talk about.
Greystar...I LIKE what my max sounds like.....

understated and sophisticated with a smidgen of "lioness" in her....stroke her the right way...she purrs....**** her off...she growls

just like me!!!

grrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Old 05-26-2002, 10:51 AM

Greystar...I LIKE what my max sounds like.....

understated and sophisticated with a smidgen of "lioness" in her....stroke her the right way...she purrs....**** her off...she growls

just like me!!!

grrrrrrrrrr!!!!
I'm glad you like it; that's all that really matters.

But there's nothing that's as nice as a V6 that sounds like a V8 (well except a V8 of course). It's even more fun when that V6 will outrun those V8's ;P

Oh well good luck with the car.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

resonator mod [/B]
Your welcome. I'm glad I could help.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:49 PM
2K1HoMax

But there's nothing that's as nice as a V6 that sounds like a V8 (well except a V8 of course). It's even more fun when that V6 will outrun those V8's ;P
hey by any chance are u the owner of the GP or do u know the owner. im tryin to help a friend of mine whose got and impala ss with the same 3800 motor in it. his up for gettin the s/c but there arnt too many parts (that i know of) out there. can u hook it up with a few links were i can fing good aftermarket parts for that motor.
ps. make sure it includes were they got that cam from

Old 05-27-2002, 01:17 AM

hey by any chance are u the owner of the GP or do u know the owner. im tryin to help a friend of mine whose got and impala ss with the same 3800 motor in it. his up for gettin the s/c but there arnt too many parts (that i know of) out there. can u hook it up with a few links were i can fing good aftermarket parts for that motor.
I do own A GP GTP, but not that one. Well there is a company currently working on a CSC kit fot the NA 3800 motor; check out www.zzperformance.com . He could also do a complete motor swap and remove the L36 (the NA 3800) and put in the L67 (supercharged 3800). The motors are by no means the same motor, so just "throwing" a blower on the L36 isn't going to get you where you want to be.
If he does go the engine swap route he's going to want to put in the tranny thats in the cars with the L67 as it's beefed up for the torque the motor puts out (280 ft-lb vs the NA's 240ft-lb). A few simple mods and they'll put out well over 300 ft-lb of torque; mines probably pushing close to 350 ft-lb and I'm only lightly modded, but my car also isn't the norm.
I'll know for sure this Saturday when I get my car dyno'd.

A few links for parts for the L36 and L67 are:

www.grandprixstore.com
www.3800performance.com
www.zzperformance.com

Good Luck!

The best places for
Old 05-27-2002, 01:23 AM
Jer

I just wish others would post some sounds of their exhausts : I'm looking at getting a dynomax ultraflo based exhaust done, but I'm trying not to get too ricey with it - I want a nice deep sound. Anybody got a .wav or something?

TAAA DAAAA!!!

resonator mod
Old 05-27-2002, 02:10 AM
Jer

There IS a blower out for the n/a 3800's, but it still in the R&D stages (sort of). He should check the grandprix.net boards if he's got questions.

I used to own a '97 and a '99 GTP - with regards to performance, they will eat any stock auto max alive, and give the 5 speeds a run for their money too - all you've gotta do is invest $50 in a 3.4" pulley, push about 12lbs, a 9" cone, and you're laughing in low range 14-sec territory. Can you say 2k2 and 6 speed if the guy in the GTP knows how to drive his car? Those cars are fun like hell when it comes to straightline acceleration, but have little high-end, or are comparable to max's in that respect - at best. Too bad they were also built by GM where quality and service both suck Not to mention coasting at high speeds makes you wonder if the car will just lift up in the air hehe. I'm looking to make my Max sound just as threatening as a grumbling GP; the s/c goes on in about a month, and once I'm happy with it, I'll be looking at getting the y-pipe and exhaust done... then it's time to munch on the local GP owners' chapter (they're even setting up a pool on when my car is going to die - too bad the suckers don't realize it's actually got some kind of quality to it - it's a Maxima )

Old 05-27-2002, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Jer
I just wish others would post some sounds of their exhausts : I'm looking at getting a dynomax ultraflo based exhaust done, but I'm trying not to get too ricey with it - I want a nice deep sound. Anybody got a .wav or something?

Excellent muffler choice, Jer. The DynoMax UltraFlo is one of the best mufflers on the market from the standpoint of scavenging. And you should be fine with it sound-wise. It's practically impossible to make a Maxima sound ricey. Too many cylinders, I suppose.

Old 07-07-2002, 10:20 PM

You said to click on the link under the pics of resonator removal, but I did not see anything there, just pics and some ads on the bottom. What link is that? I would like to hear that exhaust very much. Thanks.

You RULE, Annette. Your car sounds fantastic. What a SWEET mod, particularly for the $$$.

You know what to do next.

PS: The link in your sig doesn't work. For those who want to listen to it, go to the pics of the resonator removal and click on the link at the bottom of the page.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: exhaust tone

Originally posted by sgmax
You said to click on the link under the pics of resonator removal, but I did not see anything there, just pics and some ads on the bottom. What link is that? I would like to hear that exhaust very much. Thanks.

ho hum....that was deleted like a lonnnngggg time ago!!

pm me a email address and i will email it to ya

i am hosting a bunch of tsb's and have no more space to host the clips!!!