5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gen with aftermarket suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 11:21 PM

5th gen with aftermarket suspension?

Did you trim your rear bump stops? They don't separate from the dust covers on the 2k gxe. Do you really need the dust covers?
Old 05-26-2002, 08:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 5th gen with aftermarket suspension?

Originally posted by CIRCO
Did you trim your rear bump stops? They don't separate from the dust covers on the 2k gxe. Do you really need the dust covers?
Don't trim those bump stops. The bust boots aren't neccessary but I would put them on if I were you. They keep dust off of the piston which helps avoid seal wear. The dust acts like sand paper on your shock's seals, and dust boots help keep it dust and grime free.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:21 AM

Re: Re: 5th gen with aftermarket suspension?

Originally posted by cobymoby

Don't trim those bump stops. The bust boots aren't neccessary but I would put them on if I were you. They keep dust off of the piston which helps avoid seal wear. The dust acts like sand paper on your shock's seals, and dust boots help keep it dust and grime free.
To late I trimed the bump stops on both the rear and front. The front however still has oem dust covers. Just the rear doesn't have the dust covers. Some cars don't even come with dust covers though so it can't be all that bad. I think you need to trim the bump stops because the amount travel is reduced from stock so the bump stop will be stoping the suspension from traveling prematurely.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: 5th gen with aftermarket suspension?

Originally posted by CIRCO

To late I trimed the bump stops on both the rear and front. The front however still has oem dust covers. Just the rear doesn't have the dust covers. Some cars don't even come with dust covers though so it can't be all that bad. I think you need to trim the bump stops because the amount travel is reduced from stock so the bump stop will be stoping the suspension from traveling prematurely.
Those bump stops are there so that your shocks will not bottom out. They are a saftey device. By triming them, you are risking your pistion coming out the other end of the shock or at least bending the piston rod which is as good as a blown shock.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5th gen with aftermarket suspension?

Originally posted by cobymoby

Those bump stops are there so that your shocks will not bottom out. They are a saftey device. By triming them, you are risking your pistion coming out the other end of the shock or at least bending the piston rod which is as good as a blown shock.
Galo says trim 'em. Eibach says trim 'em. My shop says trim 'em. If you don't trim 'em you bottom out (on the BStP)all the time! I have Maxspeeds on stock GXE w/o the rears trimmed and BAM! on a bump over 40mph - and no it's not the Addco.

I am getting Toks soon. Would you be okay trimming w/ Tokicos?