5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

235 45 17 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 12:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BUMP
Old 05-29-2002, 02:24 PM
Sanduguero

Re: This topic has been...

Originally posted by jjs
ARGUED TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!

For those of us who have read this debate over and over and over again, we don't need to go trhough this again...

For those who are new to this topic...

SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH

and just to get the point across...

SEARCH!!!!!!

If you dont like the topic leave my brother!!!!!!!!!!!! you dont own this website so we can all talk about discuss topics again!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2002, 03:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
I've got 235/45s mounted on 17x7 wheels. The bulge looks normal & I've pushed the car to it's limits in lateral turns with no problems.

My .02 on all this is that my tires may not be recommended for my wheels but I've never heard of someone getting into an accident caused by this very combination of tires/wheels.

Tony

I HAVE HEARD and seen someone have two tires blow on her car because of the wrong tire size.

y2kse: BTW I could not get anymore information on this because... well, I did a bad thing and she don't like me no mo
Old 05-29-2002, 05:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Originally posted by CIRCO

I HAVE HEARD and seen someone have two tires blow on her car because of the wrong tire size.

y2kse: BTW I could not get anymore information on this because... well, I did a bad thing and she don't like me no mo
Yes that is true, if it's the wrong tire size it will blow, i.e putting a 16" tire on a 17" rim. Again, like I said, I have 235, 45, 17 using stock rims 7". And it works fine. I went to wheel works and they varified it with someone at Nissan that it works. They would NOT let me get tires unless it was already approved and safe. Again, I'll say this once and I'll say it again, I take very CRAZY turns and my tires are still attached to my rims. I take turns rated at 20 mph at 55 mph. Make sure you check the PSI regularly as always.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Originally posted by roastduck88

Yes that is true, if it's the wrong tire size it will blow, i.e putting a 16" tire on a 17" rim. Again, like I said, I have 235, 45, 17 using stock rims 7". And it works fine. I went to wheel works and they varified it with someone at Nissan that it works. They would NOT let me get tires unless it was already approved and safe. Again, I'll say this once and I'll say it again, I take very CRAZY turns and my tires are still attached to my rims. I take turns rated at 20 mph at 55 mph. Make sure you check the PSI regularly as always.
NP, roastduck88. But let me tell you what you CAN'T do. You CAN'T get anyone at Nissan to put in writing that it's OK to run 235/45R17 tires on your OEM rims regardless of what Wheel Works told you. What's more, you CAN'T even get the manufacturer of your own tires to put in writing that it's OK to run their 235/45R17 tires on 7"-wide rims. So as far as I'm concerned, all you've got to back you up is your opinion and perhaps the opinion of a tire dealer with questionable ethics. And who do I have to back me up? The Tire and Rim Association of America and every tire manufacturer in the world, that's who.

235/45R17 tires are out-of-spec on 7"-wide rims, period. If you think I'm wrong, go to the web site of the manufacturer whose 235/45R17 tires you purchased and check their specifications for yourself. Then come back here and let us know what you find out. Or save yourself the bother. I already know what you're going to find out.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-29-2002, 07:08 PM

Re: Re: 235 45 17 Tires

Originally posted by VTblckmax

wow a newbie like me ( and with the same name too ).

i also had new 235/45/17's put on about a month and a half ago on my stock 17"s. the only problem was i *had* to cuz i was in a jam, and thats what merchant tire had for me. so far they seem to be fine ( my car knowledge though wouldn't be able to provide a detailed assesment though )

but i am looking to either get a new set of rims (they'll be wider to better fit the tires) or just replace the one stock wheel that was messed up. just trying to find where i can get them at . . .

PLP
I used to work @ Merchant Tire in Towson, MD back in the 80's .... small place this planet Earth is.
l8tr -- SS
Old 05-29-2002, 07:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Thats exactly what she did! she put the "wrong size tire" on 17x7 rims. Which in her case was 235/45/17! Yeah it works, but when the time comes, just don't say we didn't warn you.

see this post by me to y2kse:

A friend was running 235/45R17 tires on 17x7 rims. I know this is only one factor, but I will keep you updated on more I find out about it. She was driving rather fast hanging turns when all of a sudden two tires blow out within a matter of seconds she said she was riding rims. She said the tires were only 8 months old and next time I talk to her I will get specifics. Oh yeah I believe she said she had toyo proxy's T1-S.

This is from toyos website.

235/45ZR17 97W Rim width range>> 7.5-8.0-9.0
Old 05-29-2002, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by y2kse

Hey! Hush-up wit dat engineerin' jive, Norm. We don't wanna confuse no-one around here wit da facts.

kevin? you downed me hard and i did research and had connections
I keep my tire pressure at 35psi (235/45/zr-17) and these tires rock! I gained .3 tenths a mile from 0-60
go with bf goodrich comp ta 235/45-zr17...........
Old 05-29-2002, 08:20 PM

Funny thing is maxima 17s are 8.0" wide, measured by a caliper, my 17x9 R33 Skyline wheels measured 9.5" wide w/ the same caliper.
My Kinesis wheels 17x8 measured 8.5" on caliper ?

I need to find a 17x7.5 I35 wheel to measure.

Old 05-29-2002, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Chimp Dj
Funny thing is maxima 17s are 8.0" wide, measured by a caliper
That's true, Chimp Dj, but not from bead to bead. They're only 7.0" wide from bead to bead. And unfortunately, that's the measurement that counts.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:14 PM

That's true, Chimp Dj, but not from bead to bead. They're only 7.0" wide from bead to bead. And unfortunately, that's the measurement that counts.
Measurements from bead to bead is still 7.5"

I just measured after reading

Old 05-29-2002, 11:14 PM

Measurements from bead to bead is still 7.5"

I just measured after reading
Not on my spare OEM rim, it's not. Mine measures 7.0" on the nose. And, of course, there's always the thorny issue of the rim specifications that appear on page 10-9 of the 2K/2K1 Owner Manuals and page 9-9 of the 2K2 Owner Manual. All three specify the rim width as 7J.

Old 05-30-2002, 02:18 AM

Were you the kid in kindergarten that told on people for running with scissors?
Old 05-30-2002, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
Were you the kid in kindergarten that told on people for running with scissors?
I was the kid in kindergarten, running w/ the scissors or throwing away chalk so the teacher went through boxes of chalk in a week.

y2kse, I can go on forever, you are like the paranoid hermit that wanders the street, one day you'll go away.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:20 AM

I can go on forever, you are like the paranoid hermit that wanders the street, one day you'll go away.
Yup. But I doubt you'll outlast the T&RA, Chimp Dj.

What's fascinating to me is to watch the song and dance people like you go through in an attempt to justify their denial. Do you and others truly think that tire specifications are set arbitrarily? Do you honestly believe that massive amounts of engineering and testing didn't go into developing tire specifications in the first place? And if tire specifications really were that arbitrary, would an entire industry bow to them? Wouldn't there be at least one dissenter in the group?

One last question. Is your life and the lives of others worth so little to you that you'd be willing to substitute your idea of proper safety margins for that of an entire industry?

Puhlease!
Old 05-30-2002, 06:55 AM

Yup. But I doubt you'll outlast the T&RA, Chimp Dj.

What's fascinating to me is to watch the song and dance people like you go through in an attempt to justify their denial. Do you and others truly think that tire specifications are set arbitrarily? Do you honestly believe that massive amounts of engineering and testing didn't go into developing tire specifications in the first place? And if tire specifications really were that arbitrary, would an entire industry bow to them? Wouldn't there be at least one dissenter in the group?

One last question. Is your life and the lives of others worth so little to you that you'd be willing to substitute your idea of proper safety margins for that of an entire industry?

Puhlease!
DO I SAY DO THE 235 ON 7" WHEEL ????
I JUST SAY YOU OVER-DO IT~!~!~!~!~~!!~~!~!
DO I CARE ABOUT THE ENGINEERING AND "RULES" IN GENERAL, NO.

WE ALL GONNA DIE ANYWAY, THE WAY SOCIETY AND LIFE MOVES, SOMEONE HAS TO, RIGHT ??

DON'T GIVE ME THIS F'N BS ABOUT MORAL ISSUES OR INDUSTRY CRAP.

I'VE SAID THIS A FEW THOUSAND TIMES TO PEOPLE WHO ASK ME IN PERSON, IN EMAILS OR ON THE FORUM, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MOUNT 235/45R17 Tires on your FACTORY RIMS, BE MY GUEST, I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS, BUT a 17x8 Wheel WOULD BE NICE.

-BTW GET THAT DIL OUT YOUR AZZ, IT'S WEDGED IN THERE TOO TIGHT.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:57 AM

INDUSTRY CRAP . . .

I rest my case.

Never underestimate the power of denial!
Old 05-30-2002, 07:08 AM

I rest my case.

Never underestimate the power of denial!

WTFF AM I IN DENIAL FOR ?
HOW AM I IN DENIAL, WHEN I NEVER SAID TO DO IT, BUT DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, WHERE T F IS THE DENIAL IN THAT ?
I NEVER SAID DO IT OR I KILL YOU ?
DUDE JUST STFU ALREADY...THIS **** TOPIC IS DEAD~!

YOU DIDN'T GET LAID LAST NITE, HUH ?

READ THE FAQS~!~(Y2kse)

Old 05-30-2002, 07:15 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I like...

how everyone says "tell me of one single case!"

someone does, then its right back to the arguement that "it's no big deal"

y2kse isn't telling you that *you* can't do anything. His effort is to make sure that it's not considered acceptible and without any risk.

On one hand you guys are like "we've learned our lesson, we slow down, we're careful" then on the other you're like "F*** the rules and specs".

I mean, youre 1000x more likely to wreck because of conditions or driving outside the limits of the car.

Watch Scariest Police Chases IV on Fox, the guy always throws a tire at the end, then rides on the rims in a shower of sparks. I'm sure the tire shop told the owner it was ok to get 235's.. The car jacker had no way of knowing the car he jacked had out of spec tires.. I'm just saying...
Old 05-30-2002, 07:19 AM

yo chimp...

why get upset about it.. his arguement is not dead, you've just made your choice.. if its no big deal to you, then so be it.. no one contests it.

he only brings it up because someone reposts this question at least once a week. He's no more "not letting go" then the people that come in and say its ok on every one of these tire questions posts..

remember, 'hey it's alright' or 'Yo dont worry' or... what was it again?
Old 05-30-2002, 07:21 AM
JET Speed Lab

Re: I like...

Originally posted by TimW
Watch Scariest Police Chases IV on Fox, the guy always throws a tire at the end, then rides on the rims in a shower of sparks. I'm sure the tire shop told the owner it was ok to get 235's.. The car jacker had no way of knowing the car he jacked had out of spec tires.. I'm just saying...
i take notes of what not to do when runing into cops when i watch that....
Old 05-30-2002, 07:23 AM
jjs

Like I begged...

pages ago....

PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!!

To think it is taking up even a fraction of server space is appalling!

Either that or can we pick just ONE of the numberous threads on this and put it as a sticky, in boldface??
Old 05-30-2002, 07:24 AM

Re: I like...

how everyone says "tell me of one single case!"

someone does, then its right back to the arguement that "it's no big deal"

y2kse isn't telling you that *you* can't do anything. His effort is to make sure that it's not considered acceptible and without any risk.

On one hand you guys are like "we've learned our lesson, we slow down, we're careful" then on the other you're like "F*** the rules and specs".

I mean, youre 1000x more likely to wreck because of conditions or driving outside the limits of the car.

Tim, I don't understand this guy, he preaches like its a sermon.

I can understand the speeding aspect of it, but as for tires, I've been on them over 45,000 miles in less than 2 years, and I have had ZERO problems, I've done AutoX, even the impromptu figure 8 @ The Woodbury Meet. The rules of the road are different than MY OWN Safety, Honestly, I wish I would crash and die already, just to make y2kse feel better, just so he can say I was wrong and he was right.
Not considered acceptable, well who wants to pay an outrageous price for a rare 225/50R17 tire ?, 235/45R17 would obviously fit better on rims up to 9.0", but I just don't feel like riding on R33 17x9s, just yet, and I hate Nitto, I hate Michelin's pricing, RE92, I'll stop here. I'll stick to 235/45R17 on my factory wheels, since I like that "stock" look, and hopefully I'll die. Not a threat, a wish.

Old 05-30-2002, 08:14 AM

Once again, Tim has stated my position so eloquently that there's really nothing left for me to say. If you guys want to take someone on, you'll have to deal with Tim now . . . at least until the next thread on this subject. But before you take him on, keep one thing in mind. Tim carries a big stick!

Thanks, Tim.

Over and out !!!
Old 05-30-2002, 08:19 AM

you're misunderstanding y2kse

Ya, I see where him saying you are in denial would pi$$ you off.. BUT he's picked a subject to educate himself about. And he's taking time to point out to people who dont have the facts so they can make an educated choice, its still their choice. I respect that.

For me, I'm older now and tend not to take risks. I want to know this stuff when I go into the tire dealer and he lies to me, I'll know better.

Its not uncommon to be driving 85mph on a hot 115 degree Texas day and have to swerve to avoid something. I really dont want to take chances with my wife's life (and others on the road). thats all it is, a chance..

As far as wasted bandwidth, we've wasted alot more on much more asinine topics..

For the record.. everyone.. y2kse *IS* looking for a 235 tire that is acceptable on a 7" rim. Thats what this is about. Not about who's right or wrong, but choosing a tire that the mfg will stand behind. that is all.. I know its gotten personal, but thats the real goal here, to actually find a tire, not tell you your going to hell for the tire you choose..
Old 05-30-2002, 08:21 AM

Re: you're misunderstanding y2kse

For the record.. everyone.. y2kse *IS* looking for a 235 tire that is acceptable on a 7" rim. Thats what this is about.
I've just got weigh in here on that comment, Tim.

ROGER THAT!

I'd even be satisfied if someone could come up with a single variance where an auto manufacturer actually mounted 235/45R17 tires on their 7"-wide rims. Such variances, while rare, do occur from time to time. And if a manufacturer was willing to do it, I'd be willing to do it WITH EXACTLY THE SAME TIRE USED BY THE AUTO MANUFACTURER!
Old 05-30-2002, 08:26 AM
JET Speed Lab

my car is black.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:28 AM

Re: Re: I like...

Tim, I don't understand this guy, he preaches like its a sermon. . .
Chimp, please don't take this as me ganging up on you.

Perhaps the real issue is that this condition, which remains specifically unapproved by the appropriate parties, is being publicly presented as a reasonable option. That implies acceptability, and it may well become the only information or "evidence" on which some people will base their next tire decision. Many, if not most readers of such posts are completely unaware of the necessary relationship between tire size and rim width, and will make their tire purchase in complete faith that all is well. You can not expect such buyers to even know about T&RA or tire mfr data, let alone independently research it.

A bulletin board post is much more like written material than speech in that it remains long after being typed. That means that it reaches a much wider audience than if it was just you, me, y2kse, and a couple others were sitting around in an informal face to face meeting. And most of the nonverbal clues that would be present at such a discussion don't make it to the post, graemlins notwithstanding.

Finally, although there have been a few disclaimers included in the posts that admit riding around on this tire/wheel combination (or on even worse ones), they represent a small minority. Going back to the newbie tire buyer, he/she likely doesn't even know enough to ask questions, let alone the right ones. The post then becomes the authoritative document on the matter. Hence the continuing responses from others intended to provide more complete information.

Just to stretch this a bit further, can you visualize the situation in which a shotgun style legal matter rounds up forum participants in the same net as the tire mfr, car mfr, tire installer, etc.?

Norm
Old 05-30-2002, 08:49 AM
lcf

does the tire and rim assoc have a website?

ive been searching and couldnt fint it.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:52 AM
jjs

http://www.us-tra.org/main.html

Old 05-30-2002, 09:00 AM
lcf

Re: http://www.us-tra.org/main.html

Originally posted by jjs
thanks!
Old 05-30-2002, 09:04 AM
jjs

Re: Re: http://www.us-tra.org/main.html

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lcf
[B]thanks!

no prob
Old 05-30-2002, 09:08 AM
lcf

im a little slow. can someone point out to me on the t&ra website where it says anything about SAFETY?
Old 05-30-2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by lcf
im a little slow. can someone point out to me on the t&ra website where it says anything about SAFETY?
And I quote:

"TRA standards are published in the Tire and Rim Year Book, Aircraft Year Book and supplemental publications."

If you want to look at those standards, you'll either have to pay for the privilege of doing so or you'll have to find a tire manufacturer willing to share them with you. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to work with two tire manufacturers regarding their 235/45R17 tires . . . one was Nitto and the other was Goodyear. Both had published specifications indicating that some of their 235/45R17 tires could be mounted on 7"-wide rims. I contacted them personally to verify the information. In both cases they revised their specifications based on information they found in the Tire and Rim Year Book. So I have received direct confirmation from two major tire manufacturers that the minimum acceptable rim width for a 235/45R17 tire is 7.5".

Hope that helps.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:12 AM
jjs

Re: Re: This topic has been...

Originally posted by playero

If you dont like the topic leave my brother!!!!!!!!!!!! you dont own this website so we can all talk about discuss topics again!!!!!!!!!!

Hey jack-***, I can have any opinion I like, and more to the point, since there seems to be no limit on useless posts in this forum, I will post away!

Old 05-30-2002, 09:24 AM
lcf

And I quote:

"TRA standards are published in the Tire and Rim Year Book, Aircraft Year Book and supplemental publications."

If you want to look at those standards, you'll either have to pay for the privilege of doing so or you'll have to find a tire manufacturer willing to share them with you.
what im trying to investigate is what kinds of research the t&ra has done to make one tire "acceptable" and another unacceptable to a rim size. you make it sound as if they have 40 NASA guys in a warehouse working day and night to make come up with these "standards." i wonder how these standards came about? who's in charge of these tests? i wonder why tire companies are listed as "members?" i wonder how much they paid off the t&ra?

maybe its because ive done too many drugs when i was young but everything seems like a conspiracy to me...

Old 05-30-2002, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by lcf
what im trying to investigate is what kinds of research the t&ra has done to make one tire "acceptable" and another unacceptable to a rim size. you make it sound as if they have 40 NASA guys in a warehouse working day and night to make come up with these "standards." i wonder how these standards came about? who's in charge of these tests? i wonder why tire companies are listed as "members?" i wonder how much they paid off the t&ra?
And I quote:

"The Tire and Rim Association, Inc. (TRA) is the standardizing body for the tire, rim, valve and allied parts industry for the United States. TRA was founded in 1903 and its primary purpose is to establish and promulgate interchangeability standards for tires, rims, valves and allied parts."

Apparently the reason the TRA came into existence was because the industry needed a single body to establish interchangeability standards. Perhaps that's why every tire manufacturer in the world subscribes to those standards.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question as to how the TRA goes about establishing its standards. Suffice it to say that no tire manufacturer will knowingly violate standards established by the TRA and its European counterpart, ETRTO (European Tire and Rim Technical Organization). FYI, the standards set by TRA and ETRTO have evolved together and are virtually interchangeable.

Some manufacturers even go so far as to state specifically that their tires conform to T&RA standards. For example:

"All Goodyear Racing Tires are designed to be used on wheels or rims that are manufactured to Tire and Rim Association (T&RA) specifications and tolerances."

Source: http://www.racegoodyear.com/technical.html

So much for the notion of "industry crap"!
Old 05-30-2002, 10:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

NP, roastduck88. But let me tell you what you CAN'T do. You CAN'T get anyone at Nissan to put in writing that it's OK to run 235/45R17 tires on your OEM rims regardless of what Wheel Works told you. What's more, you CAN'T even get the manufacturer of your own tires to put in writing that it's OK to run their 235/45R17 tires on 7"-wide rims. So as far as I'm concerned, all you've got to back you up is your opinion and perhaps the opinion of a tire dealer with questionable ethics. And who do I have to back me up? The Tire and Rim Association of America and every tire manufacturer in the world, that's who.

235/45R17 tires are out-of-spec on 7"-wide rims, period. If you think I'm wrong, go to the web site of the manufacturer whose 235/45R17 tires you purchased and check their specifications for yourself. Then come back here and let us know what you find out. Or save yourself the bother. I already know what you're going to find out.

Enjoy the ride!
They also say it's unsafe to drive over the speed limit, but we all do it and we're all still ok.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Originally posted by CIRCO

Thats exactly what she did! she put the "wrong size tire" on 17x7 rims. Which in her case was 235/45/17! Yeah it works, but when the time comes, just don't say we didn't warn you.

see this post by me to y2kse:

A friend was running 235/45R17 tires on 17x7 rims. I know this is only one factor, but I will keep you updated on more I find out about it. She was driving rather fast hanging turns when all of a sudden two tires blow out within a matter of seconds she said she was riding rims. She said the tires were only 8 months old and next time I talk to her I will get specifics. Oh yeah I believe she said she had toyo proxy's T1-S.

This is from toyos website.

235/45ZR17 97W Rim width range>> 7.5-8.0-9.0
Your tires can blow even if it's the "right" size if you don't take care of your tires. Again, I had mines for 4 months and they are fine, I hang turns everyday to and from work. Work is about 50 miles from my house. So as you can see, I drive a bit more then average and my tires are fine.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Your tires can blow even if it's the "right" size if you don't take care of your tires. Again, I had mines for 4 months and they are fine, I hang turns everyday to and from work. Work is about 50 miles from my house. So as you can see, I drive a bit more then average and my tires are fine.

How many times do they have to repeat it. They are not saying you will have problems, but that running an incorrect tire has a higher chance of having problems with sometimes dire consequences. And a couple of people on this site have posted bad things happening when tires that violated spec were used. Yet right after they repeat themselves somebody posts and says the exact same thing.

Quick Reply: 235 45 17 Tires