5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I am totally and completely obsessed with my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 02:30 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I am totally and completely obsessed with my car

I think I am mentally sick. All I do is think about my car.

My production at work as come to a halt because I spend all day on this site.

Before work, I take a California Car Duster over my car and clean the windows. I clean my rims and tires every day when I get home from work. I usually was the tar and crap off my car on Tuesdays and Thursdays, although the days vary.

Weekends are spent doing full detail jobs and whatever mods I have bought during the week.

I had no credit card debt and a decent savings before finding this site. Now, my savings has severely diminished and my credit card debt is starting to escalate again. I have already mentally spent my entire next paycheck on stuff for my car.

And the worst thing just happened. Now have a contact at a local car stereo warehouse where I can get stereo stuff dirt cheap. That stuff can add up VERY quickly. I'm already eyeing a Solobaric 15 and a nice little HiFonics amp.

But again, I think about what I can do to my car nonstop. I changed the tranny fluid over the weekend for no apparent reason, other than to spend time working on my car.

Are any of you like this?
Old 05-28-2002, 02:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ha!

DW
Old 05-28-2002, 02:39 PM

I was the same way, I changed my tranny oil every 10-15k and regular oil every 2k miles. I would detail and wax my car every weekend. I would also clean my engine and just try to find stuff to clean. My girlfriend was getting scared & worried for a while cause I was spending more time and money on my car than her. :X Now I only do like half of that stuff.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by augie
I was the same way, I changed my tranny oil every 10-15k and regular oil every 2k miles. I would detail and wax my car every weekend. I would also clean my engine and just try to find stuff to clean. My girlfriend was getting scared & worried for a while cause I was spending more time and money on my car than her. :X Now I only do like half of that stuff.
YES! I am the exact same way. And my girlfriend is getting worried (seriously). I wake up at 4AM, come check these boards and go back to bed. I have a two shelves and two drawers in my garage dedicated only to car products.

But my girlfriend getting upset about it only makes me want to work onmy car even more. It is my only escape from reality. I seriously think I'm fukked in the head.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:46 PM

Maybe you should try setting your sites on where you'd be satified with your setup. Like, say, a full exhaust, Y,Cat,B, muffler, and complete stereo, 2000 watts, dual 10" subs alpine HU etc. Set your sites on those and commit to them. Give yourself a timeline, to be finished by Novemebr etc. Maybe that'll help.

DW
Old 05-28-2002, 02:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You are not alone!

I always find myself looking back and admiring my car everytime I walk away from it.

Be careful on the C.C. debt. Its not worth losing your house or something over a car--Well maybe it is--I think I could live in my Max! Then there would be no house payments, property tax, homeowners insurance, utility bills. Hmmm....

There I go thinking again...
Old 05-28-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Maybe you should try setting your sites on where you'd be satified with your setup. Like, say, a full exhaust, Y,Cat,B, muffler, and complete stereo, 2000 watts, dual 10" subs alpine HU etc. Set your sites on those and commit to them. Give yourself a timeline, to be finished by Novemebr etc. Maybe that'll help.

DW
I try that. Then I want more. But I don't have the "I need to have the most stuff in my car" syndrome. I have the "I am a sick fukk and all I want to do is work on my car" syndrome.

I changed perfectly good transmission fluid last night just for the sake of changing it.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:11 PM

Maybe take a long road trip with your girl. Take some time to enjoy the mods you have. Keep everybody happy

DW

Originally posted by asu174

I try that. Then I want more. But I don't have the "I need to have the most stuff in my car" syndrome. I have the "I am a sick fukk and all I want to do is work on my car" syndrome.

I changed perfectly good transmission fluid last night just for the sake of changing it.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:16 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Do what I do,,, keep spending and modding, but just go one at a time.....Im on my third car, so I know how you feel....
Old 05-28-2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Do what I do,,, keep spending and modding, but just go one at a time.....Im on my third car, so I know how you feel....
Hey Kloogy, I noticed in your sig that you have LED brake lights. I would like to do this but didn't know how since the brake light bulbs are 1157's (double filament). How did you do those? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by suds1

Hey Kloogy, I noticed in your sig that you have LED brake lights. I would like to do this but didn't know how since the brake light bulbs are 1157's (double filament). How did you do those? Thanks.
HEY HEY! Don't get OT... This is about ME! I'm sick and deranged. I need help. Or a UDP. One of the two......
Old 05-28-2002, 03:36 PM

there's more to life than cars... like GIRLS
Old 05-28-2002, 03:39 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by suds1

There was a set of RED 1157 LED's on auction on Ebay. I got them there. The rest, the 7440, and 7443s I got online at some bulb place......Back to you ASU, lay down on my couch, and tell me how it all started... You were 4 and playing in the Sandlot,,, what happened next.. Speak to Dr. Kloogy !
Old 05-28-2002, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
There was a set of RED 1157 LED's on auction on Ebay. I got them there. The rest, the 7440, and 7443s I got online at some bulb place......Back to you ASU, lay down on my couch, and tell me how it all started... You were 4 and playing in the Sandlot,,, what happened next.. Speak to Dr. Kloogy !
Dr. Kloogy?

Ever since you told me what Kloogy meant, I'm not sure that I can trust you to psychologically evaluate me.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by drudawg888
Girls are icky.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:04 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Girls are icky.
...... Can say Charles Nelson Riley ! .. You might want to see him ??? ... .... J/K !
Old 05-28-2002, 04:13 PM

Been there, learned from it...

I used to be like you with my first modded car, but I didn't have the money to go all out..then the car got stolen in D.C. My next car a 98' Acura CL got some simple but expensive mods like 18's, lowered, awesome stereo, and engine goodies. I even placed 2nd at a car show filled with nothing but integra's,...but then the wheels got stolen along with the stereo. So after two cars and now my Maxima, I'm not as addicted to the whole modding scene and would rather fix my eyes on buying my own house, nice vacations and what not with my fiance'.

Just my $ .02 ; perhaps I've matured some (yeah right) and now at age 28, I have some other toys to dream about; although I still get giddy when I see a nice hooked-up car.

Peace.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:33 PM

Re: I am totally and completely obsessed with my car

Before work, I take a California Car Duster over my car and clean the windows. I clean my rims and tires every day when I get home from work. I usually was the tar and crap off my car on Tuesdays and Thursdays, although the days vary.

Weekends are spent doing full detail jobs and whatever mods I have bought during the week.

I had no credit card debt and a decent savings before finding this site. Now, my savings has severely diminished and my credit card debt is starting to escalate again. I have already mentally spent my entire next paycheck on stuff for my car.

And the worst thing just happened. Now have a contact at a local car stereo warehouse where I can get stereo stuff dirt cheap. That stuff can add up VERY quickly. I'm already eyeing a Solobaric 15 and a nice little HiFonics amp.

But again, I think about what I can do to my car nonstop. I changed the tranny fluid over the weekend for no apparent reason, other than to spend time working on my car.

Don't worry, it's just a case of Maximatis.
Do take it easy with the CC and the bank account, as others have already said. My wife is kinda jelaous about my Max. She says I spent more time with it than with her. And it is true... It is not my fault. Black is a difficult color to maintain.
Keep moddin', be happy.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:05 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by drudawg888
yes
Old 05-28-2002, 06:07 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Girls are icky.
Not mine

Hey while you're at it why not come over and give my dirty super black Max a nice detailing. It needs some loving. I'll even pay.

Damn, you're in Arizona!!!

Old 05-28-2002, 06:49 PM

Girls are icky.
After a comment like that we can all say for sure that you are either fukked in the head

or you are gay!
Old 05-28-2002, 06:59 PM

Girls are icky.

Old 05-28-2002, 07:22 PM

Actually I have a girlfriend, but we have a very Al/Peggy Bundy type relationship (well...not that bad)......

So, to answer you ??'s, no I am not a flamer......
Old 05-28-2002, 08:29 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

..OMO says what ??.... .....J/K!
Old 05-28-2002, 08:49 PM

WHOA

I think I have you all beat!

My girl comes home from work the other day to find me under the rear installing the Adco rear sway bar. She then proceeds to craw under with me and say "So when you gonna get that monster flow?"

MATCH THAT The best of both world... sex and speed
Old 05-28-2002, 08:54 PM

Actually I have a girlfriend, but we have a very Al/Peggy Bundy type relationship (well...not that bad)......

So, to answer you ??'s, no I am not a flamer......
I thought she wasn't going to let you do any more mods???? BTW You are completely hooked by the mod bug
Old 05-28-2002, 08:55 PM

Re: WHOA

Originally posted by AuxNuke
I think I have you all beat!

My girl comes home from work the other day to find me under the rear installing the Adco rear sway bar. She then proceeds to craw under with me and say "So when you gonna get that monster flow?"

MATCH THAT The best of both world... sex and speed
Dang, I think she's a keeper!
Old 05-28-2002, 10:16 PM

I think I have Maximitis too, I have spent more money on my Max in the past 2 months than I have spent on my Mustangs in the past year.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:20 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
I think I have Maximitis too, I have spent more money on my Max in the past 2 months than I have spent on my Mustangs in the past year.
Im not quite there.... I did a Tremec swap in my stang.... and 2K worht of work in my WS6 T/A... But im Geting there.... You know what the best part of it is.. I can fit 4 people comfortably , and still run 14's !
Old 05-28-2002, 10:23 PM

Well, maybe with the 4 people watching, you can run 14's
Old 05-28-2002, 10:31 PM

Girls are icky.
My girl is icky too...when she's not in a good mood. But when she's happy and wearin' that little white baby doll tshirt and cut-off shorts combo of hers, the ickiness seems to fade away fast!

As for the obsession with the car...I was like that too when I first bought the car. I'd go nuts trying to keep it clean all the time inside and out. As for mods, I've always held back even though I can afford the mods I want. All I do is keep saying "someday, someday..." I guess that was the honeymoon period mentality after getting the Maxima.

But after having the car for more than a year-and-a-half, a lot of that obsessiveness has gone away. I still keep her clean, and I still want to get a few mods, but I have other things in my life I'd rather focus on for now.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:38 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
Well, maybe with the 4 people watching, you can run 14's
..Maybe not 4 Taliban Yahoos !
Old 05-29-2002, 12:02 AM

I used to be like u, but it goes away with time and other priorites. Do u have a girl?? If u do, i doubt u still have the time. I have mine 00'SE for 2.5 years now, and im sad to say i gave it a wash about every 3 months now!!!!....starting about 9 months ago. But i used to wash it atleast every week. And in the 2.5 years i only waxed it 2 times!! And i think my black car might be shinner than yours, if i give it a detail today.

So dont sweat urself with ur car.......u will have other things to worry about.

Old 05-29-2002, 01:32 AM
2K1HoMax

\

I though u said u were retiring from the world of mods?? what happened damn and i thought i was bad.

Old 05-29-2002, 05:01 AM

YES! I am the exact same way. And my girlfriend is getting worried (seriously). I wake up at 4AM, come check these boards and go back to bed. I have a two shelves and two drawers in my garage dedicated only to car products.

But my girlfriend getting upset about it only makes me want to work onmy car even more. It is my only escape from reality. I seriously think I'm fukked in the head.
I can help!

While you entertain yourselves with your cars I'll entertain your ladies! Everyone goes home happy. Just remember ... it's only metal, plastic, glass, rubber and wire.
l8tr -- SS
Old 05-29-2002, 06:28 AM

dont worry dude.

You are just normal. Once, I returned my car to stock because I was gonna sell it for a Type R. Thinngs didn't work out and I still had my Max. At that point, I was like
"ok, no more mods. I'm gonna pay off my CC, debts and spend time on something else"

But guess what, my precious max is one of only few hobbies I've got, and it's ok to mod them !
If your lacking judgment and priorities in your financial world, then you shouldnt be modding. But I've matured, learned my lessons, and I now actually SAVE for my mods now. All the stuff in my sig, I've gotten them since then. I still can't believe I've gotten a ypipe twice, and paid for the multiple install/uninstalls necessary.

And the 4am ORG checks, I do that too.
I had a friend back in school, who also had a 98max. One time, he ran out during a church service. When we saw him afterwards, we asked him where he went. He went to wash his car. It had snowed couple days before, and his car was dirty,
Old 05-29-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by CIRCO

I thought she wasn't going to let you do any more mods???? BTW You are completely hooked by the mod bug
I wouldn't go as far to say she wouldn't "let" me, but she can certainly lay a guilt trip on thicker than hell.

The day she got her wisdom teeth out, I was supposed to be taking care of her- she had a horrible reaction to the anesthesia (spelling). Instead, I basically force fed her pain killers so she would pass out and I could go get my exhaust put on. I lied and told her that I made the appointment at the muffler shop a month earlier and they were completely booked solid- even though I could get in there two days later. In hindsight I feel like a ****, but at the time I was completely fixated on that shiny muffler sitting on the coffee table (which I must have polished 50 times BEFORE getting it installed).

Maxima.org has completely ruined my life.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:46 AM

yeah I can't blame you. There are tons of people in your shoes (including me) so don't feel too bad. I even use to wash my car everytime a bug hit the window (ok not EVERYTIME but close enough) Now i feel more mature, i wash only once every 2 weeks Just watch ur spending.

ps - want to get off the addiction of modding? quit visiting this site. hell, they should post up a "Surgeon Generals Warning" when people visit the .org
Old 05-29-2002, 08:48 AM

Oh man, that's sad . . . . .but very funny as well Picture a girl knocked out on pills on the bedroom, meanwhile the boyfriend is in the garage putting in his shiny new exhaust!

Don't worry, I feel for you man, just being a typical guy. Sometime I tell the woman I'm going to the store . . . for 6 hours Get carried away driving on a nice day.

DW

I wouldn't go as far to say she wouldn't "let" me, but she can certainly lay a guilt trip on thicker than hell.

The day she got her wisdom teeth out, I was supposed to be taking care of her- she had a horrible reaction to the anesthesia (spelling). Instead, I basically force fed her pain killers so she would pass out and I could go get my exhaust put on. I lied and told her that I made the appointment at the muffler shop a month earlier and they were completely booked solid- even though I could get in there two days later. In hindsight I feel like a ****, but at the time I was completely fixated on that shiny muffler sitting on the coffee table (which I must have polished 50 times BEFORE getting it installed).

Maxima.org has completely ruined my life.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:54 AM

You should drive around more, that will end your obsessiveness. I'd wash, wax, and baby my car, then take it for a drive... it'd rain, some idiot would throw a drink cup out of his window and splash soda on my car, bugs would splatter all over my windshield, a rock would hit my windshield, some moron dings your door when you park it, etc, etc. You get tired of obsessing about the car because no matter what you do, someone else will mess it up .

Quick Reply: I am totally and completely obsessed with my car