5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima info?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 10:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima info?

I am considering purchasing a new car within a year, and have a few quetions about Maximas. It will replace my current car, a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, I need something bigger with more power and more space than my small kimchi car.

I am looking at the following: 2003 Nissan Maxima(Glacier Pearl, Sheer Silver, Auto(never learned to drive Manual), Titanium Edition, Leather Package(prefer Black), and Sunroof. I don't understand some of the options that you are required to get with certain packages when I used the "Design Your Maxima" at nissandriven.com It would not let me select Glacier Pearl with Black leather, it had to be Frost. Also doesn't seem to let me choose Leather without TE package.

How reliable are Maximas? I have never owned a Nissan before, and my experience with Japanese cars is very limited. Most of the Maxima owners in my area seem to be happy with thier car.

What should I expect to pay for a 2003 Maxima during summer/fall of next year? Above/below invoice? Best time to purchase?

I am also interested in any info regrading the SignatureGRADUATE financing availabe for graduates, as this car will be purchased not long after I graduate from college. Has anyone had any experience with this program? Good results? I am looking for the lowest possible APR. If it helps, I don't have any debt, negative credit, and no loans to pay off.

For comparision purposes, I am also considering a 2003 VW Passat GLS 4Motion, and possibly an Acura TL Type S. I have NO interest in the Altima, the interior turns me off in a big way.

Thanks.

[Edited to correct a few typos]
Old 05-30-2002, 10:38 PM
lcf

kimchi sized car?
Old 05-30-2002, 10:44 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

the cars you mention are great choices...

VW? make sure you have a great (not good) dealer for service.. makes or breaks them. You will have more trouble with it than a maxima.

Acura? Mechanically a slightly better car, but also more expensive. Pretty boring compared to a max, but if you can afford it, you wouldnt regret it.

Maxima? Mechanical failures are mostly little annoyances, and like VW, a good dealer is the difference between a good maxima and a great one.

Maximas have less than stellar resale, so always buy near, at or below invoice (you almost always can) or you will be locked into it forever.

The maxima is really on equal footing with your other choices, but is a much better value.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:02 PM
Got Projectors?

Well, I just got my I35 about a month ago (very similar to the max if you didn't know).

Amongst the cars I was looking at, the Acura TL-S/CL-s was included. To me, it seemed to be the superior car, however, I went and did some research and found WAY too many people with TL-S/CL-S's complaining about VERY early tranny failures and paint problems (sometimes after lightly washing the car!). Also the fact that Acura refused largely to acknowledge the paint and transmission problems had me worried as well.

FYI - I also looked at a 2k2 Trans AM WS6 (Mom wouldn't let me have it), 2k2 Lexus IS300 (too tiny, too anemic), and a 2k3 Infiniti G35 (2 on the lot, wanted MSRP, base models). The I35 seemed to fit. Also the fact that my dad had bought one for himself about a few months before seemed to help too

I think the Max is an excellent choice though.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:11 PM

I just bought a 2K2, (my second Maxima). My first Max was the most reliable car I've ever owned. I looked into the CL-S type. I found the same options, less two doors, similar engine, and a $5000 price difference
Old 05-31-2002, 12:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As far as good apr's. Right now they have 0.9%-3.9% depending on the term of the loan. They may have even better incentives on the 2003 late next fall and next spring right before the all-new 2004 comes out.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:24 AM

just a comparison

I had a 2k1 CL-S, and now have a 2k2 Maxima. Although I had more options in the Acura, they are very similar in terms of power, comfort, etc. Both cars are very good cars, and you will not be disappointed. When I had the CL-S they didn't have the 6sp., which is one reason I like my Maxima better. Since they have the 6 sp. now, I guess I would say it is up to you on what style you like better, and where you can make a better deal.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:55 AM

Re: Maxima info?

Originally posted by MaximaSE2003

I am also interested in any info regrading the SignatureGRADUATE financing availabe for graduates, as this car will be purchased not long after I graduate from college. Has anyone had any experience with this program? Good results? I am looking for the lowest possible APR. If it helps, I don't have any debt, negative credit, and no loans to pay off.
as for the graduate program, i've done it. they'll give u the lowest apr available if u qualify, mine at the time was 3.9%. not sure what rates will be in the future but u should be getting the lowest offered. a few documents u need to bring so contact dealer for info. this definitely helped me get the max at the lowest apr!