5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

S4 Driving impressions (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 10:43 AM

S4 Driving impressions (long)

Alright, first of all I am not writing this to start a flame with any faithful Audi owners. That being said, I had the opportunity to drive a friends at work today.
He drove my car first and was completely surprised at the performance. When he was looking at buying the S4 he test drove an automatic Max and said it was like night and day driving an auto vs 6spd. When he first floored it a big grin came about his face, then he said wow, this thing is amazing.... He actually said when he was buying his S4 there were no 6spd Max's available on the lot, and if there was he probably would have boughtthe max over the S4.
Now, my driving expierience of the S4. Dont get me wrong its a wicked nice car. The Bose stereo is actually awesome in this thing.. Brakes and handleing are superb compare to the Max. But, I am really disappointed with the power/acceleration of them. I floored it a couple times and it kind of felt lame compare to my Max. I know its turbo, and a chip would really uncork this thing. But stock to stock, the max feels way faster, more of punch on the pedal.. Anyway, its just my two cents, just figured i would share my thoughts on it. I still respect the S4, very well refined performance sedan.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:07 AM

Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Alright, I see the brainwashing is complete!

S4: 0-60 = 5.5 sec (lame compared to max?)...

Old 05-29-2002, 11:20 AM

Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Originally posted by noflash
Alright, I see the brainwashing is complete!

S4: 0-60 = 5.5 sec (lame compared to max?)...

No its not brain washing.. Its called real life expierience. I wanted an S4 really bad, thats what I almost got. After driving it, I am glad I got a Max.. That 5.5 i take like a grain of salt, considering the magazines were and still are way off with the Max for 0-60 and 1/4 times. My feeling on this is if you absolutely dump the clutch on the S4 you will take a max off the line. But just wait till I get out of 1st gear and get traction... I actually raced one on the highway a couple weeks ago. Posted about it.. Not to metin the owner of the S4 feels the same as me about it.. Is that brain washing too ????
Old 05-29-2002, 11:24 AM

My operations director at work has one, I have been trying for almost a year now to let me test drive it, or at the very least a little stop light race to 60 or so, he won't take the bait.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Originally posted by Tallyman

No its not brain washing.. Its called real life expierience. I wanted an S4 really bad, thats what I almost got. After driving it, I am glad I got a Max.. That 5.5 i take like a grain of salt, considering the magazines were and still are way off with the Max for 0-60 and 1/4 times. My feeling on this is if you absolutely dump the clutch on the S4 you will take a max off the line. But just wait till I get out of 1st gear and get traction... I actually raced one on the highway a couple weeks ago. Posted about it.. Not to metin the owner of the S4 feels the same as me about it.. Is that brain washing too ????
I'm just playin'! I totally believe you, when you say that you like your Max better than the S4. But, surely, you must've expected some dissent!

Aren't we all a little washed?
Old 05-29-2002, 11:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

I'm just playin'! I totally believe you, when you say that you like your Max better than the S4. But, surely, you must've expected some dissent!

Of course nofalsh.. Like I said I am not putting the car down. It is truely an awsome car. If only Audi and Nissan could combine them. Now that would be an awesome car.. Like the Audi stereo,handling,brakes, some interior anemities, but the nissan motor, size/seating arrangement, oh and may as well throw the twin turbo set-up on it.. Now thats just crazy...lol
Old 05-29-2002, 11:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Of course nofalsh.. Like I said I am not putting the car down. It is truely an awsome car. If only Audi and Nissan could combine them. Now that would be an awesome car.. Like the Audi stereo,handling,brakes, some interior anemities, but the nissan motor, size/seating arrangement, oh and may as well throw the twin turbo set-up on it.. Now thats just crazy...lol
Check this link out:
http://www.vwvortex.com/features/index_rfox_rs4.html
I just happened to be reading it and it supports your notions on the stock S4.

Very cool article, I recommend it to all.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Its all good noflash....
Old 05-29-2002, 11:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Its all good noflash....
Yup
Old 05-29-2002, 04:40 PM

Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

I know its turbo, and a chip would really uncork this thing.
Twin turbo I might ad
Honestly, I think with two turbos, that thing doesn't put out a lot of HP. What like 260 or something? Add a chip to that puppy, and you'll be in heaven though.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Check this link out:
http://www.vwvortex.com/features/index_rfox_rs4.html
I just happened to be reading it and it supports your notions on the stock S4.

Very cool article, I recommend it to all.
Interesting artice but you have to wonder given that an S4 already costs ~$45K and the modifications he made must have been in the $15-$25K area, shouldn't he have bought a better car? For that kind of money you are very close to 911 carrera. Granted the RS4 is certainly unique.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Originally posted by ajahearn

Interesting artice but you have to wonder given that an S4 already costs ~$45K and the modifications he made must have been in the $15-$25K area, shouldn't he have bought a better car? For that kind of money you are very close to 911 carrera. Granted the RS4 is certainly unique.
Must be nice to have money to burn.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

most AWD cars get good 0-60 times, Subaru WRX, 0-60 mid 5s, 5-60 mid to high 6s, stock that is.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:38 PM

Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Twin turbo I might ad
Honestly, I think with two turbos, that thing doesn't put out a lot of HP. What like 260 or something? Add a chip to that puppy, and you'll be in heaven though.

Exactly, look at the stealth 3.0 tt puts out 320hp and the tt 300z 3.0 300. These are also early to mid 90's cars! You think audi could at least get 300 from the s4 stock.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Originally posted by ajahearn

Log on to any Audi site, chips can add 90 hp to the wheels. Chip and installation can run under $1k. Now, I do love the Max, but, having spent time lately in friends MB's, BMW's, Audis, there is no doubt in my mind what to buy next. If it's a matter of $$$, it will be an Infiniti G35 Coupe. If not, it will definitely be made in Deutschland.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: S4 Driving impressions (long)

Originally posted by rubman

Log on to any Audi site, chips can add 90 hp to the wheels. Chip and installation can run under $1k. Now, I do love the Max, but, having spent time lately in friends MB's, BMW's, Audis, there is no doubt in my mind what to buy next. If it's a matter of $$$, it will be an Infiniti G35 Coupe. If not, it will definitely be made in Deutschland.
While I agree that the S4 can be chipped up to a significant HP you have to wonder why Audi doesn't release the car that way (as someone previously posted). You could say they over engineered the car but again why not release it that way. The only reasonable explanation for this is that they don't want the "support" hassles for a car being pushed this hard.

A fellow co-worker had an S4 and she had numerous problems with the factory alarm (constantly going off for some unknown reason). Generally speaking in the Bay Area Aud's do not hold their value and its mostly due to their poor reliability.

MB or BMW, sure. Audi probably not.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VW cars are known for their electronic bugs.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:19 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Heavy AWD system + tons of extra driveline parasitics = slower than you might think from a roll.

Mag times with 6000rpm clutch dumps, while possible, are not realistic for people that actually own the cars and don't want to break them