5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed AE Shifter, but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 03:28 PM

I installed my AE shifter last night and finished it up this morning. It's a high quality shifter, looks very nice, but... it doesn't fit correctly. It looks like modifications to the internal metal shift rod or some other modification is required. There's approx. an inch gap between the shifter and base. Also, the holes don't line up. There are 2 ways to connect the wires.

Option 1: Take apart the center console and replace the 2 white wires with the 2 new white wires.

Option 2: Yank up on the old shifter and cut the 2 white wires and then splice on the 2 new white wires.

Either way will work. I tried option one. I took off the entire center console. (See pictures) If you follow the white wires (about 1 foot long) you meet up with a wire connector. I couldn't unhook the wires from the connector. You may be able to do this with the correct tool.

After a few hours of ****ering around with this, I put my old shifter back on. I'm not sure how I will handle the reinstall. There are a few solutions. I'll step aside and let someone more knowledgable than myself take a stab at it.

Pictures: http://members.nbci.com/vqlover/aeshifter/

I'll upload a few more soon.

[Edited by Paul2kGXE on 12-02-2000 at 06:21 PM]
Old 12-02-2000, 03:55 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You'll have to go with option 2... I didn't want to cut my own wires, so I bought it into a shop. $20 for the install is worth it because if I screw up, it's coming out of my pocket.
Old 12-03-2000, 01:20 AM
Wustylez

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
I installed my AE shifter last night and finished it up this morning. It's a high quality shifter, looks very nice, but... it doesn't fit correctly. It looks like modifications to the internal metal shift rod or some other modification is required. There's approx. an inch gap between the shifter and base. Also, the holes don't line up. There are 2 ways to connect the wires.

Option 1: Take apart the center console and replace the 2 white wires with the 2 new white wires.

Option 2: Yank up on the old shifter and cut the 2 white wires and then splice on the 2 new white wires.

Either way will work. I tried option one. I took off the entire center console. (See pictures) If you follow the white wires (about 1 foot long) you meet up with a wire connector. I couldn't unhook the wires from the connector. You may be able to do this with the correct tool.

After a few hours of ****ering around with this, I put my old shifter back on. I'm not sure how I will handle the reinstall. There are a few solutions. I'll step aside and let someone more knowledgable than myself take a stab at it.

Pictures: http://members.nbci.com/vqlover/aeshifter/

I'll upload a few more soon.

[Edited by Paul2kGXE on 12-02-2000 at 06:21 PM]

What do you mean it doesnt' fit correctly, is it loose when installed or the gap is pretty noticeable?????

How about the size and height of the AE shifter, is it shorter or smaller than the stock one???

thanks for the info
tim

Old 12-03-2000, 06:40 AM

It's loose, since the holes don't match up. And their is a gap that is noticeable. The AE shifter is shorter, which causes a problem with the internal rod that it slides over. See my pictures.

http://members.nbci.com/vqlover/aeshifter

Originally posted by Wustylez

What do you mean it doesnt' fit correctly, is it loose when installed or the gap is pretty noticeable?????

How about the size and height of the AE shifter, is it shorter or smaller than the stock one???

thanks for the info
tim [/I]
Old 12-03-2000, 07:28 AM

I looked at your pictures and I think I understand what you are saying as to why it does not fit; however, it is a little difficult since I have never taken mine apart.

For clarity, can you summarize what else is needed to make it work as if it came on the car to begin with? Is more than the shifter needed?
Old 12-03-2000, 08:12 AM

I think more internal parts are needed. Or the metal rod needs to be cut down. I suspect the internal rod on the AE is shorter.

Originally posted by mdeal
I looked at your pictures and I think I understand what you are saying as to why it does not fit; however, it is a little difficult since I have never taken mine apart.

For clarity, can you summarize what else is needed to make it work as if it came on the car to begin with? Is more than the shifter needed?
Old 12-03-2000, 01:37 PM
Wustylez

I think more internal parts are needed. Or the metal rod needs to be cut down. I suspect the internal rod on the AE is shorter.

So, if without modification to the metal rod, the shifter wont' fit on 2k max rite????

That sux, i was the about to order AE shifter **** next week from Dave!!!!!!!what should i do?

How about the pedal sets, will it fit ????i heard someone mentioned on this forum ealier that it is pretty hard to get it to fit also????

Old 12-03-2000, 02:16 PM

So, if without modification to the metal rod, the shifter wont' fit on 2k max rite????

That sux, i was the about to order AE shifter **** next week from Dave!!!!!!!what should i do?

How about the pedal sets, will it fit ????i heard someone mentioned on this forum ealier that it is pretty hard to get it to fit also????
That was me about the pedal, but it definitely fits - it jsut takes some work. The aluminum makes it less flexible and not very easy to get on, but WD-40 makes it very simple.

The shifter is a problem, though and your best bet is probably to wait and see what happens before you order.
Old 12-03-2000, 02:24 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by blackY2Kmax

That was me about the pedal, but it definitely fits - it jsut takes some work. The aluminum makes it less flexible and not very easy to get on, but WD-40 makes it very simple.

The shifter is a problem, though and your best bet is probably to wait and see what happens before you order.
How about the gas pedal, is it removeable like the brake one? it seems to me it's not??

Thanks

Old 12-03-2000, 02:34 PM

How about the gas pedal, is it removeable like the brake one? it seems to me it's not??

Thanks
[/I]
It doesn't look like it is, but nobody has the gas pedal yet so I don't know if it just fits on top of the current pedal or what.
Old 12-03-2000, 02:43 PM

Any fix to the problem????

My girlfriend just ordered the AE
sills and the shifter for my B-day.
Got the sills the other day. Put them
on in less then 5 mins. Piece of cake.

I was under the impression that the
shifter would be a bit more difficult
to install. Like the 2 screws, and some
yanking, but I did not think there would
be such problems. It should be here MON.
or TUES. What do I do? When I spoke to
Dave B, he told me there shouldn't be
any problem with the installation, since
all the surrounding part numbers matched
between the 2000 and 2001. If anyone
has any suggestions, please post them,
because I am going to be screwed when
the shifter comes, which won't be long,
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks,
Howie
Old 12-03-2000, 06:48 PM
Wustylez

Re: Any fix to the problem????

Originally posted by MAXIN24-7

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks,
Howie

That is odd, if all the surrounding parts are the same for 2k and 2k1, how come we have troubles installing the shifter? Someone wanna call up Dave and tell him to talk to his Techinician?????

Tim

Old 12-04-2000, 10:42 AM

Re: Re: Any fix to the problem????

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I have a GXE. Also, there's a chance I did something wrong. I think I did everything correctly though. I hope someone proves me wrong.

Originally posted by MAXIN24-7

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks,
Howie

That is odd, if all the surrounding parts are the same for 2k and 2k1, how come we have troubles installing the shifter? Someone wanna call up Dave and tell him to talk to his Techinician?????

Tim
Old 12-04-2000, 12:12 PM

Hey guys- I must admit I'm pretty perplexed, too. I double checked the part #'s for everything associated with the shifter, and everything's the same for all 2001/01s regardless of production date or trim level. One of our service advisors has a 2k SE, we're going to have one our techs install one on it & get to the bottom of this! As soon as we figure it out, I'll post & let everyone know!
Regards, David Burnette, South Point Nissan
Old 12-04-2000, 01:59 PM

Thanks!!!

Dave

Thanks a million. Look forward to the results. The shifter is really nice looking. I hope I can use it. I notice that the new shifter is about 2 inches shorter overall. Thanks for taking initiative on finding these AE parts. The mats and sills are a no-brainer. Hopefully the shifter works out too.

Originally posted by DAVEB
Hey guys- I must admit I'm pretty perplexed, too. I double checked the part #'s for everything associated with the shifter, and everything's the same for all 2001/01s regardless of production date or trim level. One of our service advisors has a 2k SE, we're going to have one our techs install one on it & get to the bottom of this! As soon as we figure it out, I'll post & let everyone know!
Regards, David Burnette, South Point Nissan
Old 12-05-2000, 10:19 PM

Nothing yet on the AE shifter Huh?

This is not really a problem for me since my
AE shifter has been held up (sitting) in Texas
since DEC 1. Trying to track it for the past few
days and it has not moved. It is just sitting there.
Called UPS they said they cant do anything till
the estimated receive date has expired. Which
is Dec. 7 That is how long it takes ground service
to get from Texas to New York. That SUX.

If it does not move by the 8th I am going to GO
OFF ON UPS. Dave gets it out quick and they take
forever. Then again I could not do much if I had
it till this is resolved anyway.

Dave looking forward to your post on the
resolution to this problem.
Old 12-15-2000, 10:02 PM

Has anyone heard anything on this topic that might help us?
PLEASE.
Old 12-16-2000, 09:10 AM

Hey guys- The AE shifter assembly is still on back-order, the moment it comes in, I'll rip it apart & try to figure out what it's going to take. Thanks for everyone's patience! -David Burnette, South Point Nissan
Old 12-16-2000, 01:43 PM

Dave... I worked on mine again yesterday. I shaved some of the plastic off the black internal button piece. It made the white stalk piece fit, but I still had a problem with working the button. I'm very close to making this work. I'm not the most savy mechanic, so I'll sit tight and see if someone else can figure it out.
Old 12-28-2000, 02:05 PM

How much and where can I order it? NISSAN only?

I have finally come across some dough..which means that I can finally start adding some stuff to my max. Installed some piaa lamps, and on the way to the dealer today to have them check out my auto tranny to get the module changed, saw this AE shifter. I really like it...where can I go about ordering it? Nissan, or are you people ordering them from someplace else? Also, I don't feel like messing around with my car, if I order at NISSAN, can they install it also? Thanks a million for any help!

Old 12-28-2000, 02:55 PM

Re: How much and where can I order it? NISSAN only?

Originally posted by GetSome681
I have finally come across some dough..which means that I can finally start adding some stuff to my max. Installed some piaa lamps, and on the way to the dealer today to have them check out my auto tranny to get the module changed, saw this AE shifter. I really like it...where can I go about ordering it? Nissan, or are you people ordering them from someplace else? Also, I don't feel like messing around with my car, if I order at NISSAN, can they install it also? Thanks a million for any help!

Southpoint Nissan (daveb on the forum-look a few posts up)or Courtesy Nissan (Courtesyparts.com). I just ordered my 5spd AE shifter and AE sills from courtesy. It's not on the website but if you send them an e-mail they'll respond with a quote, etc. Don't know about install though. You could check with your local dealer.