5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fuel cut issue with 2K 5spd Max's??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 01:56 PM

Over in the Edmunds forum there is a huge issue regarding "fuel cuts" in reference to 5 Spd Max's.

I'm not terribly familiar with this issue but I believe most folks are squaking about the car basically being undriveable in 1st gear in traffic...bucking stalling, lugging etc....

I see we have quite a few manual drivers here....are you experincing any of these issues or problems? There is a poster over there called BigK200 that is claiming that he has been in touch with Nissan and they are sending him a letter explaining what or what is not wrong with the 5spd Max....

Any Probs? I'm asking as I may be crazy enough(monetary wise)to sell my auto and buy a 5spd Max.....
Old 09-04-2000, 03:06 PM

these are regular drivers i assume? i have NO problem with any kind of odd driving of the car. 1 of the things i dont like is rev limiter at 6500. its gotta go higher
Old 09-04-2000, 03:09 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

its not an issue for every one...

for instance, around here it is rather hilly, even in the city. which means you often have to maintain 35-40 mph. Its almost impossible to maintain that even with my auto. the car bucks alot... even with the cruise control. Every time the car crests a hill, it jerks you (and passengers) hard. Again, even in the auto. The 5sp is worse. You can drive around it. I think most people sub-consciensly avoid the speed/gear that causes it. But its very annoying. Again, MOST people have argued that the guy on edmunds is full of it. He's not. He has a very valid complaint. Also, so some cars have alittle more tolerance in the adjustment of the throttle position sensor. If the TPS is off even a little bit, it makes this much worse.

Every car has the auto fuel cutoff, but none are as high as the Maxima (even other nissans are lower). Its set at like 2200 RPM.

To answer your question about trading, only a test drive of that car in your terrain will tell you if it bothers you. The scuttle butt is that there is a new reprogram ECU for it... However, the EPA makes a big deal out of ECU reprograms, so its like 100X harder than getting the new TCM. I dont even know if nissan has allowed the new program to be done by the dealer yet for him. Appearently the car has to be atleast 1 year old before the mfg can allow the new ECU program.
Old 09-04-2000, 04:17 PM

my car stalls out if i throw it into neutral right after i get on it semi hard 4000-4500 rpm it started to happen after i put on stillen intake now month later my check engine light is on
Old 09-04-2000, 08:22 PM
timmeyers

I have a 2K SE 5-speed and it bucks in first gear at low rpm's. I have seen posts about this and mine also has the revs stay up btwn 2700-3000 RPM for a few seconds btwn shifts. Any info on the fix for this? It does seem like the fuel is being cut-off and then it comes in again.

Old 09-04-2000, 08:28 PM

you are feeling the fuel cut off.

if you put your car in neutral, rev up to 3000, then try to bring it down slowly - you cant! there is no way. The only way it will is if the tranny is sensing a load. If it bothers you, take it to the dealer (weeee) and tell them its bucking with the fuel cut off. ask them to check the adjustment of the TPS sensor. If the throttle position sensor is alittle off, I've heard it makes this alittle worse. I havent bothered with mine. I drive around it.
Old 09-05-2000, 08:51 AM

2 Versions of the 2K Fuel Cut

I have a 2K 5 Speed with the lesser or minor version of the fuel cut issue. I can modulate the gas down to 2500 and then it cuts out to about 1500, then will slowly drop off to idle. I have been in another car where it just drops straight down to idle. In my case combined with my driving style and location, for 6 months now, it has never appeared to me as a problem. Some folks are more sensitive to it, and right now there is no official fix from Nissan. If Nissan monkeys with your car at this point, chances are it will only become worse. This condition seems to become bothersome during certain driving conditions, which you should be able to work around.
Old 09-06-2000, 03:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a 2k 5spd. I have the bucking issue but until reading these posts I don't think I truly understood what people claimed to be the cause. This is the first "stick" I've owned so I didn't have a good frame of reference.

I'm going to re-examine the drop in RPM tonight to see what happens. I haven't tried running it to high rpm and then letting it come all the way down. I've always thought the throttle was sensitive, so maybe that's what I've been experiencing.

I just drive around the problem and it doesn't bother me - even though I drive in traffic alot. For what it is worth -after owning the 5spd I'm even more certain that I would buy it again over the auto!!!!
Old 09-06-2000, 04:22 PM

I'm still a little fuzzy over what you guys are saying/describing. But I did notice something strange when driving along that perhaps is this 'fuel cut' people are claiming.

I can drive along at, say, 70 mph at a constant throttle position. When I let off the throttle, it seems like there's a delay when the computer shuts off the fuel. Basically, w/ my foot off the gas, it feels like the throttle is still depressed, then about a second later, you feel the engine start to slow down like it normally should. This is how it SHOULD feel as soon as you get off the gas. When you're in gear and you lift off the throttle, the ecu should sense this and cut fuel. The engine should be free wheeling along until the rpms reach a certain speed (usually 1500-2000) and the ecu will begin to allow the fuel injectors to squirt so the engine won't die.

maybe this is what you guys are talking about, or maybe mine is the only 5spd to do this.
Old 09-06-2000, 04:43 PM

no, that delay in throttling down is something

else. That is kinda odd too, but not really felt like this thing.

To see the fuel cut off in auto or 5sp, its simple. find a nice rolling hill or series of hills. Try to maintain 36-39 mph over them. Good luck. as soon as you top the first hill, the tranny will not see a load and your car will drop in RPM from 2300-ish to idle. You will then either give it gas and it will BURST to live and jolt you, or you can maintain the pedal position and the tranny will be under load again at the bottom of the hill and it will again spring back to 2300+ rpm... and jolt you.

If you car doesnt do this, then you are lucky or you arent on a hill that causes this. its mostly the loading and unloading of the tranny that cause the 'lash'. that is the only drivability issue here. Its more annoying to some. I only found it perplexing until I realized what it was doing. Considering I get about 14-15 mpg in the city, I guess I'll take that over 10mpg without the fuel cut off.

Old 09-06-2000, 05:28 PM

Now TimW....

my city mileage is pretty crappy, but not THAT bad! ;-)
Old 09-06-2000, 07:11 PM

I can scan you the gas reciepts I was saving

with documented mileage. I was saving them for the dealer. he was pretty shocked too.. 14.5 at times. Car has been on the diag twice. then it turns out I read a Consumer Reports mag on the V6's (a few months back). the Audi was 13 and none topped 16. Reason it turns out (no thanks to the dealer who was at a loss) is emmissions. All new cars burn VERY rich until the operating temp is reached. that can take 8-15 mins depending on your region. I drive less than that to work, so I was getting 250 miles per tank. And thats not driving hard at all. Just short city trips.

BTW, I've had my 2k for over 13 months now... Its pretty consistant on the mileage.

Thankfully, I get pretty good gas mileage on the highway, almost what they advertised, 26 with ac and lights on @ 75/80. Cant complain there. However, our Pathfinder gets better mileage for the first 10 mins a trip. Ack!

Also, check the 2001 mileage.. its now a bit less. ooops.

[Edited by TimW on 09-06-2000 at 09:13 PM]
Old 09-07-2000, 06:18 AM

Mileage is Low

I was aware that the car ran rich on mostly short trips for emissions sake. Unfortunately, most of my trips with the Max are short in duration. Don't get to "air-it-out" much on the highway too often. My combined mileage is always less than 20 MPG, no matter what combo of driving I do, and I have the "less noticable" fuel cut issue on my car. At first I was a bit worried, but now I guess it is reasonable. Just wish premium wasn't $1.73.9!
Old 09-07-2000, 10:16 AM

Last night I took a close look at what my 5spd does. I don't have hills, so I just tried to do what I normally do to make it jerk AND I tried revving to 4k in first and then coasting down. When I revved and coasted - I had no problem, the RPMs went down to idle without a jerk. When I get the jerk it is at low rpm when I give a little gas and then let off. For example, in heavy traffic this happens when traffic moves real slow and I give just a little gas and then let off.

This does not seem to be a fuel cut-off or management issue. It seems mechanical: at low rpms in first, loading and unloading the transmission causes it to jerk. This does not happen in any other gear. Since I've never owned another stick - my question is whether this is unusual. If so, is there some other explanation for why this happens aside from fuel - cut off or am I just out in left field?
Old 09-07-2000, 10:26 AM

yeah MG, you kinda missed it...

in neutral, not moving, Rev to 3K.. now slowly try to bring the throttle down. That is fuel cut off. All newer cars have it. the max just cuts off higher.

Simply coasting isnt the issue. Its when the terrian MAKES you coast that the fuel is cut. You give steady throttle, but after topping the hill, the car is coasting even with throttle. It senses no load on the tranny and cuts the fuel, but your foot is still holding the same position. at this point, you havent felt too much because the momentum of the car is propelling you. Eventually tho, the speed will drop enough or you will reach the bottom of the hill and its throttle time again. So the engine has to come back up to RPM - wherever your foot still is, thats were the annoying jolt comes from.
Old 09-07-2000, 11:41 AM

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying. You are saying that you are giving it throttle consistently but under certain circumstances, the computer cuts the fuel. Then, when you drop to idle, you'll have your foot on the gas, the fuel comes back and the sudden reload causes a jerk. More testing until I understand why this happens on my car under different circums.
Old 09-07-2000, 09:07 PM

Hey guys- I'm in the process of buying a 2k 5-speed SE, I drove the car all over town today, thinking about this post. The car was very new & tight, but it did not show the symptoms you are all talking about. It did seem kinda particular about really low rpm clutch engagement with the a/c on. It was a really late 2000, 06/00 was the pro date, perhaps Nissan has updated the ECM. Regards, David Burnette
Old 09-07-2000, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Last night I took a close look at what my 5spd does. I don't have hills, so I just tried to do what I normally do to make it jerk AND I tried revving to 4k in first and then coasting down. When I revved and coasted - I had no problem, the RPMs went down to idle without a jerk. When I get the jerk it is at low rpm when I give a little gas and then let off. For example, in heavy traffic this happens when traffic moves real slow and I give just a little gas and then let off.

This does not seem to be a fuel cut-off or management issue. It seems mechanical: at low rpms in first, loading and unloading the transmission causes it to jerk. This does not happen in any other gear. Since I've never owned another stick - my question is whether this is unusual. If so, is there some other explanation for why this happens aside from fuel - cut off or am I just out in left field?
The car is more apt to 'jerk' when the gas is let off in first gear because of the low gearing. Every car does this.
Old 09-08-2000, 05:04 AM

daveb

You wont notice the problem with the AC on in the 5 Speed, the AC puts a load on the engine. If you live in an area where you would use the AC all the time, then even if you had the fuel cut issue, it would not be as noticeable. Drive the car without the AC and then see if it still meets your approval. Also, don't let this issue stop you from buying the car if you really want it, it is a great car!
Old 09-08-2000, 06:07 AM

Re: I can scan you the gas reciepts I was saving

so I was getting 250 miles per tank. And thats not driving hard at all. Just short city trips.

BTW, I've had my 2k for over 13 months now... Its pretty consistant on the mileage.

Thankfully, I get pretty good gas mileage on the highway, almost what they advertised, 26 with ac and lights on @ 75/80. Cant complain there. However, our Pathfinder gets better mileage for the first 10 mins a trip. Ack!
[Edited by TimW on 09-06-2000 at 09:13 PM] [/I][/QUOTE]

Hey TimW. 250 par tank.. thats with how much fuel left in the tank upon fillup. My car Well when I drive hard I get about 310 out of the tank in the city, Driveing normal in the city I get around 360 or so. Went To Miami not too long ago and Got 475 on the first Tank, Filled up with about 3gallons still left in the tank, on the way back got about 450 with about 3 gallons left in the tank. so the Hwy driveing is pritty good. Ohyeah I didn't stop anywhere except Gas and Also The Speeds were 80-100 all the way.

WHAT KIND OF GAS MILAGE R SOME OF U GUYS GETTING ON THE 5SPD?
Old 09-08-2000, 07:33 AM

I just realized... Maximizd is right on the AC

I havent noticed at all with my ac on.. its a ***** in the winter tho.

Btw, my MPG is for an auto. I get 450+ a tank on the interstate... but 250 to the fuel light in the city.
Old 09-08-2000, 03:04 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Re: Re: I can scan you the gas reciepts I was saving

[QUOTE
WHAT KIND OF GAS MILAGE R SOME OF U GUYS GETTING ON THE 5SPD? [/I][/QUOTE]

My mileage was pretty bad also...about 260 miles to the tank (about 2 gals left in the tank). On the highway (New York -> Tampa) got about 480 to the tank ( > 85mph all the way).

However, I think that the bad mileage is due to the "lead foot" syndrome. Why do I think so? I performed an experiment by filling up then driving no more than 55 mph until the tank was empty. I rose my mileage from 16 mpg to 21 mpg (I kid u not!) it was that significant!! So, the moral of the story is....take your time guys!!!
Old 09-08-2000, 03:51 PM

I agree 100%

The car is more apt to 'jerk' when the gas is let off in first gear because of the low gearing. Every car does this. [/I][/QUOTE]

I read dozens (or more) posts about this in the Edmunds board, and it got pretty contentious (and boring for a lurker) after a while.

BTW, I get ~22mpg - not pushing the car hard, but not driving it easy either...
Old 09-17-2000, 02:05 PM

Cause of fuel-cut problem revealed . . .

Check it out:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/eng...tenance&t=1698
Old 09-19-2000, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by jnm2kse
Over in the Edmunds forum there is a huge issue regarding "fuel cuts" in reference to 5 Spd Max's.

I'm not terribly familiar with this issue but I believe most folks are squaking about the car basically being undriveable in 1st gear in traffic...bucking stalling, lugging etc....

I see we have quite a few manual drivers here....are you experincing any of these issues or problems? There is a poster over there called BigK200 that is claiming that he has been in touch with Nissan and they are sending him a letter explaining what or what is not wrong with the 5spd Max....

Any Probs? I'm asking as I may be crazy enough(monetary wise)to sell my auto and buy a 5spd Max.....
No problems with my 5-speed in first gear.

Hey jnm2kse wona buy mine.
I want to sell my 2000 SE 5-speed.
Old 09-19-2000, 07:59 AM

Sorry Dany

I have enough problems of my own without taking on a strut problem
Old 09-20-2000, 02:42 PM

No problem with my 2k

Ok, after several explanations by Tim, I checked my car to see if I have the fuel cut problem. I was able to drop rpms in small amounts all the way to idle. Even so, I have some jerking in first but I attribute it to the low gearing of first.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. The guy on Edmunds may have a point, but he is wrong about no maxima being able to drop from 3k to 2k rpms. The pedal is sensitive, but there is no doubt that I've done it on my car.

I love the 5spd and would recommend it over the auto.