5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to get better gas milage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 04:50 AM

How to get better gas milage?

Hey all.. What mods can I do to a 2002 Auto MAX to get better gas milage?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2002, 04:53 AM

not drive it.

Just kidding. I get about 320 miles a tank from empty to full.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:07 AM

I mean.. anything like an air filter, chip, etc.. ?
Old 06-06-2002, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by MajesticSE
I mean.. anything like an air filter, chip, etc.. ?
Try the Tornado Fuel Saver..

You can also try a K&N filter, but I wouldn't put any fuel injection system cleaners in just yet, its a new car. Ever try ZMax? I uesd it on my camry a couple times and saw a pretty significant increase in MPG. And last but not least, don't be so hard on the gas... if you don't really need to get there fast, don't stomp the gas pedal.. slow and steady never won a race, but it sure saves you money at the pump.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:18 AM
Banned

i think the manner in which you drive will affect your mpg more than anything else. easy acceleration, conserve momentum. so basically, we're all screwed.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by ssp34

Ever try ZMax
What's ZMax?

And I know you can save alot of mula by not stomping on the gas, and I know i'm screwed.. but this isn't for me.. it's for a fried at work.. He just got a brand new 2k2 max se fully loaded, and he drives like a grandma. But he does about 100 miles a day (a lot of highway driving), that's why he's looking for ways to save gas..

He's already got a K&N filter in his box.. but he's looking for more ways...

Btw, if you can suggest something, can you please give me a link to the product if you have one?

Thanks alot!
Old 06-06-2002, 05:35 AM

What's ZMax?

And I know you can save alot of mula by not stomping on the gas, and I know i'm screwed.. but this isn't for me.. it's for a fried at work.. He just got a brand new 2k2 max se fully loaded, and he drives like a grandma. But he does about 100 miles a day (a lot of highway driving), that's why he's looking for ways to save gas..

He's already got a K&N filter in his box.. but he's looking for more ways...

Btw, if you can suggest something, can you please give me a link to the product if you have one?

Thanks alot!
http://www.zmax.com <-- you should be able to find it at any auto parts store.. I got mine from Pep boys.. has anyone tried this in a 2k2 and seen results? I guess its hard to tell. It actually is used in aviation, that's where it was invented.. Linkite that is... give it a shot, it can't hurt. It even has some fluids to put into your transmission fluid, could smooth up shifting too.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did he tell you how much improvement he got or any idea how much w/ the k&n?
Old 06-06-2002, 06:52 AM

Ok, i would stay away from the oil additives.... Tell your friend to switch to synthetic oil and transmission fluid. It seems to have made a little bit of a difference in my 2001 5spd, about 2 mpg (my highway mpg is 29-30 at 70-75mph). Not much, but hey, its something On the highway, use cruise control to maintain a constant speed so that you aren't doing the speed up/slow down/speed up thing which chews up gas.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by ssp34

http://www.zmax.com <-- you should be able to find it at any auto parts store.. I got mine from Pep boys.. has anyone tried this in a 2k2 and seen results? I guess its hard to tell. It actually is used in aviation, that's where it was invented.. Linkite that is... give it a shot, it can't hurt. It even has some fluids to put into your transmission fluid, could smooth up shifting too.
Zmax (and other additive companies)are being sued by the FTC for making false claims. See for yourself.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm

Like djmaxski mentioned, swithing to synthetic lubricants will help to increase his mileage slightly, with the added benefits of reduced emissions and longer equipment life.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:03 AM

Its all about the way you drive. I'm a pretty aggressive driver, and I was only gettin about 20-22 mpg on the highway, and even less in the city. I drive 40 miles to work everyday, all highway. I decided to see if I would get better mileage if I didn't push the car at all. So, for one full tank I did this. I never went over 75, and I never let the rpms go over 3k. My mileage shot up like crazy. My trip computer started reading near 30mpg (usually, its not even at 21)! Instead of my usual ~300 miles i get on a tank, or maybe less, this time around I got almost 400 (nearly all highway I'm talking here, not too much city drivin). So, that is definitely how to conserve. I think I might drive this way more often now, its worth it if you ask me. I'll save the aggresive drivin for when there's a reason, but not all the time. I know my car's fast, I don't need reassurance everyday. Just my 2cents, for what its worth.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by enicemax
Its all about the way you drive. I'm a pretty aggressive driver, and I was only gettin about 20-22 mpg on the highway, and even less in the city. I drive 40 miles to work everyday, all highway. I decided to see if I would get better mileage if I didn't push the car at all. So, for one full tank I did this. I never went over 75, and I never let the rpms go over 3k. My mileage shot up like crazy. My trip computer started reading near 30mpg (usually, its not even at 21)! Instead of my usual ~300 miles i get on a tank, or maybe less, this time around I got almost 400 (nearly all highway I'm talking here, not too much city drivin). So, that is definitely how to conserve. I think I might drive this way more often now, its worth it if you ask me. I'll save the aggresive drivin for when there's a reason, but not all the time. I know my car's fast, I don't need reassurance everyday. Just my 2cents, for what its worth.
I wish I could be like you in this sense.. but I just can't! Because I drive 35 miles on the highway to work everyday and then 35 miles on the way back, I like to push the car a little bit on the screen when i get a chance to..I don't floor it everytime i take off, but I do push it over 3k rpm's.. and sometimes just because i want to hear it roar with my open air filter..

But like i said, my friend drives like a grandma and since he's had this car, he's NEVER pushed it above 3000 RPM!!! (I was beside myself when he told me this)
Old 06-06-2002, 07:42 AM

Re: How to get better gas milage?

Hey all.. What mods can I do to a 2002 Auto MAX to get better gas milage?

Thanks
Well... the gas mileage is about the ONLY THING that's dissapointing about my 2k2. Initially, I got 17-18 mpg, w/ mostly city driving and some traffic, being in Houston. Here's what's helped me:

1) synthetic oil. (mobile-1)
2) K&N air filter
3) Minimize A/C usage. (This makes the biggest difference)
4) put miles on it. (a green car's gonna suck a little more gas typically)

Now I'm getting 20-21 mpg, driving the same way. Not a HUGE difference, but a difference nonetheless...

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2002, 07:49 AM

320! that blows, especially with the longer 5th in the 2K2!

I easily get 375-400 and have done 420 on 2 occasions. When I do 375, it's because I put a few smiles on my face.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Banned

Re: Re: How to get better gas milage?

Originally posted by CHAZMAX

4) put miles on it. (a green car's gonna suck a little more gas typically)

oh yeah, my car got about 1-2mpg increase after about 10K miles.