5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bad torque steer or ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 04:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bad torque steer or ?

Lined up against a Dodge truck today but when I punched it my car sure started swerving so I had to let up. Is this torque steer or am I losing traction? I don't think I lost traction but even if I was don't both front tires lose traction together and keep the car going straight? Needless to say, this Dodge truck beat me because I had to let up. I could have toasted him too. Now he thinks he is faster than a Maxima.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:50 PM
CO2kmax

This happens with my car sometimes. If the road is rutted even a little and your not in the center of the ruts it will feel like torque steer on WOT. Just hold on to the wheel and go as F##king fast as u can. Don't let a sorry a$$ truck beat you. Thats my advice

Old 06-07-2002, 07:26 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Bad torque steer or ?

Originally posted by Larry
Lined up against a Dodge truck today but when I punched it my car sure started swerving so I had to let up. Is this torque steer or am I losing traction? I don't think I lost traction but even if I was don't both front tires lose traction together and keep the car going straight? Needless to say, this Dodge truck beat me because I had to let up. I could have toasted him too. Now he thinks he is faster than a Maxima.
well then next time ur just gonna have to hold the wheel and beat him goin sideways. the only dodge truck ive ever even come close to having a problem with was the short bed,single cab, 2wd v10 truck (im tryin to say its lighter then most other trucks) i saw this guy punch it off the line, so naturally i did too (by the way, i was totally stock at this time) i barley pulled him in, by the time we hit 60 i just barley cleared his bumper, the truck ran out of breath after that. aroud 80, it was about 1car behind. but i havent had the chance to try 1 latley, my car is considerably faster then it was then so my guess would be id toast him but about 5-6cars by the time we hit 80. besides he had a head start as well, so i didnt do too bad for a stock auto max.

Old 06-07-2002, 07:33 PM

I am sure I would have toasted this Dodge had I stayed in it. Just didn't want to take a chance swerving into him. Is this typical of front wheel drive or could I have something wrong with my car. It is particularly bad when accelerating if not going perfectly straight.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:12 AM

I am sure I would have toasted this Dodge had I stayed in it. Just didn't want to take a chance swerving into him. Is this typical of front wheel drive or could I have something wrong with my car. It is particularly bad when accelerating if not going perfectly straight.
It is typical of front wheel drive, more power makes it worse. The Max is particularly bad as it is overpowered and the suspension design is mediocre. If you have aftermarket wheels with more offset it will be even worse. A front strut brace helps some. This is why Audi invented quattro - they determined that 200 hp is the practical limit for fwd.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:23 AM

wdave,

Looks like this is normal then. Apparently nothing wrong with my car. Thanks...
Old 06-08-2002, 04:40 AM

wdave,

Looks like this is normal then. Apparently nothing wrong with my car. Thanks...
Yeah - the only thing wrong is the design. I changed a whole lane leaving the GW bridge tolls once - very grooved pavement there!
Old 06-08-2002, 04:58 AM
john2002max

Re: Bad torque steer or ?

This happens to me alot. I believe it's because of all the power and the front wheel drive combined. You just have to be prepared for it and try to keep it straight. Also it depends alot on the road surface!

Old 06-08-2002, 07:31 AM

I'll be holding onto the steering wheel with both hands next time that Dodge and I get lined up. No more letting a Dodge beat me. A Dodge truck runs about a 16.00 et while our Maxima's often run well into the 14s. My G tech is pretty accurate and you can see what I measured with it. With a loose torque converter, traction and a good exhaust this Maxima would be well into the 13's. Stock LS1 territory! A converter would really do wonders with this little torquey Maxima engine. Keep it up and into the sweep spot all the way down the track. Without traction I'm afraid first gear would be wasted at any speed.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:05 PM
2K1HoMax

I'll be holding onto the steering wheel with both hands next time that Dodge and I get lined up. No more letting a Dodge beat me. A Dodge truck runs about a 16.00 et while our Maxima's often run well into the 14s. My G tech is pretty accurate and you can see what I measured with it. With a loose torque converter, traction and a good exhaust this Maxima would be well into the 13's. Stock LS1 territory! A converter would really do wonders with this little torquey Maxima engine. Keep it up and into the sweep spot all the way down the track. Without traction I'm afraid first gear would be wasted at any speed.
and dont forget, as fun as it can be, in the auto max we should really stay away from toastin the tires (im not sayin that u do) becasue no matter how beefed up ur tranny is, once the tires get really loose, it can overheat and burn out the clutch packs in the tranny. so no foolin around for the automax if ur smart, not even the level10 can hold out too long if stupidly abused. im really cosidering getting those nittoNT555R drag radials in the front, and once those wear out, then come the rims. the reason im cosidering those is that even with the auto i get a whole lotta wheelspin in the max, if those wheels grip for the first few seconds my 60' times will dramatically drop, and no heatin up the clutch pack.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:42 AM

you need a y-pipe and some sub-frames
Old 04-01-2005, 08:42 AM

oh yea 1 more post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:57 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I have a Dodge truck that runs 13.3's Wanna race?

Yeah, torque steer is an import problem. For some reason, Caddy has been making V8 fwd cars for a while now (some 300+ hp as well), and they never have that problem.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Torque steer is real bad for me, too. Definitely the design.

It also depends a lot on your tires, no?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 AM

The thread is two and a half years old!!! Credit to some loser newb hiking their post count to start a thread or send a PM...
Old 04-01-2005, 09:10 AM

it happens to me too,but not so bad where i couldnt control it after a few times.
its one of those things about your car you just learn to adapt to over time.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
The thread is two and a half years old!!! Credit to some loser newb hicking their post count to start a thread or send a PM...
Hahaha. Holy sh*t! How did I miss that? Wow...
Old 04-01-2005, 09:11 AM

The thread is two and a half years old!!! Credit to some loser newb hiking their post count to start a thread or send a PM...
so sad...
even worse i didnt see it...
Old 04-01-2005, 11:13 AM

Its been happening a lot lately because of the new 15 post minimum rule...
Old 04-01-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by andy99se-L
oh yea 1 more post

Now that is annoying...

Old 04-01-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster

Now that is annoying...

I see where you guys are coming from. Yeah, newbs can be trouble. BUT, give this guy a break. He did donate, in case nobody noticed. That already puts him a step above many others here.

And it's true that newbs are always being told to search before starting a new thread. Though I guess you can fault him for not checking the date. And me, too...
Old 04-01-2005, 11:22 AM

Reposting and digging up old threads is fine (to a certain degree)... but when someone, donor or not, posts "oh yea 1 more post" then that is kinda pushing it... then again, why should I care right?

I guess its almost as bad as me posting "Haha, that's funny... " or something like that... almost...
Old 04-01-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
That already puts him a step above many others here.
WTF does that mean? I chose to be a "second class citizen" for personal reasons and that still do not make me any less than some post whorin newb just because he donated.

out.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:34 AM

WTF does that mean? I chose to be a "second class citizen" for personal reasons and that still do not make me any less than some post whorin newb just because he donated.

out.
Yeah, I guess that didn't come out so well. What I meant was "above some of the other NEWBS here." Sorry 'bout that. As you can see, you have several years of 'Org seniority on me.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:28 PM
SuPeRmOd

you need a y-pipe and some sub-frames
oh yea 1 more post
looks like a newb whoring to get his post count. then he can start repost threads and pm questions probably in the stickies.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Larry
its typical of fwd cars, dont worry about it. just grip it and rip it!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:16 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by lex3015
its typical of fwd cars, dont worry about it. just grip it and rip it!
ummm, guess you haven't noticed how old this thread is??? not to mention "Larry" hasn't posted in almost 2 years?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
looks like a newb whoring to get his post count. then he can start repost threads and pm questions probably in the stickies.
... well put...