5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Knocking in steering column

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Knocking in steering column

Has anyone out there had this problem???? When going over very bumpy roads anywhere between 5-35mph I have a knocking in the steering column. It sounds like it's just behind the steering wheel, but I think it may be coming from lower down. Anyway stupid farkers at dealership looked at it and said that they, "could not duplicate customers complaint". I got ****ed and a service technician for a drive and of course I could not duplicate it to the extent it that it happens. None of the roads were bumpy enough in that area. They treated me like I was a dumb *** and told me it was the hood and they fixed it. Well guess what it still farking does it. I will be paying another visit to the dealer very shortly and chewing out some idiot until I get some results.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:26 AM

Re: Knocking in steering column

Originally posted by OzMax2K2
Has anyone out there had this problem???? When going over very bumpy roads anywhere between 5-35mph I have a knocking in the steering column. It sounds like it's just behind the steering wheel, but I think it may be coming from lower down. Anyway stupid farkers at dealership looked at it and said that they, "could not duplicate customers complaint". I got ****ed and a service technician for a drive and of course I could not duplicate it to the extent it that it happens. None of the roads were bumpy enough in that area. They treated me like I was a dumb *** and told me it was the hood and they fixed it. Well guess what it still farking does it. I will be paying another visit to the dealer very shortly and chewing out some idiot until I get some results.
I have it too. It only does it in really bumpy roads. I believe it is normal. I think the steering parts may need some play to avoid excessive wear... It is annoying though.
Old 06-08-2002, 10:15 AM
lcf

omg another problem with the 2k2s!
Old 06-08-2002, 11:32 AM

I have had this exact same problem with my 2k1. I just thought it was normal. I took it too a dealer and they diagnosed it as a faulty clockspring in the steering column. The steering column was replaced under warantee. No more rattling and loose steering over low speed bumps and ripples.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for your help guys. It's really appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!