5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For all you 02 Maxima Owners.... Spring Popping Noise??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 11:36 PM

For all you 02 Maxima Owners.... Spring Popping Noise??

My mom Purchased an 02 Infinti I35 in April. Well after about 1,000 Miles I drove the car and When I first start it up when the ABS does a Self Check, the self check doesn't sound normal. It sounds like a Spring Popping. It sounds as though ABS is engaging. Infiniti Mechanics keep telling us its normal. but my 3000GT doesn't do it..its self check is really hard to hear. My Aunts '02 Altima 3.5 doesn't do it either. All the cars we own have ABS execpt the Maxima and we know its not Normal. I remember reading a post about a Maxima Owner having the same problems but i can't locate the thread.
Also I might add her VDC(Vechical Dynamic Control) Engages without the car even coming close to sliding or losing control. It Happen onced with me...I was going in a turn approx 50 Mph....I can take it a about 65 no problem. and The car applied the brakes really hard one time.
Second time my mom was going in a turn and she said a 'Slip' Light Flashed and the car applied the brakes 3 separte times..slowing the car down...along with the ABS "Spring popping" noise.

I'm not an Idiot and I know what ABS is suppose to sound like when it does its 'Self Check' and when its engaging. But the Selfcheck sounds like its engaging its so loud its embarrassing. People ride in the car ask what that noise was. and we tell them "oh thats just the ABS system doing a self check" they then feel insecure riding in the car with brakes making that sound. And recommend that it sound have it checked out. So Finally my dad brought the car up there and mad them do keep it for a week. And they gave us a G35 to drive as a loaner. We took it to Ohio and back and did not notice one problem with the ABS. We listened for that noise and didn't hear it.
Well they called back today and said they couldn't find any problems. But Now my mom is seriously thinking about trading her car either on a RX300 Lexus or a G35.
Anyone know what the Heck is wrong with her car??
People at Infiniti are treating us as though we know nothing about cars, and their're features.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:03 AM

Re: For all you 02 Maxima Owners.... Spring Popping Noise??

Originally posted by CometMAX
My mom Purchased an 02 Infinti I35 in April. Well after about 1,000 Miles I drove the car and When I first start it up when the ABS does a Self Check, the self check doesn't sound normal. It sounds like a Spring Popping. It sounds as though ABS is engaging. Infiniti Mechanics keep telling us its normal. but my 3000GT doesn't do it..its self check is really hard to hear. My Aunts '02 Altima 3.5 doesn't do it either. All the cars we own have ABS execpt the Maxima and we know its not Normal. I remember reading a post about a Maxima Owner having the same problems but i can't locate the thread.
Also I might add her VDC(Vechical Dynamic Control) Engages without the car even coming close to sliding or losing control. It Happen onced with me...I was going in a turn approx 50 Mph....I can take it a about 65 no problem. and The car applied the brakes really hard one time.
Second time my mom was going in a turn and she said a 'Slip' Light Flashed and the car applied the brakes 3 separte times..slowing the car down...along with the ABS "Spring popping" noise.

I'm not an Idiot and I know what ABS is suppose to sound like when it does its 'Self Check' and when its engaging. But the Selfcheck sounds like its engaging its so loud its embarrassing. People ride in the car ask what that noise was. and we tell them "oh thats just the ABS system doing a self check" they then feel insecure riding in the car with brakes making that sound. And recommend that it sound have it checked out. So Finally my dad brought the car up there and mad them do keep it for a week. And they gave us a G35 to drive as a loaner. We took it to Ohio and back and did not notice one problem with the ABS. We listened for that noise and didn't hear it.
Well they called back today and said they couldn't find any problems. But Now my mom is seriously thinking about trading her car either on a RX300 Lexus or a G35.
Anyone know what the Heck is wrong with her car??
People at Infiniti are treating us as though we know nothing about cars, and their're features.
It really depends on the car. The "Self Check" noise in my wife's Villager is pretty obvious but I can hardly feel anything in my 2k2 Maxima. Since the I35 and the Max are pretty much identical vehicles, I think you're right in believing something is not right. Go to the dealer and ask to try another 2k2 I35 and take the SM with you.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: For all you 02 Maxima Owners.... Spring Popping Noise??

Originally posted by GimmeTorq

It really depends on the car. The "Self Check" noise in my wife's Villager is pretty obvious but I can hardly feel anything in my 2k2 Maxima. Since the I35 and the Max are pretty much identical vehicles, I think you're right in believing something is not right. Go to the dealer and ask to try another 2k2 I35 and take the SM with you.

We've did that and that car didn't do it. Also the right HID Headlight is a little whiter compared to the other one. I posted earlier about that and someone said to wait about 60 Hrs run time and the should even themselves out. Well its been 7,000 miles and its gotton worst. And this is after you turn them on and they turn from a deep blue to a light blue. That right one just turns all the way white. Infiniti Said they will ajust them and it could be the aiming....How can aiming affect the color of the light???
Old 06-08-2002, 02:06 PM

TTT