5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of Leaving Nissan!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 10:12 AM

Thinking of Leaving Nissan!!!

I was talking to the wife this weekend and I mentioned to her that I was not happy with the Maxima. She asked what car would I like if I wanted to change it? I told her a BMW M3 convertible or a Corvette Z06 convertible. After a brief discussion she said to me "You can afford it so you should buy it." She also said "the only reason she agreed to the Maxima is because she believed that was the car I really wanted" (She wanted a BMW 540i).

To make a long story short I know there will be some fees to pay if I return the Max before my lease is up. So what I need of the .org is real opinions on if I should just hold out to the end of the Lease or should I cut my loses and go for the Vette or Bimmer

Any comments (good or bad) on both cars will be helpful

Nice
Old 06-10-2002, 10:20 AM

Re: Thinking of Leaving Nissan!!!

Originally posted by nice95GLE
I was talking to the wife this weekend and I mentioned to her that I was not happy with the Maxima. She asked what car would I like if I wanted to change it? I told her a BMW M3 convertible or a Corvette Z06 convertible. After a brief discussion she said to me "You can afford it so you should buy it." She also said "the only reason she agreed to the Maxima is because she believed that was the car I really wanted" (She wanted a BMW 540i).

To make a long story short I know there will be some fees to pay if I return the Max before my lease is up. So what I need of the .org is real opinions on if I should just hold out to the end of the Lease or should I cut my loses and go for the Vette or Bimmer

Any comments (good or bad) on both cars will be helpful

Nice
That all depends on how much you want the new car. Personally, I have always been one to take the the offer when presented, so I would go for the Corvette Z06. You can worry about dumping the Maxima afterword, or just keep both cars if you can afford it
Old 06-10-2002, 10:21 AM
jjs

uh....

am I missing something here?

You say you can afford $40K+ cars, but are worried about fees on a lease?

Something isn't jiving here....

Old 06-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Corvette

The Z06 only comes in a coup! That is just an aside, I think you should try to transfer the lease first then by the BMW or Corvette.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:26 AM

Have you heard of these new "lease trading" sites?
http://www.swapalease.com
http://www.leasetrading.com
I really don't know what they are about, but I'll bet they could save you a few thousand dollars.

Worth a shot.

PS No Z06 convertible yet.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: uh....

Originally posted by jjs

No matter how much money a person makes, they may not and shouldn't want to just throw it away. Half the people who are doing very well are that way because they care where every dollar goes.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by jjs

I don't what to spend too much unnecessary money.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:46 AM
jjs

Well then, to both you and Hobart...

don't spend ANY additional money (lease tranfers, fees, etc.) and run the lease out....that would be your BEST financial decision.

I don't need a lecture on financial management, but since the orignal position on this was brought up and by the mere fact that paying lease fees was an option, apparently you were willing to track where every dollar went, even if out the window.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: Well then, to both you and Hobart...

Dont return the car to Nissan and cut the lease short. You will pay fees, etc, but it will show up on your credit as a "repo"
Your best bet is to sell the car for the lease payoff, or trade the lease car in on the car you want. They will pay off the lease. You may have a couple thousand that roll into your next car. But you will be out of the lease and it will not affect your credit.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If fit and finish is important to you the Corvette will be lacking in that department. The new M3 is a car you will be very pleased with. If you want raw performance go Z06 but no convertable. It is hard to top the quality of the Maxima even for another 20k!

I want the new G35 coupe! In a 6 speed
Old 06-10-2002, 11:02 AM

Not happy with the Maxima and you're thinking about the M3?? Perhaps this will make you appreciate the max a bit more . . . . .

http://members.roadfly.org/jason/m3engines.htm

DW
Old 06-10-2002, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Not happy with the Maxima and you're thinking about the M3?? Perhaps this will make you appreciate the max a bit more . . . . .

http://members.roadfly.org/jason/m3engines.htm

DW
You just reminded me of the probs with the M3s. BMW had this prob with older 4ltr V8s too. I tell ya there is probably no better motor than the 3.0 Max.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Maximam
If fit and finish is important to you the Corvette will be lacking in that department. The new M3 is a car you will be very pleased with. If you want raw performance go Z06 but no convertable. It is hard to top the quality of the Maxima even for another 20k!

I want the new G35 coupe! In a 6 speed

I was reading somewhere, in Motortrend I think, that the 50th Anniversary Vette has an improved interior. So if that would have been an issue, it may no longer be so.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Hobert

I was reading somewhere, in Motortrend I think, that the 50th Anniversary Vette has an improved interior. So if that would have been an issue, it may no longer be so.
I will have a hard time believing Chevy will ever put the $ into the proper materials that is needed to make a quality interior. Not to mention the way items are designed to attach and fit.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:21 PM

What exactly are you unhappy about?
Old 06-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Maxima Pilot

As an ex-owner of a 540/6, lemme tell

you -you'll be spoiled for life but be prepared to pay for it and it will nickle & dime u to death.
First is dread E39 front-end shimmy...the slightest rotor warpage and/or tire imbalance will drive the front end to shake.
Second, the LED displays in the computer thingy go bad frequently...not a problem under warranty but then....
Third: the BMW service inspections are outrageous -like 700 bucks for Inspection I.
Fourth: the paint is worse than the Maxima's. You will chip it just by looking at it hard.

All that said, the mechanicals are bulletproof. Deathly silent...one can have a perfect comversation a 100 mph with not a trace of wind noise. The ride is firm but cushy...none of the sharp jarring one gets from a Max. The V8 is awesome...beyond words.

Now, why dont you wait another year and the the E60 5xx which will come out in 2004? Buy an E39 now and it's a seven-year old design which will change next year...probably the worst time to buy an E39 is now...
Old 06-10-2002, 12:39 PM

Go with the Z06, if you do get rid of the Max...I almost bought a used C5 instead of my Max, but the wife prevailed. The Max and M3 are great for getting around quickly, and the M3 offers nearly the same level of performance as the Z06, but the Vette is a pure sports car. It doesn't have to try to excel at carrying four people and shuttling kids around, so it provides a much better "driver's experience," IMHO. Give me 6 or 7 years and I'll buy your Z06 off ya!
Old 06-10-2002, 02:23 PM
Sanduguero

I think you should just leave the ORG!!!!
This is a MAXIMA website!!
THE HOME FOR MAXIMA ENTHUSIASTS NOT the BMW Website...
I hope that help!!
Old 06-10-2002, 02:33 PM
lcf

Originally posted by playero
I think you should just leave the ORG!!!!
This is a MAXIMA website!!
THE HOME FOR MAXIMA ENTHUSIASTS NOT the BMW Website...
I hope that help!!
it doesnt help.

nice95GLE, life is too short to not be happy. if you want a car... and you can afford it. BUY/LEASE it, even if it isnt the most "financially sound" decision you can make... who cares. happiness is what matters. some might say that marriage isnt financially sound but people do it because they want it...

ive wanted the maxima for years. finally i was able to afford one. an M car is next on my list.

good luck.

Old 06-10-2002, 03:15 PM
I miss the .org!

Yes, that is correct. The interior of a vette is no different than that of a cavilier rental car. Same cheap plastics and fugly *****/buttons.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by lcf
it doesnt help.

nice95GLE, life is too short to not be happy. if you want a car... and you can afford it. BUY/LEASE it, even if it isnt the most "financially sound" decision you can make... who cares. happiness is what matters. some might say that marriage isnt financially sound but people do it because they want it...

ive wanted the maxima for years. finally i was able to afford one. an M car is next on my list.

good luck.

LCF is correct You owe it to yourself to live a little. If that is what you really want, then you will have no regrets. You only live once. I was once in a similar situation, and I went for the Corvette. Good Luck and I hope this helps......
Old 06-10-2002, 04:31 PM

After a brief discussion she said to me "You can afford it so you should buy it." She also said "the only reason she agreed to the Maxima is because she believed that was the car I really wanted" (She wanted a BMW 540i).
You got a Maxima over a 540i?
Old 06-10-2002, 04:43 PM
I miss the .org!

Re: Re: Thinking of Leaving Nissan!!!

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Yeah that's insane. I say go with the M3 all the way!!! My goal is to have one before I'm 30 (I got 10 years to reach that goal!).
Old 06-11-2002, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by AndyXXL
A lot has changed since I got the Max last Oct. I got a big promotion at work and I'm making a lot more money. At the time I could not of afford a $40K+ car.

Thank guys for all the help I believe I will wait until the next gen vette (saw some drawings yesterday of the next vette. It looks really hot) and next gen 5 series (might be a better bang for the buck than the M3).

Over-all the Max is a great car, it's fast, it's roomy and its looks is unique; but my beef is with the FWD setup. I really want a true Sport sedan/coupe or a true sport car. From all the car I've driven and from all the cars that my family members have owned the BMW and the Vette really stands out.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:23 AM

I saw a 7xxi something... Looks very very nice. Sorry... off topic but one was driving in front of me yesterday.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:35 AM

A lot has changed since I got the Max last Oct. I got a big promotion at work and I'm making a lot more money. At the time I could not of afford a $40K+ car.

Thank guys for all the help I believe I will wait until the next gen vette (saw some drawings yesterday of the next vette. It looks really hot) and next gen 5 series (might be a better bang for the buck than the M3).

Over-all the Max is a great car, it's fast, it's roomy and its looks is unique; but my beef is with the FWD setup. I really want a true Sport sedan/coupe or a true sport car. From all the car I've driven and from all the cars that my family members have owned the BMW and the Vette really stands out.
Try the G35 - RWD + all the goods for less than $35k!
Old 06-11-2002, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by noflash
Try the G35 - RWD + all the goods for less than $35k!
Thank you very much. I completely forgot about the G35 coupe