5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

292 @ less than 9psi of boost, plus custom intercooler plus big brake kit review

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 08:00 PM

292 @ less than 9psi of boost, plus custom intercooler plus big brake kit review

Well, I’ve been promising it for a while now, and after some problems and delays I have the story.

For those that don’t know, I now have a custom front mount air to air intercooler, custom exhaust, 3.25 pulley, Apexi super afc, plugs, 8:1 fmu stuff like that is all now in. O yeah it's a 2000.

Anyway, after a few problems and delays it is all-together now, everything looks great, the exhaust is one of the best I’ve heard. Very factory sports car like, cars like the vette, m3, Porsche’s; cars like that that’s what I sounds like.

However I regret to say that the intercooler is dropping 3 psi of boost…very sad indeed…Yes I know it’s a lot, the reason has not yet been found, so please no comments on it’s drop,we all know it sucks, but if you have suggestions on things to check feel free to post that. If the reason can’t be found, it may be time to go with the 2.87 pulley, or maybe just time to get the 2.87 anyway.

The car was tested for boost, by bypassing the intercooler and the car made just a little shy of 9 psi of boost on the 3.25 pulley and made 292 hp…Hence the attention grabbing title, But again sadly on the intercooler with boost drop down to 6psi it only made about 260ish(auto). And the afc neeeded to be of course cranked way down. The funny thing is the car rips into other cars, I had a few sports cars run ins, things like the s2000, Camero, old school pumped up mustangs, and a rough mustang, I whipped up on all but the roush, that one was fun.

And for those that doubt the stuff I did to the tranny, don’t, that thing is sick. No lag, no wheel spin. Screw a five speed.

Also the boost, volt, and a/f gauge are all digital, and custom mounted in where the clock( really rebuilt) was inside tinted plexi, it looks really kewl, much more clean than a pillar style, I got some shots of it, look for that soon.

I also know some guys where looking for my impressions on the Stillen big brake 2 piece roter kit, 4 piston calipers, and lines, etc. Here is my review, it’s great….really great…stops on a dime from every speed, only problem is that if you tap the brakes a little to much you stop a little to soon unexpectedly at first. They take a while to adapt to, but once you do, it’s a lot of fun…Is it worth the cash? Well you have to decide, they are priced at about what all kits like that are, but they are great.

I took pics of everything this weekend, I gotta wait for um to come back, then my friend, and teammate is going to make the site up, when it’s done I’ll come back and update everything, and you everyone know.

If you have questions of comments feel free to post.

I also figure I'll take this chance to up date the mod listFor those that want the list of updated mods here it is…Or for those that don't here it is any way

.....Engine-

Vortech V2-SQ Supercharger

3.25 pulley

Custom Intercooler and Powder coated Pipes

Greddy Type- S Compressor Bypass Valve

Custom Exhaust w/ high flow cat & Resonator

Apex-I Super AFC

NGK spark Plugs- 2 steps Colder

Vortech 8:1 FMU

Aluminum Idler & Tensioner pulleys

.....Wheels & Tires

19”X 8.5” Volk Racing AV3

Yokohama AVS Sport 245-35-19

..........Brakes...Front
........4 piston calipers
......13” Drilled and slotted Rotors
......Stainless Steel Brake lines
.......Pads
.............Rear
.........Drilled Rotors
..........S.S. Brake lines
...........Pads

......Suspension

Cattman Coilovers – Generation 2

Stillen Front Strut tower Bar

Stillen Rear Sway Bar

.........Transmission-

Upgraded and blueprinted transaxle for extreme duty application, which includes durability upgrades, balancing of internal components, and valve body modification.

Custom axle

Custom Transaxle housing

Heavy-duty differential

Torrington bearing set

Teflon Bushing kit

Kolene direct steel

Ceramic direct clutchs

Kevlar Bands

Billet clutch drum (high Drum)

Race sleeves

Tapered roller bearings

Ring and Pinion Gear set

Case harden torque converter input hub and fluid balanced the converter

Hardened input shaft

A Custom form of Posi- traction

New gear ratio

Grade A bolts

Custom Fluid

Pressure Switch

...........Audio

Amps- (3) Zapco C2k 2.0

Processors- (3) Zapco Eq 30 – Sl- Equalizers
.............Zapco Slx-4- Crossover
.............Zapco Da2-sl - D/A converter
.............Zapco Vfm-Sl –Balanced line transmitter
.............Zapco Psi- Power supply

Head unit- Nakamichi Mb100- 6 disk in dash changer

Speakers/Subs- Mb Quart QSD 6.5 components
...............Mb Quart 10“ Premium

Power- SVR Battery
.......Alumapro’s “The Cap” 15 Farad capacitor

........Miscellaneous-
Viper alarm
Zapco Symbilink Cables
Dakota Digital Gauges
Front and rear Clear side markers
Old 06-16-2002, 08:05 PM

Re: 292 @ less than 9psi of boost, plus custom intercooler plus big brake kit review

Originally posted by max'n out
Well, I’ve been promising it for a while now, and after some problems and delays I have the story.

For those that don’t know, I now have a custom front mount air to air intercooler, custom exhaust, 3.25 pulley, Apexi super afc, plugs, 8:1 fmu stuff like that is all now in. O yeah it's a 2000.

Anyway, after a few problems and delays it is all-together now, everything looks great, the exhaust is one of the best I’ve heard. Very factory sports car like, cars like the vette, m3, Porsche’s; cars like that that’s what I sounds like.

However I regret to say that the intercooler is dropping 3 psi of boost…very sad indeed…Yes I know it’s a lot, the reason has not yet been found, so please no comments on it’s drop,we all know it sucks, but if you have suggestions on things to check feel free to post that. If the reason can’t be found, it may be time to go with the 2.87 pulley, or maybe just time to get the 2.87 anyway.

The car was tested for boost, by bypassing the intercooler and the car made just a little shy of 9 psi of boost on the 3.25 pulley and made 292 hp…Hence the attention grabbing title, But again sadly on the intercooler with boost drop down to 6psi it only made about 260ish(auto). And the afc neeeded to be of course cranked way down. The funny thing is the car rips into other cars, I had a few sports cars run ins, things like the s2000, Camero, old school pumped up mustangs, and a rough mustang, I whipped up on all but the roush, that one was fun.

And for those that doubt the stuff I did to the tranny, don’t, that thing is sick. No lag, no wheel spin. Screw a five speed.

Also the boost, volt, and a/f gauge are all digital, and custom mounted in where the clock( really rebuilt) was inside tinted plexi, it looks really kewl, much more clean than a pillar style, I got some shots of it, look for that soon.

I also know some guys where looking for my impressions on the Stillen big brake 2 piece roter kit, 4 piston calipers, and lines, etc. Here is my review, it’s great….really great…stops on a dime from every speed, only problem is that if you tap the brakes a little to much you stop a little to soon unexpectedly at first. They take a while to adapt to, but once you do, it’s a lot of fun…Is it worth the cash? Well you have to decide, they are priced at about what all kits like that are, but they are great.

I took pics of everything this weekend, I gotta wait for um to come back, then my friend, and teammate is going to make the site up, when it’s done I’ll come back and update everything, and you everyone know.

I also figure I'll take this chance to up date the mod listFor those that want the list of updated mods here it is…Or for those that don't here it is any way

.....Engine-

3.25 pulley

Apex-I Super AFC

.....Wheels & Tires

..........Brakes...Front
.......Pads
.............Rear
.........Drilled Rotors
...........Pads

......Suspension

Stillen Rear Sway Bar

.........Transmission-

Upgraded and blueprinted transaxle for extreme duty application, which includes durability upgrades, balancing of internal components, and valve body modification.

Custom axle

Custom Transaxle housing

Heavy-duty differential

Torrington bearing set

Teflon Bushing kit

Kolene direct steel

Ceramic direct clutchs

Kevlar Bands

Race sleeves

Tapered roller bearings

Ring and Pinion Gear set

Hardened input shaft

New gear ratio

Grade A bolts

Custom Fluid

Pressure Switch

...........Audio

Amps- (3) Zapco C2k 2.0

Power- SVR Battery

........Miscellaneous-
Viper alarm
Zapco Symbilink Cables
Dakota Digital Gauges
nice sig, I almost need DSL or a cable to download it.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

.....Engine-

3.25 pulley

Apex-I Super AFC

.....Wheels & Tires

..........Brakes...Front
.......Pads
.............Rear
.........Drilled Rotors
...........Pads

......Suspension

Stillen Rear Sway Bar

.........Transmission-

Custom axle

Custom Transaxle housing

Heavy-duty differential

Torrington bearing set

Teflon Bushing kit

Kolene direct steel

Ceramic direct clutchs

Kevlar Bands

Race sleeves

Tapered roller bearings

Ring and Pinion Gear set

Hardened input shaft

New gear ratio

Grade A bolts

Custom Fluid

Pressure Switch

...........Audio

Amps- (3) Zapco C2k 2.0

Power- SVR Battery

........Miscellaneous-
Viper alarm
Zapco Symbilink Cables
Dakota Digital Gauges
speechless
Old 06-16-2002, 09:32 PM

Boost leak

Ok on the issue of losing 3 psi of boost...with a large intercooler sometimes the pressure drop can reach 3 psi. Your intercooler may just be too big for your application. Most front mounts for Ecilpses
have a 2 psi pressure drop. Secondly, on my Eclipse GSX, I had a Greddy blow off valve, (I bought it used) and it was leaking 4 psi of boost. Take it apart and make sure the rubber ring in it isn't torn. I'm assuming its brand new so it should't be a problem, but it might. You probably already did this but double check all of your hose clamps and if you're not using T-bolt clamps, well they are 100% reliable.

Jesse
Old 06-16-2002, 10:03 PM

Re: Boost leak

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
Ok on the issue of losing 3 psi of boost...with a large intercooler sometimes the pressure drop can reach 3 psi. Your intercooler may just be too big for your application. Most front mounts for Ecilpses
have a 2 psi pressure drop. Secondly, on my Eclipse GSX, I had a Greddy blow off valve, (I bought it used) and it was leaking 4 psi of boost. Take it apart and make sure the rubber ring in it isn't torn. I'm assuming its brand new so it should't be a problem, but it might. You probably already did this but double check all of your hose clamps and if you're not using T-bolt clamps, well they are 100% reliable.

Jesse
Funny you say that like that The intercooler is very large, and I was kinda thinking the same thing, and it also started out as a custom intercooler for an eclipse, then moded to work on mine. It's not the bov I tried that first, pulled it out and put a plug in for no chance there.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:23 AM

Re: Re: Boost leak

Originally posted by max'n out

Funny you say that like that The intercooler is very large, and I was kinda thinking the same thing, and it also started out as a custom intercooler for an eclipse, then moded to work on mine. It's not the bov I tried that first, pulled it out and put a plug in for no chance there.
I must be lucky because I have a 3.25 also and a custom intercooler nd I'm not loosing any boost really. I can hit 9psi consistently in 2nd & 3rd gear.

Deac
Old 06-17-2002, 05:48 AM

So aye you going to scan the dyno plots and post them or what?
Old 06-17-2002, 06:14 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)